Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/21/2016 1:54:31 PM EDT
This is the first AK I've bought in 25 years. My very first was a Norinco and I still enjoy that rifle. I got the itch again and bought my first Yugo M70 pattern rifle this week from J&Gsales. I'm quite impressed with this rifle's build quality and the subtle differences between the Yugo and Norinco such as: the flip up night sights, grenade launcher flip up/gas cut off system, milled receiver, threaded barrel w/slant break, etc... I'm taking it to my club later today to see how she groups with the Wolf case I also received. Now for the pics, Enjoy!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I like it!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats.  Good looking rifle, it should serve you well.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  You need more ammo.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!  You need more ammo.
View Quote

I know, I get antsy when I get under 3K rounds for any serious firearm I have... I plan to fix that before Nov 1...
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Congrats.  Good looking rifle, it should serve you well.
View Quote

Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like it!
View Quote

I do too... especially after I shot it tonight. After some of the posts I read with guys saying how uncomfortable these rifles are shoot with the underfolder stocks. But she shot smoother than my old Norinco does only with less push and with much less muzzle rise; this surprised the hell out of me! I put 180 rounds thru her. 120 were using the magazine as a Mono-pod on the cross/bench, 60 standing with the stock tight against my shoulder; all were at 25 yards... Here are some club pics!

This group using the mag as a monopod on the bench...

The long rice looking material was from the club wall as a result of the bolt slinging the empties against it...

Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:23:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Sweet looking rifle man. I miss my underfolder.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks nice.  Is the stock tight when locked?
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
The in-line underfolders are centered closer to the bore axis and make for less muzzle rise and recoil (imo)
I have in-line and angled underfolders (angled like on early style type 3's).
Both muzzle rise and recoil are more noticeable on the angled type UF.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I see you were at Sandy Springs. I shoot mine at Norcross lol.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sweet looking rifle man. I miss my underfolder.
View Quote

Thanks. It shot so much smoother than my old Norinco ever has. I don't know if it's because the gas port on the Norinco is oversized or if it's because the Yugo has a milled receiver thus adding rigidity. But the Norinco weighs a half pound more due to its solid stock. So its just a guess at this point but the Yugo is very comfortable shooting almost 200 rounds Wolf 123gr HP ammo. This is the first AK I've owned where I didn't have to adjust/drift the front sight for accuracy so that's a plus. I'm pleasantly surprised with this rifle...
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks nice.  Is the stock tight when locked?
View Quote

Yes, the stock is tighter than it needs to be in all honestly. I'm hoping/thinking that with use and time that it will loosen up a bit. It stays locked into the shoulder with no movement or shifting when shooting unsupported. I'm amazed at the accuracy and the smooth/light recoil impulse. The ammo I'm using is full house loaded to Mil-Spec from my understanding. I would have bought this rifle years earlier if I knew I could have gotten this exact rifle. I'm digging the Yugo version for sure! Ordered another 1K rounds of Barnaul lacquer coated 7.62's last night from SGAmmo... So you can tell I'm excited to shoot this rifle some more!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The in-line underfolders are centered closer to the bore axis and make for less muzzle rise and recoil (imo)
View Quote

You know, that makes a lot of sense. It's like my CZ P-01 and SP-01 pistols... they are the softest recoiling 9mm pistols I've ever shot especially with 147 grain ammo, ever! I'm thinking I should have bought (2) of these rifles... Hmmm...
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah! It was totally vacated at 3:30 yesterday! I had all of range (2) to myself for over an hour...
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah! It was totally vacated at 3:30 yesterday! I had all of range (2) to myself for over an hour...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's always nice. I like it when the lanes are empty, you don't have to follow any safety rules. JK

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You know, that makes a lot of sense. It's like my CZ P-01 and SP-01 pistols... they are the softest recoiling 9mm pistols I've ever shot especially with 147 grain ammo, ever! I'm thinking I should have bought (2) of these rifles... Hmmm...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the angle of the stock on the Norinco as well. Chinese stocks are angled like the T3 AK-47, unlike the more in-line stock found on most AKM rifles. When the chinese went to the stamped receiver they kept just about all the original parts from the milled version. If it bothers you too much you can use an AKM stock by filing/sanding down the part that fits into the rear trunnion and plugging the existing screw holes in the AKM stock and redrilling them for the wider spaced chinese stock screw location.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's always nice. I like it when the lanes are empty, you don't have to follow any safety rules. JK

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahahaha! Hell, I was just glad to be against a wall on the right side. At least then I only have to worry about ND's from the left! Since I was the only one there I didn't have to worry about the left side either; which was nice. I've seen some sorry stupid shit go on at that range unchecked in regards to newbs shooting the ceiling, the wall, other lane's targets, fingers in trigger guards while loading, etc... I'm thinking it might be safer to just pony up and join Riverbend, seriously!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 6:33:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the angle of the stock on the Norinco as well. Chinese stocks are angled like the T3 AK-47, unlike the more in-line stock found on most AKM rifles. When the chinese went to the stamped receiver they kept just about all the original parts from the milled version. If it bothers you too much you can use an AKM stock by filing/sanding down the part that fits into the rear trunnion and plugging the existing screw holes in the AKM stock and redrilling them for the wider spaced chinese stock screw location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Solid post and recommendation! Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 11:10:50 AM EDT
[#19]
The more I shoot this rifle the more I like it. I wrapped black Para-cord neat & tight around both side arms of the underfolding stock and also around the butt of said stock. It took about an hour but it's on right. Now it shoots even that much more comfortable. I ordered another 1K rounds of the Barnaul white box 123 grain Mil-Spec ammo because I've ran thru so much of the first case in just two range outings. I don't know if Century is outsourcing these rifles on contract, (think I read they were outsourced but can't remember to who), to be built by someone else but I do know that these M70AB clones are put together well. The stock locks up nice and tight and the FSB's have zero sight cant. I'm most impressed by the machining and fitment of the receiver to barrel fit. I was expecting a rough recoiling carbine given the underfolding design but am pleasantly surprised she's soft shooting. A friend ordered one after shooting mine and it came assembled exactly the same way as mine and shoots just as smooth. I'll update this thread every range day to post any problems and it's progress. Thanks for the comments and for looking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Century Yugos have always had a good rep as solid shooters.  The fact that yours works well isn't much of a surprise.

Century deservedly takes hits for some of their shit, but their Yugos are solid.

Link Posted: 10/27/2016 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Century Yugos have always had a good rep as solid shooters.  The fact that yours works well isn't much of a surprise.

Century deservedly takes hits for some of their shit, but their Yugos are solid.

View Quote

" />

I love my CAI Yugo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good to know. Hell, I'm happy so far. What models does, or did Century put out that are dumpster fires??? I only care because I'm thinking about buying (1) more AK before I close the check book. If I can find another Yugo version problem solved. If not then I'll be looking for other options...
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good to know. Hell, I'm happy so far. What models does, or did Century put out that are dumpster fires??? I only care because I'm thinking about buying (1) more AK before I close the check book. If I can find another Yugo version problem solved. If not then I'll be looking for other options...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Avoid the RAS47 series - numerous issues with heat treating and failures of cast trunnions and even some issues with barrel components. The C39 had some early issues with carrier and bolt heat treating, but the C39V2 seems to be OK and I believe it passed the AKOU test..

If you like Yugos, Century has imported a number of Yugo/Serbian PAP rifles and still currently offers the N-PAP, N-PAP DF underfolder, and the PAP M92/M85 pistol series. I believe there are still quantities of O-PAP rifles out there (these have the heavier RPK receiver), as well as some of the 5.56 M90 PAP rifles (that use AR mags) and the M77 .308.

The N-PAP and WASR are probably still the two best economical buys on the imported Euro AK market.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I've noticed a few people lately keeping the carrier condom on...
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I didn't even realize mine was just for shipping when I got my first AK.  If you don't wear gloves, it does make the charging more finger-friendly if you can manage to keep it on.
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Avoid the RAS47 series - numerous issues with heat treating and failures of cast trunnions and even some issues with barrel components. The C39 had some early issues with carrier and bolt heat treating, but the C39V2 seems to be OK and I believe it passed the AKOU test..

If you like Yugos, Century has imported a number of Yugo/Serbian PAP rifles and still currently offers the N-PAP, N-PAP DF underfolder, and the PAP M92/M85 pistol series. I believe there are still quantities of O-PAP rifles out there (these have the heavier RPK receiver), as well as some of the 5.56 M90 PAP rifles (that use AR mags) and the M77 .308.

The N-PAP and WASR are probably still the two best economical buys on the imported Euro AK market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you so much for your incite! I really appreciate you taking the time to post that valuable info. This really will help me in my search and decision!
Link Posted: 10/28/2016 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RAS47, as mentioned, the first-gen C39s, and the Century-built Tantals are the biggest offenders. Their Bulgarian AK74 Sporters were a crapshoot.

Century did well with the Yugos and the Polish 1960s (both purportedly farmed-out) and I don't really recall many complaints about their milled-Hungarians, other than the incorrectness of the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 1:17:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

RAS47, as mentioned, the first-gen C39s, and the Century-built Tantals are the biggest offenders. Their Bulgarian AK74 Sporters were a crapshoot.

Century did well with the Yugos and the Polish 1960s (both purportedly farmed-out) and I don't really recall many complaints about their milled-Hungarians, other than the incorrectness of the receiver.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know! I've always been interested/wanted an AK in 5.45 caliber. I'm thinking about maybe another Yugo in 5.45x39 but a while back I heard something about that particular caliber/ammo is drying up or some other problem with supply. Is that still an issue? If not then that's my next caliber/rifle!
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hahahaha... yes, it's on pretty snug and it keeps it from digging/snagging into my truck and Jeep's interior when pulling it out. It certainly makes charging a round a bit easier on the index finger(s) as well. I wear gloves 90% of the time anyways but I thought hell; this "condom" is sticking on pretty good so why not just leave it there until I lose it...
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#30]
I miss my underfolder. It was a Polish build, not the Yugo. It was stolen a few years ago.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Good to know! I've always been interested/wanted an AK in 5.45 caliber. I'm thinking about maybe another Yugo in 5.45x39 but a while back I heard something about that particular caliber/ammo is drying up or some other problem with supply. Is that still an issue? If not then that's my next caliber/rifle!
View Quote

The biggest draw of 5.45 for a lot of people (not all, but most) was the availability of dirt-cheap surplus 7n6 ammunition. The Reader's Digest version of the story is that a few years back the ATF decided that, when used in a pistol, 7n6 constituted impermissible armor piercing ammunition. The fact that the 5.45 pistol in question never made it to market notwithstanding, the ATF banned the importation and sale of 7n6.

While 7n6 is still available from private sellers, and commercial 5.45 is easy enough to find from online retailers, 5.45 lost some of its appeal to a lot of shooters. It's not something you can expect to find on the shelf of your local Walmart (like you can with 7.62x39) and magazines are more expensive, so its popularity has waned. That said, it's still widely available and is a very well-regarded round. Alas, since the Yugoslavians never adopted it, Zastava doesn't offer any rifles chambered in 5.45.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top