Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/18/2016 12:31:01 PM EDT
I haven't checked if mine has the paper clip thing in the trigger. Sorry I'm an ak noob. Just curious if there is anything internally that may need an upgrade? I will for sure be changing out the pistol grip as it's too slim.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd put a few hundred rounds through before you start changing stuff personally
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan to just waiting for my ammo to come in. Locally 7.62x39 is overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The recoil spring in my WASR was either too weak from the factory or wore out too fast by the 1k mark, didn't notice it til I compared it to my Draco pistol.
So after the break in period I'd look at a stronger recoil spring, I went with a Wolff spring.

There's a few good videos on doing a 15 minute polish job on the WASR to smooth it out, not necessary as it'll eventually wear it on it's own but it's a simple and safe process.

And that's really about it, everything else was just accessories. If your has the G2 trigger like mine did it's pretty good out of the box. I did take a little off the back of my hammer to smooth it out, there's plenty of threads covering that, how to ,how much, etc. And of course, it's nothing that affects operation or reliability, and will also wear in over time.

By 'paper clip' thing in the trigger, do you mean the Shepard's Hook? If so, I'd not worry about that, won't cause a problem. Unless you plan to replace your trigger you won't know it's there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Clean it, Zero it, then shoot it a lot.

Find out what you like and don't like.

If you don't like something, there's probably a mod for it.

On my N-PAP I ended up with: a stronger action spring, an optics mount, an RDS, and I slimmed the front post a bit.

The exception to this rule is magazines and ammunition. You can't have too much.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
What grip do you guys suggest?

My hands extend down a little bit past the bottom of the grip and I could go for something a bit thicker.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I haven't checked if mine has the paper clip thing in the trigger.
View Quote
Nothing wrong with that. Mr. K designed it that way. Trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. That's what people say about a buffer.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with that. Mr. K designed it that way. Trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. That's what people say about a buffer.  GARY
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's true that the shepherds crook works fine as is. The point in replacing it is for the sake of convenience and ease of use which the same can't be said about a buffer. Also, I've never heard anyone complain that their retaining plate made their gun short stroke or that they broke to pieces and jammed up their rifle.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What grip do you guys suggest?

My hands extend down a little bit past the bottom of the grip and I could go for something a bit thicker.
View Quote

Get a Magpul MOE AK Plus grip. I have used a lot of different stuff, but until Magpul comes out with a K2 version for the AK I'll be using that. A fixed Magpul stock would add some comfort as well.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's true that the shepherds crook works fine as is. The point in replacing it is for the sake of convenience and ease of use which the same can't be said about a buffer. Also, I've never heard anyone complain that their retaining plate made their gun short stroke or that they broke to pieces and jammed up their rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I like the plates.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Others have stated it, and I'll repeat it. Shoot the rifle a bit before you go on the accessorizing war path. I've had a WASR-3 for 7 years and the only thing I've changed is the pistol grip to a US Palm grip. Delightful little rifle.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Shoot it a bunch first. As far as grips I really like the MD Arms Molot grip. It's the only one I use now. I would also get the Tapco trigger pin retaining plate. After that everything is personal preference.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Trigger pin plate and optics.  I refinished the wood on mine too, but that was just because the factory wood looked like it wasn't even stained.  I replaced the slant brake with a birdcage too, but that was just for the heck of it.  I can't really tell a functional difference, but then again I don't shoot at night very much.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd put a few hundred rounds through before you start changing stuff personally
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Others have stated it, and I'll repeat it. Shoot the rifle a bit before you go on the accessorizing war path.
View Quote

^This, save your money for mags and ammo.

The one exception being an axis pin retainer plate, simply because if you ever pull the FCG out, you'll scream and curse the shepherd's hook with bloody fingers, unless you're some sort of magician.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I wound like to get a cheap sling for my rifle though since the one that came with the rifle will only work if I unscrew the sling mount.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:39:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Thanks man.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I went with a hogue grip on mine. I found the original grip too child sized. The hogue fits and fills my hand perfectly. Also I just bought a military style sling for mine and it works fine and its cheap.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I went with a hogue grip on mine. I found the original grip too child sized. The hogue fits and fills my hand perfectly.
View Quote

Yeah, this for me too.  First thing I get rid of on a new AK is that puny little grip.  Hogue is an excellent choice unless you don't want grippy/rubber, and then I would get an MOE AK grip.  I have both and like both way better than the skinny one.  Even the bakelite ones that came in my Bulgarian stock sets are beefier than the US-made ones that come on most new AKs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#21]
I sell those plates for $4 a piece. I've sold literally thousands of them and have many happy customers.  

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_123/1503078_WTS__AK47_74_FCG_Trigger_plates___4_00_each_shipped.html

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260468

At this site selling is not permitted in forum posts. From the conduct code, see #2

SPECIFIC TO SALES

1. Companies or individuals may not advertise or sell products and/or services in the forums without permission from an admin. (This includes siglines and titles.) Industry Partners are allowed to post sales or specials on a limited basis and also require admin permission.

2. Companies or individuals interested in selling or trading equipment should resort to the Equipment Exchange. At no time should an item be listed in any discussion forum. This includes links to auctions.

3. Fraudulent practices or attempts to defraud another person or group will be dealt with very seriously.

4. NO GROUP BUYS OR FUNDRAISERS WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION. Please IM Striker for more information.

dryflash3
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:43:54 PM EDT
[#23]
System Message
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top