Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/27/2016 1:40:27 PM EDT

At this point in my shooting "career", I'd say the Trijicon TA50 paired with the RS Regulate mounting system is the best option for a magnified optic on an AK; particularly if you're wanting a ballistic retitcle.

Pros:
-Excellent ACOG glass clarity
-Reticle calibrated for a 123gr load from a 16'' barrel and has bad guy ranging capabilities
-Low mounting option gives you proper cheek weld when using a standard stock
-Also works with high ACOG mounts on ARs in 300BLK (load dependent)
-Simple controls (1/2 MOA clicks)
-Made in the USA
-Better eye relief than the specs say

Cons:
-Quality comes at a cost
-No wind holds which can really come in play at distance with this round

Full review:

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Good Work!

I too am working on AK accessories, but I cannot get over the cost to benefit ratio of the ACOG series for the AK.

In my mind, the once cheap AK was a great alternative to the AR for cost conscious shooters. When i started shooting the SAR 1 was a $300 dollar rifle, and AR's were running 800 at the entry level.

Now times have flipped. If there was any justice in the world, if an AR cost around $500 then a AK should be bought by the pallet for a crisp $100 dollar bill.

That said, those ACOG's are cool, and I guess they are a top dog optic for the 7.62x39 platform, but I believe the cost to benefit ratio of some Russian style optics will still lead the AK shooter to favorable results while keeping overall costs down.

I am beginning preparations to T and E the AK and this I landed here for research, so first comes glass, then comes ammo, then trigger and I should be all set to do some platform testing.

Cant wait to get started!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good Work!

I too am working on AK accessories, but I cannot get over the cost to benefit ratio of the ACOG series for the AK.

In my mind, the once cheap AK was a great alternative to the AR for cost conscious shooters. When i started shooting the SAR 1 was a $300 dollar rifle, and AR's were running 800 at the entry level.

Now times have flipped. If there was any justice in the world, if an AR cost around $500 then a AK should be bought by the pallet for a crisp $100 dollar bill.

That said, those ACOG's are cool, and I guess they are a top dog optic for the 7.62x39 platform, but I believe the cost to benefit ratio of some Russian style optics will still lead the AK shooter to favorable results while keeping overall costs down.

I am beginning preparations to T and E the AK and this I landed here for research, so first comes glass, then comes ammo, then trigger and I should be all set to do some platform testing.

View Quote

The Russian style optics can have a huge benefit in lack of cost however they also come with no warranty and no guarantee of support in case of issues. From my own searching I haven't found any that are common that have BDC for the 7.62x39 as well. (Other than the POSP hunting scopes)
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The Russian style optics can have a huge benefit in lack of cost however they also come with no warranty and no guarantee of support in case of issues. From my own searching I haven't found any that are common that have BDC for the 7.62x39 as well. (Other than the POSP hunting scopes)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good Work!

If I may add---they generally have very poor cheek welds as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't really tell the difference between the TA50 and TA33 besides the x30 vs x24.
Seems like they both have the same FOV at 100yards.

I guess the eye relief is better on the TA33?
If so, How much better?
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Good Work!

View Quote

AK's are no longer cheap.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top