Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/13/2016 4:32:30 PM EDT
So I bought a MAK 90 before I knew anything about them. It's a milled, slant cut model with thumb-hole stock.  All factory original parts and about 1000 rds old.  I like the feel of this Chi-Com version but I really what the more tradition look and usability.  I've priced out the de-banning route for about $900 or so.  I don't have much skin in the game so far, so what's a good option?  Sell as is and buy one that fits my needs or de-ban this one with at least front sight block, cleaning rod, and stock?  I'm not a collector, just a user so value doesn't have a big roll in my decision.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#1]
<snip>No buying or selling in posts, next one gets thread locked. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#2]
As just a user, does the proper bayonet and threaded muzzle really add that much utility for you?

Ironwood Designs makes traditional buttstocks for the Chinese slant-cut milled receivers, this and a standard pistol grip is really all you need to get it to a more standard AK configuration.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWAKMM_2.html

If yours is the 2-tang slant cut receiver, they still have you covered:

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEW3B12_2.html
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]
They are Great AK's.   Some of the best ever made.      Put on a IWD stock, and shoot it.  GTG.  

What did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Ironwoods for a butt stock, &  pistol grip. Many photos of Chinese soldiers holding Chinese AK's show the muzzle is not threaded. I didn't waste $ on my 2 Chinese milled AK's on that. They are GREAT guns.  GARY
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I do not see where you are getting $900 to de-ban your gun. I have a Mak 90 with the following alterations:
ALG AK trigger-$40
Ultimak railed gas tube - $75
Magpul Zhukov side folder - $80
Some generic polymer fore end - $??
Hogue pistol grip - $25
New piston/bolt carrier - $25 long time ago.

All of this made my MAK into the ideal AK for me. I can shoot it very well, it is comfortable, compact, and utterly reliable. I dont need a cleaning rod or a bayonet lug as it does nothing to improve the function of the gun. Mak 90's are great shooters, and well built. But they ARE SHOOTERS. If you want something more authentic, send it to me and buy something more authentic.

Think of the MAK 90 as the knockoff AK, like the Clayco copy of the CZ 452 22 LR action from back in the 80's. Mechanically a rock star, historically an also ran.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do not see where you are getting $900 to de-ban your gun. I have a Mak 90 with the following alterations:
ALG AK trigger-$40
Hogue pistol grip - $25

All of this made my MAK into the ideal AK for me. I can shoot it very well, it is comfortable, compact, and utterly reliable. I dont need a cleaning rod or a bayonet lug as it does nothing to improve the function of the gun. Mak 90's are great shooters, and well built. But they ARE SHOOTERS. If you want something more authentic, send it to me and buy something more authentic.

Think of the MAK 90 as the knockoff AK, like the Clayco copy of the CZ 452 22 LR action from back in the 80's. Mechanically a rock star, historically an also ran.

View Quote

My estimates included FSB and gas block to take the cleaning rod, threaded barrel, slant muzzle break and labor as I have never done this type of work on any rifle.  I guess going for a Type 56 clone.  Do you see it now?
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are Great AK's.   Some of the best ever made.      Put on a IWD stock, and shoot it.  GTG.  

What did you pay for it?
View Quote

I looked at the IWD stuff last year, and I will most likely go that direction of i keep it.  I paid $100 and a Remington Viper .22lr for this three years ago.  You should have seen the other one I got for $100... Be she had to leave.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 10:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My estimates included FSB and gas block to take the cleaning rod, threaded barrel, slant muzzle break and labor as I have never done this type of work on any rifle.  I guess going for a Type 56 clone.  Do you see it now?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ALG AK trigger-$40
Hogue pistol grip - $25

If you got a quote for $900 to deban your MAK, you are getting bent over and screwed without them using even a small amount of Vaseline. I have the exact same gun that I am currently debanning myself.

Here is what it is going to cost:

Ironwood stock set, with large pistol grip w/ferrule, includes shipping................$213

Used Bulgarian gas block and front sight base w/shipping.................................$55

Four new pins for gas block and front sight base w/shipping..............................$14.54

Muzzle nut, spring and detent, new.....................................................................$28

Total.....................................................................................................................$316.54

I did get a break and was able to borrow a barrel thread die from a friend and I borrowed his mill and lathe to make my own set of press blocks to remove and install the sight base and gas block.

While I had the gas block off, I drilled the front hand guard retainer to accommodate the cleaning rod (which I already had). You will also need a buttplate and screws. Cleaning rods and buttplates are inexpensive and easily available.

Not counting the time to make the tooling, It took me about an hour to thread the barrel and remove/install the FS and GB. I have never done this before, so I went slow and was careful. If a AK 'smith charges you more than $100-150 to do it, they are padding the bill at your expense.

Finishing the stock set is very easy and anyone with half a brain and a small amount of manual dexterity can finish a set of furniture with a minimal amount of effort.

I am still waiting for the Ironwood stuff to show up, but it came out quite nice and I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the parts so I can finish it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you got a quote for $900 to deban your MAK, you are getting bent over and screwed without them using even a small amount of Vaseline. I have the exact same gun that I am currently debanning myself.

Ironwood stock set, with large pistol grip w/ferrule, includes shipping................$213

Used Bulgarian gas block and front sight base w/shipping.................................$55

Four new pins for gas block and front sight base w/shipping..............................$14.54

Muzzle nut, spring and detent, new.....................................................................$28

Total.....................................................................................................................$316.54

I did get a break and was able to borrow a barrel thread die from a friend and I borrowed his mill and lathe to make my own set of press blocks to remove and install the sight base and gas block.

While I had the gas block off, I drilled the front hand guard retainer to accommodate the cleaning rod (which I already had). You will also need a buttplate and screws. Cleaning rods and buttplates are inexpensive and easily available.

Not counting the time to make the tooling, It took me about an hour to thread the barrel and remove/install the FS and GB. I have never done this before, so I went slow and was careful. If a AK 'smith charges you more than $100-150 to do it, they are padding the bill at your expense.

Finishing the stock set is very easy and anyone with half a brain and a small amount of manual dexterity can finish a set of furniture with a minimal amount of effort.

I am still waiting for the Ironwood stuff to show up, but it came out quite nice and I am eagerly awaiting the rest of the parts so I can finish it.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Firearms/Foriegnguns/MAK90/i-BfW7kJK/0/L/IMG_4834-L.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ALG AK trigger-$40
Hogue pistol grip - $25

https://photos.smugmug.com/Firearms/Foriegnguns/MAK90/i-BfW7kJK/0/L/IMG_4834-L.jpg

That's what I'm to do exactly.  Thanks for the info.  Where did you source parts from?
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I got the small parts from AK Builder, the gas block and front sight base were off of a seller on Gunbroker. The stock was, of course, from Ironwood Designs.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I did this exact conversion that highpower posted for one of my COs when he retired. Just a fair warning, the Chinese really pressed their barrel components on compared to other country's AKs I've done work on.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I did this exact conversion that highpower posted for one of my COs when he retired. Just a fair warning, the Chinese really pressed their barrel components on compared to other country's AKs I've done work on.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up on the chicom presses. My issue is, my MAKs barrel looks like it's been milled down a bit compared to others I've seen posted.  Will I need to replace my barrel in order to thread for the brake?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#14]
what most people did at the end of the ban was to thread them 1/2x28. CNC warrior and other companies make AK attachments in that thread pitch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the heads up on the chicom presses. My issue is, my MAKs barrel looks like it's been milled down a bit compared to others I've seen posted.  Will I need to replace my barrel in order to thread for the brake?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just measure the end of your barrel. Nearly all that I have seen had plenty of meat on the end of the barrel. As long as there is 14mm or so you will have no trouble. I just removed the gas block and front sight base off of another MAK last night and they came off easily.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just measure the end of your barrel. Nearly all that I have seen had plenty of meat on the end of the barrel. As long as there is 14mm or so you will have no trouble. I just removed the gas block and front sight base off of another MAK last night and they came off easily.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine must have been extra special then. Even removing the pins was a PITA. OP hope yours goes smoothly

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mine must have been extra special then. Even removing the pins was a PITA. OP hope yours goes smoothly

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the pins were a real PITA to get out on both barrels. I found that I had better success with drilling out the pin on half of those I removed. New pins are $2.95 ea at AK builder. Also I found that when putting the gas block and front sight base on, if I used some grease, they slid on smoothly and lined up perfectly.

I can't begin to say how much I was dreading doing this part of the project as I was extremely nervous that I would screw up and somehow ruin my barrel. Turns out that it was a easy modification.  I do think that having a decent press helped out a lot and I was very pleased with the way the press blocks I made worked. Having done two of them now, I would not hesitate to do more.

Link Posted: 9/17/2016 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
what most people did at the end of the ban was to thread them 1/2x28. CNC warrior and other companies make AK attachments in that thread pitch.
View Quote

Thats what I did to my MAK90,
" />

" />
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I would leave it in as is condition. Milled MAK90s are sought after and unlike other milled rifles, they aren't coming back for sale at a future date.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine made a spiker with his.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would leave it in as is condition. Milled MAK90s are sought after and unlike other milled rifles, they aren't coming back for sale at a future date.
View Quote

Yeah...... I've thought about that.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#22]
IWD has good quality stock set for slant cut MAK receivers.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 1:00:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe, but pretty much nobody collects thumbhole MAK stocks. Anyone wanting one for collector value will pay more for one that has a proper buttstock like the IWD model.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:33:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top