Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/2/2016 3:20:32 PM EDT
Behold:

https://www.legionusa.com/legion-usa-vepr-akm.html

ETA: The picture of the barrel pin is a bit disheartening.

ETA 2: Apparently it's not as much of a Red Jacket style game changer that I thought it was.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
On a NODAK receiver???
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a NODAK receiver???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
On a NODAK receiver???

I can't believe I didn't even see that at first:

For US parts we have selected NODAKSPUD receiver with Russian selector markings and Green Mountain chromed barrel that painted with Legion USA Black Cerakote.

Much less appealing now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Woohoo - Nodak!  

Picked up one of their M16 A1 receivers way back when.  Good stuff.

Yeah, like above, I assume that's a shadow or something.  It looks like the hole is much too big doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Woohoo - Nodak!  

Yeah, like above, I assume that's a shadow or something.  It looks like the hole is much too big doesn't it?
View Quote

I don't believe it's a shadow. Given that it's essentially a kit build I'd wager that someone didn't have the front trunnion level when they drilled for the new barrel pin.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
At first I was all excited but it just keeps losing appeal.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
$1500 for a kit build on a nodak receiver and a gm barrel, on top of that with the egged barrel pin hole.  Seems crazy even in today's AK market.  I would possibly be in at around $800 but $1500 is way too much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
gross... US receiver and barrel
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
gross... US receiver and barrel
View Quote

Nothing wrong with either of those, just not at the price they're asking.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
They should be hammered for calling that a VEPR. They are being intentionally misleading as hell. It's a parts kit build from an old cut barrel Tula or izhmash kit. Absolutely nothing VEPR about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They should be hammered for calling that a VEPR. They are being intentionally misleading as hell. It's a parts kit build from an old cut barrel Tula or izhmash kit. Absolutely nothing VEPR about it.
View Quote

Agreed.  Hopefully, potential buyers thinking they are getting a Molot manufactured rifle will read the fine print before hitting the buy now button.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
$1500 for a parts kit gun? AK market is crazy these days
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I received that email this morning. I was excited until I read the description
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My thoughts as well. Very disingenuous.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, so much for what we briefly thought that was, and not even a good kit build. I suppose we can anticipate some "Is this ok....", "Should I be pissed....", etc. threads.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Disappointing

Z
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 3:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
F**K.

Why in gawds name would they not just do it right? How hard is it?

16" Vepr with all the standard Molot goodness, stop with the slant crap, make it a squareback. Set it up for standard handguards not that single screw s**t, bayo lug, cleaning rod, standard furniture. And that's it, that's all it takes.

Do that and i'm all over it, 1500 is just way too much, but at a thousand bucks i'll probably take two. There's nothing else on the market that would even come close, not Arsenal, not anyone.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Uhhhhh...............Not interested.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:36:31 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a joke.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Much less appealing now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a NODAK receiver???

For US parts we have selected NODAKSPUD receiver with Russian selector markings and Green Mountain chromed barrel that painted with Legion USA Black Cerakote.

Much less appealing now.

Relatively new to AKs. Is nodak a junky brand?
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a NODAK receiver???

Much less appealing now.

Not at all. It's just that since it's essentially a kit build it's not worth the asking price.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not at all. It's just that since it's essentially a kit build it's not worth the asking price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a NODAK receiver???

Much less appealing now.

+1 you just captured the simplicity of what will keep anyone who knows anything from buying this.

What really blows my mind is that this pic made it into public view. They need someone there with some attention to detail doing the work and another deciding which pics make it onto the site. I just can't believe from building the kit to posting the pic that no one noticed that. What sucks for them is it could have been the only one in the whole batch that had that issue. Then again, it could have been the best one, which is scary. We will never know until someone coughs up $1500 and posts pics. I like Legion and recommend them often to customers for sourcing parts for shotgun builds, but they need to do better than this at that price, just a better offering and better build quality. I'd sooner buy and Arsenal and put some Russian wood on it, for cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

For a long time they were the standard for kit builds. A few custom builders have created exacting detail replica receivers for clone builds but Nodak has been the go to for many many years.

Z
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For a long time they were the standard for kit builds. A few custom builders have created exacting detail replica receivers for clone builds but Nodak has been the go to for many many years.

Z
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

I was gonna say.....

Gotta love the elitist that crap on a good product. Maybe Nodak should change nothing and charge double and then it'll be good enough for the cool kids.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I was gonna say.....

Gotta love the elitist that crap on a good product. Maybe Nodak should change nothing and charge double and then it'll be good enough for the cool kids.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

I was gonna say.....

Who here is crapping on Nodak?
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I was gonna say.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Z

I was gonna say.....

No one is crapping on nodalk. We are crapping on a rifle that is advertised in a very misleading way.

Nodak receivers are great. But this fake VEPR built in the USA $1500 AKM can just go away.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
How do people not understand no one has anything against Nodak's quality nor has anyone said anything negative about Nodak.

Every indication was we would see "Russian-made AKM."  That is not what this is, this is a very pricey a parts build.  They may be nice parts, but the major components are not Russian, and it's not a Russian factory built AKM.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#28]
How much would a matching numbers Russian kit build like this be worth?
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 6:12:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
How much would a matching numbers Russian kit build like this be worth?
View Quote

Rguns Russian AKM kit - $750
NoDak receiver - $90
GM Barrel - $120

So $960 before having it built (if you couldn't do it yourself). But that's if they're sourcing all these parts from the same sources and paying retail, which I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#30]
If I was going to pay $1500 for anything it better have an AK100 on it, kit or no kit.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How do people not understand no one has anything against Nodak's quality nor has anyone said anything negative about Nodak.

Every indication was we would see "Russian-made AKM."  That is not what this is, this is a very pricey a parts build.  They may be nice parts, but the major components are not Russian, and it's not a Russian factory built AKM.
View Quote

If people are reading posts and getting that notion from said posts than obviously something is going on. That's why.  It's not like it was just one person. Maybe people should choose their words more carefully. Sloppy writing is a sign if sloppy thinking.

Back on topic, I agree with everything else you said. Not really Russian.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:13:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Ugh. PASS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
If people are reading posts and getting that notion from said posts than obviously something is going on. That's why.  It's not like it was just one person. Maybe people should choose their words more carefully.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
If people are reading posts and getting that notion from said posts than obviously something is going on. That's why.  It's not like it was just one person. Maybe people should choose their words more carefully.

It was just you. The other person, by their own words, asked a question due to their ignorance on the topic.

Sloppy writing is a sign if sloppy thinking

Clearly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I caught that too
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 11:12:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I don't believe it's a shadow. Given that it's essentially a kit build I'd wager that someone didn't have the front trunnion level when they drilled for the new barrel pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woohoo - Nodak!  

No, the problem is because the original wasn't drilled perfectly straight and the re-builder didn't take note of this and did drill it straight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Been gone for a couple of years now, sold all my AK's and all my optics....stupid!  Anyway, was wondering what was new in AK land.  I see Legion is bringing in the 1V's again.  That might draw me back into this side of things.  Wish they had it in 5.45 but 5.56 will do, all it needs is a full Krebs rail and 74M FSB and done.  Anyone bought one of these recently?  What is the deal with the locked stock, I know for 922 but is it just a tack weld like before or is it locked some other way now?
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No, the problem is because the original wasn't drilled perfectly straight and the re-builder didn't take note of this and did drill it straight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Woohoo - Nodak!  

That's certainly a possibility, but not a given.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Been gone for a couple of years now, sold all my AK's and all my optics....stupid!  Anyway, was wondering what was new in AK land.  I see Legion is bringing in the 1V's again.  That might draw me back into this side of things.  Wish they had it in 5.45 but 5.56 will do, all it needs is a full Krebs rail and 74M FSB and done.  Anyone bought one of these recently?  What is the deal with the locked stock, I know for 922 but is it just a tack weld like before or is it locked some other way now?
View Quote

The 1V doesn't have a AK-74 FSB because it's based on the RPK-74M, which has a standard 14x1LH thread muzzle and RPK FSB.  You may be able to fit an AK-74 FSB but because the 1V has a heavy profile barrel, it would have to be bored out, or barrel turned down. Not worth the cost IMO..

The folding stock is the correct type for an RPK-74M, they are not the same as an AK-74M folding stock.

5.56 AKs (especially VEPR series) are underrated, I would take one over 5.45 any day of the week, but then I already have several 5.56 AKs and know that they're great shooters. If I had purchased piles of 5.45 surplus years back at low cost, I might have a different opinion, but as it stands new production steel-case Wolf is the same price per round for 5.56 and 5.45. Polish Beryl or Circle 10 5.56 mags are about the same price as 5.45 mags now as well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The 1V doesn't have a 74M FSB because it's based on the RPK-74M, which has a standard 14x1LH thread muzzle and RPK FSB.  You may be able to fit a 74M FSB but because the 1V has a heavy profile barrel, it would have to be bored out, or barrel turned down. Not worth the cost IMO..

The folding stock is the correct type for a 74M, they are not the same as a 74M folding stock.

5.56 AKs (especially VEPR series) are underrated, I would take one over 5.45 any day of the week, but then I already have several 5.56 AKs and know that they're great shooters. If I had purchased piles of 5.45 surplus years back at low cost, I might have a different opinion, but as it stands new production steel-case Wolf is the same price per round for 5.56 and 5.45. Polish Beryl or Circle 10 5.56 mags are about the same price as 5.45 mags now as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 1V doesn't have a 74M FSB because it's based on the RPK-74M, which has a standard 14x1LH thread muzzle and RPK FSB.  You may be able to fit a 74M FSB but because the 1V has a heavy profile barrel, it would have to be bored out, or barrel turned down. Not worth the cost IMO..

The folding stock is the correct type for a 74M, they are not the same as a 74M folding stock.

Yea I am aware it will have to be re-profiled, I would like it to sit flush if possible, think it would be cool and I prefer the 24x1.5  muzzle device options.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I called and spoke to them about these.  They are Soviet AKMs that Molot modified for sale to the Russian public.  They have Molot make them into parts kits (no barrel or receiver) and send them here.  They rebuild them with the GM barrel and Nodak receiver.  Requires US mag for 922r compliance.  US parts are muzzle device, barrel, receiver and mag.  Remaining parts are Soviet / Russian and serial number matches on front trunnion, bolt, bolt carrier, gastube and top cover.  They are making RPKs next in the same manner.  They are only making small batches and will be alternating AKM and RPK.  Price is high, but who else but a custom builder is offering Soviet kit build AKMs and RPKs.  I got one of the Saiga rifles that they gave an AKM makeover to and it looks nice, but not a perfect AKM clone.  The barrel threading was a little rough looking, but OK and the rest looks very nice.  These might be OK if they have a sale, I do not know.  I just really want a Soviet AKM with a trunion date of the year I was born.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#42]
So what about the new Molot VEPR AK's from K-Var?  These look like genuine VEPR rifles, and the price is decent:

LInk

(Sorry, on my phone and not sure how to hot link)

I made the link hot. - dalesimpson

ETA: Thank you Mr. Simpson!
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
So what about the new Molot VEPR AK's from K-Var?  These look like genuine VEPR rifles, and the price is decent:

LInk

View Quote

Id really like to know this too... Ive been in the market for another AK, a VEPR would be great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:02:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

LInk

View Quote

I wish they'd list exactly what US parts they have, the fact that they don't makes me a little suspicious personally. If it's just the furniture and FCG you'd thing they'd want to advertise that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

LInk

View Quote

Shame no bayo/accessory lugs.

Is my assumption of proprietary handguards incorrect. My knowlege of Molot guns is lacking.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#46]
RPK style barrel on those, at least it looks it me. So you will have a nice HB AK, but not be able to use standard parts. I would assume you could make a standard set of handguards work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#47]
It has been a while since I have been to this forum.  When I saw the title, I was assuming that Legion was selling an actual VEPR, but much to my surprise, they are producing a rifle that using a few Russian parts and key parts made in America and calling it a VEPR.  That is deceptive.

What K-Var is selling is what the VEPR is about, a heavy receiver and a heavy barrel, screw the bayonet lug.  My VEPR is the slanted version that I converted myself, total cost of rifle and conversion is about $800.  It is easily the most accurate AK I have ever shot.  If I did not already have an Arsenal rifle on layaway at K-Var, I would be all over their new offering in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 2:36:46 AM EDT
[#48]
No side rail. Bust. But wouldn't have bought one regardless.

Especially with how few major parts seem to be original.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Legion is selling the Vepr 01 V that is the same rifle as K-Var, but with the folding Russian stock.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top