Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/28/2016 2:18:18 PM EDT
Does imported kits have a Serial number? I was at a gunshow and a guy was selling built AK's out of build kits. There was so many people at his table I couldn't see prices or ask any questions. I did ask one guy did the seller have an FFL and he said it was a private sale so no license required. Legal no serial number?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll want to post this question here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_4/64_AK_Discussions.html
This is the EE.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
All rifles must have a serial number (unless you finish the receiver yourself into a firearm and are not manufacturing it to sell - added after someone pointed out that this could have been a flat he bent himself).  The kits probably had one or more numbers on the parts from the original rifles they came from, but the receiver should have a serial number.  That's the one that counts to the feds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Not if was it built from a receiver flat  that he bent in his work shop it would be akin to making an AR from a 80%  lower. However if he were selling that many at a time the ATF might look at him as a manufacturer. If your a first time AK buyer I think with good kits long gone I would find a reputable dealer from the industry section here. Quality lives on long after the deal. AK's can be blessed with issues from backyard builders, canted sights, improperly installed rivets, bad heat treating of the flat itself, improper headspace of the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All rifles must have a serial number.
View Quote

This is incorrect. Firearms built by unlicensed individuals for personal use are not required to have a serial number. Nor, if the builder later decides to sell it, is a serial number required to be added. ATF recommends a serial number for such builds, but admits they are not required.

Now, if the dude is building them and selling them, he's manufacturing without an FFL and has some serious charges heading his way someday.

FWIW, serial numbers were not required by law until 1968, and there are still millions of firearms in circulation that came from the factory with no serial numbers - like the old shotguns and rifles sold by Sears and Western Auto and Montgomery Ward and such stores.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoops
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:14:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is incorrect. Firearms built by unlicensed individuals for personal use are not required to have a serial number. Nor, if the builder later decides to sell it, is a serial number required to be added. ATF recommends a serial number for such builds, but admits they are not required.

Now, if the dude is building them and selling them, he's manufacturing without an FFL and has some serious charges heading his way someday.

FWIW, serial numbers were not required by law until 1968, and there are still millions of firearms in circulation that came from the factory with no serial numbers - like the old shotguns and rifles sold by Sears and Western Auto and Montgomery Ward and such stores.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All rifles must have a serial number.

Makes since.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't sound like he made it himself for his personal use, though, does it?  He's selling it at a gun show table, if I read that post right.  I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think it's okay to manufacture working AKs from parts kits and sell them at gun shows without a license and without serial numbers.  The "for your own use and 80% receiver/flat" deal is like moonshine - they overlook something you are keeping in-house as long as it isn't too much and you don't make it to sell it.  This guy is at a gun show selling them and not just walking around with one - he has a table, right?

Edited my post above too - I had totally forgotten about the possibility of an 80% receiver/flat bending rifle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:56:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sooo serial you guys.... Sry had to.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#9]
In theory, if he made them for his own use with no serial numbers and later decided to sell them (to pay off an unexpected expense), that's legal.  He's not a manufacturer, he's just selling off some hobby rifles.  But the more that he has made and the more often he sells them, then the more suspicious the ATF is going to be.  Selling them at one gun show would probably avoid notice; it fits with the narrative.  The second it looks like an intentional decision to build it to sell, he better have good answers for why he isn't complying with a bunch of regulations.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Removed, wrong forum for that. dryflash3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top