Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/25/2016 11:15:12 PM EDT
What issues and problems are the C39V2's having ?

Any news besides the announcement at shot show of the newer C39V2's coming with the side scope rail?

Anyone having issues with metal mags gettting stuck in these guns?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:41:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot mine this past weekend with Polish mags. Seemed to run fine for me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have one (didn't buy it because it had no cleaning rod, honestly).  But various posts have popped up centered around the metal not being treated properly on the bolt:
http://www.akfiles.org/forums/showthread.php?s=c54404ff76e1b154bc44a77ff211638b&t=259054

That thread has links to others.

I think it's why Rob Ski makes such a big deal out of high-res pics of his bolts and carriers and points out wear.

Some of the C39v2s are reported to be great guns.  But even some of the RAS47s have worked fine and had the same reports, though.  I find myself always saying this - every assembly line can turn out a lemon.  In the case of the modern internet age, we hear all about the lemons.  It's like how no one mentions the millions of flights that take off and land with no issue, but we all hear about the crashes.  In Century's case, they don't have a good track record in the AK world with anything they touched with tools, so people are more sensitive to their problems.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and like it. Really nice gun. As far as the new models, it's like all the gun companies. Release stuff at shot show and you don't see them on the market for 2 years.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
the V2s are fine. The C39 had soft bolts.

The V2 has passed the 5,000 round test at AKOU now.

Henderson Defense has some, and he says in his AK thread they are gtg, no issues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Henderson Defense has some, and he says in his AK thread they are gtg, no issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've noticed that whenever this topic comes up you post that they're fine with no caveats, and yet people are still reporting issues with their bolts and bolt carriers (most prevalent issue) plus some reports of other issues like the carrier jumping the rails (not common from what I've seen). As to bringing up Henderson Defense, he corrected himself when he was referencing C39's earlier in the thread that they were in fact the 1960 model guns. Furthermore, when you asked about the C39V2's specifically he said:

The round count of the C39V2 is still very low in comparison to a standard WASR or the original Polish Model 1960 (Century's first milled gun on Polish kits). It doesn't get used much because people tend to choose the classic wood-dressed AK47.

He said he'd recommend them for a person who, as you put it:

...for a guy that'll shoot 2,000-3,000 a year...

Not exactly the same thing as saying they're comparable to the rifles that have had multiple thousands of rounds through them. Now, do most shooters fall into that category? Yes, I do believe that the rifle would be perfectly fine in that setting. Also, given that the armorers would swap out bolts when they started to loose headspace, there's no guarantee that the original C39V2 bolts (that are reported to cause issues) are still installed in those rifles that are currently on the line:

I am not the expert when it comes to issues of headspace but I believe it's due to wear on the bolt locking surfaces and the barrel face. When the headspace gets towards the acceptable level, the armorers will swap bolts until they get good headspace.

Now, having said all of that, I would own a C39V2 if it weren't for cosmetic issues that I have with the rifle. However, the first thing I would do is replace the bolt and carrier with surplus parts. At that point I would be very confident that the rifle would last a very long time.

ETA: I know I need to say it now because it's going to come up. Yes, I am completely aware that there are people that have had no issues with their bolt and carrier at this point. My post is not to suggest that ALL of them will be problematic. Only that it happens enough to warrant concern.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not quite. The RAS47 was put through the 5,000 round test. The C39v2 was not. Yes, the RAS47 did fire all 5,000 rounds, but at the end, the bolt closed on a "no go" head space gauge and the attempts to repair it didn't work so well (20 rounds later it was out of spec again).

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not quite. The RAS47 was put through the 5,000 round test. The C39v2 was not. Yes, the RAS47 did fire all 5,000 rounds, but at the end, the bolt closed on a "no go" head space gauge and the attempts to repair it didn't work so well (20 rounds later it was out of spec again).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just about to ask where the 5,000 round test was for the C39V2 since I couldn't find it. I don't doubt that it would survive one so long as the bolt and carrier were good to go.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
As much as I love AKOU Rob's videos,  I've noticed that he tends to freak out over the smallest amount of wear marking on his rifle,  a lot of which is common across every make of AK out there -  e. g.  minor wear of bolt and carrier camming lugs, scuffing of the front trunnion where the bolt transitions off of the rails,  etc. AKs are not precision  hand fitted rifles in every mechanical surface,  so lot of these surfaces wear in a small amount and then stop.

These are not critical wear areas...  The locking lug faces are, that is what he mostly needs to pay attention to.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:32:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As much as I love AKOU Rob's videos,  I've noticed that he tends to freak out over the smallest amount of wear marking on his rifle,  a lot of which is common across every make of AK out there -  e. g.  minor wear of bolt and carrier camming lugs, scuffing of the front trunnion where the bolt transitions off of the rails,  etc. AKs are not precision  hand fitted rifles in every mechanical surface,  so lot of these surfaces wear in a small amount and then stop.

These are not critical wear areas...  The locking lug faces are, that is what he mostly needs to pay attention to.
View Quote

You have to consider he's going through a lot of different rifles with these tests.  I think it's very reasonable to point out wear that is present on one rifle that isn't present or severe as on most of the others, which is typically what he does.  If he freaked out on literally every rifle for the same wear pattern, I'd agree with you, but that's not what I've seen happen in the admittedly few videos I've seen.

You may be right that some of them wear and then stop, but what is he supposed to do?  "Well, there's more wear on the trunnion than on all the other rifles, but it's probably fine and will stop soon.  Or it won't and it's not fine.  But it's probably fine.  I guess."
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of that is true,  and each rifle is different,  but for example there is no AK that doesn't show wear on the camming surfaces after a couple thousand rounds,  but he always seems to point it out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#11]
There are four videos on the V2, and it has passed their torture test and had thousands through it. I read on here that someone said it had just passed the 5,000 rnd part of the test recently. I have not gone to the AKOU site to confirm. For that I apologize if not correct.

Rob hasn't had any issues with the V2, but he did with the C39 original.

Here is the 5,000 rd test,

ETA. this is not AKOU

Didn't notice until after I posted. I was on their site and got taken to this.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks to me like the V2 is gtg
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You will find some guys on here are never going to give the C39V2 any credit. They hate Century, see a couple douchebags crying about scuff marks on their bolt carrier and think every Century rifle is crap. Never believe everything you read on the Internet.

It's prolly the same Ford guys that bash Dodge or Chevy. Don't pay much attention to them
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You will find some guys on here are never going to give the C39V2 any credit. They hate Century, see a couple douchebags crying about scuff marks on their bolt carrier and think every Century rifle is crap. Never believe everything you read on the Internet.

It's prolly the same Ford guys that bash Dodge or Chevy. Don't pay much attention to them
View Quote

ETA: You know what, I'm just going to quote this for posterity instead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There are four videos on the V2, and it has passed their torture test and had thousands through it. I read on here that someone said it had just passed the 5,000 rnd part of the test recently. I have not gone to the AKOU site to confirm. For that I apologize if not correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecMwMdp94Vs

ETA. this is not AKOU

View Quote

Not a bad showing by the C39v2. Military Arms Channel did a similar video with lots of suppressed shooting. I'll definitely concede that the C39v2 seems to be faring substantially better than the RAS47 in the wild. I just wish Century would quit using that goofy lightening cut bolt carrier and make them properly. The C39v2 does have some appeal to me as a fun gun.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I have watched literally every AKOU video from the past 8 months and am working on going back to older ones.  I've not seen Rob freak out over anything.  Well, except that one time that his Primary Arms microdot held zero after Paul broke the glass.  I thought he was going to do cartwheels.  

What he does is point out wear anywhere he sees it.  He always says something like, "it may be fine - I'll keep an eye on it."  When he sees a carrier tail mushroom out more and more or a bolt getting material carved out in grooves, he brings it up again and again so people get the idea that there is a problem.  But he also points out small wear just so you can see it, and he provides high-res pictures.  I really like that.  

I get to buy an AK vicariously through his videos and see how it turns out after 5000 rounds.  Making it 5000 rounds with lubrication shouldn't be a hard feat.  But for some guns (like the RAS47) it seems to be impossible.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#17]
How can you deny the experience of thousands of Century ak owners who've had issues with them?
is this some sort of conspiracy against Century?

I owned the c39, and I've owned 5 other ak's.  i've put  tens of thousands of rounds through aks, so i have a genera idea of how they're supposed to wear.
After 1000 rounds through the c39, my bolt looked worse than my arsenal bolt after 5000 rounds.  
It seems like they've used cheaper metal on their internal components.  The finish was great, the barrel was accurate enough, but cheaping out on the internal components is a no go.

Century aks are mostly fine if you shoot your ak a few times a year, but not if you are going to put serious rounds through it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been following the C39V2 as I want to get one someday if it checks out, so far besides the possibility of the lightened carrier failing I haven't seen much negative on it. I've fondled one in the store and was VERY impressed, smooth, straight, and just plain sharp. Hope they prove themselves. Now the RAS-47 and C-39 V1 I wouldn't want at all.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#19]
yes the c39 v2 will look impressive when you just get it.  It's got a great finish, and it looks to be quality, but many people, including me have had bad experiences.

here is the thing with Century, they have a history of producing bad rifles.  Why even deal with any of that?  There are other manufacturers making great aks.  I would seriously consider the new PSA AK if that's your price range.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I lost all respect for VSO when he declared the M14 to be an 12 moa rifle and claimed the Century C308 was a far superior rifle.

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecMwMdp94Vs

ETA. this is not AKOU

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I made thread to put you experiences in. I want to sort of track round count and failures to have a database on these models. I explain my motives in the thread. Part of it is I want to have a database for the one I have bought for my son,, which I still haven't got to pick up, health issues etc, haven't been able to go out of town for about four months, last time was when I bought my Tavor.

Anyway, I think it will help anyone looking, and all of us that have them as well. Just when you pass say, 500-1000 rounds, post it in there, and just continue, and show failures, replacements etc, whenever any occur. The thread is for owners only to keep anything else out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1904630_C39_and_C39V2_owners__get_in_here_.html

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I made thread to put you experiences in. I want to sort of track round count and failures to have a database on these models. I explain my motives in the thread. Part of it is I want to have a database for the one I have bought for my son,, which I still haven't got to pick up, health issues etc, haven't been able to go out of town for about four months, last time was when I bought my Tavor.

Anyway, I think it will help anyone looking, and all of us that have them as well. Just when you pass say, 500-1000 rounds, post it in there, and just continue, and show failures, replacements etc, whenever any occur. The thread is for owners only to keep anything else out.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1904630_C39_and_C39V2_owners__get_in_here_.html

Thanks
View Quote

You need to add "results" to the poll so nonowners can click it and see results without skewing the results. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks

It's good that you posted it in the general area since it'll get the more exposure than just people specifically looking for AK content. But the issue that I have with the C39V2 already shows itself:

Cast bolt carrier and bolt are total crap.had chunks of metal missing from them after only 500 rounds. Sent Century pictures and they refused to warranty the rifle, they claimed the per-mature/significant war was "normal". That was BS I have several other AK's that didn't break in anything like the C39V2
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How can you deny the experience of thousands of Century ak owners who've had issues with them?

I owned the c39, and I've owned 5 other ak's.  i've put  tens of thousands of rounds through aks, so i have a genera idea of how they're supposed to wear.
After 1000 rounds through the c39, my bolt looked worse than my arsenal bolt after 5000 rounds.  
It seems like they've used cheaper metal on their internal components.  The finish was great, the barrel was accurate enough, but cheaping out on the internal components is a no go.

Century aks are mostly fine if you shoot your ak a few times a year, but not if you are going to put serious rounds through it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm not about to jump in and defend Century, and I'm certainly not denying your experience, but this:

How can you even begin to substantiate that? Can you even point me in the direction of where I could see complaints from THOUSANDS of Century AK owners?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#25]
There isn't. Some of these idiots see a guy or two have a problem and then claim all Century guns are crap. Hell, even Glock and the might Daniel Defense have issues. No company puts out products 100% perfect.

Mine has been great. And no, I don't live in Syria and fire 5000 rounds every month.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Some of these idiots see a guy or two have a problem and then claim all Century guns are crap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Some of these idiots see a guy or two have a problem and then claim all Century guns are crap.

Have yet to see anyone make that claim. The difference is your over exaggerations are more inane as the one Notyouratty was pointing out.

No company puts out products 100% perfect.

Very true. But when issues do arise and in respond by placing your head in your fourth point of contact and deny them just because you own one and it says "Make in the USA" isn't a good response.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There isn't. Some of these idiots see a guy or two have a problem and then claim all Century guns are crap. Hell, even Glock and the might Daniel Defense have issues. No company puts out products 100% perfect.

Mine has been great. And no, I don't live in Syria and fire 5000 rounds every month.
View Quote

Please go to the link and copy paste the info thing, and post your experience. I think most of the issues, from what I've heard, read, etc, are from original C39s, not the improved V2s.

The big reviews all had the C39 having issues, but the major reviewers have had the C39V2 pass even the long term tests without real issues.

I'll be posting in that thread as soon as I pick my son's AK up, and posting round counts, issues, etc. I will state, thje round count will likely be really low on his. He's not able to get out to shoot a lot. He has a lot of the same health issues I do, worse than me though, hereditary stuff.  The only reason I've not been able to go get it in the last few months. Hopefully things will work out soon, cooler weather, got my car back on the road, and I've had a few more good days this month than all of last month total.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Good for you. Its a great gun. Hope you and your son have fun. My dad just retired and we have been out shooting a few times this summer. I cherish it. Glad the Red state I live in lets us do that !
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top