Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2016 8:42:03 PM EDT
I just picked up a new N-Pap underfolder, and I can't get the buttplate to fold.  I'm thinking it's just really tight from the factory but even when I try to force it with a good bit of force I can't get it to budge.

Is there a trick to this (I'm new to underfolding AKs), or do I just need to put some oil on the hinge and try to force it?

Otherwise the rifle is beautiful.  A very nice factory AK.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately the tightness of the buttplate is dictated by the setting of the rivets that hold it to the struts. It should eventually loosen up a bit with use.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is also really tight but I've only cycled it open and closed a few times.  Kind of hesitant to force it.

At what point in AK life was the under-folding stock invented?
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At what point in AK life was the under-folding stock invented?
View Quote

It was essentially a carry over from other designs that use that type of stock, so it wasn't "invented" when it came to the AK. I'd have to check my references but I believe they were first introduced in the early 50's.

ETA: Just checked my references and they say it was originally introduced to paratroopers in 1949 on the Type 1. The design of the stock itself has changed throughout the years and between countries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. It was stuck up with cosmolene. I was able to put some mineral spirits in the joint and break it loose, and then added some CLP and worked it back and forth.

These guns must come to Century from Serbia completely coated in cosmolene, because there was still a fair amount on mine when I received it today.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info. It was stuck up with cosmolene. I was able to put some mineral spirits in the joint and break it loose, and then added some CLP and worked it back and forth.
View Quote

That is good to know.  When I get a chance I will pull mine back out of the safe and clean out the joint.

Thanks also for the info concerning the stock design.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
For getting rid of cosmolene WD40 works quite well, soaked many Bulgy mag in the stuff to get it to come off.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine was really tight at first too.  It will loosen up the more you use it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top