Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2016 6:31:10 PM EDT
I searched and saved and looked for a deal on a AK. Bought a like new WASR from a buddy Thursday. It had some feeding issues with the plastic mags it came with (Tapco & Magpul) Tried a Polish mag that works fine. As of now I'm just not as happy with it as I would like to be. I relisted locally for <snip> more than I paid. Just got a message from an interested party and it made me all nervous. I told him the asking price was firm. I feel like a dummy after I waited so long to get one. I have a couple ARs. The AK is not nearly a awkward to operate, and there is no paperwork on it, that's worth something to me. And they just keep going up in value. Thoughts from you guys? I only paid <snip> It does not have bayo lugs or brake. It has the tac welded barrel end. And, Ive already 3 Polish mags for it. I want to love it. But so far...

I took out the $ so I don't have to lock this thread. As there is a tacked thread where you can ask value. dryflash3
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#1]
What did you expect out of it that it's not doing for you?

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure. It does what its supposed to. Thought Id like it better than the ARs. Want to like it over the AR. Just having some buyers remorse I guess. I really wanted to put Russian Red furniture and get in on the AKOU kick. Maybe add an optic. Its sure not nearly as awkward as the ARs. Maybe I just need to shoot more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I have a few AK's just to round out the collection and shoot something different every once in a while. Of course if they ever ban them again I bet you could sell it for a lot more, ha
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not sure. It does what its supposed to. Thought Id like it better than the ARs. Want to like it over the AR. Just having some buyers remorse I guess. I really wanted to put Russian Red furniture and get in on the AKOU kick. Maybe add an optic. Its sure not nearly as awkward as the ARs. Maybe I just need to shoot more.
View Quote

Go shoot it for a few hours and see if you still feel the same way. I don't quite get the idea of liking it "over" an AR. The shooting experience between the two is different enough to like both for their own reasons. I'd hate to limit myself to just an AK or AR or anything else for that matter if I can help it.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:25:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Main thing, after it not feeding, even though I think I found the issue, my faith in it is lacking.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Main thing, after it not feeding, even though I think I found the issue, my faith in it is lacking.
View Quote

If you found and isolated the issue, how is your faith still lacking? Obviously if you really don't like the rifle, sell it, but you seem to like it but want to try to force yourself not to.  Get more Polish magazines and rock on.

Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Plastic AK mags are hit or miss. The metal mags are pretty much bullet proof.......run the metal mags and enjoy the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got back into the ak game after 25 years and purchased a wasr 10  . I was pleasently suprised with the accuracy and function . For the money I spent I think I got a great bargin . shoot it some more and give it a chance .
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Your sellers remorse will be worse than your buyers remorse.
Hold on to it.  Shoot it some more, get used to it, maybe customize it to your liking a bit more... see how you feel then.  I know the feeling of dropping money on something and regretting it because it didnt blow you away like you thought it would.

But if you still dont like it later, itll still be worth at least the same thing as it is today... probably even more, really.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Try any eastern european magazine and never sell any Kalashnikov variant, especially not registered to you! They work to well and to often.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
If you don't like it, sell it.  But be honest and tell any potential buyer the issues you had with it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't sell it, just use good mags, everybody needs an AK! It's even nice for panics, most of the time I can still buy 7.62X39 locally long after .223/5.56 are gone.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd give it a few months.  Take it on a few range trips, see how you like it.  If you still don't like it... there is almost sure to be a panic after the election, so that would be the time to sell it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I have never regretted selling an AK, but I have regretted buying them.  For some strange reason I always end up buying another.  I have no regrets selling my VZ2008 today at the gun show either.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Use "Warsaw Pact" Metal Magazines (German, Hungarian, Romanian, Yugoslavian, Bulgarian, Polish, Russian,...) and you will be good to go.  There are literally MILLIONS of there around and dirt cheap.

US Plastic magazines...    Just for shooting off a bench at the range...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going against the grain here.  I say sell and sell for more than you paid for it.  It is a 300 dollar rifle being sold for 700 dollars, so I would ask 800 dollars.   Sell it and don't ask other people to give you joy.  Some love that rifle.  You don't so sell and make some money too.  

EDIT- Some will cry foul about the price in my comments.  I ask them why is a 300 dollar rifle selling for 700 dollars?  Same difference, supply and demand
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have never regretted selling an AK, but I have regretted buying them.  For some strange reason I always end up buying another.  I have no regrets selling my VZ2008 today at the gun show either.
View Quote

Why did you sell your VZ2008? Was it a good a bad rifle?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I am the opposite, I try hard to like my AR's, but the AK just feels right to me..to each his own I guess
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#19]
when it comes to guns Im like jesus . I love them all , well except for an itialian carcano I once briefly owned .
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
when it comes to guns Im like jesus . I love them all , well except for an itialian carcano I once briefly owned .
View Quote

Don't be so hard on yourself. I seem to recall even Jesus ran into a problem with an Italian or two....
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't be so hard on yourself. I seem to recall even Jesus ran into a problem with an Italian or two....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I literally laughed out loud.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I wouldn't sell it, just use good mags, everybody needs an AK! It's even nice for panics, most of the time I can still buy 7.62X39 locally long after .223/5.56 are gone.  
View Quote
I had a ton of fun buying, customizing, and selling various ARs are a few years that I neglected my magazine and ammo stores.  After Sandy Hook, I realized 7.62x39 was easier for me to find and cheaper.  It was the whole reason I bought an AK.  Of course, I could always use more, but I'm happy with my Saiga and my WASR.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:52:50 AM EDT
[#24]
It's funny I stumbled on this thread, as I was in the same boat. I started off years ago with AK's, moved my way to ARs (heavily), and then redabbled in AK's again. I tried and tried. I LOVE the simplicity of the AK and solid feel it has (as well as it's operation). However, I got fed up with crap workmanship, sloppy fitting parts, a round with a rainbow trajectory, and that there's no consistency between any two (as in, no mags fit the same in any two rifles, the sights vary wildly, etc). I got fed up and just sold two of them off (leaving me with one remaining "keeper", a DDI AK47s, which I felt was the better of the ones I had). Now I'm back in love with AR's again (and how easily mil spec parts fit across the board, the workmanship, the consistency, the super flat trajectory, etc). However I did a LOT of work to my AK's (upgrades, refinishing, etc), yet still sold them at loss (quick "be done with it" sales). I'm done with AK's (except keeping one "reminder" example of what they are), and back into machined perfection AR's!
Ok.... so I went over the top with AR sarcasm.... but you get the point. If you're OCD about your firearms (as I am)... get rid of your AKs, they'll drive you nuts. Do keep ONE though, just to have a "touchy feely" example of one
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Still on the fence, and just bought a half case of Golden Tiger. I have an SKS as well though. Ive had 4 of those and never a single issue-ever. Finally get AK and issue within minutes. I know you can get a not quite right anything, I just never expected it to be with an AK. The initial disappointment will always be in the back of my mind even if it feeds properly with the Polish mags. We have 3 Ruger ARs, each has at least a couple hundred rounds and one has at least 1000, multiple mags, multiple ammo, not a single issue. Hard as WASRs are to get right now I may have to part with it and replace with a private sale, no transfer AR. Or another Ruger for the money. Also sitting on a PSA lower, waiting for the right upper to go on sale maybe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Hold onto that WASR until Billary gets elected.  It'll skyrocket in value.  You'll have over $1K in your pocket before Xmas.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hold onto that WASR until Billary gets elected.  It'll skyrocket in value.  You'll have over $1K in your pocket before Xmas.
View Quote

You mean appointed ? javascript:insertText(''); Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinkin
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#28]
EVERYTHING will go UP near election time (and hit skyrocket level if Hitlery wins). But right NOW...Wasr's are demanding a premium (as their import is on hold until Cugir catches up... who knows when). NOW is the time to sell that Wasr. NOW. For all we know... wasr's may start pouring back in, in a few weeks (making used ones cheap). It's not often you break even on a used firearm (let alone make a profit). The wasr market is one such exception...at THIS moment. Hell, sell it then when more pour in, buy another if they mean that much to you. Personally, I don't think they're worth what they get NOW, nor even what they were just a few years ago. I actually don't think ANY AK is work what they cost (which is why I've sold all but one of mine off). NOW is the time to BUY AR's/SELL AK's. Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
NOW is the time to BUY AR's/SELL AK's.
View Quote

keep both until Nov 3rd or later.  PROFIT
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Ive got it up for sale locally now at a ridiculous price. If it sells, great. If not, rock on
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ive got it up for sale locally now at a ridiculous price. If it sells, great. If not, rock on
View Quote

sounds like a decent plan.  Never know when a moron will bite.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#32]
What a goof ass. Got a $100 gift card today, ordered a new extractor, spring and pin for it from Apex. Also got a Russian sling, bakelite looking pistol grip and a cleaning kit. If that takes care my feed issue I'm gonna keep it. Then start looking for another. The more I handle it, the more I like it. Oh, and get rid of the blonde wood, don't like it at all. bleck
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What a goof ass. Got a $100 gift card today, ordered a new extractor, spring and pin for it from Apex. Also got a Russian sling, bakelite looking pistol grip and a cleaning kit. If that takes care my feed issue I'm gonna keep it. Then start looking for another. The more I handle it, the more I like it. Oh, and get rid of the blonde wood, don't like it at all. bleck
View Quote

Unrelated, but mine seemed to hang up on feeding occasionally within the first 100 rounds or so. I've since polished the RAK trigger group, and other wear surfaces, and since then I've put another 200 or so rounds through it trouble-free. Refinished the crappy wood and gave the metal bits a good degreasing and painted it in the yard with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy.

I don't get to shoot mine as much as I'd like, but I definitely say keep it and shoot it. Get some different mags and just resell the ones that don't agree with the gun. I think yours just wants some rounds through it. Get a little rough with her.

Love mine:

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top