Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2016 5:29:19 PM EDT
I'm wondering if it's worth it to put an edge on it and use it as a cheap camp knife or if it's a mild steel and there'd be no point.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I've thought the same thing but many say they don't hold a edge. I've thought of trying to flame harden one they must be some kind of carbon steel.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've thought the same thing but many say they don't hold a edge. I've thought of trying to flame harden one they must be some kind of carbon steel.
View Quote

If it's carbon steel it would totally work. I don't need it to hold a great edge but I guess it still works for stabbing regardless.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Just about every type of AK bayonet has a stainless blade.

You can try to sharpen it, but it probably won't hold an edge very well, as has been the experience of most who have tried. The steel is not that hard, and was not really meant to hold a fine cutting edge. It's mostly meant to stab people, cut field wire, and pry open cans.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Bayonets are not hardened knife steel, they will not hold and sharp edge.  If they were hard enough to take and hold an edge they would be too brittle and snap if they were used as a bayonet is supposed to be used.  So the make them more ductile (softer) so they can bend and not snap when a soldier digs a fox hole with it, uses it a s a pry bar,  fights for his life, etc.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top