Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/19/2016 9:24:47 PM EDT
Looking for some insight.  I already have a nice Arsenal SLR-95, but have been thinking of picking up another beater AK.  Ran across an unfired WASR 10 today for $475.  Not a screaming deal, but seemed okay.  How do these 3 models compare in terms of quality/function?  Would I be better off paying more for an RAS or N-PAP???
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the Ras is going to be straight and a great fit and finish cause it's American made. Some say the bolt is soft. But I'm sure if you had a problem Century would replace it. I have a C39V2 and I just bought a Wasr cause of all the praise on here. I can tell you though, the V2 is way way better fit and finish. Straight as an arrow. But, Wasr is a gun I can beat up and is a real Ak
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, the Ras is going to be straight and a great fit and finish cause it's American made. Some say the bolt is soft. But I'm sure if you had a problem Century would replace it. I have a C39V2 and I just bought a Wasr cause of all the praise on here. I can tell you though, the V2 is way way better fit and finish. Straight as an arrow. But, Wasr is a gun I can beat up and is a real Ak
View Quote
Good info, thank you
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, the Ras is going to be straight and a great fit and finish cause it's American made.
View Quote

I've worked on some IO's that would disagree with your statement.

As to the OP, I'd get the WASR at that price.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
At that price I would jump on the WASR. Like with any AK you should check it for straightness, rivets, etc. The WASR will offer a solid AKM pattern rifle with a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel, albeit a little rough around the edges. The N-PAPs seem to do well for most guys. They are a bit more refined in their over all fit and finish. They are not chrome lined but are cold hammer forged, some don't mind that it's not chrome lined and some do. There have been reports of heat treat issues in commercial rifles. I listened to an interview with a guy that was contracting over seas, he wouldn't touch Yugo produced rifles saying they were of poor quality and poor heat treating. I wouldn't touch a RAS-47, Century produced rifles have a history of poor quality. I wasn't impressed with the RAS in the AKOU 5,000 round test, it didn't hold up well along with the fact the barrel lost its head spacing. With so many good options on the market I see no reason to settle for a RAS-47.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the Ras is going to be straight and a great fit and finish cause it's American made.

I recently traded off my IO and ended up buying a second WASR 10. In the price range, the WASR really is hard to beat. I have pondered getting an NPAP in the near future, but I'm pretty much staying away from US built AK's (However, I am keeping an eye on what DDI is doing).
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:39:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looking for some insight.  I already have a nice Arsenal SLR-95, but have been thinking of picking up another beater AK.  Ran across an unfired WASR 10 today for $475.  Not a screaming deal, but seemed okay.  How do these 3 models compare in terms of quality/function?  Would I be better off paying more for an RAS or N-PAP???
View Quote

These days $475 is a screaming deal for a wasr10. Of your choices I would go wasr10, then npap in order of preference.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find me a cheaper WASR and Ill buy 2. 475 in today's market for an unfired WASR is a screaming deal. Avoid any of the century made stuff its junk. AK Operators union shot the barrel out of a RAS in 5000 rounds ands managed to also break just about every part on the rifles in the process as well
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#8]
WASR
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
At that price I would buy the WASR.

Here recently I bought my first AKM type rifle; A brand new N-PAP for $550.  It was sitting next to a RAS47 ($600) and a WASR($600.)   I had heard bad things about the RAS so it was never an option.

The WASR has a canted sight and the wood stock and handguard were ugly as sin!  So I did some research on the PAP's and ended up buying it.  

The only caveat there was it was only milled for single stack magazines (and came with 13 of them.)  It had a DS bolt and front trunnion, so I just opened up the magwell and now all it right in the world.

Like previously said, stay away from Century made guns. Most of their imported guns are just fine.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I love how people say stay away from Century junk. The C39V2 is one hell of a rifle. I don't know about you guys, but between all my rifles and pistols, I can't afford to go out and shoot 5,000 rounds in a weekend through any of my rifles. So the one gun Ak operator Union shot had no effect on my opinions at all.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love how people say stay away from Century junk. The C39V2 is one hell of a rifle. I don't know about you guys, but between all my rifles and pistols, I can't afford to go out and shoot 5,000 rounds in a weekend through any of my rifles. So the one gun Ak operator Union shot had no effect on my opinions at all.
View Quote

You are coming at this from the casual shooters standpoint then,  the C93v2 probably works fine for you. The story may be different for someone doing carbine classes or rougher treatment similar to the AKOU test,  and the C93v2 appears to use the same bolt,  carrier,  barrel and barrel components as the RAS47.  Those components are the same ones that failed the AKOU 5k round test.

That being said the C93v2 receiver appears to be good quality,  Henderson defense apparently runs a couple on full auto conversions,  but IIRC they had to swap out the carrier and bolt and the barrel still wore out and lost headspace.

While I can't afford to shoot 5k rounds in a month I can over a couple of years.  All other factors considered, I would still choose the rifle that has not failed that test.

Keep in mind that the PAP rifles have had their issues as well, with a supposedly bad batch of receivers,  and issues with bolt and carrier wear from the incorrect geometry of the  G2 hammer that century was putting into them for 922r compliance. I have no idea if century's new RAK trigger group is any better.

I get that you want to defend your purchase,  but at least one of the Century build examples has shown that it is not up to the same long term durability level of "lesser"  rifles like the WASR
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:50:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not in a weekend, but I will probably go through that in about 6 months. Maybe a little longer. If you take classes your blow through over a thousand in a weekend. I understand that not everyone shoots their guns that much and I am sure there are plenty of guns out there that won't get 1,000 through them in their lifetime, but for me a gun closing on a no go gauge after just 5,000 rounds is a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The wasr is the best regardless of price, and 475 is way less than normal.  That's a FO.  The Serbian paps are heavier and use proprietary furniture, and their barrels aren't chrome lined.  The wasr would give you easier options for adding side folder or adjustable stock down the road, or custom handguards for adding a light or something.  Or if you want to keep it classic, anY wood furniture will work with the wasr; not so with the paps.

The only pap that is selling that interests me right now is the npap-df.

All 3 would be much better options than any American century gun, though. That is not even open for debate.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Century would replace it  lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

These days $475 is a screaming deal for a wasr10. Of your choices I would go wasr10, then npap in order of preference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I'm a yugo guy, but $475 is too good to pass up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]
That's a great price for the WASR, mine has been flawless and it's older before they improved even more. BUY IT!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#17]
WASR.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Find me a cheaper WASR and Ill buy 2. 475 in today's market for an unfired WASR is a screaming deal. Avoid any of the century made stuff its junk. AK Operators union shot the barrel out of a RAS in 5000 rounds ands managed to also break just about every part on the rifles in the process as well
View Quote

I don't know where you're coming up with this misinformation but AKOU stated one of the best things going for the RAS47 was its excellent barrel. Agree with the rest. All the cast parts were failing.

To the OP, get the WASR. That is a quite good price nowadays for one unfired. Stay away from the RAS47, at least till they resolve the cast trunions.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I don't know where you're coming up with this misinformation but AKOU stated one of the best things going for the RAS47 was its excellent barrel. Agree with the rest. All the cast parts were failing.

To the OP, get the WASR. That is a quite good price nowadays for one unfired. Stay away from the RAS47, at least till they resolve the cast trunions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Deadduck I assume lok993 was referencing that the barrel lost its head spacing as seen here.  Shot out in the sense that the barrel lost accuracy? No. Shot out in the sense that the barrel was a kaboom waiting to happen? Yes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:39:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Deadduck I assume lok993 was referencing that the barrel lost its head spacing as seen here.  Shot out in the sense that the barrel lost accuracy? No. Shot out in the sense that the barrel was a kaboom waiting to happen? Yes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The discussion on this at ak files with Rob is that it was due to the cast front trunion and bolt and carrier deforming.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top