Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/9/2016 6:58:51 PM EDT
I have a Chi-Com AK type rifle. It has a significant jamming problem. Basically the timing is not right and it needs a pro to set it right. Also I need to get the G2 trigger and some other stuff replaced. Anyway...who is still in the AK game that experienced AK fans would go to. I got Jim Fuller's Rifle Dynamics on short list of one right now... who else is working on AKs that you would let work on your rifle.

Update Information and Picture as Requested.

Norinco NHM-91

PS Sorry it took so long had to find a charger for the camera...and do not ask about a cellphone...
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#1]

PoHF, Piece of History Firearms.

Mario is a fabulous AK gunsmith.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:07:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the mags first
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check the mags first
View Quote

It is not the mags.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you describe the jam?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can you describe the jam?
View Quote

FTF multiple per mag (about every other round) with different ammo and different mags.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#6]
sounds like a rail issue or a mag catch issue.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If by FTF you mean, fail to feed, and it used to run fine, try a new recoil spring. Use FMJ not soft point. As said above make sure the rails are still spot welded and check the magazine(s) for proper lockup --feedlips just touching (or really close) to rails at the rear. Also if your rounds hit just below the barrel you may want to slightly ramp the bottom of the chamber  kinda like this on 556 SGLs:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_76/106540_5_56_Feed_Ramp_Fix.html

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
KREBS
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If by FTF you mean, fail to feed, and it used to run fine, try a new recoil spring. Use FMJ not soft point. As said above make sure the rails are still spot welded and check the magazine(s) for proper lockup --feedlips just touching (or really close) to rails at the rear. Also if your rounds hit just below the barrel you may want to slightly ramp the bottom of the chamber  kinda like this on 556 SGLs:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_76/106540_5_56_Feed_Ramp_Fix.html

View Quote

I bought it lightly used and it never ran right, I bought it via a TradeNSell so I couldn't exact take it back. I think I know why it was lightly used..
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you post a pic of the rifle? I'm curios what you have.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. Or Gunplumber, he's grumpy as hell but he knows AK's like few do.

I wouldn't let Jim Fuller work on my wife's old Bersa, much less an AK.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???????

I know guys who had him work on their guns and were very happy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Fail to fire or feed?  There are occasional known issues with Chinese bolts and firing pins malforming
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#14]
What rifle is it?  Model, caliber?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What rifle is it?  Model, caliber?
View Quote

This. And pics, lots of them, probably something stupid and simple, somebody might even have swapped some parts.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 3:10:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Updated Photos in  original post.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Firing pin tip looks flat. Does it protrude  enough? Do your rounds fire every time they are locked up? Describe what happens when the rifle fails. First thing to do is give it an AR style cleaning -- everything. Definitely make sure the chamber is good and scrubbed. Then try again.

If you need someone who really knows what they're doing, I second Gunplumber at Arizona Response. He knows more about the AK than good ole' Kalashnikov himself.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Firing pin tip looks flat. Does it protrude  enough? Do your rounds fire every time they are locked up? Describe what happens when the rifle fails. First thing to do is give it an AR style cleaning -- everything. Definitely make sure the chamber is good and scrubbed. Then try again.

If you need someone who really knows what they're doing, I second Gunplumber at Arizona Response. He knows more about the AK than good ole' Kalashnikov himself.
View Quote

When it would chamber it would fire. The gun is dirty because after it failed the last time I was at the range I was sooo disgusted I just put it away.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
What kind of mags are you using steel, tapco ?
Take a pic of the type of  mags your using if your not sure. There are some steel mags I wouldn't trust my life to
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What kind of mags are you using steel, tapco ?
Take a pic of the type of  mags your using if your not sure. There are some steel mags I wouldn't trust my life to
View Quote

Various steel mags. All of which work fine in another AK type rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Does your bolt look like the one in the middle?

Does the striking surface of the hammer look like this?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_78/160736_FTF__Light_primer_strike_with_question_of_soft_firing_pin_on_an_NHM_91__Updated_04_03_2016.html
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Try holding the mag and pull it to the rear when you fire. This will hold the back up against the rails. If it runs you'll need a longer mag catch. If rounds strike below the chamber you need a ramp job.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#23]
For not being shot much- that bolt looks pretty well used (more than dirty).

I wonder why they replaced the fine hammer (and trigger?) with a G2, the Chinese stuff is really good (at least the ones I have).

I really don't think you need to send it off, with the experts on here you should be able to sort it out and get it running yourself.

What happens when you manually cycle rounds? Take off top cover, remove carrier/bolt, insert mag, and hand cycle. Does it look like the bolt is hitting the rim case enough to strip it? Does the bullet nose not slide into chamber easily?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#24]
OP...could you post a good pic of the rear of the magwell and mag catch area. I'm looking for a rivet at the rear of the magwell that was put there to insure the rife would only function with the original post ban 10 rnd. mag that had a corresponding notch cut into the mag locking tab to clear that rivet and allow the mag to seat fully. Check the area just above the mag catch and if you have a small rivet head in that area you probably identified your problem...
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For not being shot much- that bolt looks pretty well used (more than dirty).

I wonder why they replaced the fine hammer (and trigger?) with a G2, the Chinese stuff is really good (at least the ones I have).

I really don't think you need to send it off, with the experts on here you should be able to sort it out and get it running yourself.

What happens when you manually cycle rounds? Take off top cover, remove carrier/bolt, insert mag, and hand cycle. Does it look like the bolt is hitting the rim case enough to strip it? Does the bullet nose not slide into chamber easily?
View Quote

Probably because the Chinese bluing sucks for corrosion resistance, and depending on storage conditions, may look like that by now even with minor use.

The OP's pictures don't show the G2 FCG - it's the original NHM91 oddball hammer and trigger.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#26]

I have two Chinese guns, and both bolts are "in the white". I'm not sure what they are made of, but they after being shot many times they still look brand new..

The guns are also blued, and while I understand not the best form of rust prevention (no matter who blues them) , but after nearly 30 the blueing is as dark and deep as the day I got them (of course I don't leave them out in the rain).

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
OP...could you post a good pic of the rear of the magwell and mag catch area. I'm looking for a rivet at the rear of the magwell that was put there to insure the rife would only function with the original post ban 10 rnd. mag that had a corresponding notch cut into the mag locking tab to clear that rivet and allow the mag to seat fully. Check the area just above the mag catch and if you have a small rivet head in that area you probably identified your problem...
View Quote

This...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top