Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/24/2016 11:56:11 PM EDT
So, I am ever grateful for the  immense knowledge and experience on this site.  I tried to search for an answer to this issue but no results were retrieved (I might suck at the search engine).  On 2/16/16 (My birthday) I purchased a Bulgarian Circle 10, Arsenal SLR 107 FR AK 47. I am really familiar with firearms.  I have this AK and I really like it, like more than most of the AR's I have built or own.  I love the length of pull, the stupid iron sights, the industrial nature of the tool.  I really do love it.  So I go out today and shoot with my father in law, and come home to clean it.  I use Gunzilla to clean everything, it works great and while I am cleaning the barrel (which is chrome lined) I notice that the paper towel that I have the bolt and op rod on are turning purple.  I grab the bolt and it is sticky, I mean like really sticky.  So I try to wipe it off and the black finish starts coming off.  Underneath is a grey metal (which is fine by me), and the op rod does the same thing.  Again, I know these things can run forever without so much as a squirt of oil, but I think it is black paint.  Like literally the black finish just rolls off, a sticky bubbled up finish.  Some of it stayed on but most just came off.  So, I have a guy here local that is a certified CereKote dealer/applier and can easily have him do the whole damn gun (including the bolt and op rod).  I am just wondering, have any of you ever heard of this?  By the way, yes I know what cosmoline is and no, it is not cosmolibe coming off.  Thanks a million for the responses.  Have a great week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Arsenal is notorious for their less-then-durable finish. Cerakoting probably isn't a bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man, I can understand "less than durable" like it gets nicks and wears uneven, but literally the black finish rolled off like: well paint.  Have you heard of this?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks man, I can understand "less than durable" like it gets nicks and wears uneven, but literally the black finish rolled off like: well paint.  Have you heard of this?
View Quote

It is black paint.  I think Arsenal used to advise customers not to use anything other than CLP type products for cleaning because anything else would remove the paint.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:26:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Pictures?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:57:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It is black paint.  I think Arsenal used to advise customers not to use anything other than CLP type products for cleaning because anything else would remove the paint.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They still do advise this. Their finish sucks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Should have taken time to read the manual which specifies using CLP for cleaning your rifle.  The finish holds up pretty well if you clean it as recommended.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep,  the Arsenal imports still use their old Combloc "squid ink"  lacquer formula, and it's mega weak.

The good news is that you (or whoever refinishes it)  can get all of the paint off of the rifle simply by spraying it with brake cleaner. The lacquer will run right off,  leaving you with the base parked steel,  which you can pretty much them paint right over.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Common occurrence and much discussed regarding Arsenals.

Pay 1K for a nicely-made rifle but get a crappy amateurish final paint finish.  

It's unbelievable that Arsenal allows this to occur. Those that are interested in these rifles should consider this when considering a purchase.

That being said don't use anything with an alcohol-based to it since that takes the crappy paint off.

I have a 106FR, and while I haven't done anything to cause my finish to peel off like the many reports, I plan on getting mine 106FR professionally refinished with a more appropriate final finish.

Sorry that you've found this out first hand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's unbelievable that Arsenal allows this to occur. Those that are interested in these rifles should consider this when considering a purchase.

That being said don't use anything with an alcohol-based to it since that takes the crappy paint off.

I have a 106FR, and while I haven't done anything to cause my finish to peel off like the many reports, I plan on getting mine 106FR professionally refinished with a more appropriate final finish.

View Quote

Here's the thing though - it's the same finish that Arsenal applies to rifles they make for their own military. Same stuff has been used for 40+ years and has worked fine for them.  I had two Bulgarian AK-74 parts kits that I needed to strip, both dated 1989, and everything came right off to bare park with a can of non-CL brake cleaner.

They are up front about what sort of solvents are acceptable, but this information is overlooked by many owners who are not familiar with it.  The same type of paint is used on Saigas, and Izhmash doesn't even tell you not to use harsh solvents, so at least Arsenal has that going for them.

Regardless of type of paint used, strong cleaning solvents are generally not nice to most paints, even some epoxy resin.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks a million for all the responses.  Here's the thing though, Gunzilla has no alcohol in it, is a CLP product, and is made from plant extracts.  It's gentler than Breakfree.  Also, I have used this product before on the AK and this never happened.  Hmmm.  So how long will the base finish last before adverse wear/corrosion occurs?  In other words how long do I have to cerakote it.  Again, thanks for the responses and all the help.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:09:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks a million for all the responses.  Here's the thing though, Gunzilla has no alcohol in it, is a CLP product, and is made from plant extracts.  It's gentler than Breakfree.  Also, I have used this product before on the AK and this never happened.  Hmmm.  So how long will the base finish last before adverse wear/corrosion occurs?  In other words how long do I have to cerakote it.  Again, thanks for the responses and all the help.
View Quote

It's parkerized under the paint so you shouldn't have any issues unless you totally neglect your rifle.

Again, if you don't mind, can you post some pics? I'm interested in seeing what this looks like.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The base finish is park, so it is quite strong.  Nothing to worry about.  The crappy paint is just cosmetic and annoying.  You could wait 5 years to cerakote it with no issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Those that accept that it's OK for Arsenal to put crappy paint on their $1K rifles just because it's what they put on their mil guns are so full of it when economical and more durable alternatives are readily available.

There are plenty of "peeling" paint pics that have been posted on Arfcom and elsewhere where the rifle looks like shit.

I really don't <snip> that's a good way to get a warning, posting that word. dryflash3 thinks that peeling paint is OK with they're Arsenal AK.

Arsenal should knock off a couple hundred off they're rifles just because of the crappy paint, but they have plenty of folks out there that will pay for the name.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Those that accept that it's OK for Arsenal to put crappy paint on their $1K rifles just because it's what they put on their mil guns are so full of it when economical and more durable alternatives are readily available.

There are plenty of "peeling" paint pics that have been posted on Arfcom and elsewhere where the rifle looks like shit.

I really don't <snip> that's a good way to get a warning, posting that word. dryflash3 thinks that peeling paint is OK with they're Arsenal AK.

Arsenal should knock off a couple hundred off they're rifles just because of the crappy paint, but they have plenty of folks out there that will pay for the name.

View Quote

For me it didn't have a thing to do with the name. I first added Arsenal and Izhmash rifles to the list of rifles I buy in an effort to get rifles that are properly built and that looked a little less like they were machined with a hand grinder in a garage unlike the last non Arsenal rifle I've got. Those both went back to the dealer and the latest is still there. Those two examples answered the often asked qurstion "is the Arsenal worth the extra cost? For me the answer has been yes, absolutely.The recent Arsenal I got the same week was pretty much perfect. Didn't have modify or repair first thing out of the box and they function. So yes, I'll gladly pay extra. Not saying they are better than all others but they are worth what's being asked in the current market. No disrespect to those that prefer anything but Arsenal. That's cool too.

They aren't perfect but closer than many others normally. The mil spec finish method has presented no surprises or problems in my small sample of 4. No peeling, bubbling or discoloration.when using grease, CLP or EWL Slip 2000. I've been lucky so far I guess. No sight or function issues. I'm happy enough that if they all shed their paint tomorrow I'd just continue shooting them and arrange for a refinish job at some point. No biggie. Or maybe not. Heck a lot of people are sanding the finish off their rifles intentionally for a bare metal look. I wish this concern over the mil spec method of paint over park would make more shy away from the rifles so they will stay in stock for us "know nothing's".. My advice is everyone stop buying Arsenal and sell what you have.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think we can agree a crappy finish Arsenal is better then a nicely finished RAS47 LOL. I do think for $1000 you should get a better finished rifle but there is park under the paint sow just remove the paint and move on.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
What you describe (purplish liquid) is normal if you use the wrong type of cleaner.  The Arsenal finish is actually not to bad as far as being durable.  The finish is tough but you just can't clean with strong solvents.  Only clean with Breakfree CLP.

https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/gun-cleaning-kits-and-components/cleaners-and-solvents/gun-lubricants-and-protectants/clp-cleaner-lubricant-and-protectant-15337.html

From Arsenal....

Arsenal, Inc.
3395 S. Jones Blvd #331
Las Vegas, NV 89146 USA
Tel.: 702-643-2220 Fax: 702-643-8860
www.arsenalinc.com

OTHER INFORMATION

WARNING: Modern gun cleaning solvents can be very aggressive. Before use, test solvents on a small portion of each part to check for possible damage to the finish of all the various metal and plastic parts. Keep in mind that more then one type of finish may exist on metal parts. Any damages caused by such aggressive solvents will not be covered under warranty.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The paint finish on your rifle is identical to the finish applied on military rifles. Arsenal, Inc. highly recommends using cleaning products approved by the military for such finishes. Your rifle has been effectively tested with a Mil Specification product Break-Free® CLP (Clean, Lubricate, Protect). This product is known to be harmless to your rifle's finish while being an effective cleaner and lubricant. Break-Free® CLP is available commercially and is the only product tested and recommended for use by Arsenal, Inc. Any damages caused by other solvents will not be covered under standard warranty.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have used Hoppe's #9, acetone, mineral spirits, brake parts cleaner, and comet on my Vepr repeatedly, and the finish is still pristine.

In fact I have used all that stuff and more on all my AK's, including the ones I have re-painted with appliance epoxy, and never had a single issue.

Shitty paint on an AK is pretty much uniquely an Arsenal flaw, if I found one for the price they are really worth (standard AK price range of 500-700 minus a few bucks for all the work i'd have to do to make it as least as decent as a WASR), first thing i'd do is strip it down completely and put a good paint job on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have contacted a guy who is renowned in the shotshow circles and is going to cote the whole gun.  I would be happy to post pics, I am embarrassed to say that I don't know how, if you can show me how I will post them (before and after).
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top