Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/22/2016 12:03:36 PM EDT
I am asking about the RAS47 because I found a local gun shop selling them for $500 - new.

That is the cheapest priced AK I have seen in a long time. What are the opinions of them from people who have actually owned or used one?

I have been looking at picking up another AK47 to have. I currently have a WASR 10/63. I want another AK to just put away for now.

Been looking at local gun shows the last couple months and either the rifles I have found are way over priced, higher end models that I am not looking for, or WASRs with heavy use or badly canted front sights.

I am getting ready to head out to another gun show to do some shopping and wanted to get some opinions on the RAS47. I have looked and only found stuff on youtube which was very varied in their opinions.

Thanks for any useful input.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
While I wouldn't say Rob is the end all be all (but he is damn appreciated for his testing) I would take his review of the RAS47 pretty damn seriously. There is a chance of catastrophic failure with head spacing and other odds and ends that define century made firearms. Exercise caution if you are deciding to purchase one.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7eK2SmGYM&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Stop shooping at gun shows. You can pick up a NIB WASR for around $600 right now, you'll just need to find an FFL.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stop shooping at gun shows. You can pick up a NIB WASR for around $600 right now, you'll just need to find an FFL.
View Quote

This, I paid $614 out the door for my new wasr.  It has to be one of if not the best deals going.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
5K rounds and Rob's tester RAS crapped itself out, closed on a no-go gauge. Not even safe to shoot anymore and no telling how long it had been like that.

5K rounds is ridiculous, an AK should last 10-20 times that long. Buy a WASR.

Based on the round count and life of the rifle as compared to other real AK's, the RAS should sell for about 60 bucks or so.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Get something else... WASR, N/O-PAP, Saiga, or save a bit more for something else. DDIs are reviewing well. Tons of good options to choose from. Skip Century and IO builds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get something else... WASR, N/O-PAP, Saiga, or save a bit more for something else. DDIs are reviewing well. Tons of good options to choose from. Skip Century and IO builds.
View Quote

Please listen to this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:12:21 AM EDT
[#7]
VEPRs are also available now at KVAR for $660ish. Another good choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:04:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

...and those are in my sights as the next rifle to be bought.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#10]
But but, I thought all James Yeagers had over 5k through with no issues lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
While I wouldn't say Rob is the end all be all (but he is damn appreciated for his testing) I would take his review of the RAS47 pretty damn seriously. There is a chance of catastrophic failure with head spacing and other odds and ends that define century made firearms. Exercise caution if you are deciding to purchase one.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vs7eK2SmGYM&feature=youtu.be
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:13:05 AM EDT
[#12]
These companies that produce utter crap guns and try to pass them off to the civilian market, really get on my nerves. I know you get that in every industry but in this case its 1. dangerous to the shooter to be firing it and 2. an insult to our second amendment rights. Do they not think that the second amendment is anything more than an enjoyable trip to the range?

People need to hold these companies accountable by avoiding their crap, and urging others to do the same.

I think that is pretty much what happened in the AR market. After the ban expired in 04, companies like BCM sprang up and started producing high quality, military grade components at competitive prices. It forced the pieces of shit companies to go out of business and forced the more respected companies to follow suit with improvements their rifles (to some degree or another), because civilians demanded it. Maybe the AK market will follow a similar course in time.

Anyone who doesn't believe that the world isn't becoming increasingly dangerous and unstable, isn't paying attention. I foresee VERY bad things on the horizon for the USA and the world. There is a bad moon on the rise. Now is not the time to be wasting your hard earned money on junk, and shame on companies for producing them to begin with. When hell comes to breakfast, people will need serious tools, not pot metal range toys.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This, I paid $614 out the door for my new wasr.  It has to be one of if not the best deals going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not going to gun shows just looking for AKs. It is more of a couple of hours I get out of the house without a kid being with me, looking at something I enjoy. Most of the stuff I see at gun shows is complete crap or over priced. Every once in a while I can find a good deal. Hence, I keep an eye out for a nice WASR.

It seems to be the best place to buy a good WASR is from Atlantic Firearms. Their price plus shipping and transfer fees put the total price at almost $700. That is a little more than I want to spend on this.

I have no idea what a good FFL has to do with my question. The price of AKs in my local gun stores are high. The RAS47 was the cheapest price I had seen in a gun store in a long time. It is why I was asking. Seems most people's opinions of them are not very high so I guess I will keep looking for a WASR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.deguns.net/wasr-10-p/ri1805-n.htm
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I can not believe how expensive AKs are now a days
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Demand
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Demand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Demand

I would venture to say supply.

Anything Russian isn't coming in anymore. Barreled kits can't come in anymore. Are WASRs even coming in anymore?
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:31:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Romanian AKs are coming in.

Wasr's? Hard to say. They are around but there was a credible report that their factory was going to focus on military contracts for awhile.

The AK situiation is not too desperate. Foreign sources are still providing rifles. Though in much spottier fashion than I would like and there are some decent American AK builders. I hear nothing but good things about DDI.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:07:35 AM EDT
[#19]
My RAS showed the same signs as ROBSKI's did.

Unless Century updates their bolt material I would stay well away unless you want the AK as a discussion piece only and not as a shooter.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Just grab a wasr and beat it like the whore that it is.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top