Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/22/2016 9:52:24 AM EDT
Hello, I've been out of the loop for a while and have some kits I might try to get built.   The kits I'd like to have built are a Tula aks74u, and a bulgy 74 folder.  Looking for opinions on who are the best and/or most reasonably priced builders, who makes the best receivers out there, and also, what is currently the best option for an aks74u barrel?  Thinking about having the Tula built as a SBR if that's a factor with builders.
Thanks
wickerman
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Technically, a builder can't build an SBR for you...the Form 1 permits you to build it.

That said, AZ Response Systems or Piece of History Firearms (both in AZ).

NoDak Spud makes good receivers.

74uLLC makes accurate/period correct receivers.

Barrels:  don't know.  K-Var has "real" barrels if/when they have them in stock.  After that, Arms of America or AK Builder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Technically, a builder can't build an SBR for you...the Form 1 permits you to build it.

Barrels:  don't know.  K-Var has "real" barrels if/when they have them in stock.  After that, Arms of America or AK Builder.
View Quote

+1 to this, FPNI

Z
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Troy at Inrange can do an SBR for you. He built my m92 SBR and did a fantastic job. When I spoke to him last, he was only taking work on krinks and m92's.

For receivers, 74ullc make excellent receivers with correct markings. My only complaint is the wait time, but since I wasn't in a hury I didn't mind. I think I waited just shy of a year.

As far as barrels for your krink,  I have heard good things about Blue Jack barrels.

Other builders that I've had good experiences with, are Two Rivers Arms, and JBI Armory.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#4]
What about the atlantic arms receivers? Anything wrong with them?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

And if you had to choose between these two builders which one would you pick? I have a 74 and 47 kits I need built. Already have the receivers etc...
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
On the SBR, it comes down to paperwork.

If you file a form 1 (tax paid manufacture) to SBR it, you are in possession until the form 1 is approved.   If not approved, you retain your parts. You are the manufacturer, and it's your info stamped on the gun.  You send to your builder (ANY FFL) and receive directly back.

If you send the kit to an out-of-state builder  to register, they must be a Type 7 & SOT.  They file a form 2 (tax exempt manufacture)  and include it in their annual report.  On completion, they ship it to a dealer in your state on a form 3 (tax exempt transfer). Then you file a form 4 (tax paid transfer) which is essentially the same as a  form 1,  and the dealer has to sit on your gun until your form 4 is approved.   If it's not approved, you're stuck.

I don't like the second path, because it's more paperwork for me, but not less paperwork for you. And you have to do a 4473 to pick it up.  There's no upside to it.  It is for buying an already-built SBR.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

While POHF may do quality work, they are too backed up to even respond to my thorough, complete, e-mailed work order that I filled out completely.  I followed the directions on their website to the letter. Not sending my gun there if they won't even accept new work offered to them.

They apparently have more work on their hands than they can handle right now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Seems like just about every reputable builder has more work than they can handle right now with months long turnaround times. A good time to be a builder, a bad time to be a customer wanting a new toy right away. I'm guessing the reason for the surge in AK builds is at least two-fold. 41F going into effect in July and everyone wanting to get their SBRs done prior to that AND the fact that kits are drying up left and right and people realize this and want to get in while they still can. It really is an interesting time to be an AK guy. It's also a VERY expensive time to be an AK guy. The good ol days are long gone...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top