Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got my tracking number this morning.

Still don't know which rifle will get this furniture, but I'll get that sorted out soon enough.
View Quote

got my tracking number here, should arrive Thursday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The shiny look is because we have a special mold that replicates the smooth finish of the Russian & other mags , As the stock set Ages and gain Character they tone down a bit . Yes you can use Scotch brite to dull them down but I would not be to aggressive it may give you a duller look than what you want. We have sold several of the Red Chinese Bakelite style folder AKs and they had quite a bit of shine to their handguards .
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JjJvZNDiWaM/VtY6Tpu04xI/AAAAAAAAIik/2__Gcr4Kg0o/s640/bakelite%2Bguns.jpg

http://www.gunsandammo.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/aks-around-the-world/15_aks.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Some have mentioned it on the AK Files including myself,

Please offer an AKM style stock (no lightening cut). That would allow people to complete the look with Bulgarian or Tantal bakelite handguards.

Any particular reason you guys omitted the vents in the upper and lower handguards? Looks like your heat shield sits to high to accommodate them but, it just doesn't look "right".

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
These are really nice. Thank You Atlantic. Any chance for other colors in the future? Green maybe?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
.... waiting for my set as well.   I like the fact that the handguards do NOT have the vent cuts in them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Jimwest , We have discussed doing the Green style but are not sure if there is enough demand to warrant the expense and time of making the stock sets .We have to builds thousands of these at a time.
View Quote

I'm interested in green. I think if folks see it they'll be interested.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]
My set was delivered today.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

http://s20.postimg.org/70adsaebh/AF_Bakelite.jpg  
View Quote
dang that looks awesome

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jimwest , We have discussed doing the Green style but are not sure if there is enough demand to warrant the expense and time of making the stock sets .We have to builds thousands of these at a time.

For God's sake, yes on green!
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The shiny look is because we have a special mold that replicates the smooth finish of the Russian & other mags , As the stock set Ages and gain Character they tone down a bit . Yes you can use Scotch brite to dull them down but I would not be to aggressive it may give you a duller look than what you want. We have sold several of the Red Chinese Bakelite style folder AKs and they had quite a bit of shine to their handguards .

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JjJvZNDiWaM/VtY6Tpu04xI/AAAAAAAAIik/2__Gcr4Kg0o/s640/bakelite%2Bguns.jpg
http://www.gunsandammo.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/2/files/aks-around-the-world/15_aks.jpg
View Quote

Do you guys still have that Chinese furniture?
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#13]
mine was delivered too, I am well pleased !!!    

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://s20.postimg.org/70adsaebh/AF_Bakelite.jpg  
View Quote

Mine comes tomorrow. I cannot wait. Thinking about putting it on my C39V2. I hope there is not that much fitting
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]
My set is now installed on my ARS Romy G.  Some of my thoughts on the install:
- The butt stock required no fitting on my rifle, it slid right on.  The mounting screw holes are pre-drilled on the stock from Atlantic, so no layout work required there.  Line the holes up on the tang, and run the screws in.

- Upper handguard went on with no fitting required.

- Lower handguard required fitting at the receiver, no big deal.  A delicate touch with the Dremel made short work of it.

- The pistol grip required a light touch with the Dremel on the interior to better clearance the pistol grip nut. Again, no big deal.
Overall, the install was pretty painless and drama-free.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:11:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

- The butt stock required no fitting on my rifle, it slid right on.  The mounting screw holes are pre-drilled on the stock from Atlantic, so no layout work required there.  Line the holes up on the tang, and run the screws in.

- Lower handguard required fitting at the receiver, no big deal.  A delicate touch with the Dremel made short work of it.

- The pistol grip required a light touch with the Dremel on the interior to better clearance the pistol grip nut. Again, no big deal.

View Quote
pics if you have time ?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I've always loved a "wood-ish" or bakelite look to an AK, but every time I put my spare wood furniture on, I always hated it after 5 minutes.  Perhaps it was the crap WASR wood, of which my wood stock is now cracked just trying to get it off the rifle.  Hard to inspire confidence in something when the furniture can't even survive being taken off.

I think this stock set will fit my wants perfectly - the looks of wood/bakelite, and the durability of polymer.  I'll find out for sure when it arrives soon.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:11:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome we need pics of them on yours guns to. They look great
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

pics if you have time ?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

pics if you have time ?  

Maybe this weekend.  Slammed with work right now.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Gonna try to get it on my C39V2 this evening. I'll post pics if I do
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
added picture to OP

I am going to try to dull it out some and I am going to put the magpul grip back on, but here it is

I had to do a TON of fitting on the buttstock. regardless to what Century says, stamped parts DO NOT FIT WITHOUT A TON OF FITTING.
It is damned near a milled style stock i had to take so much off of it. I might have actually taken a bit too much to make it work.

Overall I like it. It feels a bit thin but I can get used to that as I am used to wood. Overall, 4.8 out of 5

Only pic I have for now
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]
the gun feels 2 pounds lighter!!! it has to be  >6 lbs now! this is probably going to be a very handy carbine now.

a couple notes: the pre-drilled holes in the stock I feel are too small for the commie wood screws, I used another screw to better fit the hole. the grip is thicker on the inside so it takes some filing & force to fit it into the grip nut. the upper HG flexes easily, I wonder if it'll melt  
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#24]
The commie wood screws will work (mine did), but you really need to put some ass into it when you're cutting those threads.  I threaded the holes with the stock off the rifle, then installed the stock.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:03:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Thinking of grabbing a set... then a AK-74 kit...You know where this is going, right ??
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I definitely would buy green Bakelite from you, especially if you can make it look as sexy as this

I wonder why Russia didn't go with this for general issue, makes alot more sense than the bright orangeish hue.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:15:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the gun feels 2 pounds lighter!!! it has to be  >6 lbs now!
View Quote

I believe you mean <6 pounds.
< = less than
> = greater than
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL!  good catch!  
Quoted:

< = less than
> = greater than
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the gun feels 2 pounds lighter!!! it has to be  >6 lbs now!

< = less than
> = greater than

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Got my furniture set in.

I was initially very pleased when I first inspected the handguards and pistol grip.  But then I got to the stock, which feels like it was made for a toy AK replica because it weighs hardly anything compared to what I'm used to.  For reference, it weighs 8.5 oz, and I suspect that's largely from the sling swivel and buttplate.  I don't think it's brittle or bad, but I can't help but think that it would hardly survive dropping onto the ground before cracking.

Before I make a decision on returning it / selling it, I'm going to read more on what others think.  I haven't mounted any of it on a rifle, so my experience is still limited.  Maybe I'm just whining over nothing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The material chosen for this project is a special blend of nylon & an Ionomer that allows the parts to have great structural integrity at High & Low temperature ranges with out being brittle.The Ionomer is more expensive than the run of the mill nylon & is a DuPont  product. We wanted a high quality product that offered reduced weight to the operator. This is the same product that is used in golf balls and creates strength without adding excess weight like calcium or glass filler .
View Quote

I really like, I am just wondering if there is a way I can purchase just the stock as I think I fitted mine a bit too much.

I really like how much lighter it makes the rifle and IF I had to find something to complain about, it would just be the gloss, but part of me even likes that to.

Excellent job Atlantic on these stocks. I bed if you eventually started to offer them
In different colors, ala OD Green, they would really sell. (Hint hint)
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The stock sets are designed to be light weight but high strength and do not use fillers with the Nylon like sand used in other stock sets . Much like Carbon fiber you can still have light weight and strength at the same time .We have tested these along side of the K-VAR stock sets driving over them with a Deuce n Half and both held up just fine , We take a video of this and post early this upcoming week.
View Quote

Interesting information, thank you
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:04:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like a winning formula to me, but I'm concerned about how it holds up against cleaning solvents. I use nonchlorinated break cleaner to flush the crude out of my ak rifles how stable are theses verses solvents and corrosives have you guys ran any sample solvent reaction tests on theses? Like sweets 7.62 hopes bore cleaner gun scrubber and maybe nonchlorinated break cleaner to see if it causes any break down? I know that's a lot to ask. I just had to great work so far thanks for being on sight with the info first hand.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Any plans on making Mags? If you guys made 47 and 74 mags you'd probably be able to sell them at $25-30 all day long. I have no idea how much a mag mold would be, but it seems easier than the stock sets and you have the color and swirl down.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Any plans on making Mags? If you guys made 47 and 74 mags you'd probably be able to sell them at $25-30 all day long. I have no idea how much a mag mold would be, but it seems easier than the stock sets and you have the color and swirl down.
View Quote

I had been thinking the same thing, but figured they probably weren't interested in getting that deep into this.

Folks are pretty picky about their AK mags, but 922r compliant mags with that look would be nice.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I weighed all the parts, along with a few others I had to show some basic comparisons and offer boring data to those that want it.

The colors on all these photos are way off, so don't make any judgments.  Mine are a dull orangish-red.

Weights all in ounces.  Photos from an iPad.

Here is the Atlantic 'fakelite' pistol grip:

KVAR with rubber grip tape on front and back:

Surplus Polish bakelite (which is thicker than standard grips):

Atlantic fakelite handguard:

Surplus Bulgarian handguard:

WASR wood handguard:

Surplus Polish laminate with palm swell, no finish / no stain:

Atlantic fakelite stock:

WASR stock:

Not pictured, my NATO-length KVAR fixed stock is somewhere between 12.5-13 ounces.

Here is a poorly lit photo of the gun halfway finished.  I can't find my stock screws so I couldn't put the buttstock on:
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#40]
With all the photos out of the way, my thoughts:

-From a practical point of view, my biggest issue is not the shine, but how slick these are.  I can't fault the product or Atlantic Firearms, as these are made specifically to be this way, but just an opinion.  I have solutions in mind (like Krylon clear non-skid coating, stippling, etc.).  This isn't the first rifle I'd use in an emergency anyways, so I'm not worried about that.

-The material is definitely not weak.  My portable Dremel tool almost wasn't powerful enough to grind the parts to fit.  At least as strong of a polymer as anything else.

-I recommend filing the sharp edges on the upper and lower handguard, where the two come together on the rifle.  Mine are damn near sharp and make holding the gun uncomfortable.  Round those corners off first, no problem.

I will post more when I shoot the gun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:20:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Great, thanks for the testing of solvents on these It looks like you guys have a winning combo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:45:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Great work, dear lord I wish I could work for company like yours. Thanks for the updates.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm ordering a set right now for my old WASR.  It's wood is pretty nice, but like someone else mentioned, I don't know why, but i just love Bakelite!  I already have a couple Russian bakelite mags, and the WASR's Bayo has a bakelite grip (normal steel sheath though, so once you guys have some bakelite ones in stock, I'll pick one of those up too!)
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#48]
These things look awesome....I WILL be buying a set. Just awesome.

EDIT: make that "did" buy a set ....I'll post pics when I get them & install them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Got mine today....I think it's fantastic. Fit perfect on my Bulgarian 74, no fitting needed, and it's a spot on match with the bakelite mag. The rifle just looks awesome now. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:16:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Some ghetto iPhone pics until I can get some better ones...

Flash on:

Flash off:

As you can see, the guys at Atlantic seem to have gotten the color match to the bakelite mags down perfectly. I love this stock set....switching to this from a plum stock set feels like getting a completely new gun.
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top