Link Posted: 4/11/2016 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
^ He's right you know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's my two cents.

Any modern combatant who would carry an ak into combat over an ar is retarded.

This conclusion could be made on the controls alone.

Horrible safety, optic mounting, magazine loading, charging handle, ect

The internals on a real AKM are completely asinine.

The AR is much easier to fully break down.

Please do not argue this unless you have assembled a real AKM fire control group.

With that all said I do like the AK for what it is. I do own one and enjoy shooting it. In true arfcom fashion. Get both!
View Quote

Safety. Eh, sure.

Optics mount?  No. Plenty of great solutions available now. Same with furniture and everything else for the AK. It's not five years ago.

Internals asinine?  No. They are fine.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2016 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Problem?

While we are at it the sights and trigger are horrible too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my two cents.

Please do not argue this unless you have assembled a real AKM fire control group.

With that all said I do like the AK for what it is. I do own one and enjoy shooting it. In true arfcom fashion. Get both!

What in the ever loving fuck!?  wow

Problem?

Lol. Sights are fine for irons. Tapco G2 and ATK are great triggers.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Both have been going strong all over the world for the better part of a century now. Both are gtg if its not a piece of shit mechanically speaking.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 2:06:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 top of the trashcan izhmash russian aks.

They're fun, but AR'S are "better".  More accuratr, better bullets, better ergos, better accessories.

Reliability is a wash at best (for the ak)

I've had significantly fewer malfunctons in the last few thousand rounds thru AR than AK, and I consider maintaining my ar to be squirting some clp in the dust cover once a month.

I wouldnt want to get shot at by either.

ETA - I am retarded for stepping into this thread.  Some super derp here.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:02:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Safety. Eh, sure.

Optics mount?  No. Plenty of great solutions available now. Same with furniture and everything else for the AK. It's not five years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my two cents.

Safety. Eh, sure.

So you have experience with an actual AKM internals?

How do I mount a scope? The non standardarized cantilever mount? Or maybe I mount it to something that's not an afixed position in relashionship to the barrel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my two cents.

Problem?

What sights are you comparing it to? A nerf gun? Way to mention two after market triggers. Since we are comparing aftermarkets want to put them up against a SSA-E trigger?
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What sights are you comparing it to? A nerf gun? Way to mention two after market triggers. Since we are comparing aftermarkets want to put them up against a SSA-E trigger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's my two cents.

Problem?

The Tapco G2 trigger is the most common trigger found in any AK you will buy these day. It is basically the standard. Due to compliance issues pretty much every AK imported into the US will have an "aftermarket" trigger.

ETA: And as far as the AKT goes, it is a $50 trigger.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The Tapco G2 trigger is the most common trigger found in any AK you will buy these day. It is basically the standard. Due to compliance issues pretty much every AK imported into the US will have an "aftermarket" trigger.

View Quote

Ok understandable. Does not negate the other issues though.

Now don't take it wrong guys. I do like the AK I have. Just no comparison is usability between the two.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now don't take it wrong guys. I do like the AK I have. Just no comparison is usability between the two.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is where I get stumped Usability is dependent on the usage, the user, and the user's own familiarity with weapon systems. An AR in the hands of a strict AK user would feel alien, and vice versa. Not sparking an argument, I simply disagree with saying the "usability" is so strongly one sided.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's your opinion and I think it's wrong. Just you think mine is. :)

One day, not to long ago, my wife has her cousin over. Both not gun people. They like guns but never Handled them. So as an experiment I pulled out a Magpul AR, a normal wood AK, and a Magoul AK.

I first gave them the AR and the plain AK. Obviously they preferred the AR ergonomics. As most would expect.

Then I gave them the Magpul AK. Zhukov series. One said she thought both were the same and one thought the AK was better.

Remember, this is apples to apples as far as what you can buy already done. Both guns are offered from reputable companies with Magpul furniture.

I make it a point to do this test with all the people I can. The results are almost always the same.  

And there are more options than just the MOE and Zhuckov furniture.  So to say the AR ergos are better is not being accurate either unintentionally or intentionally. Obviously it'll vary from person to person, but to proclaim the AR the ultimate winner isn't accurate anymore.

And there are plenty of good mounting solutions from the Ultimak to MI or RS side rail mounts that result in some very accurate AK's.

But these are opinions and it seems we are unlikely to change each other's.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One day, not to long ago, my wife has her cousin over. Both not gun people. They like guns but never Handled them. So as an experiment I pulled out a Magpul AR, a normal wood AK, and a Magoul AK.

I first gave them the AR and the plain AK. Obviously they preferred the AR ergonomics. As most would expect.

Then I gave them the Magpul AK. Zhukov series. One said she thought both were the same and one thought the AK was better.

Remember, this is apples to apples as far as what you can buy already done. Both guns are offered from reputable companies with Magpul furniture.

I make it a point to do this test with all the people I can. The results are almost always the same.  

And there are more options than just the MOE and Zhuckov furniture.  So to say the AR ergos are better is not being accurate either unintentionally or intentionally. Obviously it'll vary from person to person, but to proclaim the AR the ultimate winner isn't accurate anymore.

And there are plenty of good mounting solutions from the Ultimak to MI or RS side rail mounts that result in some very accurate AK's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That just shows their ignorance in firearms

Also you can't just handle a firearm once or twice and know what you like or don't. I have been into the shooting sport for over 15 years and sometimes it still takes me some time to determine what I like and dislike.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They both have their strengths and weaknesses.  Just get both.  Variety is fun.
View Quote

Every post after this one has left me weeping for humanity.

I know arfcom is a "discussion" forum, but trading dubious opinions masquerading as facts in an attempt to one up each other isn't "discussion" and only serves to highlight the various posters' ignorance. Reading this thread leads me irresistibly to the old chestnut that it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know arfcom is a "discussion" forum, but trading dubious opinions masquerading as facts in an attempt to one up each other isn't "discussion" and only serves to highlight the various posters' ignorance. Reading this thread leads me irresistibly to the old chestnut that it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you follow your own advice. I find opinionated discussion enjoyable. Nice to see other peoples side of things. Don't be such a party pooper
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That just shows Thier ignorance in firearms
View Quote

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion.

I'm sure you know yourself and that's the case with you but some people can immediately tell what feels good or bad to them. I had a Glock 19 I liked. One day I picked up a M&P and instantly knew I had to have it. It felt better than the Glock, to me, and in turn I shoot better with it.

And we have to be specific. In the case of my wife and cousin, shooting the gun would introduce recoil into the equation and cloud my experiment which was purely ergonomics. But again, it's different from person to person anyway so it's hard to quantify. I actually know people who swear they think a regular wood AK has better ergo's than an AR. I call nonsense but they don't waiver.

So I think this is just fun internet banter more than anything. No sense in getting worked up over it.

For instance, while it seems I'm espousing the virtues of the AK, my current PC SHTF load out us setup for the AR due to my assumption there will be more ammo, mags, and parts laying around.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I see you follow your own advice. I find opinionated discussion enjoyable. Nice to see other peoples side of things. Don't be such a party pooper
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's my party, I can poop if I want to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#17]
ARs are definitely trash My first AR, piece of garbage Bushmaster 20" never malfunctioned. Second AR, refuse, Double Star build, never malfunctioned, so I Ares Pistoned it, still wouldn't fail. Had problems with 2 Norinco 556 rifles, firing pin hole in bolt would cut a disk out of primers, and after a few rounds would jam fp in bolt. Chamfering the fp hole fixed that. Every 7.62 × 39 AK I've fired has been 100%, even the ones I built with screws. Hell even the screwy home built PSL has been 100% and in slow motion too.

What is wrong with you people If it doesn't work right, make it work right and stop complaining like little girls

If it looks cool buy it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I love the historical significance of the AK pattern rifles, and they are a blast to shoot. I also think that no collection is complete without at least one.

With that being said, I do have a preference for the AR15 platform.
View Quote

~FIN~
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:33:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I've shot many AR and AK type rifles and have a preference for the AR platform but both rifles do what they were designed for. . The AR ammunition is far lighter to carry more of, the ergonomics are superior,  the sighting system is better and so is accuracy BUT I once shot one of the original Bulgarian made Arsenal AKs and it was very accurate. The trouble is that too many cheap low quality AK's are being produced these days. The Century AK's in particular are light duty, very inaccurate and made of soft steel   Repetitive rapid fire can and will melt a Century soft steel barrel. Checkout You Tube. The inter ordnance rifles are not much better. Where the AK rifle really stands out is in its ability to work in dirty conditions but if you get an AK that shoots pie plate groups or bigger)  it ruins the operating characteristics.. Point is that there are quality AR's and quality AK's  If you go cheap you will get  poor performance. While the days of the  $279.00 Chinese made Norico AK's are gone, and the price of that rifle is now close to what an AR rifle costs, if you spend  $500-$700 on an AK insist on quality, a forged receiver and good accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
... if you spend  $500-$700 on an AK insist on quality, a forged receiver and good accuracy.
View Quote

What tree do these grow on?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Repetitive rapid fire can and will melt a Century soft steel barrel.
View Quote

This is based on what?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've shot many AR and AK type rifles and have a preference for the AR platform but both rifles do what they were designed for. . The AR ammunition is far lighter to carry more of, the ergonomics are superior,  the sighting system is better and so is accuracy BUT I once shot one of the original Bulgarian made Arsenal AKs and it was very accurate. The trouble is that too many cheap low quality AK's are being produced these days. The Century AK's in particular are light duty, very inaccurate and made of soft steel   Repetitive rapid fire can and will melt a Century soft steel barrel. Checkout You Tube. The inter ordnance rifles are not much better. Where the AK rifle really stands out is in its ability to work in dirty conditions but if you get an AK that shoots pie plate groups or bigger)  it ruins the operating characteristics.. Point is that there are quality AR's and quality AK's  If you go cheap you will get  poor performance. While the days of the  $279.00 Chinese made Norico AK's are gone, and the price of that rifle is now close to what an AR rifle costs, if you spend  $500-$700 on an AK insist on quality, a forged receiver and good accuracy.
View Quote

Uh, what?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#23]
How is this thread still going?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How is this thread still going?
View Quote

For the same reason the Kardashians are still on TV: stupidity sells.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Or you could just build an AR in 7.62X39 and have the best of both worlds.
It about all I shoot any more.
With an AR in 7.62X39 you have Ease of mounting optics, good iron sights, accurate with steel case(twice as accurate as my AK's)
Ease of trigger change, ease of replacing parts.... The list is long
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
With an AR in 7.62X39 you have Ease of mounting optics, good iron sights, accurate with steel case(twice as accurate as my AK's)
View Quote

What kind of volume of fire are you putting through this? I've always worried about how thin the metal was at the lugs on the bolt. Any issues with that? And what magazines are you using? That has always been my other big concern about an AR in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Well, I built 2 using a barrel and bcg from fatboy tactical. 1 of the bcg is Givati co usa.
I have over 1700 rounds through each gun in about a years time, no broken bolts yet.
I did buy an LMT bolt for backup.
Using 8 Gen 3 CPD 30 round mags and 2 of the latest ASC 30rd mags, i prefer the CPD mags.
Runs flawlessly with Wolf, Tula, S&B, GT, Monarch.
I did put a RedXArms extended firing pin in both builds because I was having light primer strikes. NONE since.
Carbine gas, H3 buffer on the collapsible buffer extension, rifle buffer on the other with A1 stock, PWS (scar 17 take offs) brake on both,
Absolute pleasures to shoot.
Here's a pic with my trunk monkey.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This will go well.

ETA: I love the historical significance of the AK pattern rifles, and they are a blast to shoot. I also think that no collection is complete without at least one.

With that being said, I do have a preference for the AR15 platform.
View Quote

Well put. That also expresses my feelings on the matter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Problem with that is you still have all the "issues" you get with a DI gun unless you go piston. You also have the issues about it being picky about mags and maybe even ammo..but I think a lot of that has been resolved.

The beauty of an AK is in its simplicity...you can feed them a steady diet of the crappiest surplus ammo you can find, not clean it for hundreds if not thousands or rounds, and generally beat the shit out of it and it will just smile and keep on running.

Also there are accurate AKs out there...will one ever be as accurate as a good AR? probably not..but good enough for 90 percent of the people out there...yes.

Keep in mind Im a AR guy...I wanted a X39 AR..but the cost to do it right and the finicky nature of them..Im just going to get an AK...its much easier...

How much do you have in your builds if you dont mind saying? Because even after having said all that I still haven't completely given up on the x39 AR idea
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Having gotten into 5.56 AKs recently I'd have to say that the lion's share of accuracy differences are ammo related.  In other words, 223/5.56 ammo is way more accurate than 5.45x39 or 7.62x39.  ARs are still more accurate but when ammo is similar quality that difference is less than half.  So perception is largely based on AR with good ammo vs. AK with junk ammo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I have always found the AK system to be more the adequate for hitting a man size target.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Problem with that is you still have all the "issues" you get with a DI gun unless you go piston. You also have the issues about it being picky about mags and maybe even ammo..but I think a lot of that has been resolved.

The beauty of an AK is in its simplicity...you can feed them a steady diet of the crappiest surplus ammo you can find, not clean it for hundreds if not thousands or rounds, and generally beat the shit out of it and it will just smile and keep on running.

Also there are accurate AKs out there...will one ever be as accurate as a good AR? probably not..but good enough for 90 percent of the people out there...yes.

Keep in mind Im a AR guy...I wanted a X39 AR..but the cost to do it right and the finicky nature of them..Im just going to get an AK...its much easier...

How much do you have in your builds if you dont mind saying? Because even after having said all that I still haven't completely given up on the x39 AR idea
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I installed a RedX Arms extended firing pin, I haven't had but 1 problem, I had 1 jam at 749 rounds through the build pictured on the right in the above post.
All I run is steel case Wolf, Tula, GT, Monarch... Through all my X39 guns.
EDIT; i have over 1500 rounds through 1 of my builds that had a jam at round 749, cleaned at that time but not since.
2nd build has over 1700 rounds through it and I haven't cleaned it, it is surprisingly clean.

BCG & Barrel from FBT $230
UTG pro hngrd $120
MI hndgrd panel kit $20X2
PWS FSC30 used takeoff $60
LPK $50
Lower $45 OTD FBT
UPPER $75 used EE
Charge handle w/ext latch $50
A1 stock kit $75
Grip $20
RedX Arms Extended FP $10
CPD mags $20 each
Strike 60' selector $20
ALG SG3 $225
Nikon P300 w/mounts $200
Barrel misc parts(gas tube/gas block) $30

Example, 25 yards 18 rounds through each gun.
MAK90 open sight, ARX39 Nikon P300
Red dots were POA, center was MAK90, left was ARX39
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#35]
How is your di gas system with dirty Russian steel cased ammo? I had a  1600 round run of 55 grain wolf non polymer coated it wasn't accurate like my m193 federal milspec ammo but it went bang in my bushmast m4. Just dirtier than a whore with 100 tricks and no rabbits with fruity cereal, and no bath for a week. lol   Ilike the idea of a bastard ar47

<removed> this is a technical forum. dryflash3
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How is your di gas system with dirty Russian steel cased ammo? I had a  1600 round run of 55 grain wolf non polymer coated it wasn't accurate like my m193 federal milspec ammo but it went bang in my bushmast m4. Just dirtier than a whore with 100 tricks and no rabbits with fruity cereal, and no bath for a week. lol   Ilike the idea of a bastard ar47

View Quote

I have two x39 ARs and love them dearly.  Both are very reliable and will run any ammo I feed them.  That said, after a 500 round afternoon with some Wolf, it looks like someone with explosive diarrhea took a dump on my bolt carrier.  The term dirty doesn't even begin to cover it.  Cleans up easily enough though.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top