Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 8:21:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any update on magpuls analysis of this?
View Quote

They analyzed it and realized everyone forgot about it, so they didn't wan to bring it up again?

I have a Zhukov stock, and my main problem with it is the latch.  It's not really comfortable for me to press the button to fold it in any angle I've tried.  It's flush with the stock and in a bad place to get my fingers on any way I try.  I end up having to hold the rifle out and smash the button with my right thumb (trigger hand) and then whack it with my shoulder to get it to fold.  I can do my Romanian wire folder with my hand still on the grip and just by tilting the rifle to the right so it folds itself.

I'm hoping version 2 has a better latch mechanism.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We have been a bit slammed here with everything so the guys in engineering have not got the chance to write up the findings in a way suitable for an open forum.

Without getting into details the failure shown was due to a particular set of circumstances that are not common. The issue was a combination of elements present only when mortaring the stock on the tail of the buttpad.

For this reason we recommend mortaring the Zukov stock at a 90 degree angle so the impact is on the top of the buttpad to avoid any possibility of this issue occurring.
View Quote

Cool thank you for the respone... I do love the feel and functionality of this stock.. I still can't wait for the 74 mags and aug mags whoot whoot
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 3:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We have been a bit slammed here with everything so the guys in engineering have not got the chance to write up the findings in a way suitable for an open forum.
View Quote

Is there an ETA on the writeup from engineering? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:27:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, Magpul contacted me within a day or so of that video going live. They swore they had never seen such a thing and asked if I would return the stock so they could examine it. They said they would send two more out for me to abuse on camera to prove it was a fluke and report back to me as to what their findings were regarding the failure.

I got (1) replacement stock in the mail and since mailing the defective stock back they've gone completely radio silent. I've heard no reports as to their findings.

I will take my one stock and the another one I bought and resume my testing.

From what I saw of the failure and looking at the break point, I'm going with the hinge needs a sheet metal reenforcement molded into the hinge, which is what I told Magpul in our phone convo. I suspect that won't happen anytime soon given the tooling costs. They will sell these for a couple of years before they invest in V2. At this point I would suggest avoiding the Zhukov folding stock if you plan to put it on a "go to war" rifle. For a range plinker, it's fine.
View Quote
I just pulled off the two Zhukov folders I installed a couple of months ago on my rifles. If you need a few more for evaluation, I will give them to you for free.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:07:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just pulled off the two Zhukov folders I installed a couple of months ago on my rifles. If you need a few more for evaluation, I will give them to you for free.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, Magpul contacted me within a day or so of that video going live. They swore they had never seen such a thing and asked if I would return the stock so they could examine it. They said they would send two more out for me to abuse on camera to prove it was a fluke and report back to me as to what their findings were regarding the failure.

I got (1) replacement stock in the mail and since mailing the defective stock back they've gone completely radio silent. I've heard no reports as to their findings.

From what I saw of the failure and looking at the break point, I'm going with the hinge needs a sheet metal reenforcement molded into the hinge, which is what I told Magpul in our phone convo. I suspect that won't happen anytime soon given the tooling costs. They will sell these for a couple of years before they invest in V2. At this point I would suggest avoiding the Zhukov folding stock if you plan to put it on a "go to war" rifle. For a range plinker, it's fine.

Very generous!  I haven't frozen mine and mortared it at an angle yet so I'm still liking it and considering it an awesome stock that works great!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bet he wouldn't have broke my wire sidefolder(Romanian lever) or a Bulgarian 4.5 triangle
View Quote

Bet he wouldn't have broken my Romanian Laminated stock either....

Sometimes Simple Old Tech is Best Tech...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Kiss.... Haha simple and solid haha
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, I'll take one for sure! Lol
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:35:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Very generous!  I haven't frozen mine and mortared it at an angle yet so I'm still liking it and considering it an awesome stock that works great!  
View Quote

The two Zhukov hand guards I put on my rifles a couple of months ago are awesome. Those are staying on my rifles. I replaced the Zhukov buttstocks with CNC Warrior's tubular Galil folding stocks.

If Magpul releases a second generation Zhukov buttstock and charges a small upgrade fee to those who purchased their first generation buttstock to purchase the second generation buttstock, I might try it again. Magpul is a great company. Its good to see them doing things for the AK, and I am sure they will continue to do great things for the AK community, but I think they need to come clean on this one.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The two Zhukov hand guards I put on my rifles a couple of months ago are awesome. Those are staying on my rifles. I replaced the Zhukov buttstocks with CNC Warrior's tubular Galil folding stocks.

If Magpul releases a second generation Zhukov buttstock and charges a small upgrade fee to those who purchased their first generation buttstock to purchase the second generation buttstock, I might try it again. Magpul is a great company. Its good to see them doing things for the AK, and I am sure they will continue to do great things for the AK community, but I think they need to come clean on this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Your stocks broke too?    If not, you must have had other reasons for bailing.  That video made me think, "hmm... Interesting ."  It damn sure didn't have me pulling my favorite stock off my weapon.  Not even close.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

For this reason we recommend mortaring the Zukov stock at a 90 degree angle so the impact is on the top of the buttpad to avoid any possibility of this issue occurring.
View Quote

Perhaps you could put out a video demonstrating the correct way to accidentally drop a rifle so as to avoid breaking the expensive furniture.

good lord.....

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Perhaps you could put out a video demonstrating the correct way to accidentally drop a rifle so as to avoid breaking the expensive furniture.

good lord.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good lord.....

It's not even dropping it. Plenty if vids showing the stock getting abused. There is only so much any stock can take. Plus add water freezing and what not.....

Yeah I'm not taking mine off and I'll take them off of anybody who wants to send any my way lol.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Cold weather, possible ice wedging going on, and a slam on frozen ground hitting the toe placing extra leverage on the hinge seems like a "perfect storm" scenario to me, but I understand concern if it's on your fighting rifle

As others have said, if anyone is trashing their Zhukov I will be glad to take it off your hands and risk my life with it!

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Any folding stock is a compromise to a solid stock. Depends on what you want.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 2:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

good lord.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good lord.....

I'm really loving the CNC Warrior tubular Galil-style folding stocks I put on. They're a real confidence boost.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump...Still waiting on the MAGPUL Response.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Without getting into details the failure shown was due to a particular set of circumstances that are not common. The issue was a combination of elements present only when mortaring the stock on the tail of the buttpad.

View Quote

There are probably many more sets of circumstances that will cause gross failure of the buttstock.

It is underhanded deception to promote the idea that the failure is an isolated incident.

Do us all a favor and take this junk off the market.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I read that was waiting on the details that they were talking about.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If there is a widely available folding stock for the AK that is under $100 and is superior to the Zhukov in ergonomics and durability, now would be the time for someone to enlighten us. Until then, I don't see anything directly competing with the Zhukov. Cough up $600 or so to have an AK100 installed if you want something really tough. Or, just buy 6 Zhukovs and don't get upset until the 6th one has broken.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If there is a widely available folding stock for the AK that is under $100 and is superior to the Zhukov in ergonomics and durability, now would be the time for someone to enlighten us. Until then, I don't see anything directly competing with the Zhukov. Cough up $600 or so to have an AK100 installed if you want something really tough. Or, just buy 6 Zhukovs and don't get upset until the 6th one has broken.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tapco, lol, at least it's cheap! Probably stronger too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Even the ergos of the Zhukov suck. It sits too high for comfortable iron sights use. I can't imagine why you'd need to add a riser to it, but they decided to include that functionality while completely ignoring the strength of the hinge. CNC Warrior provides a much stronger solution for around $130.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. They are absolutely horrible. Use one, you will understand.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even the ergos of the Zhukov suck. It sits too high for comfortable iron sights use. I can't imagine why you'd need to add a riser to it, but they decided to include that functionality while completely ignoring the strength of the hinge. CNC Warrior provides a much stronger solution for around $130.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol

Zhukov comb is about the same as a WARSAW, which feels like home to many. The riser was for people who might be using an optic and I could live without it. A revision with a stronger hinge would be great

I don't see a folding stock at CNC Warrior for less than $155 plus shipping. Looks like someone basically copied the ACE design that can fold under fire and the comb appears to climb at the rear, just like when using the ACE adapter, ACE design folding mech, and stock. I'd still rather have the Zhukov, less expensive, doesn't climb at the rear when properly installed, and I have yet to have one fold under fire on a shotgun.
I have had folders with the ACE hinge design fold while firing exactly like this.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cziaavT5Fzg

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny that's not a zhukov on the gauge in your avatar. Looks a lot like a Manticore.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:46:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Funny that's not a zhukov on the gauge in your avatar. Looks a lot like a Manticore.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe he uses military folders for his builds.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can confirm this.  I have a Tapco "Galil-style" folder.  It's in a box somehwere here.  It sucked so bad.  Floppy (doesn't lock tight in either position), uncomfortable, and ugly to boot.  I love Tapco and used to live right up the road from them in Kennesaw and dropped in personally to pick up orders at that strange front desk with little black powder cannons on it.  But that Tapco folding stock sucks.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I am still using the Zhukov stocks on my rifles. I recently posted a video with another rifle I equipped with the stock. In this video I stand on a picnic table and drop it butt first onto the ground. Yes, I can slap them hard enough to cause them to fold, but so far that's never happened to me accidentally so I don't currently see that as much of an issue. Jump to 10:14 in the video time line to see me drop the rifle in the video below.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:29:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Russian 5.5mm folder. If I were doing another Saiga 12 I'd probably use a Zhukov on it for ease of install and economic reasons. Freezing really isn't much of an issue here in FL
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#33]
This image was taken off the Ak Operators Union, Local 47-74 Youtube video "Breaking Magpul AK Furniture." They drove over the buttstock with a car while the buttstock was in the folded position. I am not sure any buttstock could survive this, but the picture of the broken buttstock reveals how little amount of plastic holds the buttstock together.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24150&stc=1&d=1472507986

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24150&stc=1&d=1472507986

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top