Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/23/2016 2:34:18 PM EDT
10:02

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it weird that this makes me sad even though I live in South Florida and can't imagine I'll ever be using my gun in freezing snow temperatures? If I had the spare loot, I'd already own this stock. Been researching what to replace the wood on my WASR with, and this has been high on the list.

Hmm.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Shit... This is a bummer I just put one of these on my rpk and really liked it. But with -30 weather and Wyoming hard ass frozen ground this is no go...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Right after I put a Zhukov on this past weekend.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#4]
He apparently sprayed water into some areas of the guns before freezing.

I think even after a dunking you'd shake out the water before allowing it to freeze, maybe spray with CLP.

If you're going to abuse it with ice/freezing, then why not fill the bore with water before freezing it?

Guaranteed KB with any gun.

The Zhukov fail, well, it's plastic and cold and hitting the ground with it will break it.

I'd prolly break my Scar or B&T stocks doing the same thing.

But I won't ever subject my guns to this intentional abuse.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
No surprise. Check out the ACR forum. Magpul ACR stocks have been known to break at the hinge point. This is what happens when there aren't any metal reinforcement's.
Adapters to retrofit the ACR stock have been introduced by several for other platforms. Fortunately, the hinge area was reinforced to prevent such breakages.
Not a fan of the Zhukov stock. With that said, the MOE AK stock is built fairly well. Don't really care for the storage compartment lid, as the lip could easily break off.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#6]
What's next? "I stuck my Slr107fr in a furnace and the hinge fir the stock melted"  It seems as if there is always intent to break thee parts and then when they do they are deemed junk.  Just like the mags in the petronov video.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's next? "I stuck my Slr107fr in a furnace and the hinge fir the stock melted"  It seems as if there is always intent to break thee parts and then when they do they are deemed junk.  Just like the mags in the petronov video.
View Quote

There was no deliberate attempt or intent to break the stock. He didn't even hit it very hard

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There was no deliberate attempt or intent to break the stock. He didn't even hit it very hard

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am thinking this, doing a hard thump on the stock to rack out a shitty round happens. It wasn't nothing crazy he did just a normal stock bump for a stuck chamber. I sold my scar heavy due to the wobbly stock hinge guess I didn't learn my lesson... Oh well to the EE
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Bet he wouldn't have broke my wire sidefolder(Romanian lever) or a Bulgarian 4.5 triangle
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, shit.  I hate seeing all these teething issues with Magpul AK products lately.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Great.  Just bought one for a 74 build I've been working on.  Now I'm gonna die.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But he didn't hit it straight down either.  Do that exact same test right then with the other stocks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#13]
My surprised face:
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

But he didn't hit it straight down either.  Do that exact same test right then with the other stocks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't a durability test of the stock. As anyone can see, the distance was short (About a foot judging from the camera angle) and the impact was low. MAC didn't mean to break it. It broke because it's a shoddy product. How many broken Russian/USA AK100 polymer stocks have you seen? I've never seen one, but I've seen multiple broken Magpul folders to know better than to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, shit.  I hate seeing all these teething issues with Magpul AK products lately.
View Quote

Magpul has not had a real good time on the AK side of the house for sure.  And to add...I sure have seen enough AK failure vids too lately...WTF is going on?  Is it the influx of shitty US parts?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think even after a dunking you'd shake out the water before allowing it to freeze, maybe spray with CLP.

If you're going to abuse it with ice/freezing, then why not fill the bore with water before freezing it?

The Zhukov fail, well, it's plastic and cold and hitting the ground with it will break it.

View Quote

If you watch the video he explains the reasoning for how he did the test. He was using a spray bottle to simulate condensation that will form on the gun when it is carried indoors and outdoor and back again in freezing temperatures. It wasn't meant to be anything like a dunk test. He was going for frozen condensation.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:47:53 PM EDT
[#17]
oops.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]
What about Tavor

Note to self:  fold Zhukov before mortaring in cold weather or maybe sell Zhukov to Airsofters and use something that won't FAIL

Super Guppy for the win
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
From what i'm reading that was an 1800 dollar Krebs rifle that just fell apart.

Please tell me more about how awesome these expensive "custom" AK's are.

I warn and I warn about crappy products and get called a hater for my trouble...lol...bet they hate me even worse when the wonderbra drops a boob.

The MOE stock is gonna show it's weakness too in short order, the attachment system is almost as weak as the Zhukov in the trunnion area and will crack too.

You guys who jump all over this untested stuff, even to the point of hacking off chunks of your rifle to accommodate it at times, should learn to be a little more patient and wait for longer term testing.

I could take my M92 with it's Manticore stock and destroy every product Magpul ever made and the truck they shipped it in with repeated butt-stroking, and it would still never break.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Thread title should have been................. FREEZING TEMPS CAUSE VARIOUS MALFUNCTIONS AND BREAKAGES...............doh.  The other guns were useful for one magazine full, and then had to be hammered on to make the latch work etc, etc,. This is why I always have a means to cover my rifles in the event I get caught out in rain and freezing weather. Like another poster said, he should have mortared the other guns right then to see how they would have fared. Cold, freezing temps will fuck with all guns tools, machines.
He may have a valid point about the Zhukov, or it may have been nothing more than that one stock being defective in some manner.

In the final analysis: poorly done video leads to conclusions about a product based on a statistically insignificant sample size. = video fail imho.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ummm, maybe I've been out of touch for a while, but what else have been an issue?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Although he really didn't mortar it very well (hit it on the tip of the bottom of the stock) there really isn't much material at the hinge.  Certainly concerning. Plastic for you.

Triangle side folders.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if a Tapco plastic fixed stock would have failed in that mortaring.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Although he really didn't mortar it very well (hit it on the tip of the bottom of the stock) there really isn't much material at the hinge.  Certainly concerning. Plastic for you.

Triangle side folders.
View Quote

Yes.

" />
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#25]
did he throw it at the steel targets?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Are we hating Magpul now?

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I always hated their AK stuff, it's more of an aesthetics thing though.

Folders will never be as strong as fixed stocks, especially plastic ones.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:47:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Ummm, maybe I've been out of touch for a while, but what else have been an issue?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's some discussion on another forum about the gen3 mags.  Basically the mags are really tight on some guns.  There are also people questioning feedlip durability, but the issue is debatable. cold link:  http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240695&page=13
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:50:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, it was under pretty normal conditions. I would not hesitate to do that with one of my guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

This similar situation happened with my gun last week. Out hunting, snow feel sort of melted, then froze.
Difference was I was using a O/U 12 gauge, because PA.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wonder if a Tapco plastic fixed stock would have failed in that mortaring.
View Quote

Yes, years ago I saw one break from being unfolded after being out in the cold.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Cold breaks shit,  period.

A couple years back while hunting in Montana,  I was out during the afternoon when the ambient temp dipped into - 20s and I decided to call it quits. When I got back to the truck and went to empty the internal mag of my dad's old trusty BSA .270, the follower spring shattered into a billion pieces,  dumping the follower and 5 rounds with it into to the deep snow.

That was just a standard Rem 700 style butterfly sprung. The cold made the spring steel shatter like glass.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:52:44 AM EDT
[#33]
The interesting thing I learned is that Krebs has ras47 model. I would not have guessed that.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:41:12 AM EDT
[#34]
How do people not understand that there is a HUGE difference between a gun being reliable under heavy, or even extreme use, and a gun being TORTURED to test its limitation?

Im not trying to defend Magpul or the Zhukov stock or anything either.  I bought one and I decided I didnt want to use it before I even finished installing it for various reasons.  The biggest one being that it folds to the right.  I think thats stupid.  I tried to ignore it, but I couldnt.  Factor in other things like the fact that I just dont think ANY folding stock is as reliable as a fixed stock, no matter how its made, and the fact that it is all plastic and it just didnt seem appealing to me in the end.  Also, I just decided that I wanted to stick with the original look.

Anyway, my point is that if you subject your rifle to what MAC did for that test... your stock breaking off is clearly the least of your worries.  Had that happened to someone treating their rifle with half a sense of respect JUST because it was cold outside, then it would be a much different story.

Again, not trying to hang off Magpuls nuts or anything, Im just saying... take it for what it is.  A gun being TORTURED and breaking under that torture.
That being said, the thing *is* all plastic.  So, if you threw it on your "SHTF" gun or whatever, youre kind of stupid anyway.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#35]
In my opinion, that Magpul stock was not subjected to torturous conditions or actions.  It's a shame that it broke so easily.  I'm not all that surprised though since it is using a polymer hinge.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
In my opinion, that Magpul stock was not subjected to torturous conditions or actions.  It's a shame that it broke so easily.  I'm not all that surprised though since it is using a polymer hinge.
View Quote

I have to agree with this...had the rifle been fired then left outside in the cold/snow for even a brief period of time water could easily have frozen to it in the way that happened to in the MAC video. In fact even living in the relatively balrmy VA for ten years I would routinely find that condensation on my rifle after shooting had frozen in snowy conditions, if I was just doing a woods walk. All Tim tried to do was clear a malfunction in a very normal, in fact quite timid, manner. I actually like the magpul AK stuff and I know what extreme cold can do to most things but I was still pretty shocked it gave up that easily.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can understand that. I've always had their AR stocks and other items and have not had any failures. I did purchase a folder for my WASR and so far it's held up. I'm not a fan of their AK mags though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I would not get too worked up over one stock breaking.  If there are more documented cases of similar breaks, then that's different story.  I'm sure though we will be seeing people trying to duplicate this.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I got bummed out on this right away but after thinking it over I really like the design of the stock. I have two right now and will have plenty of time to test them out in the cold the next few months. Magpul had a good response on their industries section on this site and will be making some Videos comparing their parts to other ak parts. I will be interested to watch those and see some drop and test comparisons. Should be good
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Meh.  I'll give one a go.  If the SHTF and I want to grab an AK, I'd probably grab a different one anyway.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Im wondering if his was defective. The one on my Yugo took quite a bit of abuse over deer season in well below freezing temps. Getting in and out of blinds and stands banging around in the woods. Never had an issue. Sounds like some testing may need to be done, hell magpul might be interested in data on the issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How do people not understand that there is a HUGE difference between a gun being reliable under heavy, or even extreme use, and a gun being TORTURED to test its limitation?

Im not trying to defend Magpul or the Zhukov stock or anything either.  I bought one and I decided I didnt want to use it before I even finished installing it for various reasons.  The biggest one being that it folds to the right.  I think thats stupid.  I tried to ignore it, but I couldnt.  Factor in other things like the fact that I just dont think ANY folding stock is as reliable as a fixed stock, no matter how its made, and the fact that it is all plastic and it just didnt seem appealing to me in the end.  Also, I just decided that I wanted to stick with the original look.

Anyway, my point is that if you subject your rifle to what MAC did for that test... your stock breaking off is clearly the least of your worries.  Had that happened to someone treating their rifle with half a sense of respect JUST because it was cold outside, then it would be a much different story.

Again, not trying to hang off Magpuls nuts or anything, Im just saying... take it for what it is.  A gun being TORTURED and breaking under that torture.
That being said, the thing *is* all plastic.  So, if you threw it on your "SHTF" gun or whatever, youre kind of stupid anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Im wondering if his was defective. The one on my Yugo took quite a bit of abuse over deer season in well below freezing temps. Getting in and out of blinds and stands banging around in the woods. Never had an issue. Sounds like some testing may need to be done, hell magpul might be interested in data on the issue.  

You watched a different video than I did.  There was no weapon TORTURED by any means in that video.  

I would have figured Magpul would have already been in here defending the stock and hammering MAC. I think they know they have a problem.  Just like the AK mags.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you please point to the specific video that you're referring to please? We're talking about MAC's video, and his Zhukov stock that broke from one foot off the ground when he tapped it.
MAC's video shows no "TORTURE" of anything as far as I'm concerned, let alone heavy and extreme use that you've described.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You watched a different video than I did.  There was no weapon TORTURED by any means in that video.  

I would have figured Magpul would have already been in here defending the stock and hammering MAC. I think they know they have a problem.  Just like the AK mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Could you please point to the specific video that you're referring to please? We're talking about MAC's video, and his Zhukov stock that broke from one foot off the ground when he tapped it.
MAC's video shows no "TORTURE" of anything as far as I'm concerned, let alone heavy and extreme use that you've described.

Are you two being serious?  It wasnt being tortured?  What exactly would you consider leaving a gun laying around in ice and spraying it with water in freezing temperatures?  Is that NORMAL use?  Thats hardly a realistic scenario by any stretch of the imagination.  That seems like a torture test to me.  Running around in the cold for an extended amount of time, dropping it in the snow, picking it up and firing it would be far from torture, it would be closer to what I was describing as "heavy or extreme use"... but spraying the thing down with WATER in freezing temperature, leaving it laying around in snow, then picking it up and trying to just fire it isnt really so much as near normal or realistic use for a gun.

The stock didnt break after being "tapped" from from one foot off the ground.  A piece of plastic broke after he FROZE it then hit it on the ground to eject a stuck round... not to mention that he hit it sideways.  Im not saying it wouldnt have broke if he hit it straight down, but lets be realistic here... he didnt just "tap" the stock and it shattered because its a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it does.  Some things break more easily than others, plan accordingly.

That little love tap to the ground that Mac gave that stock hardly constitutes torture.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That little love tap to the ground that Mac gave that stock hardly constitutes torture.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youre right.  I forgot Im talking to a bunch of guys that shower with their guns, then run them outside and bury them in the snow in case the SHTF while theyre shoveling their driveway.
Thank god MAC recreated that likely scenario.  So now you know the Zhukov stock will get you killed because it cant handle being frozen and hit against the ground.

Like it even matters if the stock broke since the gun wouldnt fire anyway.

Im surprised people arent in here shitting on the AK now.  It looked like the AK failed as much as the stock did.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Are you two being serious?  It wasnt being tortured?  What exactly would you consider leaving a gun laying around in ice and spraying it with water in freezing temperatures?  Is that NORMAL use?  Thats hardly a realistic scenario by any stretch of the imagination.  That seems like a torture test to me.  Running around in the cold for an extended amount of time, dropping it in the snow, picking it up and firing it would be far from torture, it would be closer to what I was describing as "heavy or extreme use"... but spraying the thing down with WATER in freezing temperature, leaving it laying around in snow, then picking it up and trying to just fire it isnt really so much as near normal or realistic use for a gun.

The stock didnt break after being "tapped" from from one foot off the ground.  A piece of plastic broke after he FROZE it then hit it on the ground to eject a stuck round... not to mention that he hit it sideways.  Im not saying it wouldnt have broke if he hit it straight down, but lets be realistic here... he didnt just "tap" the stock and it shattered because its a piece of shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

He had his hand on the rifle the entire time. From the angle of the camera, it appears that the rifle was only about one foot off the ground as he is kneeling down with it. Yes, he tapped it. It broke because it IS a POS. You come off sounding like a shill for Magpul, and your tirade about a torture test is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently, you have zero clue to what an actual torture test is, and know so little of what constitutes extreme and heavy use. What MAC presented is a far cry from a torture test, or even extreme use by any stretch of the imagination, except for yours.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Youre right.  I forgot Im talking to a bunch of guys that shower with their guns, then run them outside and bury them in the snow in case the SHTF while theyre shoveling their driveway.
Thank god MAC recreated that likely scenario.  So now you know the Zhukov stock will get you killed because it cant handle being frozen and hit against the ground.

Im surprised people arent in here shitting on the AK now.  It looked like the AK failed as much as the stock did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you read about the Korean War?  There is some interesting info concerning firearms in subzero wx and what our fighting men had to do to keep them running.

You might be surprised how close the conditions MAC created are to that war.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:58:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
He had his hand on the rifle the entire time. From the angle of the camera, it appears that the rifle was only about one foot off the ground as he is kneeling down with it. Yes, he tapped it. It broke because it IS a POS. You come off sounding like a shill for Magpul, and your tirade about a torture test is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently, you have zero clue to what an actual torture test is, and know so little of what constitutes extreme and heavy use. What MAC presented is a far cry from a torture test, or even extreme use by any stretch of the imagination, except for yours.
View Quote

Yet rob didn't break his by pounding it off steel, maybe Tim's was defective or it already had a problem such as a crack.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah Im a shill for Magpul because Im saying spraying your gun down with water and letting it sit in freezing conditions isnt very realistic.  I even said one of the reasons I DONT use the stock is because its completely made out of plastic.  Maybe my problem is that Im not stupid enough to look at something made completely out of plastic, then do the pee-pee dance when someone freezes it and it breaks.  It didnt take that much for me to know I didnt trust it enough to use a gun I would like to trust my life to.

I dont suppose you took the time to notice he could barely get the AK itself to function, so I suppose AKs are pieces of shit now too, right?  Are you going to get rid of all of your AKs because MAC showed you how shitty they are?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top