Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/7/2016 4:54:51 PM EDT
i just finally shot my new arsenal...wow..im highly impressed!i put a alg trigger in it and am super happy with it...now i need to clean it,however i remember reading here that certain solvents will eat the finish..i have hoppes #9..is that ok?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i just finally shot my new arsenal...wow..im highly impressed!i put a alg trigger in it and am super happy with it...now i need to clean it,however i remember reading here that certain solvents will eat the finish..i have hoppes #9..is that ok?
View Quote

Use only CLP.  It's what they list in the manual and will not damage the finish.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Hoppe's will most likely remove some of the OEM paint due to its high ammonia content.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Ive used Hoppes on my SGL-21, it didnt ruin the finish.  I didnt rub it all over the gun though, just down the barrel... so I dont know what people are doing that its removing their finish.

But I use CLP more than anything, which I have rubbed on the gun, and it didnt remove any finish.  So you would be good with that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive used Hoppes on my SGL-21, it didnt ruin the finish.  I didnt rub it all over the gun though, just down the barrel... so I dont know what people are doing that its removing their finish.

But I use CLP more than anything, which I have rubbed on the gun, and it didnt remove any finish.  So you would be good with that.
View Quote

The SGLs had a decent finish.  It could stand up to some solvents.  The SLR's have a horrible finish that damn near just rinses away from solvents.  Best to just stick to CLP on those.  I may use a solvent in the barrel, but I'm really careful to keep it off the rest of the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
ok thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Also worth mentioning that hoppes is NOT recommended for use with chrome line bores,  as ammonia can etch chrome.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Ballistol works great
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Use only CLP.  It's what they list in the manual and will not damage the finish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I use Breakfree. Not because I particularly love it, but because I got a lot of it for free
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ballistol works great
View Quote

That and some foaming bore cleaner are all I use.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I use only Breakfree CLP on mine...nothing else!!

Nothing else is needed.
The Breakfree CLP works great and that is what Arsenal recommends.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top