Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/6/2016 3:10:57 PM EDT
I have a Lancaster NDS-3 built from a Romy G kit that I purchased back in 07. It came with a US made pistol grip but I want to put a Romanian bakelite pistol grip on it. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what all parts on the rifle are US in order to stay compliant. I know the receiver and trigger group are US for sure. I believe the front trunnion, bolt and bolt carrier are Romanian since they have matching numbers. I also believe the barrel is Romanian since I've read that if the bolt, bolt carrier and trunnion match, then the barrel is probably original though I'm not 100% on that - can anyone confirm? There are no marks on the barrel that I can see.  I'm am also unsure of the slant muzzle brake and gas piston since they have no markings. The stock and handguards are wood and there fore I believe they're Romanian too.

All that said, with the receiver, pistol grip and trigger group, that's 5 parts. Therefore there is at least one more US part that I have not identified. I need to know what it is because if there are only 6 US parts on the rifle and I put the Bakelite grip on, I will need to add another US part to be compliant. If there's more than 6 US, then I can add the Bakelite grip with no problem but would still like to know.

Does anyone know what US parts were used on the Lancaster Romy Gs to make them compliant?  Are there any tricks to identifying if the gas piston, barrel or brake are US made or not?  Any chance the wood furniture is US made?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I'm concerned you have a US-made rifle and should do with it as you please. But. I'm not the ATF.

922r is a colossal waste of time & money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As far as I'm concerned you have a US-made rifle and should do with it as you please. But. I'm not the ATF.

922r is a colossal waste of time & money.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If this really bothers you, & it shouldn't, just buy a US Tapco mag, which is 3 more US parts.  GARY
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I've read a number of comments and debates and have chosen to side with the interpretation that 922 is for the importer and seller, not the end user.  My rifle reflects that interpretation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]
My Lancaster came with a USA made Pro-mag, So 3 parts there and a USA stock set.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Usually the USA made magazine is the final parts count.  So that's probably what it was when your gun was built.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All USA parts will be plainly marked.

Simple as that.
View Quote

What He said. If you care about 922r the only way to ID US parts is if they are marked US. Or if you have receipts for anything unmarked.

In your case, I'd go ahead and change the grip and would keep a US made mag on hand at all times. Magazines are detachable, and placing one in a rifle, does not manufacture a rifle. Law doesn't specify that a mag needs to be in a rifle. You're also not prohibited from owning as many mags as you like -- know what I mean.

As long as you have 6 US made parts with you and your stick at all times, you are golden.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#9]
in 07 you could still get original barrels with kits and were used often. my lancaster had a original barrel on a polish build i had done in 09. probably the last original barrel build to come from them. thank god lancaster is gone.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Chet typically used a floorplate and/or follower for 1 or 2 of the US parts (when he bothered at all).  If it's got a different magazine now, assume it does not have 6.

Again, as mentioned above, the law applies to manufactures.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top