Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/5/2016 12:14:15 PM EDT
my friend has a Norinco Mak90 for sale. It was unfired until he put 100 rounds through it a month or two ago. It is the neutered version with the thumbhole stock and no muzzle break or threads. Pretty sure it is the stamped receiver.

I can get it for <snip> you want to know value, use the tacked thread. I will edit instead of locking thread. dryflash3 plus the little bit of snowplowing ive done for him a couple days ago.

Heres my dilemma -

I dont love it in its current configuration.

I would Immediately have to order an Ironwood stock set ( or something similar ) and swap that out, probably do a Tapco G2 trigger ( yes, I want to make it 922r compliant just to be on the safe side and never have to worry )  get the muzzle threaded for some sort of break, most likely a slant break.  I would probably have $800 total into the rifle when im done.

Or, I can just spend a little more, and get a Arsenal SLR107  ( if I can even find one used ) and not have to jump through hoops, do all the modifications, and itll have a side folder.

Which of the two would be the higher quality gun, and what would YOU do ?

Which would

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:17:23 PM EDT
[#1]
get the mak and modify.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
get the mak and modify.
View Quote

+1, There great AK's
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
get the mak and modify.
View Quote
I would buy the MAK. Get an Ironwoods US made buttstock, pistol grip, & Tapco US mag. That's 5 US parts which is all that's necessary for 922, & you get to keep the EXCELLENT Chinese FCG. If you look at photo's of Chinese soldiers in China with real military AK's, the muzzle will be unthread just like on your MAK. The muzzles were only threaded for guns exported to some other countries, so if you want your gun to look authentic, you don't have to waste money threading the barrel. GARY
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/73/Syrian_soldier_aims_an_AK-47.jpg
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, thanks for the advice.

I will get the Mak90, the Ironwood stock set. Ill keep the US magazine in mind, but out of pure paranoia I may still change the trigger group. for $30 in tapco parts i dont have to worry as much about a officer who doesnt quite know the law, or having the wrong magazine with me.

I guess I just love the look of a slant muzzle break. Do you have to drill and put a retainer pin in the front sight base, or could some red locktite do the trick to keep it in place ?

do all Mak90s have a chrome lined bore ?

Sorry for all the questions.

And Ill probably still end up buying an Arsenal later this year
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you look at photo's of Chinese soldiers in China with real military AK's, the muzzle will be unthread just like on your MAK. The muzzles were only threaded for guns exported to some other countries...
View Quote

Not always the case depending on the time period. As with things in the FAL world, anything is game when it comes to Chinese arms. But yes, the majority are not threaded. Also OP, if the receiver is not slant cut I would go with surplus wood, personally.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not always the case depending on the time period. As with things in the FAL world, anything is game when it comes to Chinese arms. But yes, the majority are not threaded. Also OP, if the receiver is not slant cut I would go with surplus wood, personally.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you look at photo's of Chinese soldiers in China with real military AK's, the muzzle will be unthread just like on your MAK. The muzzles were only threaded for guns exported to some other countries...

yeah I would prefer surplus wood but then im not 922r compliant, right ?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not always the case depending on the time period. As with things in the FAL world, anything is game when it comes to Chinese arms. But yes, the majority are not threaded.
View Quote
Enough reason for me to not waste $ changing the front site, & threading a barrel. My 3 MAK's are all "restored", & not threaded.  GARY
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
For years when kits with barrels were still imported, it was with the understanding that they could not be built into new guns that were not importable. They were imported with the understanding that the barrel could replace a worn, shot out barrel.  But that law was between the importer, & the ATF. So while the importer did not build guns from these kits, the importers sold these kits to other companies who DID build guns from these kits, as these companies had no arrangement with the ATF. The last few years Imbel receivers were imported into the US, they were for replacement only, meaning they could only be used for the replacement of broken receivers [like that would ever happen]. Again this arrangement was between the importer, & the ATF. But again, the importer sold the receivers to others who did build FAL's with these receivers because these builder had no arrangement with the ATF to not build new guns. So 922 really exists to allow guns, kits, or receivers to be imported with certain restrictions. But once the items are sold, the end user had no deal with anybody to follow these rules. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for having owned a MAK90 that didn't have US parts, but did have a pistol grip.  GARY
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive read numerous times that no private individual has ever been convicted of 922r compliance, I just cant afford to be the test case
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well you were already going to replace the FCG, so there's 3. Change the piston and use a US floor plate and you would be good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ive read numerous times that no private individual has ever been convicted of 922r compliance, I just cant afford to be the test case
View Quote
Here.  tinhat
Tinhats are people who believe ridiculous stories. They are low level paranoid people with no real understanding of science or research. The tinhat itself refers to the iconic foil hat worn by characters cowering from 'cosmic ray's, as portrayed in around a million hokey Hollywood films.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
get the MAK90
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here.  tinhat
Tinhats are people who believe ridiculous stories. They are low level paranoid people with no real understanding of science or research. The tinhat itself refers to the iconic foil hat worn by characters cowering from 'cosmic ray's, as portrayed in around a million hokey Hollywood films.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here.  tinhat

I've already admitted that I'm paranoid.
What's a good source for surplus stocks ?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:23:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like Im odd man out but I'd get the SLR and call it a day.  MAKs will be more collectable though.  Both are good choices
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:23:05 PM EDT
[#15]
For <snip> don't get this thread locked. dryflash3 the mak. Easy.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:52:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I was suppose to pick the Mak up today but our schedules didn't line up. I should have it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was suppose to pick the Mak up today but our schedules didn't line up. I should have it tomorrow.
View Quote

You know what to do when you get it! pic's or it didn't happen..........
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:37:37 AM EDT
[#18]
The only thing I don't like about the MAK90 you can't find a lot of aftermarket parts like stocks.  Well, let me preface that by saying I am referring the one with a milled receiver.  I don't like that I can't use Magpul's new stocks nor any stock adapters.  That is unless I modify it, which I don't want to do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm way passed biased on this topic.  Let me put it this way, I've never owned an Arsenal and never will.  Get the Mak 90 and de-ban it.  You don't need the add on crap, just make it look the way it was intended to look.  If you want to accessorize and make the thing look like an Ar15 dressed up like a ho at a party, get the Arsenal.  Chinese AK's were meant to be left alone.  :)

If you want to compare the Mak to the Arsenal and play the "just a bit more game"...well you can find a real Chinese pre-ban 56S or AKM76S for only a little more than the Arsenal, often the same price.  Again only if you intend to leave them as stock.  Someone that tacticools a Chinese AK should have their man license revoked...yeah, I'm old and opinionated.

Earl
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Any trustworthy or recommended sources for military surplus stocks ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:52:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think any of the old usual places have quantities anymore.  Now the best place is a trader board like here on arfcom or gunbroker.  Ironwood Designs will have nice US wood to use on them - which would also count as US parts of you are de-banning a MAK.

Quoted:
Any trustworthy or recommended sources for military surplus stocks ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#22]
The Arsenal 107F is (in my opinion), the best off-the shelf, fighting AK.

Chinese are unique to China.  If they are in original configuration and you want that, it's fine. They are more difficult to alter and a pain to "unban" particularly if you want to address the bayonet lug and cleaning rod holder.  So any post-ban, may get you pretty close to the price of a superior fighting rifle, by the time you finish a complete conversion.

If all you are going to do is swap furniture and FCG, then the Chinese is more economical.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an Ironwood designs stock set and a Tapco G2 trigger on the way.

I was looking for the best options of how to unban it and keep it 922r compliant. Why not spend a few more bucks and never have to worry about it?

I know the Mak90 trigger is nice, but, trigger slap drives me insane, so the G2 trigger it is.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#24]
[b]  I know the Mak90 trigger is nice, but, trigger slap drives me insane, so the G2 trigger it is.
View Quote

Why not just cut off the rest of the disconnector tail, as it's partial removal for import is what causes slap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:10:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

get the mak and modify.
View Quote

This

ALGs new AK trigger is very nice, I like it better than the Tapco.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't see whether the MAK was a straight cut receiver or slant cut?  I assume you know since you already ordered a stock set from Ironwood.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Its slant cut.

If it were straight cut I could have resolved this issue much cheaper for half the price

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#28]
MAK all the way every day, Chinese rifles will always be worth more than cheap and commonplace Bulgarian rifles. Pretty much a better rifle in every respect but furniture, and that's an easy and enjoyable fix.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#29]
My Tapco G2 trigger arrived yesterday.
I used my Dremel to buff / polish the hooks where it connects to the hammer and the front of the hammer that rides against the bottom of the bolt.
I've never personally replaced a AK style trigger, and I bent the shepherds hook a bit.
I bent it back as straight as possible and triple checked that it sat in the trigger pins correctly.
I even tried by hand to pound the trigger pins out with a punch and they didn't move.
The trigger is super light now, comparable to some of my AR15 triggers.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I used my Dremel to buff / polish the hooks where it connects to the hammer and the front of the hammer that rides against the bottom of the bolt.
I've never personally replaced a AK style trigger, and I bent the shepherds hook a bit.
I bent it back as straight as possible and triple checked that it sat in the trigger pins correctly.
I even tried by hand to pound the trigger pins out with a punch and they didn't move.
View Quote

You can get a retainer plate to replace the wire.  Easy to get in and zero chance of it coming out while shooting.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MAK all the way every day, Chinese rifles will always be worth more than cheap and commonplace Bulgarian rifles. Pretty much a better rifle in every respect but furniture, and that's an easy and enjoyable fix.
View Quote

If they were still available they would still be considered cheap junk compared to Bulgarian. Just look at how the Catamount Fury has been  treated,  and it's just basically a Norinco Saiga-12

Personally not a fan of Chinese AKs but that leaves more for the rest of you!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can get a retainer plate to replace the wire.  Easy to get in and zero chance of it coming out while shooting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked around at the gun show for something like that with no luck.
I'll just have to find one online and hope they don't charge 10 bucks to ship a $3 part lol
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

If they were still available they would still be considered cheap junk compared to Bulgarian. Just look at how the Catamount Fury has been  treated,  and it's just basically a Norinco Saiga-12

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have had many of both Bulgarian and Chinese and i have to disagree with you on that.

The Chinese are much better built rifles and a lot smoother imo.

Sure the Chinese do make some crappy guns,but AK's is not one of them.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top