Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/22/2016 8:28:37 PM EDT
Been hunting feral hogs on my farm with NVG's and IR Laser for several years....but with an AR platform. Always really wanted a modern "working" Kalashnikov, but most of the tacticool leaper crapco products leave a little to be desired.

Honestly, I'm an AK Purist to the soul....so i had a little apprehension when putting together "my" ultimate hog killing AK.
Can't wait to get her in the woods.

I hope you boys approve.....

Here's the meat and potato specs-
Arsenal SLR-104FR
Zenit Rail System
JMAC Stock adapter
Surefire M910
Laser Devices DBAL
Eotech 553

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I like, but where's the NV?

ETA:

oh and Zen and I will come help you. Seriously, we're looking into a hog lease.

I can't afford NV though

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:56:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Bad ass man that is awesome! Any way you can shoot me a weight of the gun? I am building a few rifles about the same style and have been woundering how the weight will be In the end...killer boom stick...
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like, but where's the NV?

ETA:

oh and Zen and I will come help you. Seriously, we're looking into a hog lease.

I can't afford NV though  
View Quote

NV is on the head.  Dual PVS14's.

We may able to get together this spring and shoot some piggies....

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bad ass man that is awesome! Any way you can shoot me a weight of the gun? I am building a few rifles about the same style and have been woundering how the weight will be In the end...killer boom stick...
View Quote

Bro, she's definitely not a skinny girl.  Weighs 11# loaded.  Didn't weigh it with just the rail though..... It's not retarded heavy, but definitely gotta put your big boy pants on to run it.....
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bro, she's definitely not a skinny girl.  Weighs 11# loaded.  Didn't weigh it with just the rail though..... It's not retarded heavy, but definitely gotta put your big boy pants on to run it.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks awesome! very "russian alpha'ish"...at 11lbs it probably recoils like a cap gun
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:34:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Does that railed top cover require that handguard for installation?
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 9:45:58 PM EDT
[#7]
<ironbar> Ahhhh, pig killer !!! <ironbar>
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice rifle.

I suspect that the number of pics that get posted on Arfcom with rifles that have Eotechs on them is going to go way down.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:02:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Man that looks awesome!
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice! Looks awesome I am working on getting the rail and top cover combo for my two dmr ak builds I am working on. Pretty much exactly your gun but with a 1-6 us optic on top... Nice ak... I tip my glass to you... You have good taste in weapons..
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:49:07 AM EDT
[#11]
First off, nice setup.  I assume that is a B-33 top cover mount and if so how do you like it compared to a side mount?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
First off, nice setup.  I assume that is a B-33 top cover mount and if so how do you like it compared to a side mount?
View Quote

Thanks!
The B33 top cover's price tag made me hesitant for sure....but I can't say enough good things about it!  I do prefer it over the side mount.
What sold me on it was watching those guys over at AK operators union drag an AK with the B33 top rail open 30mph on a gravel road and then closing it and shooting; and the optic still held zero.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice rifle.

I suspect that the number of pics that get posted on Arfcom with rifles that have Eotechs on them is going to go way down.
View Quote

I absolutely loved my Eotech; i almost shed a tear when I sent it back. Nothing else on the market appeals to me as much.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Man, after running the rifle a while; I decided to swap out some kit to try to lighten up the rifle but keep it equipped for NV hunting.  Finally, I think it's a win!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Forget the rifle, I want the helmet and pvs-14's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

looks awesome! very "russian alpha'ish"...at 11lbs it probably recoils like a cap gun
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came to post this.  Looks like an alpha clone, just needs paint.

ETA:  my 7.62 "Working Rifle", closer to the "purists desires" while still modern.  The Surefire could be swapped with an IR designator for NV work(too poor for NV).  Right now it has surplus E German night sights for low light use, but I do have a TRS-25 laying around...

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:01:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Damn, Nostra.  Thats a nice blaster. I'm in the process of modernizing a couple of my AKM's and that Zenitco stuff is looking better every time I see it on a rifle... but I'm having a hell of a time sourcing it (B-30 in particular).  Where did you order/find it, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Did something similar myself with my last build....M2 is temporary til I can a TRS-25 on it. Since this pic I added a magpul AK pistol grip.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Did something similar myself with my last build....M2 is temporary til I can a TRS-25 on it. Since this pic I added a magpul AK pistol grip.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/56type/Magpul%20AKM_zpsylabumrl.jpg
View Quote

I like those Archangel stocks.  I bought one 6 months ago but have yet to install it on a rifle, still trying to decide which rifle gets it.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I like those Archangel stocks.  I bought one 6 months ago but have yet to install it on a rifle, still trying to decide which rifle gets it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/56type/Magpul%20AKM_zpsylabumrl.jpg

Same here. It was a toss-up between the Archangel and the magpul MOE stock but I much prefer the integral cheekpiece riser. I might convert a chinese I have that's currently wearing a quadrail over to this same setup with the magpul PG and LHG with an Ultimak along with the Archangel stock.

BTW, the tang cutout on the Archangel looks long enough to work with the longer chinese stock tang, for those interested.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s307.photobucket.com/user/56type/media/Magpul%20AKM_zpsylabumrl.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn295/56type/Magpul%20AKM_zpsylabumrl.jpg</a>
View Quote

looks good!!
Love that tank too!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Put her to good use tonight!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Really nice rifle
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#24]
What's your opinion on 5.45 vs hogs?  I see your kills, ammo?  Multiple hits required?  Serious question.

<-------has 5.45
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#25]
NICE !!!  As asked above - how many shots did it take, what was the distance...
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
NICE !!!  As asked above - how many shots did it take, what was the distance...
View Quote

There's a myriad of debate between calibers.....especially between the 47 and 74.
So far, I have seen the 5.45 round to be very effective in practical application.
Shot placement is king though....as with ANY caliber.  
I've been using the 60gn Hornady Vmax, and it's produced some horrific tissue damage.

Oh, distances generally range from 75-250 yards.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:03:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Man, after running the rifle a while; I decided to swap out some kit to try to lighten up the rifle but keep it equipped for NV hunting.  Finally, I think it's a win!
<a href="http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Phillip51680/media/Mobile%20Uploads/53E43D95-F91D-4217-B0FE-4E6D6BA3A475_zpslfe0gs0w.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff447/Phillip51680/Mobile%20Uploads/53E43D95-F91D-4217-B0FE-4E6D6BA3A475_zpslfe0gs0w.jpg</a>
View Quote

I like it, especially with the mini-ACOG.
I've been wanting to do something similar for years, but I haven't been able to commit.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I've been wanting to do something similar for years, but I haven't been able to commit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/Phillip51680/media/Mobile%20Uploads/53E43D95-F91D-4217-B0FE-4E6D6BA3A475_zpslfe0gs0w.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff447/Phillip51680/Mobile%20Uploads/53E43D95-F91D-4217-B0FE-4E6D6BA3A475_zpslfe0gs0w.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice rifle!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks good................kinda reminds me of the mods that the Russkies did to bring the AK-74 up to modern standards
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks good................kinda reminds me of the mods that the Russkies did to bring the AK-74 up to modern standards
View Quote

they more or less copied a lot of Zenit/TWS stuff to get their current dust cover accessory rails.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Man, oh man, do I want to make a Texas trip for hogs.  I not sure jack rabbits are going to cut it anymore for my 74's after seeing those hogs.

How's that DBAL treating you?  I'm in the market and that was one I was looking at.  Battery life,  durability?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Man, oh man, do I want to make a Texas trip for hogs.  I not sure jack rabbits are going to cut it anymore for my 74's after seeing those hogs.

How's that DBAL treating you?  I'm in the market and that was one I was looking at.  Battery life,  durability?
View Quote

Thanks!
The DBAL has worked very well for me.  I have 3 of them.  They have been bomb proof and hold zero....I've beat the hell out of them.
My buddy has the civvy legal Peq-15, and its seems like a great piece of kit as well.

-Phil
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top