Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 9:47:51 AM EDT

Went to range with my SLR-107 and was shooting Golden Tiger 7.62. I keep getting light primer strike.  Another range session this time with Tula/Wolf ammo.  No light primer strike.  I used Golden Tiger ammo before with other AK with no problems.

So what the deal?  A bad batch of ammo? Or is the rifle? Or I need more testing?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#1]
GT has been one of the more favored brands for AK's.....curious if there was a weak lot that got distributed.

I've got a few cases of it myself.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Sam form SGammo stated that several folks were having light primer strikes with GT using Arsenal rifles due to hardened primers.

If you have another firearm in 7.62x39 try those rounds that have light strikes and see if they fire,if they do then its the Arsenal.

My guess is it has something to do with the firing pin or the firing pin springs tension not being strong enough to hit the hardened primers.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
sam from SGammo
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the mis-fire problem you refer to is typically related to a light strike on the primer. The "arsenal" brand AKs seem to be having this problem often with the russian mil-spec primer used in GT, much more than any other AK rifle in the market, its always been a problem with AR15 conversions and Mini-30 rifles and from time to time we hear about it in other models. I have had some reports of this recently but all in all its not more than we have seen over history if you consider the number of reports to the number of cases sold. Its just more at once because there was no GT for a year then we unloaded 10,000,000 rounds into the market within a few months causing more people using it at once and more issues being reported at once. Regardless I have discussed the topic with the importer several times in the last month and they had the factory use up the 'test stock' they saved from the last 3 shipments and the said the test stock from all recent lots functioned 100% at the factory. I believe the more and more commercial firearms we are seeing in the market that there there will be more and more issues like this reported as not all the guns are built to Russian military specifications and they might not strike the primer hard enough to fire 100%
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
the mis-fire problem you refer to is typically related to a light strike on the primer. The "arsenal" brand AKs seem to be having this problem often with the russian mil-spec primer used in GT, much more than any other AK rifle in the market, its always been a problem with AR15 conversions and Mini-30 rifles and from time to time we hear about it in other models. I have had some reports of this recently but all in all its not more than we have seen over history if you consider the number of reports to the number of cases sold. Its just more at once because there was no GT for a year then we unloaded 10,000,000 rounds into the market within a few months causing more people using it at once and more issues being reported at once. Regardless I have discussed the topic with the importer several times in the last month and they had the factory use up the 'test stock' they saved from the last 3 shipments and the said the test stock from all recent lots functioned 100% at the factory. I believe the more and more commercial firearms we are seeing in the market that there there will be more and more issues like this reported as not all the guns are built to Russian military specifications and they might not strike the primer hard enough to fire 100%

Quoted:
Sam form SGammo stated that several folks were having light primer strikes with GT using Arsenal rifles due to hardened primers.

If you have another firearm in 7.62x39 try those rounds that have light strikes and see if they fire,if they do then its the Arsenal.

My guess is it has something to do with the firing pin or the firing pin springs tension not being strong enough to hit the hardened primers.

is there a easy fix?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
sam from SGammo

is there a easy fix?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
sam from SGammo
Quoted:

Quoted:

is there a easy fix?

Only thing I can think of would be a stronger hammer spring to cause the hammer to smack the FP harder or reduce the spring (do Arsenals have a FP spring ??) tension so that the FP gets hit harder, maybe removing a coil or two from the spring would work ??
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't ever had light strikes with an AK.
It almost has to be the hammer spring, short pin, or too much head space.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I shoot GT in my SIG 556R. Although not an AK, the bolt and carrier are very AK-like, except the firing pin has a return spring. So, the hammer spring on it is tremendously strong  to ensure hard strikes. No misfires so far. I also shoot it in my AMD65 with standard hammer spring and it always fires.
I'd say you need a new hammer spring and a general going-over to make sure everything is working as-designed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Firing pin springs are not commonly found on most Kalashnikov variants. I have seen them, but I am pretty sure the SLR-107 has a free floating firing pin.

The three things that immediately pop into my mind:
1. Hard primers.
2. Depth that the primers are seated.
3. Weak hammer spring.

If you fire other ammo just fine then the ammo is the most probable candidate. I had some Yugo 8mm that would get light firing pin strikes unless using my Yugo M48. I shot it in a VZ 98/22 and K98 and both of them shot everything else with nice hard strikes. Hard primers make sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Firing pin springs are not commonly found on most Kalashnikov variants. I have seen them, but I am pretty sure the SLR-107 has a free floating firing pin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

QFT. Vepr's are the only one I know of being currently produced with a spring-loaded firing pin (yet another of many reasons why it is superior to touted rifles costing much more, not surprised at all to hear of yet another issue with Arsenal rifles). Some old chicoms used to have spring-loaded pins too.

One thing I can think of that may have some bearing, most hammers on AK's do not contact the firing pin/bolt squarely, they are angled and hit mostly the top part. On all my triggerjobs on my rifles this is one of the things I fix, I square it up so it makes full contact, it's good policy to do this even if it turns out not to be the problem. If you do this, keep in mind that you are reducing the height of the hammerface where the carrier rides over it to re-set the trigger, and you might have an issue with the disconnector not catching the hammer when you hold the trigger, all that's needed is to lower the hammer shelf a bit to compensate, Gunplumber details how to do this in numerous posts and in his book, it's really very simple.

As far as a stronger hammerspring, Cannon Spring makes an AK hammerspring that's excellent and is most definitely stronger than factory springs though they don't advertise it as such.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1. Hard primers.
3. Weak hammer spring.

If you fire other ammo just fine then the ammo is the most probable candidate. I had some Yugo 8mm that would get light firing pin strikes unless using my Yugo M48. I shot it in a VZ 98/22 and K98 and both of them shot everything else with nice hard strikes. Hard primers make sense to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1. Hard primers.
3. Weak hammer spring.

Arsenal's current models including the 107's DO HAVE spring loaded firing pins.

Very easy to tell by looking at the tail end of the bolt. Most AK's started using them more less as a safety concern against slam fires.(lawsuit reasons mainly)

Look at the last of the Polytech AK's imported in late 1989,the later ones all had spring loaded firing pins including the Mak 90's.Arsenal has them as well.

I know you can convert a spring loaded firing pin bolt over to a FF pin on a Chinese,not sure on an Arsenal,i may have to try that and see if it works on my 107UR

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#10]
My 104UR doesn't have a spring loaded firing pin.  Never had any issues with the GT 5.45 ammo I have on hand.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

As said above, all SLR-107s have spring loaded firing pins.  The spring does not have much tension, but would reduce the force of the hammer a bit on the primer.  I have shot some GT in my 107 and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:19:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I have two SLR 107's.  I've not shot GT, but I have shot the white box Wolf stuff that has been going around and had the same issue on 1 gun, not the other.

I disassembled and cleaned the firing pin on the one gun and it got better, but still happens from time to time.  Wolf isn't my goto ammo, so its just a 1 in 100 FTF drill.

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Take a pencil -- Ticonderoga No. 2 -- and put it down the bore so the erasure sits down on the bolt face (firing pin hole).  Point the rifle at the ceiling and pull the trigger.  If the pencil doesn't hit your ceiling, it's the gun.

p.s. Of course, firearm should be cleared and empty of ammunition before conducting this test.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Take a pencil -- Ticonderoga No. 2 -- and put it down the bore so the erasure sits down on the bolt face (firing pin hole).  Point the rifle at the ceiling and pull the trigger.  If the pencil doesn't hit your ceiling, it's the gun.

p.s. Of course, firearm should be cleared and empty of ammunition before conducting this test.
View Quote

Whoa! I'm gonna try this just because it sounds fun, wonder if I can kill flies like this? May have just discovered a new summer pasttime.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Arsenal's current models including the 107's DO HAVE spring loaded firing pins.

Very easy to tell by looking at the tail end of the bolt. Most AK's started using them more less as a safety concern against slam fires.(lawsuit reasons mainly)

Look at the last of the Polytech AK's imported in late 1989,the later ones all had spring loaded firing pins including the Mak 90's.Arsenal has them as well.
View Quote

Interesting. Adding the spring makes sense. I always thought it was a worthwhile upgrade.
Still I wouldn't assume any Kalashnikov has one until I looked. Most of mine are FF.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Whoa! I'm gonna try this just because it sounds fun, wonder if I can kill flies like this? May have just discovered a new summer pasttime.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/3/2015 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#17]
My firing pin in my bolt will fall from gravity in the bolt back and forth.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My firing pin in my bolt will fall from gravity in the bolt back and forth.
View Quote

Then your firing pin is not spring loaded.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:45:01 AM EDT
[#19]
My SA-M7 has a firing pin spring. Have issues with GT ammo. Light primer strikes. Fires on 2nd strike. No issues with Tula/Wolf.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top