Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2015 4:23:27 PM EDT
Hey there,

Finally got my stamp to SBR my SLR-104UR.  I never shot the rifle while it was equipped with the 16" barrel.
Did the barrel work myself; but I think it turned out great.
Anyways, shot the rifle @50yds with Academy Monarch 60gn fmj's.  I'm running a Trijicon RMR with a 6.5moa dot, so pin point aiming wasn't the best.
All and all, each 5 shot group measures 2"-3."
All were shot off a range bag.

What are your thoughts of the grouping?  Acceptable? Average??  Personally, I'm satisfied with the performance.....
Sorry guys, but my OCD kicks into overdrive at times.

Here's a few pics of my pride and joy, the rifle, barrel work, and a random grouping.
Thanks boys!

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Now I don't recall what the twist rate is on all of the 16" 104UR, but I recall hearing about some issues with some 104UR barrels having the wrong rate for a 8.5" bbl. Keyholing was the primary concern, not overall accuracy. Doesn't look like you have any keyholing issues at all. How does it perform with 53gr?

Personally I would be satisfied with that grouping at 50yd from iron sights on the UR, but I would try with a smaller dot if you have one available. I think it would do better at 50yd if you could get a 2-3moa dot.

Did you use a crown tool? It looks a lot like some of the machine screw crowns I've seen done. It does look more than good enough for what it is.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now I don't recall what the twist rate is on all of the 16" 104UR, but I recall hearing about some issues with some 104UR barrels having the wrong rate for a 8.5" bbl. Keyholing was the primary concern, not overall accuracy. Doesn't look like you have any keyholing issues at all. How does it perform with 53gr?

Personally I would be satisfied with that grouping at 50yd from iron sights on the UR, but I would try with a smaller dot if you have one available. I think it would do better at 50yd if you could get a 2-3moa dot.

Did you use a crown tool? It looks a lot like some of the machine screw crowns I've seen done. It does look more than good enough for what it is.
View Quote

Thanks,
My daughter and I put a couple hundred rounds through the gun, and haven't seen any sign of keyholes.
I'm curious as well what it will do with 7N6.  
I crowned the muzzle with a Brass Machine Screw.... I had a Brownells lapping tool as well, but believe it or not; I think the brass screw works better.

I too believe the 6.5moa dot is the bottleneck.....at 50yds, the dot covers the entire black bullseye.  But, that RMR was the only one I had, and at >$500 a pop, I'm really hoping to make it work!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:45:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Nostra, just out of curiosity when did you file for your stamp? I have one coming up very soon as well for my UR and im just trying to gauge. Also I agree that its the dots fault and not the gun. Your bullets are stabalizing so I would call it a win!

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nostra, just out of curiosity when did you file for your stamp? I have one coming up very soon as well for my UR and im just trying to gauge. Also I agree that its the dots fault and not the gun. Your bullets are stabalizing so I would call it a win!

Thanks
View Quote

Thanks!
I don't recall exactly what date I received approval.  I do know it was my first Efile, and it took just a hair over 90 looong days to get my approval.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine shoots the same.  I've only used the iron sights and struggled a bit since the short sight radius makes the front sight post look massive. But I am satisfied with how it shoots.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Still cracks me up that people bring up the barrel twist on the 104's still. OP, group looks good for the optic you were using.  As another guy said I'd expect a little better with a smaller dot, but rifle looks like its doing its part considering a 6MOA point.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Your groups look average for similar set-ups that I've seen (Chopped 104UR's).  No keyholing, so I wouldn't worry.  Try irons, and definitely test different types of ammo to see what yours does best with.  

What mount are you using for your RMR?  It sure looks good!  And good job too with the barrel work.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Aksu rifles never were the most accurate, that's one reason why the Russians abandoned the design in favor of the 105. Group looks about par the course in my experience with them. They still are fantastic cqb guns.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks!

I milled the mount myself from a stormwerks donor mount.  
Very low, and works well though.

I shot it again this weekend, and had much more pleasing results.
I believe I had the gun in a better resting position for 50yd shooting.
Here's the two targets.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top