Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There have been lots of companies building kits that had issues and never asked for guns back. I remember seeing Century's first milled aKs and they had issues with heat treating sheetmetal parts, but never asked for guns back. Those turds are still out there. It seems most thought that maybe most customers won't notice and that most take more pictures than shots and it will never truly matter. Proper respect to PSA for exercising personal accountability. I would like to have one of their AKs, but lack of extra money has kept me from doing so. By the time I have money for something like that they should have things in order. Press forward PSA!
View Quote

This.

Let's not forget that these have been on the market for, what, a few weeks? PSA doesn't have a government benefactor dumping money into them like like most AK arsenals did; there will be teething issues. Sucks for early adopters, but despite all the complaints from owners I have yet to see a case where PSA told an owner to "pound sand."
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This.

Let's not forget that these have been on the market for, what, a few weeks? PSA doesn't have a government benefactor dumping money into them like like most AK arsenals did; there will be teething issues. Sucks for early adopters, but despite all the complaints from owners I have yet to see a case where PSA told an owner to "pound sand."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There have been lots of companies building kits that had issues and never asked for guns back. I remember seeing Century's first milled aKs and they had issues with heat treating sheetmetal parts, but never asked for guns back. Those turds are still out there. It seems most thought that maybe most customers won't notice and that most take more pictures than shots and it will never truly matter. Proper respect to PSA for exercising personal accountability. I would like to have one of their AKs, but lack of extra money has kept me from doing so. By the time I have money for something like that they should have things in order. Press forward PSA!

This.

I've gotta say I agree.  I emailed PSA and stated I was concerned because my PSAK had a small gap on one side.  Later that day I confirmed it was a very small gap and the rest of the rear sight base appeared GTG.  Today PSA emailed that I would receive an RMA soon for a warranty repair.  I felt like a putz and replied that I was fine with the rifle and would shoot it and contact them if I had a problem.  They do seem to be trying very hard to get on top of this.  I should be getting to the range Monday and will post up my findings.

Honestly, my rifle looks good, all mags lock up tight, and the bolt is really smooth.  I'm not going to worry anymore until I have something to worry about.  All you guys with real issues, PSA appears to be taking care of everyone, so hold tight.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Lotta drama and sky is falling in here.

AKs get used in combat that were hammered together by paki kids. Yall are gonna be fine. If you want 1000 dollar AK fit and finish, buy a 1000 dollar AK. If you want 250 dollar AK fit and finish, buy that. If you want something in the middle, buy that.

Its almost like you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#4]
You're not so crazy, Crazy White Guy  To me, a $1k AK is like a $5 cup of coffee.  They were designed to be cheap as hell, with the exception of Valmets and off shoots like Galils and R1s, and made to be used by illiterate conscripts.  Soviet doctrine was massed troops and massed fire.  IMHO, the tactical AKs and boutique guns miss the point.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like amateur-hour at PSA...all over again
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

who woulda thunk?

people buy garbage from a garbage company and people are surprised when it turns out to be garbage.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

who woulda thunk?

people buy garbage from a garbage company and people are surprised when it turns out to be garbage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

who woulda thunk?

Not a PSA defender. They aren't a garbage company though. They will make things right. Sure its a bit of a circus for the moment but Id be very surprised if anyone isn't taken care of to their full satisfaction. I've got several Premium ARs from them and they are as good as my BCMs in my opinion and a cut above at least one Colt I had. Hopefully they will get it ironed out and get in gear.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed, PSA is not a shyster outfit like IO. I'm confident they'll sort these issues out and improve the product.  Looking forward to picking up version 1.1 or 2.0.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#9]
An update to this original post today, I received an email from PSA this morning:

I would like to thank you for returning your AK47 to us for inspection.  Please accept this 10% discount coupon to make up for any inconvenience this might have caused you.
Coupon Code:

Leonie Hasell
Customer Service Manager
Palmetto State Armory | 211 Business Park Blvd, Columbia, SC  29210
Phone: 803.724.6931 |  Email:[email protected]
Web: www.palmettostatearmory.com
PSA email logo
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#10]
See PSA has BLEM PSAK47 GEN2 AK BARRELED RECEIVER 7.62X39 with sling loop for $259.99. Mine don't have the sling loop and the bayo lug is oversize, I can fix that. Will carefully file the bayo lug down to match one on my other AK. and perhaps install a clamp on sling loop on the handguard. I think the rest of it is OK.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For those of us who aren't familiar with the AK, what's the failure we are seeing in the photos?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those of us who aren't familiar with the AK, what's the failure we are seeing in the photos?

Look at the arrows (or, rather, where they're pointing) on the photograph. The rear sight block isn't centered in the trunnion; it's pushed all the way to the right.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Another update to the thread:

Got the gun back today, I did not even know they shipped it. It's late and will post specifics.

They did not replace the rear sight block, I marked mine and the returned gun had the same mark.
They straitened the rear sight block and is now not cock eyed. The block is now centered in the front trunnion.
The barrel pin is now centered in the Trunnnion evenly.

PSA threw in some additional freebie's in the box.

Will post pics tomorrow.

Please let me restate this thread was not a bitch about PSA thread, but for information about PSA's recall, what the recall was all about.
And what was the fix. Originally I did not even really inspect my receiver, it went right to the safe. I had too many customer guns to work
on and no time for my own projects. This was fine since I had other parts on order to finish this project out. I only learned about the recall after PSA
informed me about it. Since I run a couple websites and am firearms media I wrote about it and shared the information.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Got the gun back today, I did not even know they shipped it. It's late and will post specifics.

They did not replace the rear sight block, I marked mine and the returned gun had the same mark.
They straitened the rear sight block and is now not cock eyed. The block is now centered in the front trunnion.

Will post pics tomorrow.

Please let me restate this thread was not a bitch about PSA thread, but for information about PSA's recall, what the recall was all about.
And what was the fix. Originally I did not even really inspect my receiver, it went right to the safe. I had too many customer guns to work
on and no time for my own projects. This was fine since I had other parts on order to finish this project out. I only learned about the recall after PSA
informed me about it. Since I run a couple websites and am firearms media I wrote about it and shared the information.
View Quote

You are not alone. I stopped getting things for myself altogether because I have no time to do anything to them or enjoy them.

I think many here are missing the point. PSA at least cares about what they are producing. Now we have learned that they (or whoever is doing it for them) at least knows how to fix the issues.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Will post pics tomorrow.

View Quote

Can you tell if they moved the front sight base too? Let us know where the front sight drum ends up. A previous poster said something about the whole bbl assembly possibly shifting when it was pinned. Curious to know if the FSB winds up being canted.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#16]
i invite everyone to check the front trunnion rivet on the right side. Mine pushes up against the barrel. In other words the barrel was used as a bucking bar for the rivet. This is starting to look like a rebranded I.O. I sent an email asking for a refund. We'll see what happens. If its overgassed, then its a definite I.O. rebrand. The shame is I really like the receiver but considering how everything else looks, i'm not sure if I trust that either.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i invite everyone to check the front trunnion rivet on the right side. Mine pushes up against the barrel. In other words the barrel was used as a bucking bar for the rivet. This is starting to look like a rebranded I.O. I sent an email asking for a refund. We'll see what happens. If its overgassed, then its a definite I.O. rebrand. The shame is I really like the receiver but considering how everything else looks, i'm not sure if I trust that either.
View Quote

Did you pull your barrel to find this? Even if you did, it doesn't necessarily mean they did that. Depending on the jig they use, it could very well look like they used the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]
You can't see the front rivet so I don't know how you would make that determination. The rear top rivet, yes you can see it from the rear. If it is squashed lightly it can appear to contact the barrel.

If it were an IO rebrand, the PSA receiver would not function correctly without a recoil buffer - the newer IO builds will allow the carrier to jump the rails without the buffer, and are also overgassed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If it were an IO rebrand, the PSA receiver would not function correctly without a recoil buffer - the newer IO builds will allow the carrier to jump the rails without the buffer...
View Quote

Reports are coming out that IO fixed this by updating their bolt carrier. So it could still be possible that these include those updates. But I don't think they are.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#20]
"Hey Palmetto State Armory is showing a completely USA made AKM at their booth ( this sample has non US furniture ) - I know the guys that are making the parts for this and the quality is tops; parts are coming from a shop that has made parts for belt fed weapons for years. I'm looking forward to what else can be done in the AK series here in the USA - great things ahead !!!"

- Larry Vickers
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Reports are coming out that IO fixed this by updating their bolt carrier. So it could still be possible that these include those updates. But I don't think they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it were an IO rebrand, the PSA receiver would not function correctly without a recoil buffer - the newer IO builds will allow the carrier to jump the rails without the buffer...

The PSA gun isn't an IO rebrand. The receivers are different for sure. IO also uses a larger magazine release. I've also seen at least a few PSA guns that had prominently dimpled lower rivet holes for the front trunnion. I'm not sure where each company sources their cast parts, but the rifles aren't the same.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#23]
PSA has already come out and said they're not sourcing parts from IO. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
PSA has already come out and said they're not sourcing parts from IO. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up.
View Quote

Yeah it beats me. There are plenty of differences between the two.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Sigh. This is a pretty minor issue.

Yeah a canted RSB looks like hell because it requires the FSB and gas block to also be canted, but it's going to function fine, and I'm betting it DOES function fine.

Surprised that PSA wanted to correct this because it's a pretty common cosmetic issue... but also one that I would be darn happy to have corrected.

You can't see the front rivets without pulling the barrel, so claiming the barrel was used as a bucking bar is just a WAG.  

Even if they ARE touching the barrel it still doesn't mean the barrel was used as a bucking bar.

Link Posted: 10/15/2015 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#26]
You can see the top rear rivet in the right side of the front trunion without pulling the barrel. One could get a decent idea of how it was installed by how it looks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top