BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2015 6:56:09 AM EDT
Ok they are not calling it a recall, but are asking for guns back, so its a recall. This is my gun.

http://www.tacti-cool.com/industry-news/2015/10/8/palmetto-state-armory-issues-psak47-recall

To clarify this is not my gun, this is the picture that PSA wanted me to send back to them. They sent this picture as an example of what they wanted to see on my particular gun. The second picture is my rifle with the bent rear sight block.
Also to clarify for me this is not a complain my AK sucks post. This is an information post for others that have a PSAK47 to know there is a recall and what to look for.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#1]
big surprise here.Hopefully they make everyone who bought one of those things whole.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Saw this one coming a mile away......
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw this one coming a mile away......
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
For those of us who aren't familiar with the AK, what's the failure we are seeing in the photos?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:16:32 AM EDT
[#5]
the front is falling off

(the rear sight is crooked; bad jig/pin job)
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has the gap on the left side, but the sight doesn't appear crooked.  I hadn't even noticed.  I've also been in contact with PSA CS for a parts issue and heard nothing of this.  I posted this in the Industry Forum for a response.  If it goes back, It'll have to be the whole rifle as it's already built.  At this point, they also better fully test everything and throw us affected a bone of some sort, instead of just the sausage
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Where do they get their parts kits from?

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where do they get their parts kits from?

View Quote

It's all new production stuff that they have made for them. They haven't disclosed who makes the parts. But they aren't your typical ak parts kits.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:03:01 AM EDT
[#9]
There have been lots of companies building kits that had issues and never asked for guns back. I remember seeing Century's first milled aKs and they had issues with heat treating sheetmetal parts, but never asked for guns back. Those turds are still out there. It seems most thought that maybe most customers won't notice and that most take more pictures than shots and it will never truly matter. Proper respect to PSA for exercising personal accountability. I would like to have one of their AKs, but lack of extra money has kept me from doing so. By the time I have money for something like that they should have things in order. Press forward PSA!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Those are just sand channels.  Perfectly normal.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:36:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Holy crap, this just keeps getting better and better.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Guess Ak's are harder to make than people thought
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Guess Ak's are harder to make than people thought
View Quote
<  >GD comment removed. dryflash3
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I called PSA and was told to wait 48 hrs. while they figured things out.  Sound familiar?  That's what they were telling folks with missing parts as well.

The AK was designed to be made in any 3rd world country in a converted shovel factory.  It shouldn't be this hard.  I think somebody else is building these things for PSA and that outfit oversold their product.  I've seen that before.  Kind of like the handyman who says "sure, I can lay tile", because he's walked on it before and figures how hard could it be?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The AK was designed to be made in any 3rd world country in a converted shovel factory.  It shouldn't be this hard.  I think somebody else is building these things for PSA and that outfit oversold their product.  I've seen that before.  Kind of like the handyman who says "sure, I can lay tile", because he's walked on it before and figures how hard could it be?
View Quote

Sounds like waffen werks
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#16]
PSA addressed it on their industry forum and called it "cosmetic".

As this was a cosmetic item, and only affected a small part of production, In the interest of customer service we were pro-actively contacting customers who may have been affected. Please contact customer service directly if you have any questions about your purchase.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/270693_PSAK_47_Recall_.html&page=1&anc=2761438#i2761438

I asked in the thread for a serial number range. I'm not really buying the cosmetic part.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Who ever is making these parts kits is doing a good job, because the quality potential is there. But this was really an assembly issue. And yes PSA is making things right and fixing the guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I was was told that they will make it right and show something in for my trouble. I did not want to hold PSA to that because I don't know the conversations they have had with other people.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like waffen werks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like waffen werks

It's not easy. It requires honest-to-god production machinists. Their labor is hard to come by, and we don't have command economics to rely upon for our supply. That's why all the new production AKs have problems. Until someone tools up to CNC all the parts, we're going to have problems. There's no way around this problem. You can't make machined parts for cheap. No, you can't cast the parts either. It wasn't designed that way.

Assembly is a bit of a challenge, too. Competent armorers are needed, and it's a steep learning curve.

These days ARs are cheaper to make because the automation is already established onshore. One day AKs will get there, and they'll be the best AKs ever made. But we aren't there yet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Junk, why not just buy a tried and proven commie built AK?

Cast trunnions, terrible head spacing issues,and now this Sorry, i just dont get the reasoning to buy an AK rifle that is made in the US.

Yeah, i get buy American,but most of these cast parts are sourced from China.You get what you pay for.

Buy a WASR for $500 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Cast trunnions, terrible head spacing issues,and now this Sorry, i just dont get the reasoning to buy an AK rifle that is made in the US.

Yeah, i get buy American,but most of these cast parts are sourced from China.You get what you pay for.

View Quote

I think this is the route I'll take.  No reason to chance it when you are only saving  $50-100 with PSA.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#22]
PSA is recalling beause the rear sight base is crooked? Quality control may be horrendous but their support is pretty damn good. 99% sure that if the front sight can be drifted to zero that the rifle in the above pics is in spec as far as the sights are concerned. Can't comment on whether the trunion will explode and destroy your world or not, but I wouldn't worry 'bout it. When you hold the rifle you level out the sight. Being crooked doesn't matter the sights will still be in line with the bore.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
PSA is recalling beause the rear sight base is crooked? Quality control may be horrendous but their support is pretty damn good. 99% sure that if the front sight can be drifted to zero that the rifle in the above pics is in spec as far as the sights are concerned. Can't comment on whether the trunion will explode and destroy your world or not, but I wouldn't worry 'bout it. When you hold the rifle you level out the sight. Being crooked doesn't matter the sights will still be in line with the bore.
View Quote

A heavily crooked RSB can cause more problems than just having to worry about adjusting your front sight. Positioning and proper setting of the RSB sets the fitment of many other parts.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Glad I didn't pull the trigger to get one of these - ordered the DDI instead. Whew!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Not surprisingly they locked the recall thread in their industry forum.

The issue is cosmetic. The barrel is headspaced and securely pinned. Please do not post misleading and incorrect information in the forum.

Sorry PSA those rivets were not put there for cosmetic reasons, they are there for a purpose and you messed it up.  

I'm thinking PSA knows Jack & Shit about building AKs.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#26]

It could have shifted as they drilled the hole for the pin. I ran into this when I did them.  The parts kits I used were so inconsistent that the barrels would slip into some trunions and not press into others.

Century had some beefy presses with fingers that would reach into the trunion to press the rivet. Im not sure what their setup looks like.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not surprisingly they locked the recall thread in their industry forum.

The issue is cosmetic. The barrel is headspaced and securely pinned. Please do not post misleading and incorrect information in the forum.

Sorry PSA those rivets were not put there for cosmetic reasons, they are there for a purpose and you messed it up.  

I'm thinking PSA knows Jack & Shit about building AKs.

View Quote

I'm not seeing anything there to suggest that the headspace is incorrect, nor anything about the rivets other than they don't look that nice. What I can see is that the RSB is pressed too far to the rear which goes past the front trunnion ears and that the RSB isn't centered between the front trunnion ears.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 5:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
PSA needs to hire some old Russian ladies to come show them how to properly assemble an AK.

A lot of the pics I see of AK factories have a bunch of women doing the assembly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A heavily crooked RSB can cause more problems than just having to worry about adjusting your front sight. Positioning and proper setting of the RSB sets the fitment of many other parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's OK as long as it fits. The gas block positioning is far more important in terms of function. Now if the rear sight base is to far/ or not far enouogh into the trunion there may be a problem with some parts fitment. In the op's pic, I can tell if the fore/aft positioning is way off or not. It is pretty banked to the right, but I've got bulgy 74 that is full retard to one side of the trunion. It works fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:28:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I did this so I wouldn't be chasing problems - now I'm dealing with bad mag catch height and/or a single-stack bolt issue.

I think I can handle those though - just sayin', it ain't all gravy.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Have they submitted an official comment on this?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I did this so I wouldn't be chasing problems - now I'm dealing with bad mag catch height and/or a single-stack bolt issue.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be an old WASR if you're dealing with a single-stack bolt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOS 2013
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:48:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

NOS 2013
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

NOS 2013

Where'd you get it from?  The new 2014 WASRs are legit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#37]
OK. Me and my minions just checked my PSA it passes my QC. Looks similar to OP's pics. Gas tube needed shortening to fit - it fits. Rear sight base canted to right, but Gas block and front sight line up fine with it. When you aim rifle sights look fine -- nothing is noticeably crooked. Checked a bunch of other AKs -- the only ones that were straight centered were a 223 Saiga and a Hungarian AKM63. There was no room for any cant, the trunions and rear sight bases mate flush -- not possible to cant the rear sight base. Checked HS on the PSA -- Go gauge will chamber. Field will not. Op's barrel pin pics definitely look crooked -- good reason for a send back. PSA gets an "F" for letting that out. And if they somehow screwed up the rear sight base while pressing in the barrel pin, "F-"and a spankin'. Why in the Hell do Americans need rocket scientists to build AKs?

Edit: Took a closer look at some of OP's pics. I think the bbl pin is fine. The curved gouging on the trunion looks like to have been caused by bad alignment with the press that pushed the bbl pin in. Definitely cosmetic. If the gouged channel is a concern I'd get it replaced.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:57:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote

Won't lie, I've got some regret.  Picked it up on an impulse and just bought the receiver fairly early on.   figured I'd grab parts whenever, patience isn't a virtue of mine.   We'll see how it shakes out.   What I will say is it hasn't been smooth, I'm just missing parts so far, but they do try to make it right.  Won't be the easiest AK, but I think end of the day it'll work and for very as little as an AK could cost.

I would have gone WASR but I haven't owned one in years and the two I did both sucked.  I understand they're better but I had bad memories.

Most importantly I always wanted to build one but never had presses and jigs or access to them.  Mercifully I kinda wanted a beater

Bottom line, I'm optimistic this thing will work out.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:13:49 AM EDT
[#39]
I just received mine today and will be calling them in the morning and see if I can get my money back. This thing is a mess. Bolt gets stuck, barrel threads aren't right. Tried to put flash hider on and it won't go more than 2 turns. I thought this would be pretty easy to put together because I have some basic knowledge on breaking the whole gun down and putting it back together but this thing is a mess.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Won't lie, I've got some regret.  Picked it up on an impulse and just bought the receiver fairly early on.   figured I'd grab parts whenever, patience isn't a virtue of mine.   We'll see how it shakes out.   What I will say is it hasn't been smooth, I'm just missing parts so far, but they do try to make it right.  Won't be the easiest AK, but I think end of the day it'll work and for very as little as an AK could cost.

I would have gone WASR but I haven't owned one in years and the two I did both sucked.  I understand they're better but I had bad memories.

Most importantly I always wanted to build one but never had presses and jigs or access to them.  Mercifully I kinda wanted a beater

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not trying to bash the kit, but with this many issues and some of the parts production in question, a factory built AK either from the cheapest WASR to a higher dollar rifle is better in the long run along with resell value should you ever want to sell it.

I hope it works out for everyone that bought one,if not then i hope PSA refunds your money or makes it right.Just seems like a headache,maybe let them work out the bugs and buy one later.

I have seen several WASR's for less than $500,just check them out in person.I have bought 3 online and all are perfect and shoot just as good as the Arsenal's or Polytech AK's.Sure there are bad ones out there,but the quality of the recent ones is much better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#41]
I think maybe a lot of you are missing the point. This is a builders rifle. There's bound to be some issues.

The threads are an easy fix, remove FSB and add a few turns. You may even need to tighten the die a bit to reduce the overall threads to get a muzzle device to fit.

The bolt issue, well it shouldn't be an issue, they should easily slide into battery, but sounds like a trunnion issue to me. Another not too difficult to fix item.

RSB issue, yet another simple fix, similar to cant on the FSB. Or just a replacement of the RSB will resolve the issue.

For the $,  think even with these issues it's still a good deal, IF you have the parts, tools, and knowledge to make it into a weapon. I will agree with above statement though, it shouldn't be rocket science to put one of these together though. I'm a bit disappointed in what I'm reading in the reviews, but no so much so I wouldn't buy one.

If any of you are in the Houston area and would like some help putting your together, hit me up. I'm no smith, but I've done plenty of work on AKs throughout the years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#42]
If it's a builders rifle they need to market it as such. Buyers have a reason to be pissed when they are sold something that should be easy to assemble, but turns out needing every part hand fitted and other areas just fixed entirely.

I know if I had bought one I wouldn't have been expecting the mess they turned out to be.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I think maybe a lot of you are missing the point. This is a builders rifle. There's bound to be some issues.

The threads are an easy fix, remove FSB and add a few turns. You may even need to tighten the die a bit to reduce the overall threads to get a muzzle device to fit.

The bolt issue, well it shouldn't be an issue, they should easily slide into battery, but sounds like a trunnion issue to me. Another not too difficult to fix item.

RSB issue, yet another simple fix, similar to cant on the FSB. Or just a replacement of the RSB will resolve the issue.

For the $,  think even with these issues it's still a good deal, IF you have the parts, tools, and knowledge to make it into a weapon. I will agree with above statement though, it shouldn't be rocket science to put one of these together though. I'm a bit disappointed in what I'm reading in the reviews, but no so much so I wouldn't buy one.

If any of you are in the Houston area and would like some help putting your together, hit me up. I'm no smith, but I've done plenty of work on AKs throughout the years.
View Quote

Nope, the FS tower is way too far forward so to get the proper thread length you need so the FS has to be moved back and repined. Not a easy task when you figure you are going to have to clear the pin holes that are there (or fill them in) and drill new pin holes. No fun to be had there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#44]
I've seen a crap ton of Zastava M92s with a crooked rear sight block like that, including my own.  Too many people will think their front sight is canted, when it's really the rear sight block.

Not defending PSA at all (I think their AK sucks), but this isn't just an American AK problem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#45]
What "US" AK variants would you all trust at this point?  I know for me it starts with DDI, but would much prefer Definitive Arms.  But, guess what? you are PAYING real money for those guns.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

If I lived close by I'd take you up on that offer.  When I bought this thing I thought it would be easy to put together.  People mentioned it would be like putting a field stripped rifle together and only a screwdriver would be needed.  I'm going to work on it this weekend but I'm starting to think I might not be able to do it with my very limited skill set.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If it's a builders rifle they need to market it as such. Buyers have a reason to be pissed when they are sold something that should be easy to assemble, but turns out needing every part hand fitted and other areas just fixed entirely.

I know if I had bought one I wouldn't have been expecting the mess they turned out to be.
View Quote

Agreed.

These were marketed as something that you just drop your own parts in and you're done kind of deal.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm not defending them guys, just stating that from everything I have read most of these issues are not insurmountable.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If I lived close by I'd take you up on that offer.  When I bought this thing I thought it would be easy to put together.  People mentioned it would be like putting a field stripped rifle together and only a screwdriver would be needed.  I'm going to work on it this weekend but I'm starting to think I might not be able to do it with my very limited skill set.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you're in the Kitsap or north Pierce Co area I could help out
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#50]
The canted rear sight block isn't a problem. It's an issue if the front is canted but the example in the picture is GTG.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top