Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2015 11:07:12 PM EDT
Any reason why Century Arms decided not to Nitride the Bolt Carrier on their Milled C39V2??? The rest of the rifle looks amazing!!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of people that seem to think the AK is supposed to have a carrier in the white. I bet century has someone in house that feels the same way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
All of mine are along with every one I have seen. Why do you think they are not?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure. The only thing I have to complain about the carrier is really a top cover complaint. The carrier is black and there is some spot which has been ridiculously hard to pinpoint that is scratching the finish off all the way down the ejection port area of the carrier. It's obvious to see the results, just not the cause...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Century said when they announced the rifle that they weren't going to nitride it because doing so would affect the heat treatment of the steel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]
hmm, wonder if I could just ship it off to APW Cogan (Accurate Plating & Weaponry) to get the carrier Chrome plated (Matte).
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hmm, wonder if I could just ship it off to APW Cogan (Accurate Plating & Weaponry) to get the carrier Chrome plated (Matte).
View Quote

Curious, but why?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#7]
No reason, just for looks and corrosion I suppose. Not a deal breaker, love this rifle so far! It's the nicest AK I have ever handled.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Blue it or paint it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
If I bought one of those guns, the first thing I would do is get rid of that hollowed out bolt carrier, & replace it with a real foreign made one. Probably cheaper than trying to refinish the one from Century.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks N4KVE, way better idea! I just ordered a brand new Polish Complete Bolt carrier assembly and will just keep the factory one as a spare part.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I was going to say you could use this as an opportunity to learn to rust blue steel at home, but it sounds like you've already pulled the trigger on a surplus carrier. FWIW, my Yugo carriers are naked as a jay bird and I've never seen a hint of corrosion, even in my humid, salty climes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks N4KVE, way better idea! I just ordered a brand new Polish Complete Bolt carrier assembly and will just keep the factory one as a spare part.
View Quote

Just wanna make sure you're aware that the carrier can be replaced, but the bolt needs to be headspaced...
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
FWIW, my Yugo carriers are naked as a jay bird and I've never seen a hint of corrosion, even in my humid, salty climes.
View Quote
Same with my 3 Chinese guns.  GARY
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I just purchased a complete Polish Bolt Carrier/piston and plan on using my factory supplied Bolt.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes, I just purchased a complete Polish Bolt Carrier/piston and plan on using my factory supplied Bolt.
View Quote

Did you get a bolt with it?

Where did you order it from?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:24:51 AM EDT
[#16]
No bolt, Got it on Gunbroker
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top