Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/1/2015 5:16:37 PM EDT
I've finally decided I do not like the .223 cartridge for hunting (which in my opinion extends to MOST practical self-defense situations i.e. "It better drop like a sack of potatoes when I put a bullet through its boiler room.") After a Fall Rio Grande Turkey hunt where my friend (it actually was a friend this time...no lie) used my AR to shoot a Rio. He put seven rounds of Federal hollow points through some very vital areas of this particular turkey only to have it fall from a shot to neck as it was nearing some pretty heavy mesquite.

After mulling this over I began thinking if a .223 won’t stop a thunder chicken would it stop a bad guy? Now I know lots of Jihadists are pushing whatever flower they grow in the Middle East due to the .223/5.56, but I prefer my results...immediate. So I pose the question what is the most accurate AK (or any semi-auto rifle for that matter) chambered in 7.62x39 for $800 or under? I have been looking at the DDI's which use Green Mountain Barrels, but the reviews I've seen have been more focused on their reliability rather than their accuracy. On the same note I have been eyeing the PTR-32 Gen II's which I have shot first hand and know to be very accurate, but the tradeoff seems to be the 9.5lbs of rifle you would need to hump around with this platform (plus optics), however I'm a healthy boy so if it’s worth it I'll manage.

Things I don't want are: "All you need with an AK is Minute of Man" quotes, Mini 14's, to spend much over $800 (figured I might as well say it again.)

Whatever platform I choose will be scoped (with a 1-4X Vortex I already own.) My total budget is $1000 for a: Rifle, Scope Mount (I like the operation of the Midwest Industries style, but suggestions are welcome here also), and Ammunition.

Thoughts, Recommendations, Hurtful Comments?

Thank you for your help and time guys!

-NewDog

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I was able to consistently shoot 2-3 inch groups with a stock Century C39v2(RAS47 is the stamped version) and that was with Wolf Hollowpoints and a red dot sight. I'm normally not a huge fan of Century but their new "American made" line is pretty spot on. As well as being under $800.

Have you considered a .308 AR platform? Ones can be had for your price range. If you don't like the .223 for whatever your reasoning, .308 offers a good bit of hunting versatility.

I'm just going to leave the rest of your post alone.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:21:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Another option is an AR in 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I currently have 3 AR variants in 7.62x39  as well as 3 AKs  the ARs built around yhm barrels are the most accurate.That said I  have a SLR107   a G Kit Romney and and a RAS47.Then RAS 47 is the most accurate of the and very close to as accurate as the ARs
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow thats really good. I honestly hadn't realized that the centuries were getting that accurate. If you don't mind me asking how did you mount your red dot? Do you have it mounted over the dust cover or in a long eye relief configuration?
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I currently have 3 AR variants in 7.62x39  as well as 3 AKs  the ARs built around yhm barrels are the most accurate.That said I  have a SLR107   a G Kit Romney and and a RAS47.Then RAS 47 is the most accurate of the and very close to as accurate as the ARs
View Quote

I had looked at the RAS47's but hadn't been able to find any accuracy reports. Thanks for the info brother if they're that accurate I'm putting them on my short list.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wow thats really good. I honestly hadn't realized that the centuries were getting that accurate. If you don't mind me asking how did you mount your red dot? Do you have it mounted over the dust cover or in a long eye relief configuration?
View Quote

I had it mounted on a Midwest Industries Mini Dot Mount

Mini Dot

FYI the C39V2 is a milled receiver with no side mount so that limits some mount options.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Mini Dot

FYI the C39V2 is a milled receiver with no side mount so that limits some mount options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mini Dot

Thanks for the help bud. I liked the look of the Midwest Industries mounts. They seem solid, but not to bulky or weighty.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Vepr, by a good bit too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#9]
My C39V2 has been a total win so far. We haven't done any serious accuracy testing with it, due to lack of a legit bench. But I have a 16" plate that we set at 230 yards and I've consistently been impressed every time I shoot. Also, this is with the stock iron sites that I haven't even adjusted out of the box........

Lastly, I'd like to point out that I picked it up for 617 dollars shipped.......
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:45:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Double post..
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#11]
WASR - 25 yards - 3rd Shot while trying to Zero was dead center.  I can hit 300 yard steel with ease.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:09:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I haven't seen numbers mentioned much but the RAS-47 is supposed to be really good, I thought I heard possible 1 moa but I'm not for sure. I know PSA claimed theirs would do 1 moa when they announced it

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you considered 300 Blackout?  You would just need to buy the upper and use your existing AR15 Bolt carrier and magazines.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#14]
My 1960 is the most accurate. They're hard to find no adays.

Hers a 50 yard target. I had bought a m74 that was horrible with the groups and had some ask if i knew how to use iron sights. So i did 3 shots with the 74 and the 1960, the same distance and useing the same rest. ( lead sled) Now it is only 50 yards but the thing is still tight at 100, just not as much.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Who's ready for some controversy

Everyone since this is a gun forum?  

Great.

In all seriousness the most accurate FACTORY 7.62 AK I own is the RAS47.   I'll have a review up one of these days documenting it but the results are what they are.   And I own more than 1 AK
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:53:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great.

In all seriousness the most accurate FACTORY 7.62 AK I own is the RAS47.   I'll have a review up one of these days documenting it but the results are what they are.   And I own more than 1 AK
View Quote

sooooo.... have they improved since Rob Ski annihilated one of the first models?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for the Century C39V2. I have the Magpul edition and still can't get over how great it was out of the box. I think you can't go wrong with either the C39V2 or RAS47. Both are great guns for the price. I do like how the RAS47 features the scope rail mount.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
sooooo.... have they improved since Rob Ski annihilated one of the first models?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great.

I watched that video and to be fair he said it's the first gun he's put through that test so we don't have anything to compare too. Not saying that the RAS-47 does or does not have problems, just that unless he's done others since it doesn't tell us much. I don't even own one of these yet, but I'd like to.

Again i don't have one but, some people seem to think a US made AK is junk before they even look at it. I don't see any reason why we can't build a better one!

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#19]
An AR upper chambered in 7.62x39 or 300BLK, as mentioned, would do the job nicely. Alternatively, while I have no personal experience with Zastava M77s, I've never heard any complaints about their accuracy. And how can you not love a .308 AK for $600?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:52:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all the help guys. Im really considering the RAS47 now. I see you can get them with Magpul Zhukov furniture already installed which is cool. The PTR 32  is still really interesting me. The roller block mechanism is really interesting to me as a former machinist. Anyone have any experience with this platform?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe I just got lucky, but my WASR will shoot sub 4MOA with steel case ammo, a Primary arms red dot, and a TWS cop cover. I've never had an AK as accurate. I haven't put a lot of time with it on paper, but there are days that it seems offhand about as accurate as some Ar's.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#22]
At that price point and desire, I would wait for Radom's U.S. release of their Beryls.
Top shelf military manufacture and NOT watered down for our market like the Archer was.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been pretty impressed with my NPAP.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Depends on the particular build imho....for example, I have a Century M74 that absolutely drives tacks...sights are dead nuts down the middle and it cost me 450.00.  I have owned more expensive AK's that could not dream of touching it.  I will say this too.....if you come across an AK like that, NEVER sell it!
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I would buy the PSA kit and the Zhukov kit and add a Venom Gas Block and Ultimak.   Not much you couldn't do with that rifle.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#27]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQeOKeElHCo[/youtube]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#28]
This isn't very scientific, but, FWIW, when I was shooting a 10" plate at 200 yds, I think I connected a little more often with my C39V2 than with my DDM4v7LW.  The DD has an Aimpoint PRO, and the Century has a PA Advanced Micro (love it).  I was shooting wolf military classic in the AK.  Overall, I'm quite pleased.  Sorry I don't have any MOA numbers to give you.  If you're throwing a 1-4x on it, you'll be good.

Edit:  Forgot to mention, but the PA Micro is mounted in an Attero Arms Bravo mount.  I haven't done any drop tests or smacked it on anything, but it's been rock solid so far.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 2:40:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Embed:

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 10:55:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Most of the US made AK barrels are very high quality now,  compared to what they were a few years back.  I would be looking to any of the US made offerings when it comes to accuracy in an AK today.

That being said you will need to feed it quality ammo,  don't expect MOA performance out of Wolf,  etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I own 2 RAS47s they are both very accurate
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I was able to consistently shoot 2-3 inch groups with a stock Century C39v2(RAS47 is the stamped version) and that was with Wolf Hollowpoints and a red dot sight. I'm normally not a huge fan of Century but their new "American made" line is pretty spot on. As well as being under $800.

Have you considered a .308 AR platform? Ones can be had for your price range. If you don't like the .223 for whatever your reasoning, .308 offers a good bit of hunting versatility.

I'm just going to leave the rest of your post alone.

View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am using a Attero Arms Bravo Mout with wit a PA Micro on it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#34]
A VEPR in .308 is the most accurate AK platform available! Not every single one of them, but most with 20" barrels will shoot 2 MOA or better. I have shot every AK listed here and one thing you have to remember is that the 7.62x39 is ballisticly challenged to start with. The .308 is a way better round in every category except price per shot.
The .308 VEPRs have heavy chrome lined barrels and heavy RPK MG style trunions which make them stiff and accurate. The .308 will drop anything in North America.
If you want a hunting AK there is nothing better in current production.
I'll post a 100 or 200 yard range report video to back up what I say if anyone wants to take the pepsi challenge with me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#35]
I forgot to say that the .308  VEPRs come with a 2 stage trigger that when polished isn't bad, but I always install a Red Star adjustable trigger.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 6:42:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I forgot to say that the .308  VEPRs come with a 2 stage trigger that when polished isn't bad, but I always install a Red Star adjustable trigger.
View Quote

While I agree completely with everything else you have said about the Vepr (mine have all been 2 MOA or better, the .308's especially.), the OEM Vepr trigger is not a two-stage.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:19:12 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

THIS is what I am waiting for!
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes

Anybody have an ETA on Radom USA yet?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anybody????
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Anybody????
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody????

Nope. And while a Beryl may get your nether regions all tingly, OP doesn't want 5.56.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#41]
P
Quoted:

Nope. And while a Beryl may get your nether regions all tingly, OP doesn't want 5.56.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anybody????

I don't want one either.  If I heard correctly on the video,  7.62x39 rifle will be coming.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A VEPR in .308 is the most accurate AK platform available! Not every single one of them, but most with 20" barrels will shoot 2 MOA or better. I have shot every AK listed here and one thing you have to remember is that the 7.62x39 is ballisticly challenged to start with. The .308 is a way better round in every category except price per shot.
The .308 VEPRs have heavy chrome lined barrels and heavy RPK MG style trunions which make them stiff and accurate. The .308 will drop anything in North America.
If you want a hunting AK there is nothing better in current production.
I'll post a 100 or 200 yard range report video to back up what I say if anyone wants to take the pepsi challenge with me.
View Quote

If you are hunting then the .308 is the only way to go.
I never understood why the military went to the .223... another day.

BTW when the supply of Russian AKs, and especially the VEPR, run out (shortly) everyone will suddenly discover what a great rifle it is = $$$$

One can get .308 in FMJ for < .50 /round in brass
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:32:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I have had several AKs over the years including some milled beauties. But recently I picked up a RAS47 and I've put about 200 rounds down it so far, my results with it are that the rifle is exceptionally accurate, the ammo I have used is not. On both trips out I was able to produce 3 inch groups open sights at 100, but if I were to discount the handful of flyers the group size would be half as small.

I am going to try and get some better ammo (no more monarch or tulammo) and maybe a scope and I'll be glad to share my results.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

BTW when the supply of Russian AKs, and especially the VEPR, run out (shortly) everyone will suddenly discover what a great rifle it is = $$$$
View Quote

VEPRs aren't going anywhere - Molot wasn't included in the EO.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top