Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Edit: Bummer. Just went to put on my EG sling... Ahhrg@#***#$%... Ak47 type HG retainer!!!! No sling loop!!!!!!!!!!! No sling for me until I replace the HG retainer
View Quote

OK, I just looked at the pic on page one and that's just odd and something I did not notice before. Why on earth would they build it with a non looped retainer?

I have one on the way so I guess I'll have to Haji me something together.

Jokes aside that's a pretty big omission....I started a thread in the PSA Industry forum about it.

I guess they did it that way so the Magpul HG could be mounted as it extends past where the loop would be. They must think everyone wants a $100.00 Tupperware HG.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/270402_PSA_AK_Barreled_Receiver____No_Sling_Loop_On_Hand_Guard_Retainer.html

BTW....They are back in stock.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
sweet

ETA:

What about different calibers?

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thank you for the comments.

The PSAK-47 started as an opportunity to partner with Magpul on their new AK furniture.  Because of this our first models did not have the sling loops so that they would work properly with the Magpul furniture.  The project has morphed into making AK kits that use standard AK and AKM furniture,  We now realize the full potential of the market and will be introducing numerous new parts including hand guard end caps with sling loops.  We think PSA will soon be better known for its selection of AK parts and build kits than AR15.  We look forward to serving the AK community and will soon be introducing new kits and highly sought after configurations.

View Quote

Excellent  The barreled receivers are a great idea at a great price.  I'm excited to see PSA coming into the AK market with this product, it should really shake up the AK market.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Excellent  The barreled receivers are a great idea at a great price.  I'm excited to see PSA coming into the AK market with this product, it should really shake up the AK market.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The PSAK-47 started as an opportunity to partner with Magpul on their new AK furniture.  Because of this our first models did not have the sling loops so that they would work properly with the Magpul furniture.  The project has morphed into making AK kits that use standard AK and AKM furniture,  We now realize the full potential of the market and will be introducing numerous new parts including hand guard end caps with sling loops.  We think PSA will soon be better known for its selection of AK parts and build kits than AR15.  We look forward to serving the AK community and will soon be introducing new kits and highly sought after configurations.

Salad days gentlemen, salad days!

Excited to see what other configurations PSA comes out with. Considering one of these once they come out with the HG retainer with the sling mount.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's all fine, well, and good but how about letting current buyers (since they are back in stock) know about the lack of the loop on the retainer in your site's listing till you get the issue fixed.

As I stated it's very easy to overlook and most folks would fully expect it to be on there.

Part of me is disappointed that I did not notice it before the purchase (my fault) and I'll live with that but another part of me thinks the omission should have been noted in the listing.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Waiting for 5.56 variants that take STANAG mags
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I was looking forward to picking up one at the BF sale but without a sling loop it's no deal. No interest in Magpul stuff,  just want a quality US made AKM.  Everything else about this rifle looks fantastic,  I don't quite understand the logic of omitting a part that would take 30 seconds to remove with a Dremel for those who require the Magpul HG -  especially give  that the sling loop is a standard part expected to be found on every AKM.

Hope this issue is corrected soon,  it looks great otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
@PSA: Y'all haven't discontinued the barreled receivers that come without a side-scope mount have you? Don't see 'em now on the site and really wanted one like that, got no use for side-mounts, just extra weight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I was looking forward to picking up one at the BF sale but without a sling loop it's no deal. No interest in Magpul stuff,  just want a quality US made AKM.  Everything else about this rifle looks fantastic,  I don't quite understand the logic of omitting a part that would take 30 seconds to remove with a Dremel for those who require the Magpul HG -  especially give  that the sling loop is a standard part expected to be found on every AKM.

View Quote

I suspect "We now realize the full potential of the market and will be introducing numerous new parts including hand guard end caps with sling loops." was just "realized" today when the issue came up.

I call BS.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can always buy this receiver and replace the HG retainer with one of your choice.  That is kinda the purpose of buying the kits...
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You can always buy this receiver and replace the HG retainer with one of your choice.  That is kinda the purpose of buying the kits...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the purpose for most buyers is to add a few simple parts and have a rifle. Not many people have the tools or desire to press off the front sight and gas block to replace the handguard retainer.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Kinda skimmed through.

Who makes the receiver? I don't see any markings on the sides, which I like. Are all the markings on the bottom next to the magwell?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think the purpose for most buyers is to add a few simple parts and have a rifle. Not many people have the tools or desire to press off the front sight and gas block to replace the handguard retainer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that but think they could dremel this one off, and replace it with one that bolts on, like a Vepr or some Saiga ones.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except you're forgetting all the villagers with torches and pitchforks who came out when they realized that they'd have to cut the HG retainers off to mount their new Zhukov handguards.

When you're getting into a given market for the first time you can't be all things to all people, you have to pick a target customer and go after that first. PSA was going to ride the wave of Magpul's AK-product launch and Magpul customers didn't want to modify their retainers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Except you're forgetting all the villagers with torches and pitchforks who came out when they realized that they'd have to cut the HG retainers off to mount their new Zhukov handguards.

When you're getting into a given market for the first time you can't be all things to all people, you have to pick a target customer and go after that first. PSA was going to ride the wave of Magpul's AK-product launch and Magpul customers didn't want to modify their retainers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What you say makes sense but PSA should have spelled it out in their listing. Proprietary parts should be listed as such.

It seems to me the act of  selling barreled receiver IS being all things to all people and not product (Magpul) specific.

Their pic with the retainer next to the rear sight block/trunnion did not help matters any. Hard to pick out that it's missing the loop with just a casual glance. My fault there as I did not look closely enough.

I think PSA should at least provide a looped retainer on request for a nominal fee (their cost) when/if they ever get them in to those like myself that bought and expected the loop to be on the retainer. LOL...Pigs will fly first I suspect.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I understand that but think they could dremel this one off, and replace it with one that bolts on, like a Vepr or some Saiga ones.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ipmdy1.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i59.tinypic.com/ipmdy1.jpg

No offense but I don't see how you could possibly think this is an alternative to a core feature missing from the rifle.

I have the tools and experience to press off barrel components and replace a HG retainer with a proper one, but that was the beauty of this available barreled receiver.  It is basically a complete parts kit core with all of the annoying work done.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC PSA has a barreled receiver with no retainer at all for the zhukov fans

Want the AKM Zhukov short retainer?  Cut the sling loop off.

I have to believe the Magpul-havers are a minority compared to those who just want an affordable quality AKM build but I may be wrong g
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

LOL...I don't think the "you can just replace the retainer" folks have ever built (or in this case de-constructed) a AK.

Sadly I don't have the press and such to properly do it now. Meh, just something I'll have to live with but it is a disappointment.

On the bright side at least the word is out now.

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

You seriously don't think you could come up with SOMETHING for an otherwise fantastic rifle?  Heck, loop a UWL through something.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You seriously don't think you could come up with SOMETHING for an otherwise fantastic rifle?  Heck, loop a UWL through something.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This will be my solution. Old mil-surp saddle ring over the cleaning rod. The cleaning rod is secured and it's thicker than the loop so at worst all I'll have is some cosmetic barrel wear.

To be honest it works pretty darn well and is no more noisy than the regular set-up.....Haji Approved.

BTW...What's a UWL?
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody shoot theirs yet?  How is it???
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would probably have one welded to the retainer preferably.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:55:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I've been sitting here with my finger on the buy button...

Has anyone shot theirs yet?  
How is the receiver marked, did PSA mfg'r the receiver?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

+1 on

Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:34:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

+1 on

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

+1 on

I am hoping all the parts will be here by Friday so that I build it and test it out this weekend.  I will post a complete build/range report when i do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Got my receiver today.  

Everything looks straight, some small dings in the finish, and the rivet job isn't too terrible, but it won't win any beauty contests.  PMags lock up in it ok.  

Markings are pretty low profile.  Serial # and maker infor are on the bottom ahead of the magwell, and there's a PSA crossed cannons logo on the side.  It doesnt stand out too much, but I'm not all that much of a fan of it.  

Completion kit will be here Wednesday, so I hope to get it put together Wednesday night.  Hope to have more to report back then.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#29]
So my receiver came in today and my freedom parts kit came in the other day. I assembled the complete gun today, it took about 2.5 hours. Even though it is an all bolt together kit, this is not for the novice builder. When they say some fitting may be required, they are not kidding. Every single component need to be either beat, bent, smashed or grinded.
The firing pin came bent and would not slide in and out of the bolt correctly causing a slam fire condition. The front site drum/nut was oversized for the hole it was supposed to go into in the front site post. The handguard was too long for the retainer to be able to closed. the top dust cover had the top most rib stamped too tall and would not fit in the slot. A disaster all around. Now that it is built it seems nice however. Still very stiff and the bolt doesn't want to unlock without some beating on the charging handle, but everything function tests fine so I'm sure it'll loosen up upon firing.
Bottom line, it's a budget built gun. Results came out as expected for the cost.

Oh yeah, and the freedom kit came with no muzzle brake. What gives? Now I got bare threads until I order one separately..
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 11:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I have one arriving sometime this week and it has a complete bolt (that is headspaced to the barrel and serialized with the receiver).  Waiting for that blonde wood kit which happens to come with the extractor, firing pin, and a couple other parts I am not familiar with yet...until i see them closer.  I'm worried about getting that front sight drum in there without taking too much off so it slips in and out easily.  I can see that as a challenge.  Rear sight and fire control are easy.  Hopefully not too much 'fitting' to get that wood furniture on. HOpefully PSA has batch tested their kits with these several barreled receiver kits so we don't have to be their guinea pigs.  At this price, I can see them cutting that corner.  So nervous getting a 'gen 1' product from PSA, and "American made AK" to boot.  Good to see it's a melonited 4150 barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Shot mine Saturday, 300 rounds with no problems to speak of. I did have tight ejection like the poster above before shooting but it loosened up after firing. PSA failed to ship a slant brake and a disconnector spring but I had spares. This seems to be a problem with a lot of build kits. Furniture from the freedom kit looks just like my sgl-21. 4" groups sighting in at 50 yards and hitting a 10" swinging steel plate at 100 yards 25 out of 30 times . PSA has my parts on the way. Over all I'm happy but if you have never built an ak you could have problems with making parts fit or having the right tools to do so.  Good luck......
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:56:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm worried about getting that front sight drum in there without taking too much off so it slips in and out easily.  I can see that as a challenge.  

View Quote

If it's a mil-spec cut hole and drum it's not designed to "slip in and out easily", it's a press fit. That's a good thing. Don't "take any off"!

I always used a padded C-clamp to get the sight drum started in the hole then use a normal AK front sight windage/elevation tool to move the drum to the center position.

Then push the split-end FS post into it's hole with the T-handled elevation part of the tool. It woks best when you remove that part from the windage part of the tool.

If you don't already own a AK front sight tool then procure one as it makes installation/adjustments and FS adjustments at the range so much easier.

There are lesser and better versions available but I've been using this one for years. It does what it was designed to do.

I get my barreled receiver in today so hopefully there won't be a lot of cussing involved. I'll be using all mil-spec on-hand parts.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:55:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I did some work on mine over the weekend using the PSA furniture-less build kit. It did not come with a muzzle device, gas tube or t-nut for the pistol grip. I had a spare gas tube and the other parts are on order.

Unlike every other AK I have owned there is no finish wear on any parts. Everything is very tight fitting. I still appear to have some fitting work to do, especially with the bolt carrier group. When it is forward it's hard to pull to the rear, almost like it's locked.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#34]
are any of you checking headspace? Tight bolts kinda scream headspace to me, but I could just be overreacting.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
are any of you checking headspace? Tight bolts kinda scream headspace to me, but I could just be overreacting.
View Quote

Either that or just a rail issue with it binding on the carrier.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Finally got it fit together. Swapped out the lower HG retainer for an DDR one, a late cast style gas block, DDR rear sight, and slant comp. Haven't put the front sight drum in yet. Mucho Gracias for the c clamp idea to get it started. Need to find an engraver who can add the selector markings and  copy the Serial # to the trunion in an East German kinda way. For the money I decree the PSA a win.

Finish on barrelled receiver does appear to be melanited. Not melanited under gas block and front site. So looks like was built and then dunked. Mine has what looks like a few small rust spots that weren't  buffed out prior to treatment and show through -- not a biggy for me since mine has a fire date with some black appliances epoxy. If they'd properly prepped it, I'd be tempted to keep the final finish as is. Rivet work isgreat on the front trunion. The rear has one rivet that didn't get the head fully seated. Not sure if trying to crush it more will screw it up worse or not.

On me -- screwed up the front gas block pin hole (stupid drill bit got dull from the first hole -- barrel heap big hard) had to oversize the hole and use bigger sacraficial drill bit for the pin.

If I get  a chance will post pics. Pics on pg 1 pretty much some it up.

Pics:

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

May replace the top cover -- locks up really tight (shorten it?) and it appears slightly undersized at the front trunion (must investigate)

Well, replaced the top cover with .. an EG one that had been on my bottom of the Bbl MISR90. All Good. And the PSA cover fits the MISRable90 perfectly.

And one final edit: The carrier that PSA ships in their build kit is AK 47 pattern -- no step down, lightening, on the visible/ejection port side when it is in battery. No biggy only FYI info.

More: 90* gas hole in bbl transitioning to obviously 45* gas block.
And finally,  the only possibly worrisome issue. -- the front trunion looks to be cast. There may be eventual issues since the trunion holds the headspace for the rifle. Any weakness here could be bad JUJU. Curious to know from whence PSA has sourced their parts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#37]
edit: nevermind I see what you did

I wish PSA had used the late model AKM gas block but just nitpicking.. have always liked the late AKM looks
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#38]
My barreled receiver and ALG freedom kit came into day. Im no big AK guy but color me impressed. Mine is straight like an arrow, all my mags fit great. For a beater i think its gonna be a win. Ill be assembling it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#39]
all the short comings I'm ready seem to be minor ones that appear to be easily over come. Perhaps I will have to divert some $ from other things and pick one of these up for the Egyptian kit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is looking more and more that way. I am going to have to acquire some gauges before I go much further.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mine is looking more and more that way. I am going to have to acquire some gauges before I go much further.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just going to shoot mine. What the worst that can happen?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:. When they say some fitting may be required, they are not kidding. Every single component need to be either beat, bent, smashed or grinded.
View Quote

You just summed up AK ownership in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#43]
In the middle of my assembly. . . .

(Freedom ALG kit.)

Issues so far:

Rear sight spring was bent too far - had to tweak it to get the rear sight in.

Front hand guards were **REALLY** tight.  Hammer had to be used to get them in.  Ditto with the butt stock.  

Torx butt stock screws?  Really PSA?  

Pistol grip nut didn't fit in the hole real well.  Had to hit the edges with a file to get it to sit in there correctly.  

No washer/bushing for the Pistol grip.  Screw will probably pull thru the grip if torqued too high.  

ALG AKT trigger had issues resetting.  Had to add the supplementary spring in there to get it to work right.  Amazing trigger.  Should be a bump fire master in no time. . . . .

Bolt shipped stripped.  (Not complete.)  No parts in completion kit.  Will be calling PSA in the morning. . . .

Top cover doesn't come close to fitting.  Too long, the nose is not square/consistantly formed, and the notch for the front trunnion is not right.  Add in the rear is squeezed to far in, and it just isn't worth trying to fix.  

Front sight Drum is. . . tight.  Broke my arbor press.  So its stuck most of the way out of the FSB.  PSA, if you read this, think about fixing this interference fit, or press it into the FSB when you pin it to the barrel.  

But the biggest issue was the carrier binding on the receiver rails.  Turns out, the carrier had a slight dimensional problem under the charging handle on the right side, that when coupled with a slightly overbent receiver rail, caused it to bind.  Polished the receiver rail, hit the offending area on the carrier with an Emory block to square it up, and the issue is mostly resolved.  (Still need to finish blocking it and then polish the surface)  

Pretty much at the point where I can't do anything else because I am either:

Missing parts. (Bolt parts)

Provided parts are too far out of spec to work.  (Top cover)

Need new tooling.  (Bigger press for FS Drum)

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

(Freedom ALG kit.)

Issues so far:

Rear sight spring was bent too far - had to tweak it to get the rear sight in.

Front hand guards were **REALLY** tight.  Hammer had to be used to get them in.  Ditto with the butt stock.  

Torx butt stock screws?  Really PSA?  

Pistol grip nut didn't fit in the hole real well.  Had to hit the edges with a file to get it to sit in there correctly.  

No washer/bushing for the Pistol grip.  Screw will probably pull thru the grip if torqued too high.  

ALG AKT trigger had issues resetting.  Had to add the supplementary spring in there to get it to work right.  Amazing trigger.  Should be a bump fire master in no time. . . . .

Bolt shipped stripped.  (Not complete.)  No parts in completion kit.  Will be calling PSA in the morning. . . .

Top cover doesn't come close to fitting.  Too long, the nose is not square/consistantly formed, and the notch for the front trunnion is not right.  Add in the rear is squeezed to far in, and it just isn't worth trying to fix.  

Front sight Drum is. . . tight.  Broke my arbor press.  So its stuck most of the way out of the FSB.  PSA, if you read this, think about fixing this interference fit, or press it into the FSB when you pin it to the barrel.  

But the biggest issue was the carrier binding on the receiver rails.  Turns out, the carrier had a slight dimensional problem under the charging handle on the right side, that when coupled with a slightly overbent receiver rail, caused it to bind.  Polished the receiver rail, hit the offending area on the carrier with an Emory block to square it up, and the issue is mostly resolved.  (Still need to finish blocking it and then polish the surface)  

Pretty much at the point where I can't do anything else because I am either:

Missing parts. (Bolt parts)

Provided parts are too far out of spec to work.  (Top cover)

Need new tooling.  (Bigger press for FS Drum)

View Quote

And... I won't be buying one of these for a year.  That's generally how long I wait after PSA releases a new product anyway.  Shame, as the price point is attractive, and I would generally have far more confidence in PSA than CAI to produce a quality domestic AK.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That thought has crossed my mind

edit: However, I am not an AK expert and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. So in all seriousness, I am a little leery of the thing at this point.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

My AMD-63 top cover would not fit till I slightly tweaked the bottom rear of the cover out a bit. It did not take very much. Perfect fit now.

Just be careful to "tweak" the top-cover in the center and not on the edges or you can crack it. About where the serial starts and ends in the pic is all you need to bend.

I agree, the hole for the drum is out of spec. PSA should install the FS parts even if it means a corresponding price increase. I foresee a lot of difficulties for those not used to building AKs and dealing with such things.

One good thing is that there are a metric shit-ton of "how-to" AK build trouble-shooting posts on the net.

My weapon went together pretty easy (less than a hour) but I know how to work with/on the little variances that came-up.

It helped I had great high quality parts to work with, all either E. German MPi-KM or Hungarian AMD-63 parts left over from my build party days.  

BTW....PSA will send you the bolt parts. I went round-n-round with them on that issue yesterday. They shipped today.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

edit: However, I am not an AK expert and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. So in all seriousness, I am a little leery of the thing at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found this on another site.....

The headspace on an AK is determined at the factory by the barrels position in the trunion. They press it in to the correct position and drive that barrel pin through to keep it in place. If you have a matching numbers kit you are 99% good to go. However, if you really want to find out, you have a couple options:

1: buy 7.62x39 headspace gauges.

2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The headspace on an AK is determined at the factory by the barrels position in the trunion. They press it in to the correct position and drive that barrel pin through to keep it in place. If you have a matching numbers kit you are 99% good to go. However, if you really want to find out, you have a couple options:

2: Do what I do. Hold the rifle far away from your body, turn head the other way and pull the trigger.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking more along the lines of securing it into a stand and using a rather long string..

I will do some experimenting this weekend with the firing pin removed and live rounds and if I am still not satisfied I will get some gauges.

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Frankly, I'm surprised it doesn't come that way. I would think that's an integral enough part of the FSB to come pre-installed, and even though PSA says in their ads that these kits aren't for beginners, they were specifically  designed to be built without the need for things like hydraulic presses.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Called PSA today.  Was quoted 15 business days for the bolt parts.  Normally 72 hours, but it seems they had a number of these go out the door without any bolt parts.  

Trying to convince them to replace the top cover was a lost cause.  I ended up modifying the one they sent, ended up taking off almost 2.5mm from the front of the cover, and had to bend the bottom edges out about 2mm a side to get it to still be a tight fit on the receiver.  Even more bending was needed to get the clearance notch on the left side for the front trunnion to fit.  It'll work for test firing, but I'm going to replace it.  PSA, if you're reading this, check a few of these out against the print, and adjust the stamping die.  Top covers shouldn't be that jacked up. . . .
Even with the issues, its been an interesting and fun project.
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top