Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2015 11:52:11 AM EDT
How is it with heat? Does it dissipate heat well or is it worse than standard hand guards? I need to ditch the crappy metal rail on my AKM since it transfers heat right to my hand even with Knight's rail panels installed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't dissipate heat the best, but it doesn't get hot. Just a little warm. It will stay a little warm for longer than a basic polymer handguard does since the insert is steel and relatively thick.

Unless you have soft girlish hands it shouldn't bother you.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The insert is aluminum.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes it is. My bad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't dissipate heat the best, but it doesn't get hot. Just a little warm. It will stay a little warm for longer than a basic polymer handguard does since the insert is steel and relatively thick.

Unless you have soft girlish hands it shouldn't bother you.

View Quote

No girl hands here, lol.

Thanks. I just ordered a Zhukov. As I see it, anything will be better than the crappy unknown maker quad rail I had.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently did a video review of this and the heat mitigation was mentioned or should I say the lack thereof.

VIDEO

IMG_7007
by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I recently did a video review of this and the heat mitigation was mentioned or should I say the lack thereof.

VIDEO

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/xJZx4v" target="_blank">https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5802/20833578511_bf56a65094_b.jpg</a>
IMG_7007
by 556 Channel (HD), on Flickr
View Quote

Its a big hunk of thick aluminum, so it makes sense it would absorb heat. There is not a lot of surface area the help heat dissipate.

I'm going to try to drill a whole bunch of 1/4 holes in some areas to increase the surface area.

This kind of thing is not cost-effective for a manufacturer though. The extrusion is pretty thick.

Nice Gray K!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Great info, thanks for sharing. I got to get that stock as well.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its a big hunk of thick aluminum, so it makes sense it would absorb heat. There is not a lot of surface area the help heat dissipate.

I'm going to try to drill a whole bunch of 1/4 holes in some areas to increase the surface area.

This kind of thing is not cost-effective for a manufacturer though. The extrusion is pretty thick.

Nice Gray K!
View Quote

Thanks!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top