Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/28/2015 10:26:09 AM EDT
I have a few AKM's that I shoot for fun....... but am looking to pick up another AKM that I can utilize as a "go to" rifle.  One that I can depend on when the going gets tough, if you know what I mean.

I have the following upgrades that I would be adding to this new AKM....

- Magpul folding stock and PG
- Railed hand guard
- Texas Weapon Systems dog leg top cover
-  Vortex StrikeFire 2 red/green dot (maybe a magnifier)
- Undecided type of muzzle brake

So what is the best built, dependable, AKM out there that I can pick up?  I know to stay away from the I.O. or Century AKM's.  

Any suggestions?  I will be soon be selling a mint with/in box Kassnar FEG Hungarian SA85 with accessories.....and reinvesting the money into an AKM for this project.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#1]
WASR
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#2]
VanHessian,

I'm new to AK's myself, having owned my first for just over a week, but you may want to add in a price limit.
Since you don't plan to use standard furniture, I'd suggest trying to find ones that have as much of the furniture that you do plan to use on it as possible, or get one that doesn't have an added price for fancy furniture.

The Magpul Zhukov stock you want is about $100 MSRP while this pistol rip is $20 or $25 depending on the version you want. Keep that in mind when you look at rifles which may have higher-end wood furniture. That may have added to the rifle's cost and is of no use to you if you plan to replace it right off the bat.

Moving to your requirements of "depend on when the going gets tough", I'd say that any properly made AK could be expected to perform under those conditions.

With those in mind, the DDI Stamped AK47 Magpul MOE/Zhukov is an option at Atlantic for $780. It has the stock and pistol grip that you already plan to put onto it, although it also has some "waste" of the MOE furniture. I'm sure you could sell the MOE handguard as new take-offs in the EE if you wanted to recoup some of that.

On one other end of the spectrum, you could consider a WASR-10, which is going for $570 at Atlantic, and add on your parts there. I'd weight the cost difference though, as a WASR-10 with the added cost of the Zhukov and grip would go up to $695, which is $85 less than the previously mentioned DDI. Consider what the non-furniture differences are and see if you like features on the DDI enough (or don't) to see if that extra $85 is worth it for you.

On the other extreme are the Arsenals and even Krebs. Those would be considerably more and I am not aware of either of those coming with Magpul equipment, although some do have handguards and top covers that would meet your needs.

Lastly, you could wait for the IWI Galil ACE 7.62x39 Not an AKM-pattern rifle, but it does have everything you'd want (the folding stock is not a Zhukov, but you could put other Magpul stocks on the tube).

I personally wanted a basic rifle and don't plan to add much to it, so I went with the WASR-10 from Atlantic. Don't have many rounds through it and still need to dial in the sights, but the quality on it seems to be improved from the WASR's of old.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WASR
View Quote

Lol....uhh......No!....lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WASR

Current production WASRs have been great rifles. The days of them being crap have been gone for a while.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Current production WASRs have been great rifles. The days of them being crap have been gone for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WASR

Hmmm....really.  thanks.  I had one about 7 years ago....no mag wells....and it was a pos.  I was not aware that they are a lot better now a days.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
WASRs are fine rifles now. A few of my buddies own them and all of theirs are great examples of AKMs.

I'm not a tier 1 operator, but I would trust one for serious use.

If you can't get over the personal bias I would recommend Arsenal or Krebs. But you're getting on for 2-3x the money for said WASR. That price comes with, in my opinion, heavily diminished returns on your investment.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#7]
SAR-1 or SA-85 if you want an AKM pattern rifle.

For the money - buy a SAR-1.

Lack of dimples instantly disqualifies a WASR from contention.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:31:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not if the plan is to add a ton of aftermarket accessories, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a ton.  I hate lots of crap on rifles.
Just a more useable stock set, a red dot or holo, and maybe a light.

Dimples are required in my book.  Some things you just cant let go of.......
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
For a "go-to" rifle I'd go with a side-mount for the red dot instead of the TWS for long-term durability. Midwest makes a nice low-profile unit, RS makes great stuff too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Nothing wrong with a WASR OP, but you're gonna have a damn hard time finding a rifle as nice as that SA-85, it's a superb candidate for a SHTF go-to rifle, mine is the most accurate semi-auto rifle I own.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I love Chicoms........Norinco or Polytech
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm guilty of not reading

If you're going to add stuff get one of the converted saigas that seem to be abundant all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of Saigas and Chicom guns without dimples.  Just putting that out there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yea...forgot that some chicom's didn't have dimples.  Your right.  I was not familiar with the saiga's....interesting though.

What about DDI's.....anyone know anything about them?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For a "go-to" rifle I'd go with a side-mount for the red dot instead of the TWS for long-term durability. Midwest makes a nice low-profile unit, RS makes great stuff too.
View Quote

This x10. Never had a positive experience with TWS or Parabellum top cover. AK= side mount.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Mag well dimples are overrated...

I like having them for the look but as far as functionality they aren't necessary.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#18]
SLR-107?
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh yea...forgot that some chicom's didn't have dimples.  Your right.  I was not familiar with the saiga's....interesting though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DDI seems to be a solid rifle, I'd love to have one of their offerings.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 3:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
WASR
MI side mount
MI railed LHG - also check out the Hogue grips as they come with removable rails if you change your mind.
Skip the Magpul folding stock until it has proven it can take some decent abuse.

As for dimples they are not really necessary and quite a few high end AKs dont have them. They are mostly there to reinforce the magwell. The WASR, Saiga, Vepr, etc. rifles that have no dimples instead have small sheet metal plates welded here instead to double the overall sheet steel thickness.

Bought my WASR around 2010 right when the quality started to pick up. I dont even know how many rounds have been through it. Totally lost count, but many thousands. I can tell you it has NEVER failed to work, not a single time. I own many rifles but I can say for sure I would feel 100% confident in that WASR if I had to grab one rifle and leave this second.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
WASR
MI side mount
MI railed LHG - also check out the Hogue grips as they come with removable rails if you change your mind.
Skip the Magpul folding stock until it has proven it can take some decent abuse.

As for dimples they are not really necessary and quite a few high end AKs dont have them. They are mostly there to reinforce the magwell. The WASR, Saiga, Vepr, etc. rifles that have no dimples instead have small sheet metal plates welded here instead to double the overall sheet steel thickness.

Bought my WASR around 2010 right when the quality started to pick up. I dont even know how many rounds have been through it. Totally lost count, but many thousands. I can tell you it has NEVER failed to work, not a single time. I own many rifles but I can say for sure I would feel 100% confident in that WASR if I had to grab one rifle and leave this second.
View Quote

+1

While not usually pretty to look at one of my most accurate AK's was a $400 WASR.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
SLR-107?
View Quote

This is by far the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I had been reading some reviews and found that TWS was one of the best for a top rail.  I did post a topic asking about this ..........and go No responses.  
The dog leg is on its way to me now.........guess I will give it a try and see.  But Thanks for your suggestion.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:05:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nothing wrong with a WASR OP, but you're gonna have a damn hard time finding a rifle as nice as that SA-85, it's a superb candidate for a SHTF go-to rifle, mine is the most accurate semi-auto rifle I own.
View Quote

I know.  Its so well built and a work of art really.  Such well formed rivets and the construction is so solid.
But it would just be a crime to take it out and run it through the courses.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I love Chicoms........Norinco or Polytech
View Quote

I do have a couple of Chicoms.   But would really rather stay within a standard stamped AKM platform.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay,

What is everyone's opinion on these two rifles?

- DDI AKM

- Atlantic made Polish AKM

Both have side rails and seem to get good reviews?
But I have absolutely no experience with either of them.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I have the DDI AKM. Build quality is outstanding and the Fenocite coating is great - carbon just doesn't want to stick to it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I was thinking about ddi but I don't like the fact they don't use chrome lined barrels

IK fenocite is supposed to be real good but I prefer chrome my self as it is proven
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well, I had been reading some reviews and found that TWS was one of the best for a top rail.  I did post a topic asking about this ..........and go No responses.  
The dog leg is on its way to me now.........guess I will give it a try and see.  But Thanks for your suggestion.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like saying you got the best turd out of all the other turds.

Top rail covers move. And with the side mount options and the Ultimak there is no way I'd ever ever consider any dust cover optic mount option.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Why not just keep the Hungarian SA85?

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#31]

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:18:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Top rail covers move. And with the side mount options and the Ultimak there is no way I'd ever ever consider any dust cover optic mount option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well......LOL.  Not really because my original thought was to utilize the mint Kassnar SA-85m that I have and it did not have a side mounted rail.  I did not want to alter it and install one.  So, I checked into other ways to mount a red dot or holo sight.  That was a viable option.

Now, I  have decided to just keep the Kassnar SA85M mint and purchase a new made dependable AKM.  Prob going to go with a DDI.  So it will have a side rail so perhaps I will give both a try and see which one I like the most.  

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

AIRBORNE!!!!!
View Quote

Yea, I think I have decided to just keep the SA-85M and purchase a new AKM to utilize.  Now to determine which one.
I am currently leaning towards either a DDI or Atlantic Polish AKM.  

Prob going to sell a PPK (.380) and rare early AR Scope to make this new purchase.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Dont listen to the naysayers.  I have the TWS dogleg on my Saiga and it's solid.  It doesn't "move" at all and it locks up tight.  I would personally highly recommend the TWS, and would definitely not consider it a "turd" by any means.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:15:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Those DDI guns are running around $700... That's almost arsenal slr 107 range.... Why not get a Bulgy?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:49:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Those DDI guns are running around $700... That's almost arsenal slr 107 range.... Why not get a Bulgy?
View Quote

Well, I thought about that.  But unless I am mistaken.  I wanted a stamped receiver in 7.62x39mm with a fixed stock rear trunion.  I did not see that configuration in the SLR107's......only folding stock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:50:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Dont listen to the naysayers.  I have the TWS dogleg on my Saiga and it's solid.  It doesn't "move" at all and it locks up tight.  I would personally highly recommend the TWS, and would definitely not consider it a "turd" by any means.
View Quote

I have since found three other shooters that say the same thing.  So, I am going to give it a try.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well......LOL.  Not really because my original thought was to utilize the mint Kassnar SA-85m that I have and it did not have a side mounted rail.  I did not want to alter it and install one.  So, I checked into other ways to mount a red dot or holo sight.  That was a viable option.
View Quote

So keep the SA-85 and use an Attero mount, it's by far the best way to run a red-dot on an AK, that side-mount stuff is bulky and ungainly and annoying, and unless you spend the money to get an RS, it's going to be cockeyed in relation to the bore, I guarantee you. My 85 will do sub 1.5 MOA all day with good ammo, is much lighter than the rest of my AK's, and balances much better than using an Ultimak.

This pic is prior to the re-finishing job I just did, I have since stripped it completely and painted with appliance epoxy, did a hardcore trigger job, and shortened the Attero rail mount to just long enough to fit the red-dot, it's a mean mofo, also put a CRT stock on for adjustability so the wife can use it better.

I'm using the rail mount on the SA-85 as the stock adapter i'm using raises the stock up quite a bit, if you are using a standard stock that sits lower, you can use the Bravo mount which sits lower and closer to the dustcover like this one on my WASR:

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Where could one buy an SA 85 and how much
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Where could one buy an SA 85 and how much
View Quote

Good luck, getting tough to find, expect to pay around 800 for the post ban M model, and upwards of 1400 for a pre-ban.

Had a guy message me yesterday on another forum that he had one to sell, I may have to pass on it, if you want i'll pass the info along to you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#41]
A good quality AKM clone?

How about Atlantic's DDR AK?
Excuse my preference for the Russian wood

Build quality is superb.
Finish is very nice, and seems very durable.
The finish is more of a dark parkerizing finish, not paint.
Rivets are all well done, no deformation.
S/N matches on Gas Tube, Carrier, Top Cover, Trunion, and Recoil Spring.... Bolt does not have any S/N, just EG proof marks.
Trunion, Gas Block, and Front Sight Base are all perfectly straight.

I currently don't have any optic for my AK rifles, so I could only shoot at 50 yards with my technology addicted millennial eyes.
At 50 yards, I can do 2" groups using Wolf FMJ.

Edit:
Seems like you had a budget in mind, if the DDI rifles have CL barrel, I would recommend DDI  
DDR rifles have 4150 CL barrels, while DDI seem to have 4140 barrels

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Now, I  have decided to just keep the Kassnar SA85M mint and purchase a new made dependable AKM.  Prob going to go with a DDI.  So it will have a side rail so perhaps I will give both a try and see which one I like the most.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah gotcha.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A good quality AKM clone?

How about Atlantic's DDR AK?
Excuse my preference for the Russian wood

Build quality is superb.
Finish is very nice, and seems very durable.
The finish is more of a dark parkerizing finish, not paint.
Rivets are all well done, no deformation.
S/N matches on Gas Tube, Carrier, Top Cover, Trunion, and Recoil Spring.... Bolt does not have any S/N, just EG proof marks.
Trunion, Gas Block, and Front Sight Base are all perfectly straight.

I currently don't have any optic for my AK rifles, so I could only shoot at 50 yards with my technology addicted millennial eyes.
At 50 yards, I can do 2" groups using Wolf FMJ.

Edit:
Seems like you had a budget in mind, if the DDI rifles have CL barrel, I would recommend DDI  
DDR rifles have 4150 CL barrels, while DDI seem to have 4140 barrels

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/616/20689206675_78dffb4dc2_o.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/657/20689205385_dea99d5665_o.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5644/20502478179_0368b24d29_o.jpg
View Quote

Great idea.
I do love East German AKM's for sure.  Perhaps I will give this a look at.  Very nice rifles by the way!
Thanks for the suggestion!  Nice to know that the Atlantic EG's are built well.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Lots of good choices.
It's hard to beat a Norinco if you can find one
It's worth the trouble of unbanning a Mak90 IMO
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hmmm....really.  thanks.  I had one about 7 years ago....no mag wells....and it was a pos.  I was not aware that they are a lot better now a days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
WASR

I am not a true die hard AK/AKM guy, I have only had one before (AMD65) and traded it off shortly after getting it.  I have shot them and I am a little familiar with them but always preferred my M1A or one of my ARs.
If the one I got a few week's ago is any example, then I would say that the WASR is worth looking at. It is from Century and was purchased new last year,  I traded an AR upper for this WASR locally.  I did some research and took notes what to look for.  Both of my die hard AK friends said I did very well.  
On my sample, sights are perfect, rivets are perfect, numbers all match.  Chrome lined barrel and chamber.  The mag well has the shims welded in place vice the dimples.  Side optic mount is also installed.  Fit and finish wise, nothing is loose or wobbly, locks up tight.   The metal  finish seems to be a little better than most examples I have seen.  The wood is very nice and fits tight.  The original owner refinished the wood in matte urethane and the wood is now better than most commercial guns on the shelf.  Function, it works every time and is battle rifle accurate (I can cover a 30 round 25 yard off hand/sling group with the palm of my hand). I can only speak for the dozen Romanian mags that I have, but there is little to very little or no wobble, depending on the mag I use.  Mine has a Tapco G2 trigger which is very nice, not glass rod breaking crisp but not mushy either, very functional, no trigger slap.
My only complaints are with the very loose compensator, mine could use another third of a turn but the spring loaded pin keeps it on.  I will eventually replace the third grader size furniture for Magpul MOE stuff, and add an A2 style flash hider.
I am a meat and potato kind of guy when it comes to guns...I look for function and reliability then cost of ownership.  For a "daily driver" that will eat a lot of Wolf at the range out to 100 yards, I think my particular WASR will work out very well.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Get a G kit and an NDS-1. AKM's no matter what country they are from are great. I like mine original.

Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#47]
The ddi with the zhukov stock and moe hand guard will be my next ak.  Ddi makes a fantastic rifle, their customer service seems to be great.  The owner is on the akfiles daily and answers questions and fixes any issues that come up.  

DDI ZHUKOV
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I just picked up a C39V2 and man, this thing is impressive. I generally stay far away from century, due to quality control issues in the past. I'm new to AKs, but this gun has changed my mind about what Century is doing lately. Really nice rifle for 600 bucks. The only other AK I'd really be interested in is the SLR-107....or really any of the Arsenal offerings. But for now, and probably for a long time, the V2 hits the spot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#49]
find a post ban sa85m,have it debanned and you will have an excellent example of an AKM and a rock solid dependable rifle

my debanned SA85m is one of my favorites AK's
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Not exactly an AKM, but still stamped: Vepr.

Best.  Hands down, IMO.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top