Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/26/2015 8:56:23 AM EDT
What is your take on cold bore shots? Is it "mechanical issue" or is it all in "trigger puller" head?
Recently, I had discussion with on of my sniper friends and he was pushing hard theory that this is more of the "mental" issue than anything else...so what you think? Is cold bore shot affecting you that much?
I have recorded today my first group of the day on tape and check what happened...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/f-is9FI3XII[/youtube]

- Rob
AK Operators Union Local 47-74
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking clean or dirty?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Wat..? Mechanical aspect ! Yes there is a mechanical aspect. Too what degree is debatable.
Mental.. No. If there is then you are not a world class shooter. Your mental or physical preps for pulling the trigger should be the same. unless you are under some stress like combat or rushing to get off a shot before your target moves. (hunting)
This is why shooting sports are so challenging !

So... Yes. It's mostly in your head !
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread made me remember this vid:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPWplWu6ZQ

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#4]
On an AK....there are very few accurate enough to notice it. Yes it exists, but CBS is typically close to the warm bore group.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This thread made me remember this vid:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewPWplWu6ZQ

View Quote

That is awesome video. Very good explanation and i like that they touched "clean bore aspect" as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Real thing on precision rifles. Lost in the scatter on an AK.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Given that heat will expand the material of the barrel where at a cold rest the material is contracted, it makes sense that there would be a variation in the POI VS a hot barrel. Tolerances of the AK factored in, probably not a huge variance, I'd be interested in seeing if a pattern could be established,
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given that heat will expand the material of the barrel where at a cold rest the material is contracted, it makes sense that there would be a variation in the POI VS a hot barrel. Tolerances of the AK factored in, probably not a huge variance, I'd be interested in seeing if a pattern could be established,
View Quote

I believe the most difference you'll see in a precision rifle is in a CLEAN cold bore shot--if you don't have a layer of fouling in there, you're changing a variable in the equation.  With AKs, probably not enough to notice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Cold is no myth. 1 shot 1 kill. Stone cold. This photo is of a target 1st shot of the day at 100 yards with a Colt 20" fluted HBAR 1/7 twist with Black Hills ammo. I should have had my son shoot it a few more times for a grouping, but I told him to stop.

Dead center bull stone cold. 100 yards 1 shot.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I was kinda wondering when y'all were gonna show up on ARFCOM...
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The cold bore shot is the one that counts, so you should base your scope adjustments on the first shot if you think it was good - meaning you didn't jerk the gun before it fired and you were dead on the target. Then you retrieve the target, carefully measure and make the scope corrections. After about 30 minutes shoot again to see how the correction worked. Repeat as needed. When done, shoot it cold again the next chance you get. Keep repeating this process until you get what 'wools10' got. Then you KNOW that first shot is a kill if you do your part. Think about it - what hunter ever takes a shot with a hot rifle barrel? It's not the days of the great buffalo massacres. Well, now that I think about it, prairie doggers might warm up a barrel.:)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top