Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2015 10:11:57 AM EDT
All right guys I just got an ak47 and finally took it out to the range yesterday, I put around 30-40 rounds though it at 100 yards and only hit it 7 times.
Yes I know I suck but that's not my question, my question is this:

Does anyone else have trouble with the ak47 iron sights at 100+ yards?

I can barely see the target at 100 yards let alone hit it.
I also heard that an ak47 range is 350-400 yards (really not made for that range but still), how and the hell do you hit something at 300+ yards with iron sights?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
What was 'your target' also, try applying basic rifle marksmanship principles. Much of the same fundamentals that are used with any other rifle, transfer right over to the AK.

Either this, or you have some other more serious issues (as in actual hardware problems with your rifle). Also, what kind of 'AK-47' (I hate that btw, that would be like me venturing over to the AR15 side of this forum and telling people I own an M16...) do you own?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
While I wasn't having as much trouble as you are I did struggle to see the front sight on mine.  I put in a Krebs Fast Acquisition rear sight which is basically a stock sight with a widened notch as well as a XS Sight Systems stripe front post which has a white stripe and a tritium insert.  Between those two things I found using the irons MUCH easier and was making better and more consistent hits.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, the first thing to do is to set the rear sight on '1'. Now go to the 25 yd range, and using the front sight tool, set the point of impact 1" low and on center. You can now return to the 100 yd range where you should be on the paper, or you can stop at the 50 yd range first and make an adjustment if needed. You should be on the bulls eye at 50 yds. This is about as good as it gets. The bottom position on the rear sight is actually exactly the same as the '3' position but is called the 'battle sight' position. It's a 300 yd zero but will deliver torso hits all the way out to 300. I prefer to have the sight on '1' for shooting at the range. The '3' or 'battle sight' setting will throw you quite high at 100, like over a foot. If you wanted to shoot at 200 yds, for example, you would set the rear sight on '2'. This is obviously also going to be high at 100 yds, but only about 6".
Once all that is done, and you're still unhappy with the results, you'll have to consider trying better ammo. 'Golden Tiger' is reasonably accurate and is one of the inexpensive imported steel case brands.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What was 'your target' also, try applying basic rifle marksmanship principles. Much of the same fundamentals that are used with any other rifle, transfer right over to the AK.

Either this, or you have some other more serious issues (as in actual hardware problems with your rifle). Also, what kind of 'AK-47' (I hate that btw, that would be like me venturing over to the AR15 side of this forum and telling people I own an M16...) do you own?
View Quote

I own a hungarian model, also It's not so much as the iron sights that are off it's just I (as in me) have a had time seeing out to 100+ yards with iron sights, Is there a way to put better iron sights on an ak?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I had quite a bit of trouble with the basic AK iron sights myself.

Partly because they were black on black, and partly because the front sight is HUGE compared to some other rifles.

IIRC the front sight is supposed to cover a torso-sized target at 300m, which I could believe, because it dwarfed my 8" targets at 100 yards.

Eventually I did get somewhat more proficient with them, after many rounds, however I think something like a Krebs rear sight, or even better a Tech-Sight rear sight would help a lot more.

AK irons just aren't meant for any kind of real precision work.

As it is, I found that adding some orange-over-white nail polish (the orange has shiny bits ) to the front sight meant I could at least pick it up faster.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Appleseed program.  For shooting the iron sights well, you can't beat the instruction they provide.  Once you get the good habits established and weed out your bad habits, you will be surprised how well you can shoot with the irons.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I typically shoot an 8" circle printed out from Targetz. At 100yd the front post covers most of the paper,  but I can put every shot within that circle with the irons. At 200yd the entire target is about the size of the tip of the front sight post,  and I can generally hit paper most of the time.

The AK sights are designed to hit a man sized target at those ranges,  not an 8" circle. Not great sights for consistent group shooting. Look into the various sight options including Tech Sights and a thin target front post,  they will help quite a bit if your main issue is seeing the target to begin with.

Funny enough my most accurate iron sighted AK is one where I use the irons completely wrong. I have my AES 10B RPK set up so that the POA is visualized as a point just above the front post and between the two sight hood ears, so I can see the target.  Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#8]
KNS makes a thinner front sight post for AKs.  That should make them a little bit easier to use for small targets.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Like the others said, target makes a difference. Especially for course iron sights like on a AK. For 100 try 8"-10" orange or yellow sticker target. A white paper plate on card board or a similar sized black circle painted on white paper should get you there also. You need enough contrast and size to see the target while focusing on your front. And like 1Saxman said start at 25, a 2-3" orange sticker is good for me at that distance. AK sights are not great but they are adequate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#10]
How are you "holding" wen it comes to sight picture ?? Are you covering up a portion of the target with the front sight post or are you using a "6 o'clock" hold where the target is sitting on top of the front post ?? This can make quite a bit of difference especially as range increases and target size decreases. The 6 o'clock hold keeps the target just above the front sight post at all times and generally works better for the iron sights found on the AK.

If you can't see it you're not likely to hit it. Adjust your front post to where your POA is a few inches lower than your POI. If you're shooting a 100yd. target you should be aiming at the bottom edge of the bullseye (or 6 o'clock position), adjust the front post so when you aim at the 6 o'clock the bullet strikes higher and into the center of the bullseye. This keeps your target visible at the ranges the AK was designed for, since you're not partially/totally covering the target with the front post.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:44:10 AM EDT
[#11]
You will ultimately save time and money by taking a good carbine course. It will make a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
The AK iron sights are a bit hard to see. However, 100 yards shots should be fairly easy to do for most people. But keep in mind most people won't be hitting bullseye at 100 yards but it will be "good enough" at that range.

So I mean really I think to make a good assessment if you're on the right track you should post what your paper looks like at 100 yards.

If your shots look something like this paper I found on the image search, then you are on the right track:

Just need to relax more and take up some basic marksman course. Or get this book: http://www.amazon.com/Sight-Alignment-Trigger-Control-Big/dp/1939812674 and it'll teach you all you need to know. Of course the book talks about American build weapon but reality is it's really good for any long guns.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top