Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/20/2015 5:29:27 PM EDT
I have been looking high and low for a review of this rifle. It sold out pretty quickly when it went up for sale but no website or youtube channel seems to have a review of it. Anyone here actually get one? Opinions?
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think any of them have actually been shipped yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at a WASR.......really.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have been looking high and low for a review of this rifle. It sold out pretty quickly when it went up for sale but no website or youtube channel seems to have a review of it. Anyone here actually get one? Opinions?
View Quote

Here lately I get the biggest kick out of "Reviews." Let's just say that you can find a review to say just about anything you want them to say about any rifle you can think of...

I hear good things about all PSA stuff. The only exception is one local Tactical/LGS  owner who has nothing good to say about PSA. He says that almost all of his gunsmith work with new home built rifles comes from fixing PSA stuff and that its junk. He's generally a good and honest guy, so I can't imagine why he would say this stuff if it weren't true. But he sure goes against everybody else who offers an opinion on their stuff.

I think the best reviews come from waiting until others try the rifles or either you can be the test crash dummy and take one for the home team. It's like my C39V2. There are folks out there who will tell you straight up that it's a piece of shit and yet if you corner them, they've never even held one. It's just an opinion because they have a friend, who has a cousin and his girlfriend's brother does have one and he says its shit, so it must be.

In fact, my V2 is one of the best shooting, looking, performing rifles I've ever owned and I love it. I would recommend it to anyone wanting a milled AK. I would welcome the opportunity to meet at the range for a couple days and test it heads up against any other AK currently available. But note I didn't proclaim it to be the best. The lack of side rail, cleaning rod, and bayonet lug is real important  stuff to some folks; just not to me. Some folks just don't want anything to do with an AK without a com bloc heritage and  I'm down with that too...
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
PSA pulled all the rifles when they discovered headspace issues. I'm not sure that any of the rifles or barreled-receivers were ever shipped to customers or "reviewers."
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PSA pulled all the rifles when they discovered headspace issues. I'm not sure that any of the rifles or barreled-receivers were ever shipped to customers or "reviewers."
View Quote

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. Figured there had to be some type of information on these things.

I plan on being in the AK market soon and am just trying to gather information on all the models out right now sub $800
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Ddi has a stamped ak for around $800
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You can buy a psa ak right now, its called IO
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ddi has a stamped ak for around $800
View Quote

$700 for stamped, $800-$850 for milled. They are what i'm leaning towards now
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn, I got excited when they said they were gonna sell the stripped barreled receivers for cheap, have a stack of parts that'll complete it just gathering dust in my shop......
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Damn, I got excited when they said they were gonna sell the stripped barreled receivers for cheap, have a stack of parts that'll complete it just gathering dust in my shop......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have the MOE stocks taught you nothing? Patience is a virtue!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
For $800 or less you're not getting a better rifle than a wasr.

None of the other offerings have a combloc barrel or receiver. Everything else isn't worth buying unless it's got those.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

None of the other offerings have a combloc barrel or receiver. Everything else isn't worth buying unless it's got those.
View Quote

I normally would agree but have been really looking forward to seeing how some of the new US-made nitride barrels perform.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

The mighty OPAP bristles at your assertions of WASR superiority!
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still take the wasr over a yugo.

Standardized design.
CL barrel
Based on the Henderson tests the receiver is better built.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:46:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I really wanted a PSAK47 when they were first released since the price was attractive and I had extra stock sets to use, but it's been over a month since they announced the headspace issue and no update since then.  Went ahead and spent the PSAK47 money on a Saiga last night.  I still want a PSA but no longer care to order one the day it's released.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:39:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol! Finally got it and it's pretty cool, but they waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overthought the receiver end of the thing, it's kind of hilarious with their little screws and blocks and such, doesn't follow the simple effective design philosophy of the AK at all, probably break fairly easily, i'm gonna fill in all that nonsense with fiberglass and epoxy and make it monolithic as it should have been.  And once again, hole drilled for QD swivel but no hardware, cheeseball nickel-and-dime stuff, I pulled a QD barrel and bolt off a cheapie blackhawk stock I got with a build kit for an AR and found a nut that fit in my parts box and got it to work for zero bucks.

The little storage area is nice though, fits an AK cleaning kit with room to spare for patches, optic batteries etc. Stock does look good on the rifle, but for the price and mods I have to do to make it work it's a little much, they'd do better to dump that ridiculous attachment system and just make a simple block like Arsenal and Tapco plastic stocks have and add the hardware for the QD, I won't be buying another one if they don't.

It would look good on the PSA AK....if PSA had an AK....lol
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Standardized design.
CL barrel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standardized design.
CL barrel

Henderson was using NPAPs, which use commercial-market M92 receivers. The OPAP is a military-grade M70B3 without the fun-switch. It's a completely different kettle of fish. As for CL - I've never shot-out the barrel of any semi-auto firearm, chrome-lined or not. Thinking you need chrome lining on a semi-auto firearm is like thinking you need a mine-resistant vehicle to drive to the grocery store.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Henderson was using NPAPs, which use commercial-market M92 receivers. The OPAP is a military-grade M70B3 without the fun-switch. It's a completely different kettle of fish. As for CL - I've never shot-out the barrel of any semi-auto firearm, chrome-lined or not. Thinking you need chrome lining on a semi-auto firearm is like thinking you need a mine-resistant vehicle to drive to the grocery store.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standardized design.
CL barrel

Interesting statement. Other than the thickness differences between the two styles of receivers,  what do you think makes the  the NPAP/M92 receivers "commercial grade"  while the OPAP receiver is not?  Yugo military used both types of receiver in their issued rifles,  as the M92 and M70AB2T were issued to Yugo/Serbian military and made for military export. At some point someone in Serbian arms development decided  that the 1mm receiver was adequate for both standard issue rifles.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
What is the deal with the IZ132L by Kalashnikov USA? Says it's a Saiga receiver with CL and hammer forged barrel. Only 700 on classic firearms.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:42:56 PM EDT
[#20]
it's an overpriced converted Saiga being deceptively marketed as made in USA
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#22]
What scope is that?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:23:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Interesting statement. Other than the thickness differences between the two styles of receivers,  what do you think makes the  the NPAP/M92 receivers "commercial grade"  while the OPAP receiver is not?  Yugo military used both types of receiver in their issued rifles,  as the M92 and M70AB2T were issued to Yugo/Serbian military and made for military export. At some point someone in Serbian arms development decided  that the 1mm receiver was adequate for both standard issue rifles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Standardized design.
CL barrel

The "M70AB2T" was never issued to Yugo/Serbian military forces; it was never even made by Zastava. It's a product made solely by Century, presumably because they ran out of M70AB2 kits. The closest thing Zastava ever made was the M70AB1, which never went into service and was never mass produced.

I refer to the NPAP receiver as "commercial grade" because the NPAP had no military equivalent. Yes, it (purportedly) uses M92 receivers, but every receiver-related issue I've seen (of the type reported by Henderson) has been with either an NPAP or M92, which begs the question "are Zastava making those receivers strictly for commercial export?"  The NPAP/M92 receivers issues seem to be fairly rare, but OPAP receiver issues are virtually non-existent.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#24]
I have seen photos of the AB2T type in use by Serbian military/police, will have to dig them up again.

I would be interested to know what Henderson, etc. would find if they put an O-PAP on the line. Since the issues seem to be suspected to relate to heat treating, I doubt Zastava is doing anything differently with the 1.5mm receivers. If their process is faulty it would have affected possibly their whole commercial product line for a given number of batches that were treated improperly.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have seen photos of the AB2T type in use by Serbian military/police, will have to dig them up again.

I would be interested to know what Henderson, etc. would find if they put an O-PAP on the line. Since the issues seem to be suspected to relate to heat treating, I doubt Zastava is doing anything differently with the 1.5mm receivers. If their process is faulty it would have affected possibly their whole commercial product line for a given number of batches that were treated improperly.
View Quote

You're more than welcome to spend the time looking for AB2Ts in action, but everyone of them was made by Century because that "model" was invented by Century. Zastava never made an AB2T. As I said, the closest thing Zastava ever made was the M70AB1, few of which were ever produced. The JNA rejected the AB1 in favor of the AB2, so while some AB1s may have been "liberated" during the war, you're far more likely to find them here (in kit form) than over there. You will definitely not find any AB2Ts anywhere but here.

It's certainly possible that some batches of OPAP receivers suffered from the same heat treatment issues alleged to have affected some NPAP/M92 receivers, but given that the OPAP uses the same receiver as many of Zastava's military-export firearms, I suspect they'd be a little more on top of QC. Only Zastava knows the truth.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

That looks nice Blaine, I like it with the long handguard. Are there threads under that muzzle cap?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There is no way to guarantee threads it is hit or miss
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

How overpriced is it really?

Everyone says that Siaga Sporter can easily be converted for around $140 depending on stock options, etc.

$699 - 140 = $559

Last year's (and the year before, and the year before that) pricing not withstanding (yes, we understand, some of you guys bought them for $299; I missed that boat) how over priced is it really?

Are you suggesting I should get an unconverted one (I would do it for fun) for $540?  

But the real question is:  to people who don't want the conversion fun, is $19 too exorbitant of an amount to pay for the work and no shipping fees on the parts?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Everyone says that Siaga Sporter can easily be converted for around $140 depending on stock options, etc.

$699 - 140 = $559

Last year's (and the year before, and the year before that) pricing not withstanding (yes, we understand, some of you guys bought them for $299; I missed that boat) how over priced is it really?

Are you suggesting I should get an unconverted one (I would do it for fun) for $540?  

But the real question is:  to people who don't want the conversion fun, is $19 too exorbitant of an amount to pay for the work and no shipping fees on the parts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$699 - 140 = $559

It's over priced compared to similar rifles on the market.  There are other AKs on the market with solid reputations for the same price point.

Why anyone would pay that much for a very basic Saiga conversion when PAPs, WASRs, and others can be had for the same price range is beyond me.

Saigas made sense when they were cheap.  These days, not so much.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Saigas made sense when they were cheap.  These days, not so much.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

$699 - 140 = $559

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$699 - 140 = $559

I'd pay $540 for an unconverted Saiga, but I'm doing the conversion because I can do them better.

Wait a minute, this started as a PSAk thread didn't it. Oh well...guess it has run it's course until they produce an update.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top