Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 11:57:59 PM EDT
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/polish-ak47-7-62x39mm-rifle-wood-detail.html?Itemid=0

So I am 100% new to AK's ... this will my first ever AK (never even shot one before).

I am buying this on a budget as this is is going to be just a fun out at the desert or camping shooting gun ... nothing serious ... BUT I want something that is a solid AK and accurate or else it's just no fun!

Wanting to stay ion the 600 odd dollar range to be honest But I am okay with going up to like 800 (No More Then That) for something with a little more quality and what not.

I have looked at like the WASR and what not and that thing looked and felt horrible ... I cannot see myself buying that. I held the N and O-Pap and really liked those, they felt solid, didn't look like the fit and finish was horrible like the WASR and one that is on my list.

I Know 100% to stay away from I/O's so I know those are out. I considered like the C39 but seemed to weird to me and didn't have the side scope mounts like I want.

SO ... I came across this Polish AK47 made by Atlantic Firearms ... It is a Polish AK47 kit put together with an american made barrel and receiver (which I am fin with, I don't need Russian or whatever to have the best of the best).

I LOVE the wood finish on these over the cheap WASR and PAP's as well ... I want that clean wood finish like this and not cheapish light colored wood made out of this wood like those are.

So I am coming here to AK47.net and posting my first thread asking everyone if they own this AK, shot it before or know anything about it.

Like I said I am staying on a budget so no suggestions to buy a $1K Plus AK Rifle or something .. it;s not gonna happen ... this is the most I will spend and this is actually Much more then I wanted to spend going into buying one of these.

So I would love to hear what you think about this AK and am I on the right track for a budget minded AK but with added benefits that cheaper options lack for my first AK?

Thanks so much :)

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
In before someone suggest you save $300 more for an Arsenal...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:41:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got the fixed stock and underfolder polish rifles from Atlantic. I've only made one range trip with them and have only put maybe 180ish rounds through each. They both functioned great and zeroing was a breeze, seemed accurate enough for an AK. The fit and finish on them are fantastic. They look great in person.

Were the WASRs you were looking at the newer versions? Every new one I've seen lately has a good finish and the stock sets were actually pretty nice.  Keep in mind the furniture on the Polish rifles is surplus and might have some dings and cosmetic blems.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got the fixed stock and underfolder polish rifles from Atlantic. I've only made one range trip with them and have only put maybe 180ish rounds through each. They both functioned great and zeroing was a breeze, seemed accurate enough for an AK. The fit and finish on them are fantastic. They look great in person.

Were the WASRs you were looking at the newer versions? Every new one I've seen lately has a good finish and the stock sets were actually pretty nice.  Keep in mind the furniture on the Polish rifles is surplus and might have some dings and cosmetic blems.
View Quote

Everything I've read lately says the WASR is the new king of the hill... The one's I've see look awesome too...js
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/polish-ak47-7-62x39mm-rifle-wood-detail.html?Itemid=0

So I am 100% new to AK's ... this will my first ever AK (never even shot one before).

I am buying this on a budget as this is is going to be just a fun out at the desert or camping shooting gun ... nothing serious ... BUT I want something that is a solid AK and accurate or else it's just no fun!

Wanting to stay ion the 600 odd dollar range to be honest But I am okay with going up to like 800 (No More Then That) for something with a little more quality and what not.

I have looked at like the WASR and what not and that thing looked and felt horrible ... I cannot see myself buying that. I held the N and O-Pap and really liked those, they felt solid, didn't look like the fit and finish was horrible like the WASR and one that is on my list.

I Know 100% to stay away from I/O's so I know those are out. I considered like the C39 but seemed to weird to me and didn't have the side scope mounts like I want.

SO ... I came across this Polish AK47 made by Atlantic Firearms ... It is a Polish AK47 kit put together with an american made barrel and receiver (which I am fin with, I don't need Russian or whatever to have the best of the best).

I LOVE the wood finish on these over the cheap WASR and PAP's as well ... I want that clean wood finish like this and not cheapish light colored wood made out of this wood like those are.

So I am coming here to AK47.net and posting my first thread asking everyone if they own this AK, shot it before or know anything about it.

Like I said I am staying on a budget so no suggestions to buy a $1K Plus AK Rifle or something .. it;s not gonna happen ... this is the most I will spend and this is actually Much more then I wanted to spend going into buying one of these.

So I would love to hear what you think about this AK and am I on the right track for a budget minded AK but with added benefits that cheaper options lack for my first AK?

Thanks so much :)

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/polishak47fix%20(1%20of%201).jpg
View Quote

Find a WASR in the condition you want. I'm not saying this isn't a good gun but for the same price you can get better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not gonna happen ... I have ZERO need to spend 1200 plus dollar on an AK ... Just not gonna happen

I do not want to spend 800 but willing to to get a slightly better quality AK over the somewhat entry level Very rough WASR's and PAP's

I can in No Way justify spending even this much ... not to mention spending over a thousand.

Like I said in my OP ... no need to recommend anything else thats expensive ... it;s not even an option.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:56:50 AM EDT
[#6]
As Far as the WASR .... I have seen 3 different ones in 3 different gun shops locally and they all looked like absolute $#!t

I would never spend money on that thing, it had horrible wood furniture on all of them, the finish was about as rough and bunged up as it gets and all of them had weird crap seeping from the receiver and rivets and just looked like junk ... Was In NO WAY impressed at all with that thing

Maybe if I got one from Atlantic I may get something better but I would just end up spending a bunch more on some nice wood furniture that puts me into this prince range anyway (cause the wood on the WASR no matter how new is horrible looking And feeling).

I WISH it was a nice AK cause really thats my price range I want to be ... I just don;t want to spend that much and afterwards wish I would have spend a couple hundred more on something better and nicer that doesn't look and feel like junk.

I Did though like the N-Paps I saw at the gun shops ... those looked and felt SO much nicer then the WASR and I was kinda sold on the PAP, but it still had the junky wood and still a bit so so ... but this Polish seems to have much nicer furniture and a nicer fit and finish it seems along with the chrome lined barrel ... I will be shooting cheap steel from my AK so I would assume that would be a big plus for me.

I for some reason think the extra 200 invested in this Polish over the cheaper options would be much wiser money spent.

Still up in the air waiting for it to come back in stock ... but i have yet to talk to anyone in a forum about AK's

So here I am seeing what ya'll think :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As Far as the WASR .... I have seen 3 different ones in 3 different gun shops locally and they all looked like absolute $#!t

I would never spend money on that thing, it had horrible wood furniture on all of them, the finish was about as rough and bunged up as it gets and all of them had weird crap seeping from the receiver and rivets and just looked like junk ... Was In NO WAY impressed at all with that thing

Maybe if I got one from Atlantic I may get something better but I would just end up spending a bunch more on some nice wood furniture that puts me into this prince range anyway (cause the wood on the WASR no matter how new is horrible looking And feeling).

I WISH it was a nice AK cause really thats my price range I want to be ... I just don;t want to spend that much and afterwards wish I would have spend a couple hundred more on something better and nicer that doesn't look and feel like junk.

I Did though like the N-Paps I saw at the gun shops ... those looked and felt SO much nicer then the WASR and I was kinda sold on the PAP, but it still had the junky wood and still a bit so so ... but this Polish seems to have much nicer furniture and a nicer fit and finish it seems along with the chrome lined barrel ... I will be shooting cheap steel from my AK so I would assume that would be a big plus for me.

I for some reason think the extra 200 invested in this Polish over the cheaper options would be much wiser money spent.

Still up in the air waiting for it to come back in stock ... but i have yet to talk to anyone in a forum about AK's

So here I am seeing what ya'll think :)
View Quote

You were looking at the new WASRs?  They have really nice blonde wood furniture and are pretty much the opposite of what you described.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:23:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You were looking at the new WASRs?  They have really nice blonde wood furniture and are pretty much the opposite of what you described.
View Quote

Not sure what the New WASR's are ... I would assume my local gun shops don't carry years old AK's

So unless they are all buying old stock I wold assume the ones I saw were new.

Not sure though I guess ... I just know the ones I saw I wouldn't spend a few hundred buck s... defiantly not 600 plus bucks at all.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't think about it..........get the Polish rifle, I can't support a company like
Century, their track record is horrible......I don't care how nice the new WASRs look

Plus I would take polish parts over Romanian any day
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say go with the Polish. It's more than the WASR, but it seems like it's really what you want.

The nickel plated bolt carrier looks good too.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:06:11 PM EDT
[#11]
You were obviously looking at old Wasr's, because the new ones we get at the store look incredible. Nice finish, & BEAUTIFUL wood. And by old, I mean anything older than 6 months. The long skinny tag attached to the trigger guard of every Century gun shows the build date.  GARY
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Don't think about it..........get the Polish rifle, I can't support a company like
Century, their track record is horrible......I don't care how nice the new WASRs look

View Quote

It's not just how nice they look, the new WASRs are built incredibly well.  I can understand your feelings on Century though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's understandable, but I handled and shot one of the new WASR's, I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I was in the market for one
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The rifles from Atlantic are very well done, get the Polish AK and be done with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nO7UPdh6iM
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
So in regards to Century ... seems some guys don't care for them ... what is about Century that many guys do not like???

I have no clue about AK's so any info is all new to me.

Now I am kinda wondering about the WASR ... I think maybe I saw old stuff ... if you are saying "Old" means like 6+ month old stuff.
I looked at these around the beginning of this year but I am sure they were not new stock and had been sitting there a while maybe.
I would really love to save a couple hundred bucks but not at the risk of fit and finish and overall better quality parts and build that the Polish AK from Atlantic may have.
Plus they put these together at Atlantic from a US made receiver and barrel (barrel is made by green mountain or some kind of name like that) and a full fledged Polish AK parts kit
And from what I hear Atlantic Totally knows what they are doing and are remarkable at AK's and building pristine rifles.

Just taking in all the info I can get right now is all .... I have no clue what to look for, I just know what looks and feels right and the WASR's I saw were not right and felt horrible, ... the N and O-Pap's were SO much better and I really liked those but they lacked the chrome barrel the Polish AK that I would like I thin along with the wood furniture on the Polish by far outshines the cheap looking wood on the cheap WASR's and Pap's from what I saw.

Now of course this is my thought from nothing but a picture and video from AK Operators Union (the one linked above I saw a few weeks ago).

So at this point I am just learning what I can and asking questions so I can make a more informed decision and hopefully the right one the first time for my first AK on a budget.

Thanks for any further info you may have for me :)
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ras-ak47-detail.html?Itemid=0

I am starting to look in the RAS47 from Century Arms that comes from Atlantic as well.

Watching a few video from AK Operators Union now to see how this thing stacks up.

For Only $579 ?!?!?!?!?

Ya I don't know ... This could be another option on a budget ... I still would assume the Polish is much better but $250 bucks better??? I dunno

Anyone heard anything good ro bad about the RAS47???
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:35:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Review seems a bit So So .......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_C4pvGTAhg

Still may be worth the extra for the quality Polish probably.

And these videos I think are whatever ... not a fan or the torture test they do but really failed often ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoInLpKQK8s
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I'd take a WASR over an RAS pretty much every time. Beyond vague things like "it didn't look good" what was wrong with the WASRs you've seem? New ones have blond hardwood if that helps. The older ones generally had laminate furniture.

It sounds to me like you are way too wrapped up in aesthetics. Blond wood is by no means "cheap" and can be easily changed with a simple oil or shellac finish. The dull gray phosphate on the WASR's steel is a better defender against rust than prettier blued finishes. It also makes a great base for paint. AKs are extremely easy to paint: http://modernrifleman.net/2015/04/16/how-to-refinish-your-aks-metal-parts-using-appliance-epoxy/

Since you're watching the AKOU videos, you have seen that they beat the hell out of a WASR without issue right?

If you are dead set against the WASR, the Atlantic Polish builds seem pretty nice. The DDI AKMs also seem to be getting good feedback and are built on like new Hungarian kits.

Edit: New WASRs have wood exactly like the set on that pictured RAS.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd take a WASR over an RAS pretty much every time. Beyond vague things like "it didn't look good" what was wrong with the WASRs you've seem? New ones have blond hardwood if that helps. The older ones generally had laminate furniture.

It sounds to me like you are way too wrapped up in aesthetics.
View Quote

I want a certain look Yes .. but I know I can get that afterwards so thats not the main thing (but would be nice to have the wood I want without buying a new kit of redoing the finish)

I Do though want quality (without of course spending over a grand to get it) ... and from what I can read and watch videos of the WASR is a solid offering at the price and if the new ones are better that is great.

But it seems the Polish is just overall much better form what I can tell and read as well.

Ya the more I watch videos and read about the RAS47 I am marking that one off the list

Really in all reality it's down to "Maybe" a WASR if I can get my hands on new one somehow and check it out ... if not that then the PAP ... I really liked the Pap over the Wasr for sure in the sore ... and then of course the Polish .... $250 more may be worth it ... Just Don't Know

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:59:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I appreciate the added information. As I see it, if you are looking for a solid AK and aren't married to a particular country of origin (a totally viable excuse in the AK world), the WASR is the way to go. The Atlantic gun seems like a great choice and if your budget allows, by all means go for it. Some of the examples I have seen came with insanely nice furniture. Atlantic knows their stuff when it comes to AKs. That said, it does not offer any additional functionality over the WASR. It sounds to me like you would like to stick to a budget so you will have to determine whether or not the additional coin is worth it. As ugly as the WASRs are out of the box, they are easy to dress up and are one of the few remaining AKs available to us that are built at a military facility. If you look a few threads down from this one, Henderson Defense talks about abusing converted full auto WASRs and how they last an amazingly long time.

I own an AES-10B from the same Cugir Romania factory as the WASR. After some shellac and paint, it looks much better and also happens to be one of my favorite blasters. It truly is not far behind my Saiga in terms of overall build quality.

No matter what you buy, I still recommend getting the rifle from Atlantic. They are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:36:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No matter what you buy, I still recommend getting the rifle from Atlantic. They are great to deal with.
View Quote

Definitely without a doubt I will be ordering from them!

My local shops sell like WASR's for $699 and Paps for $750 .... so I am paying about the price from Atlantic as I would int he shop ... reason being is I am in CA. so I have to buy the $45 bullet button and my shop is a $60 transfer fee ... so thats $105 extra above and beyond the Atlantic price which is about the same in the end as what they sell in my shop.

BUT ... I do not trust my shops to sell me a Perfect quality control checked guaranteed perfect AK .... I know they just get em in stock and sell what they get regardless of built, cant, etc. etc.

And I hear absolutely Nothing but amazing things about them so regardless what I buy it looks as if it will be coming from them no matter what.

I am looking into this new WASR more right now to see what it's all about ... And I will also be calling Atlantic to ask about them as well and make 100% sure they are the new ones if I decide to save the money and go that route.

So that being said if I take the Polish out of the equation and I am down to say the WASR vs. PAP .... which one there? II really liked the feel and fit and finish of the O and N-PAP in my local shop ... and they are only a few bucks more then WASR ..... I would be in the air on that one is the Polish was not an option.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 2:42:33 AM EDT
[#22]
If I had to pick between a new WASR and a N/OPAP (Which I didn't, I got a Polish Sidefolder instead), but if I had to pick, I'd take the WASR.

If only because it doesn't use odd furniture. While the aftermarket for the Yugo pattern rifles is picking up a bit, there are thousands of different furniture sets you can pick up for the regular, stamped WASRs and the like.

The vast majority of aftermarket anything for the AK rifle is built for the stamped, 1.0mm receiver AKM pattern guns.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I had to pick between a new WASR and a N/OPAP (Which I didn't, I got a Polish Sidefolder instead), but if I had to pick, I'd take the WASR.

If only because it doesn't use odd furniture. While the aftermarket for the Yugo pattern rifles is picking up a bit, there are thousands of different furniture sets you can pick up for the regular, stamped WASRs and the like.
View Quote

So you like your Polish AK? You got the Polish sidefolder from Atlantic?

So now another question ... I would For Sure buy new furniture for the WASR if for some reason I decided to buy it over the Polish AK .....
Where do they sell quality wood and quality finished wood furniture for these WASR AK's (or others)???

The Polish has a good chance of having the wood I want but the WASR will not for sure ... I see Atlantic sells a couple wood furniture kits but they are $200

Is there a place that specializes in Wood for AKM's like these?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#24]
WASR's have chrome lined barrel now? Is that something new in these updated models???

The more I read about the "New" WASR's they seem pretty solid from what I can see.

Hmmmmm ... for my limited plinking having fun shooting use this may now be the best option for me and save that $260 for other stuff.

REALLY thinking about this new WASR now ..........................

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:30:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
WASR's have chrome lined barrel now? Is that something new in these updated models???

The more I read about the "New" WASR's they seem pretty solid from what I can see.

Hmmmmm ... for my limited plinking having fun shooting use this may now be the best option for me and save that $260 for other stuff.

REALLY thinking about this new WASR now ..........................

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/wasrnew%20(3%20of%203).jpg
View Quote

They have always had a chrome lined CHF barrel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a Polish underfolder from Atlantic.  It was nice.  Everything worked.  I just decided I'm not an AK guy, so I sold it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Well CRAP!!!

The more I read about this new WASR 10 an d the reviews it's get from just about everyone I think I may be considering it

I really would like to save almost $300 over the Polish AK if possible (AK is $260 less plus the taxes I pay when transferred ... bout 280 something)

And it looks like that's all Atlantic has is the new versions!!!

Tel Me More About This NEW WASR !!!!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Resale value is going to better on a polish AK as well
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

BUT ... I do not trust my shops to sell me a Perfect quality control checked guaranteed perfect AK .... I know they just get em in stock and sell what they get regardless of built, cant, etc. etc
View Quote

Atlantic will not sell you a "perfect quality control checked guaranteed perfect AK" either. Atlantic just does a cursory inspection to make sure nothing glaringly obvious is wrong with the rifle. It offers a little piece of mind for those buying AKs sight unseen, but they'll be the first to tell you that it's not an exhaustive inspection.

As to your original question, the polish rifle will certainly be nice, but a WASR or OPAP will be of military grade quality.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 2:55:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Atlantic will not sell you a "perfect quality control checked guaranteed perfect AK" either. Atlantic just does a cursory inspection to make sure nothing glaringly obvious is wrong with the rifle. It offers a little piece of mind for those buying AKs sight unseen, but they'll be the first to tell you that it's not an exhaustive inspection.

As to your original question, the polish rifle will certainly be nice, but a WASR or OPAP will be of military grade quality.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BUT ... I do not trust my shops to sell me a Perfect quality control checked guaranteed perfect AK .... I know they just get em in stock and sell what they get regardless of built, cant, etc. etc

Ya I think I made it out to be more then it was ... I even read their inspection and ya it's nice to have the pros check out out anyway ... I am new to this Platform so I wouldn't know really what to look for at all in the store so I prefer Atlantic to give it a once over and know I'm getting a newer model as well.

I think I have decided I may save the almost $300 and get the New WASR.

Seems like a Solid damn AK now and really for my needs I don't need anything special or amazing you know.

And the more I have researched and asked questions on these newer production WASR's over the last 6 odd months they are pumping out some killer stuff for still the same cheap rice.

That sounds really good enough for me.

I am just looking for reliable and accurate ... I can make it pretty later if I want. Plus like you said with the WASR I am getting Military Grade Quality!!! And that's good enough for me! :)
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Well Crap !!!

This thing is back in stock and I'm thinking about this now instead of the WASR again.

Couple new threads and video kinda made me think I should rethink the WASR.

I know it;s stupid but crap I dunno. :p
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Since you live in CA, pick one quick while you still can!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 2:05:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a reason common suggestion is common.

OP - Save $300 more and get an SLR-107FR.  If not that, then buy the WASR.  If not that, then buy a used TGI FEG AMD.  If not that, then buy a SAR-1.

You'll notice that I'm recommending rifles that are as authentically foreign as possible.  Not so much because foreign rifles are always better, but more so because they may not be available in a decade.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 4:26:01 PM EDT
[#34]
My wasr I bought in 2011 had the  olderplywood furniture. I switched it to us made synthetic.

Its a trooper. I can get 4" 5 round groups off a ruck at 100 yards. It has an xs tritium front sight which might hurt precision. Its a solid gun and Im happy. Ron's thread on fully auto barrel life is a huge +1 for the WASR

Im not sure what you want from an AK. Thousands of rounds without failure? 4" at 100 yards.

Its spent a lot of time in the woods sleeping with me in the dirt. Its been capsized in a canoe, shot a few deer.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top