Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/30/2015 3:52:50 PM EDT
This is a repost from my thread on the AK forum, just trying to get some more opinions.

Hey all, I just got finished shooting with the new ALG AKT installed in my Bulgarian kit build. Let me start off by saying that I like the AKT alot more than the G2 that was previously installed. With that being said, it wasn't my best day...

As I was leaving the range I smelled something burning: AKSU 1 - Eberlestock 0

In taking apart my AK and cleaning it I use hot soapy water to get rid of the corrosive salts. Not thinking about it, I dropped the gas tube / upper handguard into the bucket of water. Well, apparently whatever the Bulgarians used doesn't agree with hot soapy water.

Does anyone know what I can use on the handguard to return it to all it's glory? Thanks,

Tom
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The upper looks to be laminated, so you might be able to make it look really nice. I would hit the whole thing with Citristrip and remove that ugly finish. Depending on what is underneath, I would then apply a few coats of garnet shellac to the bare wood.

As for the booster, soak it in acetone and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Bulgarians sometimes used a tinted shellac or paint on the lower to match the upper, or vice versa. Sometimes a nasty poop brown color.

Unfortunately you might find that the lower and upper won't match after refinishing. The lower is sometimes a very dense walnut that won't accept stain or oil very well, either. I've had two that just wouldn't take anything even after repeated cleaning.

As mentioned above, a darker tinted shellac is probably the best way to get a close to factory look. Better chance of matching the two parts using a darker tint.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bulgarians sometimes used a tinted shellac or paint on the lower to match the upper, or vice versa. Sometimes a nasty poop brown color.

Unfortunately you might find that the lower and upper won't match after refinishing. The lower is sometimes a very dense walnut that won't accept stain or oil very well, either. I've had two that just wouldn't take anything even after repeated cleaning.

As mentioned above, a darker tinted shellac is probably the best way to get a close to factory look. Better chance of matching the two parts using a darker tint.
View Quote

The matching issue is indeed a concern. I was not even thinking that when recommending the shellac.

That said, shellac can bring two non-matching pieces of wood closer in color. Stain will often make things worse.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a hold of Zrecto on the AKforum.net.
Does great work.

Zrecto
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You can do it yourself, under that brown paint is some really nicely grained wood. It almost looks like fancy walnut. I used my favorite Truoil to do it and it's very pretty.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can do it yourself, under that brown paint is some really nicely grained wood. It almost looks like fancy walnut. I used my favorite Truoil to do it and it's very pretty.
View Quote

This, although I use teakoil finish instead of tru-oil.  Cheaper and not as glossy.  

Directions here.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-finish/finish-wood/page-finish-wood.shtml
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, what is that stuff on the flash hider? I've never seen anything like that before.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 3:27:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hey, what is that stuff on the flash hider? I've never seen anything like that before.
View Quote

I think the booster melted the inside of his case/bag.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Ouch. Looks like a job for a propane torch. But just thinking, who puts a hot gun into a bag? That barrel had to be smoking hot to do that. Oh, I know, the guy who drops his wood hand guards into hot, soapy water. Man, you better get a grip before you really screw up.

Take the upper wood off the gas tube. Use a stripper on both guards, lightly sand, apply some red/orange tinted shellac.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top