Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 12:37:03 AM EDT
Looks to me the bullet at 0:26-0:30 Keyholing in the video? Anyone else notice it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCgmfbAbP-Q

Maybe just poor video editing?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
This has been discussed before in a separate thread, but bullets stabilize in flight shortly after it leaves the barrel, usually from inconsistencies in the bullet itself or the rifling of the barrel. That's most likely what you're seeing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This has been discussed before in a separate thread, but bullets stabilize in flight shortly after it leaves the barrel, usually from inconsistencies in the bullet itself or the rifling of the barrel. That's most likely what you're seeing.
View Quote

Did not know and sorry for posting it but thanks for the information thought I would share!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

i can see a wobbly bullet stabilizing, that one appears to be tumbling.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I would say that it looks normal to me...remember this is an AK.  AKs do tend to yaw a little more than some other guns.  It will stabilize soon...it not it becomes a "flier" and we all know about them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, same here. Even though the vid has been posted before. Also, remember its a full auto 74, so it has had mag dumps through it and more than likely wearing out the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Holy crap, remind me not to run a can on my aks......
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#7]
That's some serious fish tailing going on there. That round is designed to be unstable but not like that.
Vickers puts up some good videos.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say there is a issue with that rifle.  There isn't a yaw but it is tumbling while in flight. That will make the round key hole. I would guess the demo rifle he used has a worn out BBL.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's some serious fish tailing going on there. That round is designed to be unstable but not like that.
View Quote

This. A bullet key holing in flight like that means it was under stabilized from barrel twist. It should not do that in air. A flyer should not be key holing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Holy crap, remind me not to run a can on my aks......

View Quote
I don't think I would try this even though some do.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I repeated the "this is normal and will stabilize" line from above in another forum.

Geeze you'd have thought I slapped somebody's mother based on the reactions!

Let's just say the the majority of the folks from that other place hold a different opinion and tend to believe the barrelin the above video is toast! lol

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I saw this video before... Im glad someone else is pointing that out.  I thought it was my imagination or something.
That looks (to ME) like its far more than just an unstable bullet.  By the end of the shot it looked like it was beyond the point of being able to become stable... but it wasnt a very clear shot either.  

That rifle has probably been shot to hell though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I repeated the "this is normal and will stabilize" line from above in another forum.

Geeze you'd have thought I slapped somebody's mother based on the reactions!

Let's just say the the majority of the folks from that other place hold a different opinion and tend to believe the barrelin the above video is toast! lol

View Quote

I am of this mindset as well
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. A bullet key holing in flight like that means it was under stabilized from barrel twist. It should not do that in air. A flyer should not be key holing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hi,

Watch a video of an 76mm anti-tank round leaving a barrel and it does exactly the same thing, but settles down fairly fast.  The M855 round out of a 1-7" twist does the same at right out of the barrel.  Spin stabilized projectiles need a short distance to stabilize.

Regards:
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top