Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/27/2015 9:11:35 PM EDT
I have a 74 that I poured boiling water down the barrel and the overflow really messed up the finish on my wood handguard.   Is boiling water necessary or can you just use the hose outside?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Some folks do a water/Ballistol mix. That might work better for you.

On their site they list a 90% water to 10% Ballistol ratio.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I just take the five seconds it takes to remove the handguard and avoid all these complicated problems

I use the hose outside and fairly recklessly just hose the whole damn thing down.  The boiling water is only used because it evaporates fast.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I just run the tap water as hot as it will go, flush the barrel and gas system.

As mentioned, hot water is only because it dries faster. I would have no qualms about just hosing it out with cold water. All you are trying to do is remove corrosive salts.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Windex original with ammonia d.
Use generously.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Plain cool water is all you need.  Hot evaporates faster, as said above.  

To make it easier, I shoot non-corrosive in my 74's with wood stocks and corrosive in the ones with poly stocks.  I can flood the crap out  of the ones with poly stock with hot water and not hurt anything.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
No water or windex bs, just very heavy use of hoppes #9. I've gone through thousands of rounds of 5.45 and 7.62x54r surplus and never had any corrosion issues.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No water or windex bs, just very heavy use of hoppes #9. I've gone through thousands of rounds of 5.45 and 7.62x54r surplus and never had any corrosion issues.
View Quote

I've done the same and used water.  No issues.  

Very heavy use of hoppes is doing nothing that the water from my garden hose isn't doing.  Both methods just flush away the salts.  

I just prefer to do it with two cents worth of water instead of something I have to go buy at the store.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tried that once, didn't work out well with the TX humidity.

I just use the hose outside, its hot enough that it basically heats up the water in the hose to almost boiling hot minus a few degrees. lol
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#10]
For me.....I just disassemble and rinse the parts and barrel with cool or warm tap water. Never any rust.
Early on, I bought into the various fancy methods of 1-part this and 2-parts that....blah-blah-blah
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Use generously.
View Quote

Not necessary. There's nothing special in Windex that makes the potassium chloride residue more soluble. All you need is water.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#12]
A simple water based gun cleaner is all you need, just use enough to flush out the salts.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#13]
One water hose, one air hose.  GTG.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I spray it good with Simple Green/water mix, the water washes out the salt and SG removes oil. Then I scrub areas where carbon builds up with a good cleaner, then wash out with plain water, oil heavily, wipe off excess oil. done.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#16]
You know... I used AK in the service, and now I own quite a few of them..
I just run some patches of oil and wipe any excess off. I have yet to get my AK type rifles rusty... No water, no Windex.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#17]
The ignorance here is pervasive, but I'm tired of writing on this subject except to say that while other methods work, if you want to do the best you can for the rifle, wash it with the water:Ballistol emulsion at about 10:1. Follow up after it dries with either Ballistol or other CLP of your choice.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The ignorance here is pervasive, but I'm tired of writing on this subject except to say that while other methods work, if you want to do the best you can for the rifle, wash it with the water:Ballistol emulsion at about 10:1. Follow up after it dries with either Ballistol or other CLP of your choice.
View Quote

Works for me.  I have a compressor now so it's pretty fast.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 9:50:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a PSL that shoots old 7.62 x 54R corrosive ammo.  I did a great deal of reading and research on the subject.

Here's the information as I understand it.  The corrosive salts (which allow ignition at low temperatures [i.e. a major reason the Germans failed to conquer Russia in WWII]) are what remains after shooting corrosive ammo.  

My understanding is that there is nothing that will "deactivate" the corrosive salts, they just need to be washed away.  Water is the cheapest form.  Hot water allows for evaporation to remove the water faster.

I remove the handguards and all parts via a field strip.  All field stripped parts are boiled in a tin pan on the stove and the rest of the gun is drenched in hot water outside.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Been using this for years, just run one down the bore and wipe around the muzzle and chamber before regular cleaning. Treat it like a black powder rifle and never had any issues.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
All of that mixture crap is a waste of money. It doesn't deactivate salts. All you need to do is wash the salt away.

Whatever you end up deciding on just make sure you do it. I have a friend who didn't realize he put about 1000 rounds through his AMD and while most of it is fine now the inside of the gas tube looks like a rusted out 74 Cadillac that's soent its entire life right next to the salt mine in upstate NY.

But for what it's worth it still works.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#22]
You can't just wash it away when it's buried under carbon and oil. You gotta clean that shit off first or the water will just run right over it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#23]
That's why I like the hot soapy water method, seems to do a better job of loosening up old carbon & oil.
The Ballistol & water mix has always been popular with black powder shooters but seems to me that most of the Ballistol is just running out of the barrel. But about 6 months ago I tried Ballistol for the first time as a post-rinse cleaner & lube, since it mixes with water it rinses out easier and seems to take more deposits with it than Breakfree CLP or Remington Oil.
Whatever you use to rinse out the salts use plenty of it, I like to run a quart to 1/2 gallon thru the barrel & receiver and everything else gets submerged in a bucket of hot soapy water for 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2C7TtpjVls
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2C7TtpjVls

OP, this is the answer you seek. After years of corrosive chinese surplus the Ballistol / water solution just plain works. Follow with Hoppe's #9 if the rifle is really dirty.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can't just wash it away when it's buried under carbon and oil. You gotta clean that shit off first or the water will just run right over it.
View Quote

You can take care of that using a regular bore cleaner either before or after the Ballistol solution. Usually Ballistol solution / #9 / Ballistol solution works great...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:17:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I always had good results with Windex as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Use generously.

That's what I use.

I always had good results with Windex as well.

Yep windex is mostly water so it works great. But cheaper to use tap water.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You can take care of that using a regular bore cleaner either before or after the Ballistol solution. Usually Ballistol solution / #9 / Ballistol solution works great...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was a response to the post directly above it that said just wash it out with water. A dunk in the stream is fine if you can't do a thorough cleaning right away but, water isn't going to do shit if the salts are covered in oil and carbon. Clean out the crap thats covering the salt so the water can get to it then re-oil to displace the water. Everyone has their pet products, if Ballistol works for you, use it. I have been doing just fine with other products.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That was a response to the post directly above it that said just wash it out with water. A dunk in the stream is fine if you can't do a thorough cleaning right away but, water isn't going to do shit if the salts are covered in oil and carbon. Clean out the crap thats covering the salt so the water can get to it then re-oil to displace the water. Everyone has their pet products, if Ballistol works for you, use it. I have been doing just fine with other products.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The displacing water was one of the things that led me to using Ballistol. Especially on a stamped and riveted rifle like the AK where water can migrate to places that you can't get to. The Ballistol follows the water and remains behind after the water evaporates. Glad to hear there's other water based products that work equally well.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I shoot nothing but corrosive in my 74 and the worst area to keep clean is the FS. I use a old contact solution bottle filled with soapy water and take a can of WD40 with me to the range. Hose out bore and bolt face along with FS and then hose with WD until you clean at home. No issues
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Balistol or MPRO-7
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:44:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Use generously.
View Quote

AK myth.

Ammonia and metal can be problematical.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:08:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The displacing water was one of the things that led me to using Ballistol. Especially on a stamped and riveted rifle like the AK where water can migrate to places that you can't get to. The Ballistol follows the water and remains behind after the water evaporates. Glad to hear there's other water based products that work equally well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spend your money on whatever you want. Water has worked for me and others for years and I have zero rust or other issues in my 74, 47, and mosin.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I chase any residual water out of the nooks and crannies with my air compressor followed by a hose down with WD 40 (the cheap generic Wal Mart brand.  Not for lube or corrosion, but to chase out water.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Hi,

I use go the ballistol water route when using corrosive ammo.  Ballistol is a water misable oil and relatively non-toxic.  You need something that can work on the fouling (copper, carbon) and still wash away the chlorate salts left behind by the primer.  After the water evaporates the Ballistol will leave a protective layer of oil.  Ballistol works well as its an old school CLP developed to clean corrosive ammunition residue, wood, and leather by the Germans before WW I.

Best Regards:
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Put that sob in the bath with ya . Scrub the bore down with a bore mop and the gas tube with a 12 gauge mop
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed - especially those who think they have to add something to water, like Ballistol, Windex, or whatever.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just take the five seconds it takes to remove the handguard and avoid all these complicated problems

I use the hose outside and fairly recklessly just hose the whole damn thing down.  The boiling water is only used because it evaporates fast.
View Quote

and because the hotter the water, the more easily salts will dissolve into solution.

I use warm water but still comfortable to touch.

I shoot a lot of 7n6 and what I do, is before I leave the range, I swab the chamber and bore with a little Windex on a patch (Windex evaporates almost instantly and leaves no residue) and give a quick wipe down to any other surfaces exposed to powder residue. When I get home, I remove the gas tube and set that aside for the moment. I then take a "Big Gulp" cup of warm water from our bottled water server and carefully pour it down the chamber and then the gas block being careful not to dump it into the lower handguard. I wipe the bolt/carrier/piston group and inside receiver with warm water then I use compressed air to blow it all dry. At that point I clean as normal using a generous amount of Balistol. The gas tube I clean with 80/20 water/Balistol and a shotgun swab. I check it every day for a couple days to make sure no rust is forming (never is).It sounds more complicated then it really is. It actually takes less time then gingerly dabbing harsh solvents on patches and q-tips.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top