Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/31/2015 6:47:02 PM EDT
First off, I know this question has been asked before. but I saw a WASR 10 the other day at the gun shop and at first couldn't believe it was a WASR! the stock was actually pretty nice wood and not plywood with nails in it like other WASRs i've seen. The metal parts were clean and didn't have really any machining marks or scratches. These new production WASR 10s look very nice to me! From reading previous forum posts comparing the N-PAP to the WASR,, it seems like the main draw to the N-PAP is quality and fit and finish. My questions is, does the quality, fit and finish of these new WASRs as well as the other pros, give the WASR 10 the edge over the N-PAP? I'm not knocking the N-PAP, my brother has one and they're nice, I just didn't love the feel of the stock, I got a little cheek slap. I'm just trying to decided between them and seeing these nice looking WASRs has tempted me. opinions and experience is welcome!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/cai-ak-47-wasr-10-7-62x39mm-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Go with the WASR. It's what I'm getting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
There's been some weird reports of the N-PAPs having soft metal. I was thinking about one for my next ak, but I'm unsure now. If the parts aren't being hardened properly, I'm certainly not laying down good cash for that.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]
WASR. There's one pictured in a thread here that has over 100,000 rounds through it before being put out to pasture with both trunions and receiver intact...

The same thread contains the experiences of 3 failed receivers on NPAPs within a 1 month period.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

WASR. There's one pictured in a thread here that has over 100,000 rounds through it before being put out to pasture with both trunions and receiver intact...

The same thread contains the experiences of 3 failed receivers on NPAPs within a 1 month period.
View Quote
Very interesting! Those results surprise me. After checking out my brother's N-pap it seems very rugged and well built while, the WASR 10/63 doesn't, but appearances can be deceiving. do you know the link to that thread?

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were buying one of the two, I would go WASR, if for no other reason than it is standard AKM, giving you more options for furniture or other upgrades.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very interesting! Those results surprise me. After checking out my brother's N-pap it seems very rugged and well built while, the WASR 10/63 doesn't, but appearances can be deceiving. do you know the link to that thread?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob Ski from AKOU had a receiver fail either from running it over in a SUV or dropping it on concrete. Then Ron Cheney of Battlefield Las Vegas had 3 receivers fail within a few weeks of being put into service. Some are wondering if it's a "batch" problem, but Rob Ski says he has an informant from the PAP plants confirm that civilian grade PAP's aren't up to the same standard as military ones. Still highly and hotly debated, but interesting.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:30:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I just worked the Miami Fl. Gun Show for the largest dealer in Florida. Even though I worked in the handgun section, I checked out the military area before the show opened. The Wasr's looked the best of any Romy rifles I have ever seen. Especially the wood. Really nice. That being said, while I do like the Yugo guns, they don't have a chrome lined barrel, while the Romy's do. In the past, I would have gone with the Yugo gun, but after what I saw on Saturday, the Romy gets my vote.  GARY
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my first AK here recently and had the same decision to make.  I went with the WASR for the CL barrel and standard AKM furniture.  FWIW my sample size of 1 new production WASR seems very well made, has nice rivets and is straight.  In fact it was almost zeroed right out of the box which blew me away.  Again, sample size of 1 but I'm happy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had good luck with wasrs.  I had a friend that had a Yugo that was a complete POS so that has kinda tainted the Yugo pool for me.  The Romanian rifles are pretty good IME.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I've had a WASR for a few years now, think mine was made in '13, no complaints. Mine came out of the box with a straight front sight base and zeroed in @ 25 yards. Furniture was mediocre and the parkerized finish is thin but it runs great and you can find plenty of threads about how good the WASRs are. Light weight, chrome lined barrel and AKM compatibility sealed the deal for me.
PAPs are great rifles, but I kinda liked the older OPAPs better than the NPAPs. Years ago the OPAPs were better made rifles, period. That gap is gone IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#11]
You can't beat a WASR these days.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just worked the Miami Fl. Gun Show for the largest dealer in Florida. Even though I worked in the handgun section, I checked out the military area before the show opened. The Wasr's looked the best of any Romy rifles I have ever seen. Especially the wood. Really nice. That being said, while I do like the Yugo guns, they don't have a chrome lined barrel, while the Romy's do. In the past, I would have gone with the Yugo gun, but after what I saw on Saturday, the Romy gets my vote.  GARY
View Quote

Which gun show in Miami? And how much where they going for?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]
wasr
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I got the WASR and i'm happy with my decision, that's for all the advice guys!
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Didn't the AK Operators Union test trash the Yugo rifle?

My older WASR has been great.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

ya but they're trying to get another one to test to see if it was a one off thing, most N-PAP users love their rifles, I shot one, it is really nice

if you want to be safe go with the O-PAP (reinforced receiver), AtlanticFirearms has them for sale for $609 right now
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I got the WASR and i'm happy with my decision, that's for all the advice guys!
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm guessing the one in tamiami park, where the fair is at

He probably works for shoot strait
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
A new AK shopper here... I didnt know about all the models till the last few weeks I have been looking.
I want wood furniture and something under $800.
Have been looking at Wasr10, N PAP, DDI AK47, and the RAS47.

Rob from AK4774 told me he rated the DDI slightly higher than the Wasr 10 but, both of them over the N PAP.
How is the wood on the new Wasr 10 rifles?

I really wanna a nice wood furniture for mine so I will most likely go with the Wasr 10 at Atlantic or the DDI wood AK47.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 1:14:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Lately the quality of the NPAP has declined while the WASR'S have improved. Right now I'd go WASR all day. I just had a bad NPAP. So over gassed that it was unpleasant to shoot. Of all my AK'S it was the worst. AK operators Union recently did the same torture test on the WASR and NPAP. the WASR did great and the NPAP failed.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:48:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lately the quality of the NPAP has declined while the WASR'S have improved. Right now I'd go WASR all day. I just had a bad NPAP. So over gassed that it was unpleasant to shoot. Of all my AK'S it was the worst. AK operators Union recently did the same torture test on the WASR and NPAP. the WASR did great and the NPAP failed.
View Quote

Yea, Rob mentioned that to me in an email..... His vids are pretty cool to watch.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ya but they're trying to get another one to test to see if it was a one off thing, most N-PAP users love their rifles, I shot one, it is really nice

if you want to be safe go with the O-PAP (reinforced receiver), AtlanticFirearms has them for sale for $609 right now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they stopped making OPAPs and replaced them with NPAPs, if OPAPs are back that's good news.
Still recommend a WASR as a 'best entry AK' choice but based on what I've seen I like the older OPAPs over the new NPAPs.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I've owned both. I still have the wasr

The npap was my first AK it was really accurate but I couldn't get over the stock size and non chrome lined barrel. It didn't run well with tapco mags and Korean mags fit super tight they almost wouldn't lock in.  

So I ended up buying a wasr and I ran the two side by side for a few months and ended up selling the npap.

The wasr has been perfect, it works with all mags and has AKM furniture.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#24]
WASR 10
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 10:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought they stopped making OPAPs and replaced them with NPAPs, if OPAPs are back that's good news.
Still recommend a WASR as a 'best entry AK' choice but based on what I've seen I like the older OPAPs over the new NPAPs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NPAP didn't replace the OPAP, they were both made concurrently. The OPAP is now (apparently) out of production, at least in civilian form, or Century has decided to stop importing it. But Atlantic now has some and they are IMHO one of the finest rifles rifles available, minus the surplus furniture, that is.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#26]
I just got a new WASR 10 from Atlantic....$589 delivered.  Very slight left cant was easily fixed by drifting the front sight slightly right.  Mags fit tight, furniture is quite nice but I'm gonna refinish the blond wood to red wood and gonna add a different muzzle brake.  Anyway these WASR's are really nice with Combloc chrome lined barrel that have a threaded muzzle and nicely crowned.  It also comes with bayonet lug and a surprisingly nice trigger. Sorry but what good is an AK if you can't add a bayonet?  Gun internals were kind of dirty cosmoline.
(Especially the gas tube) so I first did a very complete cleaning, and then lightly lubed with white lithium grease.  I also pulled out the cheap retaining clip that retains the trigger group pins and replaced it with a Krebs retaining plate. Then it was off to the range.  Once I got the irons zeroed, I was shooting 4 inch groups at 50 yards and I'm a terrible shot.  Shot about 400 rounds of Wolf, Tula, and WPA.   If I can shoot 4 inch groups, you'll shoot 2 inch groups.  Compared to my Arsenal SGL, these WASR's are a bargain.  In fact the trigger on this WASR is significantly better than the trigger on my SGL-31.  Anyway, I think these new WASR's offer excellent value given the features and quality.  I'm pretty confident that you can beat the shit out of these new WASR's and they will ask for more.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I just got a new WASR 10 from Atlantic....$589 delivered.  Very slight left cant was easily fixed by drifting the front sight slightly right.  Mags fit tight, furniture is quite nice but I'm gonna refinish the blond wood to red wood and gonna add a different muzzle brake.  Anyway these WASR's are really nice with Combloc chrome lined barrel that have a threaded muzzle and nicely crowned.  It also comes with bayonet lug and a surprisingly nice trigger. Sorry but what good is an AK if you can't add a bayonet?  Gun internals were kind of dirty cosmoline.
(Especially the gas tube) so I first did a very complete cleaning, and then lightly lubed with white lithium grease.  I also pulled out the cheap retaining clip that retains the trigger group pins and replaced it with a Krebs retaining plate. Then it was off to the range.  Once I got the irons zeroed, I was shooting 4 inch groups at 50 yards and I'm a terrible shot.  Shot about 400 rounds of Wolf, Tula, and WPA.   If I can shoot 4 inch groups, you'll shoot 2 inch groups.  Compared to my Arsenal SGL, these WASR's are a bargain.  In fact the trigger on this WASR is significantly better than the trigger on my SGL-31.  Anyway, I think these new WASR's offer excellent value given the features and quality.  I'm pretty confident that you can beat the shit out of these new WASR's and they will ask for more.
View Quote

I'll agree on the trigger, better than my SLR I believe.

What's the best way to measure "cant"?  Mine is zeroing too far to the left.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top