Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/22/2015 8:19:20 PM EDT
here's my situation:  I live in an AWB state so the bayonet lug needs to be removed, the muzzlebrake & the folding stock needs to be pinned on my new 107-31.  With that being said, should I have the barrel cut down and sight moved back and build a Krebs 103K-S clone since my muzzlebrake needs to be permanantly attached anyway?  (My local range ONLY goes out to 300yds) For the time being, it will be my only AK while I have my M92s being comverted to Krinks and shoot my (2) SCARs. I need to make a decision by the weekend, so any input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

I'm in a modding mood
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you have to have it modded, might as well go the whole hog.

Chop dat sucka.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My SLR104-31 Krebs 103k-s clone. My smith has not cut done the rod yet as seen in photo.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#4]
looks good!  -who did the work on it?  what do u need to do to cut down cleaning rod?
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]
In ten years, people as going to be asking themselves why in the hell they ruined a good rifle by doing this mod.  The rear sight past 200 yards becomes worthless since it is not calibrated for the shorter barrel and faster rate of bullet drop.  Not only that, but the AK74 brake collects more carbon than any other muzzle device that I've used.  If you are dead-set on doing this mod, at least use a Bulgy flash hider instead of the brake.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looks good!  -who did the work on it?  what do u need to do to cut down cleaning rod?
View Quote

Thanks. Guns and Gear in Lavonia, GA did all the work for me. Top notch stuff. Nothing special to cut the cleaning rod, a hack saw or Dremel would suffice. I forgot to instruct my smith to shorten the rod is all. Should be taken care of soon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In ten years, people as going to be asking themselves why in the hell they ruined a good rifle by doing this mod.  The rear sight past 200 yards becomes worthless since it is not calibrated for the shorter barrel and faster rate of bullet drop.  Not only that, but the AK74 brake collects more carbon than any other muzzle device that I've used.  If you are dead-set on doing this mod, at least use a Bulgy flash hider instead of the brake.
View Quote

To have something different from everyone else. Plus, I get a much better balance with less weight on the muzzle. Not worried about the iron sight calibration being off as I plan to run a micro dot. Finally, in my case which might be different for the OP, but I plan to SBR it when Form 1 times start coming back down. I will enjoy it as-is for the time being.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To have something different from everyone else. Plus, I get a much better balance with less weight on the muzzle. Not worried about the iron sight calibration being off as I plan to run a micro dot. Finally, in my case which might be different for the OP, but I plan to SBR it when Form 1 times start coming back down. I will enjoy it as-is for the time being.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it's ruining a good rifle IMO and rather impractical especially with the brake not being removable.  Now, I was not aware that you were eventually going to SBR the rifle.  That changes everything.  Why on earth would you want this half-assed front end setup?  Get a Bulgarian FS/GB combo (AK-142B) while they are available and do it right if you are going to SBR the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Form 1 times are down right now for paper submissions.

Fastest they have been in years.

If you have a trust eforms are 30-45 days
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you are dead-set on doing this mod, at least use a Bulgy flash hider instead of the brake.
View Quote

unfort, FLASH HIDERS are banned in my state, I can only use a muzzlebrake.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 11:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

not sure about paper, but eforms are around 90 days now
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was going to say the same thing. My buddies Form 1 just went through like yesterday and the turn around time was ~86 days. Last year around November I got a Form 1 back in only 28 days via eForm.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:19:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well, it's ruining a good rifle IMO and rather impractical especially with the brake not being removable.  Now, I was not aware that you were eventually going to SBR the rifle.  That changes everything.  Why on earth would you want this half-assed front end setup?  Get a Bulgarian FS/GB combo (AK-142B) while they are available and do it right if you are going to SBR the rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saying that it is a "half-assed" setup is a little excessive, but I understand where you are coming from. I was unaware that the CR FSB/GB were available to purchase. Looks like K-Var has them in stock. I may just pick on up for when I go SBR. I like the option a lot better than the Bolton/Venom FSB/GB for sure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Make it the way you want it .
Have you ever considered moving
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Make it the way you want it .
Have you ever considered moving
View Quote

Im ALWAYS looking to relocate.  Visiting TX next month, hopefully I can leave NJ!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks.

My latest approval in April took 40 days.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top