AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CanvasBack:

Out of curiosity was there a rough round count range that the 106 bolts began to fail?
View Quote

It would be a HUGE leap on my part but I would conservatively estimate 50,000+ rounds minimum.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:

It would be a HUGE leap on my part but I would conservatively estimate 50,000+ rounds minimum.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Interesting, thanks for the response and info!
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
@HendersonDefense, do you have any Kalashnikov USA products on the line? If so, how are they holding up?
Link Posted: 1/1/2023 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]

- All of our .223/5.56 Bulgarian Arsenal SLR-106UR's are off the line because we can't get replacement bolts for them. The lack of steady 5.45 supply was the reason behind the 106-series but all of the bolts have failed OR they firing pin hole erosion is so pronounced that we have excessive protrusion. We are only using the 5.45's for military training at this time because of the lack of availability of 5.45 on a monthly basis.

- Prior to the lack of 5.45 availability, we had rebarreled all of our Arsenal 104's with AK-Builder CHF barrels and they actually improved the function. We had issues running Tula, Red Army Standard and Brown Bear with the factory barrels (and even older Century AK74's built on Bulgy kits with non-chrome lined US barrels) because cases would get stuck. Once we swapped all the barrels out with the AKB's, we could any of the varieties of 5.45 ammo.

- All of our line guns have had KNS pistons installed and we have seen a significant decrease in blown trunnions. I was in the armory last Thursday and saw one with a blown trunnion but my staff told me that it went on the line back in JAN of 2020. Definitely worth the cost for us.

- I plan on ordering some the PSA Type-56 clones because the "real" ones are throughout Africa and Asia and correlate to our foreign weapons classes for military personnel.

- We installed the US-made "dong" grips for our AK's and initially expected them to not last very long. I only thought of this because it seems American AK parts have to go through several generations to get it "right" but they are still mounted on the WASR's and NOT wobbling. Our American dong lowers are actually holding up better than the factory Romy units.

- We made some "AK-103's" with PSA barrel, gas block, FSB and furniture from WASR's that had key-holing barrels. All the parts were an easy install without any issues and between the "103" muzzle brake and piston, the platform is noticeably easier for our customers to control.

V/R
Ron  

View Quote
have you ran any WBPs or FB AKs? I’m curious to see how they hold up. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ObjectiveInjury:
@HendersonDefense, do you have any Kalashnikov USA products on the line? If so, how are they holding up?
View Quote

Yes, we have a few of their 9mm AK's on the line. One thing I asked the armorers to do when converting was to add a steel pin to the carrier to trip the sear. I didn't want them to add any extra heat to the carrier (welded-on trip surface) and possibly affect it's lifespan. We've had them for maybe two years or more and they haven't suffered from any issues. We also use it to train Army and Air Force personnel so they get plenty of use.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:
have you ran any WBPs or FB AKs? I’m curious to see how they hold up. Thanks!
View Quote

We've had some factory FB's on the line for about 6-7 years. They don't get THAT much abuse since it has to be requested and not a lot of people are familiar with FB. On a side note, we use them for military training to teach RPA's and others about the various-calibered AK's they will likely encounter. They haven't had any issues BUT the translucent green magazines didn't hold up on the line. I'm not sure if they've changed the design since but these mags were probably a bit older than the guns which were all new inventory sitting here in the States for quite some time.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:08:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the updates. Moderators please tack this post to the top. Mao’s politburo and central committee members approve of such an action :-)

PSA may be the savior of the AK community after all. I am glad to here that US made stuff is holding up well. It will hopefully get better with time. Kudos to AK builder as well.

Hearing good things about KNS pistons make me feel better as well about the choices I have made to run my AKs suppressed.

I was curious if you are running KUSA KR-103s on the line at all? Good to hear about the KR-9s.

Disappointed to hear about issues with Arsenal. Sigh
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 3:49:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FullAssault] [#9]

We've had some factory FB's on the line for about 6-7 years. They don't get THAT much abuse since it has to be requested and not a lot of people are familiar with FB. On a side note, we use them for military training to teach RPA's and others about the various-calibered AK's they will likely encounter. They haven't had any issues BUT the translucent green magazines didn't hold up on the line. I'm not sure if they've changed the design since but these mags were probably a bit older than the guns which were all new inventory sitting here in the States for quite some time.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

As always thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2023 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing I forgot to mention was that I purchased five of the Pioneer Arms 7.62x39 AK's from Atlantic to get them another shot. My manager let there salesperson know that we had issues in the past and the salesperson assured us that these were NOT the same type that we had bought years ago from InterOrdnance.

The fit and finish was excellent, the furniture was was nice but the grip, IIRC, looked like a Bulgarian salmon-colored plastic grip. We installed some Romanian bakelites on them along with KNS pistons and they are still running strong six months later.

V/R
Ron
View Quote
These the "forged" series ones? How are the bcg and trunions doing? I heard headspace opening up was a previous issue on these.

Great option and price point if they are fixed now....
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:17:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

No, they're thick stem/short lug pattern. A Galil bolt could work, but even those are starting to dry up.
View Quote

AoA does carry thin-stem 5.56 bolts as well; those possibly could work for what they need.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
@HendersonDefense

I'd be curious to hear about your experience with the vz.58 you have on the line next time you drop by this thread.
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#13]
We have four Vz58's on the line and I know for a fact we've lost two pistons and two locking pieces. The rifles were pulled off the line for the broken pistons because they wouldn't cycle but amazingly enough, the locking pieces were cracked and continued to operate. They were only discovered after disassembly for routine cleaning.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 1/12/2023 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Curious, how did the piston fail? Did it bend or crack? Do you have a (very) rough idea of round count?
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Toddles:
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Curious, how did the piston fail? Did it bend or crack? Do you have a (very) rough idea of round count?
View Quote

It's been so long ago that we couldn't even begin to come up with a timeline or round count. As far the piston, it was cracked at the junction of it and the carrier.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Is it true that you have some factory Arsenal's that haven't failed after 300,000+ rounds?
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#17]

V/R
Ron
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Lol, huge leap or not, you know it just became "the Gospel according to BFLV",  right?

Originally Posted By Brenvana:
Is it true that you have some factory Arsenal's that haven't failed after 300,000+ rounds?

Wow at the first posts we've been getting lately on this site.

Well welcome to arfcom and the dark side and all that. I'll bite, can you cite a source claiming 300K with no failures? Pretty sure I haven't seen it in this thread but I could be wrong about that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:44:33 AM EDT
[#18]
The ak47 subreddit has linked this thread to the SAM7 line of Arsenal rifles claiming they've had 300,000+ rounds through them without failure. I haven't seen that claim in this thread though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#19]
reddit
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Yes, we have a few of their 9mm AK's on the line. One thing I asked the armorers to do when converting was to add a steel pin to the carrier to trip the sear. I didn't want them to add any extra heat to the carrier (welded-on trip surface) and possibly affect it's lifespan. We've had them for maybe two years or more and they haven't suffered from any issues. We also use it to train Army and Air Force personnel so they get plenty of use.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Do you have a photo of the steel pin to trip the sear? Or is that a top secret, felony, First Amendment, auto key card, violation?
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Shadyman:

Do you have a photo of the steel pin to trip the sear? Or is that a top secret, felony, First Amendment, auto key card, violation?
View Quote

Since the trip isn't there it needs something. My best guess is they drill a hole and press a steel pin into it to activate the trip. It would be very simple.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:57:23 AM EDT
[#22]
The ak47 subreddit has linked this thread to the SAM7 line of Arsenal rifles claiming they've had 300,000+ rounds through them without failure. I haven't seen that claim in this thread though.
View Quote

Yeah there has been no specific mention of them getting to 300k.  Just that the Arsenal milled receivers are extremely strong and have lasted well over 100k rounds without failing unlike their stamped counterparts
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top