Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 12
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 2:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KnightWhoSaysNi:
Hey Ron,

I'm sorry if you've already stated this and I have searched but what brand of ammo and flavor do you run in the 7.62 AKs? I'm assuming you guys run the type with the least amount of issues.

Thanks again!
View Quote

Hi,

We are only using Wolf in our AK's. It's the 122/123 FMJ grey steel case ammo.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I guess the only thing left to break would be a barrel because we've experienced broken bolts, stocks receivers and both front and rear trunions.  

The lower portion of the carrier that keeps the bolt in place cracked from the main body earlier today. This is a Bulgarian-made  5.56mm "Krinkov" imported by Arsenal, Inc here in Las Vegas. I will get records of the date is came on the line but it's at the very least 12 months old. This weapon doesn't have any other issues or malfunction listed on the maintenance log and has been unremarkable up to this point.

The strange thing about this break is that the we don't actually know when it broke other than when it was cleaned four days ago, there was no evidence of a fracture or crack in that area. The weapon didn't come off the line because of a malfunction but rather for a weekly cleaning and inspection. The durability of the AK is pretty amazing considering this weapon suffered a catastrophic failure of the carrier and continued to function until it was disassembled for cleaning.

One would expect the weapon to have functioning issues if the portion of the carrier that is used to push rounds from the magazine and into the chamber was completely cracked.  

V/R
Ron

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By HendersonDefense:
Well, I guess the only thing left to break would be a barrel because we've experienced broken bolts, stocks receivers and both front and rear trunions.  

The lower portion of the carrier that keeps the bolt in place cracked from the main body earlier today. This is a Bulgarian-made  5.56mm "Krinkov" imported by Arsenal, Inc here in Las Vegas. I will get records of the date is came on the line but it's at the very least 12 months old. This weapon doesn't have any other issues or malfunction listed on the maintenance log and has been unremarkable up to this point.

The strange thing about this break is that the we don't actually know when it broke other than when it was cleaned four days ago, there was no evidence of a fracture or crack in that area. The weapon didn't come off the line because of a malfunction but rather for a weekly cleaning and inspection. The durability of the AK is pretty amazing considering this weapon suffered a catastrophic failure of the carrier and continued to function until it was disassembled for cleaning.

One would expect the weapon to have functioning issues if the portion of the carrier that is used to push rounds from the magazine and into the chamber was completely cracked.  

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgsafe.org/e471f00.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/e58c749.jpg
View Quote

Round count?

Also would like to echo the many thanks for the info, it is invaluable and thank you for taking the time to educate.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]

V/R
Ron

https://i.imgsafe.org/e471f00.jpg

https://i.imgsafe.org/e58c749.jpg
View Quote

Did you guys put the sear trip in by building a weld? Heat issue?

Never seen that failure on an AK.

Awesome stuff Ron thanks for all your posts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Again I gotta say huge thanks for the most informative thread ever, it's value cannot be overstated as there is no way I could ever afford to shoot enough rounds to learn this stuff on my own.

Ron if you have a paypal account please send me the address as i'd like to buy y'all a beer.

Definitely coming to Vegas this summer and will be stopping by for an afternoon of happy-switch goodness.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#6]
bump
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Its amazing to me that even with threads like this,  we still have to regularly entertain "trash can gun"  posts all over this forum.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Where? I take care of every one I come across.

Please post a link to the post, if it's in this forum.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By mancat:

Its amazing to me that even with threads like this,  we still have to regularly entertain "trash can gun"  posts all over this forum.

Where? I take care of every one I come across.

Please post a link to the post, if it's in this forum.

I think mancat may be referring to (Garbage Disposal) GD.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#11]
This is such a amazing thread thanks for all the info it is so cool to see how the guns hold up....
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:55:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Posted this in the other thread, but cross posted here. I know you had C39 issues, but I thought I read you bought some C39V2s, and supposedly, those have addressed the issues that the other C39 had.

Checking in with you on the round count and condition of the C39V2, milled AKs. MAC and AKOU seem to think they're very good and they've been holding up really well for them. I bought one for my son a month ago but have been too sick to go pick it up. Hoping I can make it this week or my dealer will just bring it to me. He was coming down this weekend but got tied up with family issues.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pavlovwolf:
Posted this in the other thread, but cross posted here. I know you had C39 issues, but I thought I read you bought some C39V2s, and supposedly, those have addressed the issues that the other C39 had.

Checking in with you on the round count and condition of the C39V2, milled AKs. MAC and AKOU seem to think they're very good and they've been holding up really well for them. I bought one for my son a month ago but have been too sick to go pick it up. Hoping I can make it this week or my dealer will just bring it to me. He was coming down this weekend but got tied up with family issues.

Thanks.
View Quote

The round count of the C39V2 is still very low in comparison to a standard WASR or the original Polish Model 1960 (Century's first milled gun on Polish kits). It doesn't get used much because people tend to choose the classic wood-dressed AK47.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#14]

The round count of the C39V2 is still very low in comparison to a standard WASR or the original Polish Model 1960 (Century's first milled gun on Polish kits). It doesn't get used much because people tend to choose the classic wood-dressed AK47.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

Thanks.

V/R
Ron

As a purchase for a guy that'll shoot 2,000-3,000 a year, how would you rate it?
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#15]

As a purchase for a guy that'll shoot 2,000-3,000 a year, how would you rate it?
View Quote

I would definitely put this on a list of go-to AK's.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Ron, have you ever used buffers on AK's and what was your experience with them?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:02:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By nchapa:
Ron, have you ever used buffers on AK's and what was your experience with them?
View Quote

We have, we've used the black ones and the blue ones. I'm falling asleep as I'm typing this and can't remember the brands for the life of me but I do have the armorers install them.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: regalgseguy] [#18]
Glad to see that the WASRs are doing as well as they seem to be.  I have one on order from Atlantic.  Now way will I ever be able to give it the abuse it gets in Las Vegas. The ironic thing is that they are the least expensive and one of the most hated AKs on the market.  Looks like the WASR is as reliable and durable as much more expensive ones
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#19]
tag
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]
any SLR-107's (AK-103) on the line?

How are the draco's holding up?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

View Quote

We do have a few of the SLR-107's and they have held up just as well as the WASR-10/63's?

As for the Draco's, the are still running strong. We've lost a few to cracked rails but we have tigged them back in place and continue to run.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#22]
This has probably been asked, but how do you guys manage the NFA aspect of these new FA guns?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 11:43:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#23]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
This has probably been asked, but how do you guys manage the NFA aspect of these new FA guns?
View Quote

Licensed post sample machine  guns. I'll assume they are licensed as a manufacturer, which allows them to make any MG.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#24]

We do have a few of the SLR-107's and they have held up just as well as the WASR-10/63's?

As for the Draco's, the are still running strong. We've lost a few to cracked rails but we have tigged them back in place and continue to run.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

Thanks!

Covers my AK inventory
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 12:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]

As for the Draco's
, the are still running strong. We've lost a few to cracked rails but we have tigged them back in place and continue to run.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

As for the Draco's
, the are still running strong. We've lost a few to cracked rails but we have tigged them back in place and continue to run.

V/R
Ron

Any Mini-Dracos?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By C-4:

Any Mini-Dracos?

View Quote

We have one that we call the Flamethrower but it doesn't get much use. There's no stock on it and my staff only allows certain individuals to use. If you've never fired a gun, there about 99.99% chance you aren't firing the Flamethrower.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:42:09 AM EDT
[#27]
How have the Saigas held up compared to other AKs? About the same, better, worse?

Have you noticed any difference between 47s and 74s in terms of durability?

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:05:52 PM EDT
[#28]
@Ron,

At what approximate round count did the N-PAP receivers break? Were they full auto N-PAP's?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Maybe I missed this topic addressed previously, but...

How do your WASRs compare to the M4 style rifles in reliability and longevity?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:36:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#30]
Originally Posted By blazingnate:

View Quote

While we wait for Doc's replay, check this out, it'll tell you the weak points of the AR system.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/677135_High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html

BTW:  I've shot at Battlefield Vegas.  It's is a hoot.  I shot an original Russian PPS-43, a German MG-42, a BAR and a German StG-44.  I skipped the AR's and AK's as I have experience with them, but they have endless numbers of them.  And just about everything else you can conceive.  Amazing.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:48:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EVR] [#32]

Please stay on the topic of AK's in this forum.

The AR side is easy to find.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EVR:
Originally Posted By blazingnate:

While we wait for Doc's replay, check this out, it'll tell you the weak points of the AR system.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/677135_High_round_count_AR_M4_s__over_100_000_rounds__and_how_they_have_handled_on_our_range.html

BTW:  I've shot at Battlefield Vegas.  It's is a hoot.  I shot an original Russian PPS-43, a German MG-42, a BAR and a German StG-44.  I skipped the AR's and AK's as I have experience with them, but they have endless numbers of them.  And just about everything else you can conceive.  Amazing.

Please stay on the topic of AK's in this forum.

The AR side is easy to find.

Sorry.  I wasn't sure if some folks were aware of all the "high mileage" threads Henderson has posted.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:44:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I will have to get pics tomorrow when I get there in the morning but one of the AK's suffered a triple fracture of the rear portion of the receiver. We had cracks run down from the upper rear trunion rivet down to towards the bottom of the receiver bilaterally AND the rear trunion suffered from a crack down the center of it. I don't know if this particular AK had the recoil spring replaced yet but all AK's were in the process of getting recoil spring replaced (as well as MP5's, Thompson's, M3 Grease Guns and MG42/MG3's).

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Hi Ron,

Do you have any Arsenal SAM 7R-61 on the line?

I know you mentioned that milled receivers outlast stamped receivers, but other than that, any specific issues with Arsenal SAM7R?  Anything breaking or replaced?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I will have to get pics tomorrow when I get there in the morning but one of the AK's suffered a triple fracture of the rear portion of the receiver. We had cracks run down from the upper rear trunion rivet down to towards the bottom of the receiver bilaterally AND the rear trunion suffered from a crack down the center of it. I don't know if this particular AK had the recoil spring replaced yet but all AK's were in the process of getting recoil spring replaced (as well as MP5's, Thompson's, M3 Grease Guns and MG42/MG3's).

V/R
Ron
View Quote

Was this found on the line or was it discovered during maintenance?
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#36]

V/R

Ron
View Quote

What recoil springs do you use if not surplus?  
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:

V/R
Ron

The top cover came off while firing. The RSO knows that top covers just don't pop off so he grabbed a new weapon (so the customer wouldn't panic about that happening again) and brought it back to the armorers after the customer left.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Kvjavs:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kvjavs:

V/R
Ron

We replace them with springs made by Wolff.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#39]

We have one that we call the Flamethrower but it doesn't get much use. There's no stock on it and my staff only allows certain individuals to use. If you've never fired a gun, there about 99.99% chance you aren't firing the Flamethrower.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C-4:

Any Mini-Dracos?

V/R
Ron

Thank you!  I'm having an under folder stock installed since I SBR'd it.  It's meant to be a "fun" gun.

Link Posted: 8/21/2016 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#40]
tag for info

CD
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:24:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steveTA1983] [#41]
Ron,

In your opinion, which would be a better firearm?  WASR or Norinco MAK 90 (debanned)?  To me, it seems that the Norinco is just a heavier more nicely finished variant and the WASR is bare bones, not too pretty,  but tough as nails. Which one would you trust more on the firing line?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Last year you posted about critical Npap failures where receivers were splitting and you dropped them all from the line and got rid of them.  In a recent video interview with one of your armorers, he was talking about how you replace furniture on Npaps because the wood stock breaks quickly.  

Can we assume you're back to using Npaps, and aren't having the receiver issues you had last year?
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Goodelleric:
Last year you posted about critical Npap failures where receivers were splitting and you dropped them all from the line and got rid of them.  In a recent video interview with one of your armorers, he was talking about how you replace furniture on Npaps because the wood stock breaks quickly.  

Can we assume you're back to using Npaps, and aren't having the receiver issues you had last year?
View Quote

Seems a simple answer......
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:42:50 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I noticed that as well. He meant to say WASR's. We haven't put any NPAP's back on the line because we haven't had to at this point. We still have 20+ WASR's new in the box but if they corrected the problem, I don't have a problem putting them on the line. Sean was a bit nervous because he didn't know he was going to be doing the video interview and all of the videos that we have posted on our Youtube page.. have PLENTY of take-out's because of that.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By steveTA1983:
Ron,

In your opinion, which would be a better firearm?  WASR or Norinco MAK 90 (debanned)?  To me, it seems that the Norinco is just a heavier more nicely finished variant and the WASR is bare bones, not too pretty,  but tough as nails. Which one would you trust more on the firing line?
View Quote

Funny you should bring this up. We've had WASR's go the full 100,000 round count without losing trunion rivets but we've had to Norinco's lose their rivets. At the same time, we haven't lost any Norinco's to cracked receivers.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:26:38 AM EDT
[#46]

I noticed that as well. He meant to say WASR's. We haven't put any NPAP's back on the line because we haven't had to at this point. We still have 20+ WASR's new in the box but if they corrected the problem, I don't have a problem putting them on the line. Sean was a bit nervous because he didn't know he was going to be doing the video interview and all of the videos that we have posted on our Youtube page.. have PLENTY of take-out's because of that.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes

V/R
Ron

That really clears things up, thanks.

For what it's worth, he didn't look nervous to me, well done on the interview!  Going into that blind I would've done a whole lot worse, that's a lot of information to pull up on the spot from memory.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 5:56:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Funny you should bring this up. We've had WASR's go the full 100,000 round count without losing trunion rivets but we've had to Norinco's lose their rivets. At the same time, we haven't lost any Norinco's to cracked receivers.

V/R
Ron
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By steveTA1983:
Ron,

V/R
Ron

Thank you for the response
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Thank you for the information.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Been following all the Battlefield Las Vegas threads - just fantastic information!!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post!  Really appreciated.

One quick question on ammo.  You mention that you're using Wolf steel case ammo (in the grey cases).  Are the WASR's that have gone 100K rounds done so with these bi-metallic rounds?  I ask as similar bimetallic rounds can chew through AR barrels (throats, gas holes) in 10K-20K rounds.  

If so, those are some durable eastern block chrome lined barrels!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By ilmonster:
Been following all the Battlefield Las Vegas threads - just fantastic information!!  Thanks so much for taking the time to post!  Really appreciated.

One quick question on ammo.  You mention that you're using Wolf steel case ammo (in the grey cases).  Are the WASR's that have gone 100K rounds done so with these bi-metallic rounds?  I ask as similar bimetallic rounds can chew through AR barrels (throats, gas holes) in 10K-20K rounds.  

If so, those are some durable eastern block chrome lined barrels!!
View Quote

To be fair, comparing 5.56 to the significantly slower 7.63x39 isn't a good comparison from a wear perspective.
Page / 12
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top