Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/24/2015 11:55:02 PM EDT
So I bought  these a few weeks back from a guy overseas, they were advertised as Russian AKM laminate handguards, I have since decided to order a furniture set from Ironwood Designs so these will be up for sale, but wanted to make sure I represent them properly. Had them listed locally and a few guys said they were AK74 handguards. Any help would be appreciate since I'm new to AKs.

More Pics
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:11:59 AM EDT
[#1]
looks like Russian wood.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
looks like Russian wood.
View Quote

Thanks, so are they 47 or 74 handguards?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't know. Mine were 47 and looked like those.
Maybe some AK guru's can chime in.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I also believe Russian.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#5]
They look like early Russian 74 handguards. For some time they had the shallow cut above the palmswell, This cut was later dropped from the Russian wood sets, while the Bulgarians retained it..

Personally I like the feel of the handguards with the palmswell cuts, so you may want to compare them side to side with IWD before making your decision to sell.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:36:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They look like early Russian 74 handguards. For some time they had the shallow cut above the palmswell, This cut was later dropped from the Russian wood sets, while the Bulgarians retained it..

Personally I like the feel of the handguards with the palmswell cuts, so you may want to compare them side to side with IWD before making your decision to sell.

View Quote

Good idea, IWD will be here sometime next month.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:24:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Based on my 15 yr love affair with AKs, I would say these are Russian AK-74 handguards.

As already pointed out, there's the rectangular shaped palm swells and notice the lower does not have air flow cutouts.  They're straight where they would meet up with the upper.  AKM handguards would have the cutouts in the lower.

They look nice!  Good luck if you decide to sell.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 1:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Based on my 15 yr love affair with AKs, I would say these are Russian AK-74 handguards.

As already pointed out, there's the rectangular shaped palm swells and notice the lower does not have air flow cutouts.  They're straight where they would meet up with the upper.  AKM handguards would have the cutouts in the lower.

They look nice!  Good luck if you decide to sell.

View Quote

Thank you for the help
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#9]
AKM:

AK-74:

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Lack of vent holes on the lower handguard usually indicate a 74
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top