Posted: 4/23/2015 4:57:26 AM EDT
RD-M
$1600
"ADVANCE ORDER PURCHASE Expected ship date is 4-6 month"

7.62x39 Base Rifle/Kit build
US Made Receiver
US Made 16" Nitrited 7.62 barrel threaded to 14:1 LH
Triangle Side Folding Stock (RD-M01), OR
M4 Stock Adapter with B5 Collapsible stock (RD-M02)
Magpul or US Palm AK Grip
Tuned G-2 Trigger
Tuned Action - Rails, Bolt, Carrier & Trigger assembly
Modified Fuller Rear Sight
Polymer Hand Guard Set
90 Degree Gas Block
AKM FSB
PWS FSC 47 (Standard)
Dehorn
Norrells Moly Resin Finish Over Park - Flat Black
One State Compliant Magazine Included

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

RD-M

$1600

US Made Receiver

Tuned G-2 Trigger

Polymer Hand Guard Set

90 Degree Gas Block

AKM FSB

PWS FSC 47 (Standard)

Dehorn

View Quote
this cracks me up every time.

I would have preferred a 45 degree block myself. $1600 is pretty steep

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Fitting the rear latch would be a nice touch on a $1600 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
No horns on my AKs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks nice. I hope they don't expect full payment upfront. With Rifle Dynamics a quoted 4-6 month wait is more like a year and probably longer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
So is this just a U.S.-made SLR-107FR clone?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So is this just a U.S.-made SLR-107FR clone?
View Quote

No!  It can't be a clone because, you see, THIS rifle has been "dehorned".

In all seriousness though, I'm sure it'll be a nice rifle.  There's a sizable market, especially among AR shooters just getting into AK's, that associates high cost with "It must be the best".  This market also puts a premium on brand names.  Rifle Dynamics will have no problems whatsoever selling these rifles to that market.  Although personally I'd prefer a SLR-107 over this.  You could insert a G2 and have an equally good shooting rifle for hundreds less.

I also second the comment above about pre-paying.  You'd think people would know by now that allowing vendors in this industry to hold onto your money for more than 90 days is a really, really bad idea.  I understand that Rifle Dynamics is a credible company, but still...shite happens.  And if it happens while that vendor has your money, you can kiss that money goodbye.  I could understand a holding deposit to ensure buyers are serious, but expecting customers to fund operations is not a sound business practice.  I hope buyers of this will not be expected to pre-pay in full.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
RD-M
$1600

US Made Receiver
Tuned G-2 Trigger
Polymer Hand Guard Set
90 Degree Gas Block
AKM FSB
PWS FSC 47 (Standard)
Dehorn

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/RDM_1024x1024.jpg?v=1429123597
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/DSC_0060_1024x1024.JPG?v=1429123597
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/RDM-02_1024x1024.jpg?v=1429142131
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/RDM-01.._1024x1024.jpg?v=1429722988
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
As an RD rifle owner, I think they do great work, but its way overpriced for what you get. Arsenal plus a few upgrades will get you the same performance. If you wanna drop big money on a "Not your average AK". Krebs custom is where its at.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#9]
minus $300 gets you a SAM7SF with more features, plus horns
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks good, but I won't consider a $1000+ AK that lacks a side scope rail.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a Saiga that they debanned.  The RD-M01 has the obliterated importer marking/match strike/fingernail file rectangle around the stock latch.  Not sure what happened to the rest of the markings.  Seems odd they would be remarking a Saiga receiver.

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks like a Saiga that they debanned.  The RD-M01 has the obliterated importer marking/match strike/fingernail file rectangle around the stock latch.  Not sure what happened to the rest of the markings.  Seems odd they would be remarking a Saiga receiver.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/RDM-01.._1024x1024.jpg?v=1429722988

View Quote

Description says US made barrel and receiver. If they were converting Saigas I doubt they would wast the time and money to trash a perfectly good barrel and receiver. The receiver does look like many Saiga receivers though, maybe the pic was from an early prototype.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RD-M
$1600

US Made Receiver
Tuned G-2 Trigger
Polymer Hand Guard Set
90 Degree Gas Block
AKM FSB
PWS FSC 47 (Standard)
Dehorn

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/RDM_1024x1024.jpg?v=1429123597
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/DSC_0060_1024x1024.JPG?v=1429123597
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0227/7721/products/RDM-02_1024x1024.jpg?v=1429142131

I believe this is the correct reaction.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#14]
RD has a fantastic reputation for doing quality work, but there are way too many off-the-shelf parts for a $1600 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I need to get an FFL and get into the dehorning business.  Other than them hitting it with a file.. I mean dehorning it.. this is nothing but a bunch of off the shelf parts.  I figure dehorning labor alone has to be at least $500.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#16]
This local shop here in Las Vegas that was doing dehorning and adding the venom gas block and making RD clones is in the process of going out of business. lol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Or I could buy an Arsenal and 3,000 rounds of ammo...

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Description says US made barrel and receiver. If they were converting Saigas I doubt they would wast the time and money to trash a perfectly good barrel and receiver. The receiver does look like many Saiga receivers though, maybe the pic was from an early prototype.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

the pic above has the scrubbed importer mark on it that SAIGAs have. Could be the promo one was made from a SAIGA

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Ummm, not an expert on AK's but where is the $1600 price tag coming from?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
the pic above has the scrubbed importer mark on it that SAIGAs have. Could be the promo one was made from a SAIGA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than likely, it's probably one of the guys saiga that they debanned and made to look like a 100series AK. But the AK you or anyone else will be getting will have US barrels, and receivers.

BTW whats the difference between this new line and their 500 and 700 series, other than lack of gas block, and front sight block?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably $700 tops for the parts (which is still waaaay too generous price tag for the parts) , and the rest is for their work. Which is the following....

M4 Stock Adapter with B5 Collapsible stock
Tuned Custom Trigger
Dehorn

When you consider that after an AK is built it has probably got to about $850 with built labor, parts kits, and maybe paint. (for the RD-M model), Then you pay about $800 for them to do the things listed above to the rifle.

Edit: And for that price it looks like they're gonna leave out the reinforcement plate on the side folders.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

because it says rifle dynamics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Yet another overpriced AK.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As an RD rifle owner, I think they do great work, but its way overpriced for what you get. Arsenal plus a few upgrades will get you the same performance. If you wanna drop big money on a "Not your average AK". Krebs custom is where its at.
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both are pretty spendy, but I agree that Krebs seems to give you more for your money. Their builds come with a good amount of custom parts they made. While RD is basically all off the shelf parts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#26]
The only way I could justify this kind of money is if they were doing factory SBR rifles with the side folding stocks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The only way I could justify this kind of money is if they were doing factory SBR rifles with the side folding stocks.
View Quote

That would be a decent deal for $1600. But in reality, an RD factory SBR would be 3 grand or more
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd rather just buy an arsenal with a commie made barrel and file the corners off of the safety myself At the end of the day it is a few hundred cheaper, faster, and a better barrel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#29]
If you throw out the monetary "value" of that rifle I wouldn't trade it for my converted saiga. Heck no.

*dehorning vigorously
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ditto. I don't see anything even close to being worth 1600 bucks about that rifle, sheesh, if I wanted a kit build and US parts, i'd build the dang thing myself for about 500 bucks.

Dehorn, i'm too effing sure, taking sandpaper to a rifle is now considered a feature?

Quoted:

*dehorning vigorously

Don't forget to blade at 45 while yer doing it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if they've partnered with intacto
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I have been into AKs for years and really this thread is the first time I've ever heard of "dehorning" one. I googled it and couldn't believe all the stories I found of guys getting their hands and arms torn up by AK's "sharp edges" of the receiver, mag latch, dust cover, etc.. What am I doing wrong?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I have been into AKs for years and really this thread is the first time I've ever heard of "dehorning" one. I googled it and couldn't believe all the stories I found of guys getting their hands and arms torn up by AK's "sharp edges" of the receiver, mag latch, dust cover, etc.. What am I doing wrong?
View Quote

You're probably not Operator As Fuck like the guys that are getting torn up.  None of us are apparently.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:57:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I cut my finger doing a mag change once, does that qualify as tactical as?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Getting disgusted with the "hey, AK guys will pay anything now, let's slap some crap together and get us some of that action" attitude that has swept through US manufacturers. I tried to warn people that continuing to subsidize the overpriced Arsenal rifles would have consequences, now we got 1600 dollar kit builds and Century trying to sell 1000 dollar "RPK's", fugly "mutants" etc. etc.

May have to move this thread to GD, I sense copious dehorning memes coming on.
<pic removed> dryflash3
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Not that I would want this rifle, pretty happy with my 'no frills factory grade' SLR-107.

However, you need to consider the fact that these are 'custom built' rifles. AK or not, these aren't exactly rolling off of the assembly line of Arsenal JSCo. or Izhevsk... So for all the little 'sanding/grinding/polishing', refinishing, adding this/that, etc. It will stack up a bit of a premium, yes even for 'dehorning'. People paying 'top dollar' for custom built guns want it all...

So the bottom line; $1,600 price, isn't all that extravagant.
Some people do want this, honestly I like what RD does, I like what Krebs does as well. In context to 'fine-tuning' and/or customizing AK's, they are two of the most noted industry leaders in this country.

You can whine/whinge/moan/groan about it, but it all costs money for them to sit down and put fourth effort and craftsmanship for these products.

Again, nothing wrong with a 'factory plain Jane rifle' I'm more than content with mine.

Custom gunsmithing = not free
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not that I would want this rifle, pretty happy with my 'no frills factory grade' SLR-107.

However, you need to consider the fact that these are 'custom built' rifles. AK or not, these aren't exactly rolling off of the assembly line of Arsenal JSCo. or Izhevsk... So for all the little 'sanding/grinding/polishing', refinishing, adding this/that, etc. It will stack up a bit of a premium, yes even for 'dehorning'. People paying 'top dollar' for custom built guns want it all...

Some people do want this, honestly I like what RD does, I like what Krebs does as well. In context to 'fine-tuning' and/or customizing AK's, they are two of the most noted industry leaders in this country.

You can whine/whinge/moan/groan about it, but it all costs money for them to sit down and put fourth effort and craftsmanship for these products.

Again, nothing wrong with a 'factory plain Jane rifle' I'm more than content with mine.

View Quote

You are right, custom gunsmithing is expensive.  That is why a Krebs rifle with a high price is understandable.. there are several custom made parts on their rifles.

But there isn't anything custom about this RD rifle.  It's all off the shelf parts.  One could buy all these parts, then pay any number of builders to build it and spend way less money.  RD isn't doing anything that InRange, POHF, or many others can't do.  For an extra $50 they will probably even take a file to the rough edges for you.

Other RD builds may involve some real custom work and parts that justifies a high price.  But this new offering from them is only expensive because it says Rifle Dynamics on the side of it and they know some people will pay it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You are right, custom gunsmithing is expensive.  That is why a Krebs rifle with a high price is understandable.. there are several custom made parts on their rifles.

But there isn't anything custom about this RD rifle.  It's all off the shelf parts.  One could buy all these parts, then pay any number of builders to build it and spend way less money.  RD isn't doing anything that InRange, POHF, or many others can't do.  For an extra $50 they will probably even take a file to the rough edges for you.

Other RD builds may involve some real custom work and parts that justifies a high price.  But this new offering from them is only expensive because it says Rifle Dynamics on the side of it and they know some people will pay it.
View Quote

This. /thread
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#40]
So when is the Palmetto State rifle hitting the shelves? Seriously just here to agree, I thought maybe this was a April fools joke that I missed from the begning of the month or something.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

These rifles aren't custom built. They aren't even made from commie parts kits. I'd much rather $1200ish on a SLR-107CR than $1600 on this.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#43]
System Message
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top