Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I may just have to get two of these! Especially at that price!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:16:55 PM EDT
[#2]
There getting good reviews over at the AK Files site.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#3]
....I had to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:27:11 AM EDT
[#4]
BH11B You really lucked  out with that furniture.  Thanks for the picture's. I am glad I ordered 1.  Mine will be in next week but I wont be home till late next week. Can't wait!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy mags and ammo now lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:13:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BH11B You really lucked  out with that furniture.  Thanks for the picture's. I am glad I ordered 1.  Mine will be in next week but I wont be home till late next week. Can't wait!
View Quote

On the comments box on my order I asked if they could pick me out a nice matching colored stock set.Request was granted.Stock colors look better than those of you mentioned that are pictured.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

On the comments box on my order I asked if they could pick me out a nice matching colored stock set.Request was granted.Stock colors look better than those of you mentioned that are pictured.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ya! My comment was "hoping for good non painted wood please :)"

Granted!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Just a heads up, about 135 left for those who want one.  ***update for Friday, back to over 200 available, supply is increasing.***
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#9]
How long did it take for your guys' rifles to ship?

Mines going on 5 business days of "ready for picking".

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Me too! Just waiting for the ship date.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I ordered on Friday April 24. It shipped Monday the 27th.  It arrived Friday May 1st at my FFL.  I was out of the country and just got back last night.  I picked it up today.  The finish on the metal looks great.  I was hoping for a stained stock but got a complete painted set.  Oh well, it matches and there Re no cracks or dings visible.  FSB may have a slight cant to left but I will shoot it and see how far off the sights are before I contact DDI.  I inserted the tapco, EG mags and Bulgarian Mags in it. All locked up and released fine.  I am happy so far but will pass final judgement after I shoot it.  Range report will follow.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:21:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Ordered 4/29, shipped 5/6
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:07:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone know if the paintednstocks were done by WW or came from Bulgaria like that??

I was getting ready to strip mine and thought since the paint was in great shape, I will wait till it is beat to refinish.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:25:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if the paintednstocks were done by WW or came from Bulgaria like that??

I was getting ready to strip mine and thought since the paint was in great shape, I will wait till it is beat to refinish.
View Quote

They came that way and were part of a demilled kit.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the reply!
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Did anyone get a plum stock?
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There getting good reviews over at the AK Files site.
View Quote

Well, I would say more like mixed reviews.

I am a member over there too.

These are apparently the old Waffen Werks ak-74s that had so many problems that Classic Arms was not able to sell all of them.

So, they are now having a sort of "fire sale" at $499.99 to clear out their warehouse.  

And apparently DDI has consented to fix any problems that buyers encounter with the old Waffen Werks Ak-74s.  

Word is that DDI is actually going to get out of the AK-74 production and they are introducing a new AK-47 which can be purchased through Atlantic Arms now.

So if you buy one of these "fire sale" AK-74s it may run great for you or it may fail to eject spent rounds.

BUT most on the AKFILES.COM board are reporting theirs are running o.k.   A few report problems though but these owners are going to rely on DDI to make theirs right.

It is hard to argue with the sale price.  I agree with this.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did anyone get a plum stock?
View Quote

Let you know next Friday
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one of these and I put 200 rounds through mine.  I had 1 FTF which I blamed on a bad round of Silver Bear.  The same round would not feed in a Tapco or Bulgarian surplus mag.  I plan on putting 300 more rounds through her tomorrow and will report back.

Here is the best "zero" I could muster in the limited time I had.

AK74 25m zero
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought one and sent it back to DDI today for failure to feed issues. Aesthetically it looks pretty darn good. We all knew it was a bit of a crapshoot with these, but if it comes back from DDI and works ok I will be a happy camper. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I have some Wolf 69gr I plan on running through my two... has any one had any issues with the heavier bullet?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:26:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I received mine on May 8th.  Finally took it out to shoot today.  Mine came with a painted stock. Not what I wanted but the paint is like new so I will refinish it when it gets beat up.

Put 90 rds through it. 9 to Zero at 25m and 5 more at 100m. Then the rest on rapid fire at 25.  No failures.  I am very pleased.  I sold a MAK90 to fund this AK74.  Glad I did.  

I used 3 mags. Tapco, Bulgarian black circle 10 and an East German orange bakelite.  All with 7N6 surplus.

ETA; Pics
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks good! I'm picking up my two tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#24]
To bad DDI isn't stamped somewhere on the rifle as the WW name is like poison. My WW rifle works real well since DDI re barreled it. But for the price it was worth the gamble.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Got mine today. Mine came with decent looking wood furniture, great finish, straight sights and I shot around 200 rounds of 7n6 with 0 malfunctions.

Very happy with it so far!
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#26]
So I ended up with two consecutive numbered lemons:

One has FTE issues, the case gets left in the chamber, next round is partially stripped out of the mag and gets rammed into the rear of the fired case. This happens multiple times per mag. I charge the rifle to get the bolt to snap over the case rim and mortar it to get the case extracted.

The other one doesn't fully go into battery once or more per mag, it seems like the extractor won't snap over the case rim.

This happens with both Silver Bear and 69gr Wolf, with both Bulgarian (military surplus) and East German bakelite mags.

I've gotten a RMA # from DDI, now I just need to scrounge up a shipping box and get them on their way.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Most of what I have read so far seems to be positive of DDI following through on the warranty.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Haven't had a chance to get mine to the range yet so watching the range reports closely.  Most of the problems I hear seem to  have to do with extraction.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a question on the muzzle device- what type/thread pattern should I be looking for if I want to change mine out?
I noticed that the included one is very easily removable.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I have a question on the muzzle device- what type/thread pattern should I be looking for if I want to change mine out?

View Quote

24mmx1.5
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

24mmx1.5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

24mmx1.5

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 3:38:34 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought 3 of these and my buddy picked up one all of mine a 9XXX range and for the most part have been great. My buddys is a 3XXX serial number and actually still had a Waffen Werks paper tag hanging off the cleaning rod so i know that despite what they said some of these were Waffen old stock that they were blowing out. All 4 have worked fine though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I just took mine out and put 30 rounds through it of silver bear.  My serial number is in the 37**  range and it came with every tag on it saying waffen works.  My normal range is solid mud so I just fired  for function check.   Not much of a test but it did feed and eject all 30 rounds just fine, using provided tapco mag.  I was aiming at my 200 yard gong with no previous sight in and I can confirm that my gong remained untouched not a single strike and I tried shooting high, low, left and right.    Edited to add:  Annoyed at accuracy so put on mud boots and put up some paper to attempt sight in, at 25 yards it was a foot high and a foot to the right, didn't bring tools with me so at least I now know where it's shooting, no problems with feeding or ejection.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

24mmx1.5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

24mmx1.5

is that LH or RH?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Mine are RH
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#36]
imdBman
Your rifle looks great.  I  like your stocks.  Do they scratch easy?
Mine was a clear stain I guess and a little more beat up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I got an email today from DDI saying that my rifle has been fixed along with a video of them doing a 30 round mag dump with my rifle.  Can't wait,
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

One has FTE issues, the case gets left in the chamber, next round is partially stripped out of the mag and gets rammed into the rear of the fired case. This happens multiple times per mag. I charge the rifle to get the bolt to snap over the case rim and mortar it to get the case extracted.

The other one doesn't fully go into battery once or more per mag, it seems like the extractor won't snap over the case rim.

This happens with both Silver Bear and 69gr Wolf, with both Bulgarian (military surplus) and East German bakelite mags.

I've gotten a RMA # from DDI, now I just need to scrounge up a shipping box and get them on their way.
View Quote

I just took mine to the range today for the first time and the first magazine I had no problems. Maybe the first 2 were ok. No rapid fire, just steady long range plinking at steel.
Then I started experiencing Failure to extract. The bolt would only partially unlock. If I tried racking it, the first time it left the spent round in the chamber
and the bolt gouged the next one in the mag. I had to drop the magazine and then when I forced the bolt carrier forward, hoping it would re-engage the stuck round and then extract it, I could only get the bolt carrier to move back maybe a quarter inch.
Had to take the dust cover and spring off at then whack the charging handle with a piece of wood.
The second time it happened, I field stripped the gun and hit the charging handle again and noticed that a half-moon shaped sliver of the case neck where the bullet seats) was missing.
This was Wolf ammo, IIRC, Recently purchased from SGammo
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#39]
My DDI billet under folder lasted around 2-3 mags then stopped working all together. FTF , FTE, Stuck bolt etc..

DDI swapped it out with a replacement gun. The customer service is pretty good, not yet convinced on the quality though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I just took mine to the range today for the first time and the first magazine I had no problems. Maybe the first 2 were ok. No rapid fire, just steady long range plinking at steel.
Then I started experiencing Failure to extract. The bolt would only partially unlock. If I tried racking it, the first time it left the spent round in the chamber
and the bolt gouged the next one in the mag. I had to drop the magazine and then when I forced the bolt carrier forward, hoping it would re-engage the stuck round and then extract it, I could only get the bolt carrier to move back maybe a quarter inch.
Had to take the dust cover and spring off at then whack the charging handle with a piece of wood.
The second time it happened, I field stripped the gun and hit the charging handle again and noticed that a half-moon shaped sliver of the case neck where the bullet seats) was missing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty identical to my issues... Send it in
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Finally shot mine, 100 rounds of 7n6 and no problems.  Seemed to be pretty accurate too.  Has the Waffen Works tag on the barrel so doubt really made by DDI as stated.  At least it works.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#42]
for those that sent their rifles in, what method did you use to ship?

I'm not all that jazzed about having to pay for shipping to DDI, but if I can save money somehow, I'd like to. Did you use your FFL?

Link Posted: 6/6/2015 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#43]
$32 via FedEx to ship two in, insured for $1200
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 7:32:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
$32 via FedEx to ship two in, insured for $1200
View Quote

No FFL?

Did you tell them what you were shipping?

I shipped a pistol once via FedEx (to an FFL) and it was like $90 and they were all kind of uneasy about even taking it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Long guns are fine person to FFL, it went ground insured.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#46]
DDI emailed me a prepaid ups label. Description = machined parts.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
DDI emailed me a prepaid ups label. Description = machined parts.
View Quote

Hmm. Anybody else have their shipping taken care of?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Just sent mine in via UPS ground, insured for $600. Cost me $21
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Got mine back about 2 weeks ago.

No communication from DDI on what they did to it, what they found that was wrong.

Finally had a chance to take it out yesterday.

Same exact problems.- failure to extract, intermittently. The round would fire, bolt would come back slightly, the casing would remain in the chamber, backed out about 3/8". Sometimes the bolt wouldn't come back far enough to re-cock the hammer, sometimes it would. When it did, it would partially strip off the next round and obviously wouldn't feed that round due to the stuck round in the chamber.

In either case, to get the stuck round out required removing the dust cover and recoil spring, forcing the bolt carrier forward to re-seat over the casing in the chamber and then hitting the caring handle with force (used a magazine since I was out on the field). This happened numerous times with numerous magazines and two different kinds of 5.45 ( new production and Milsurp)

I'll have to email DDI again on Monday

I used the Wolf ammo again AND some mystery surplus ammo That I had purchased a few years ago, way before I owned a 5.45.

Link Posted: 7/13/2015 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#50]
I had essentially the same results, I'll be talking to them again today... This is annoying, I'm out almost $40 for shipping plus over 500 rounds of smmo sofar and they still don't function
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top