Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2015 9:34:09 PM EDT
I played with the zhukov handguard at the NRA show and it was pretty awesome.

with that said, would you cut off the handguard retainer on a SLR-107 to facilitate the installation of one?

would more or less be a "for life" mod, as I don't see myself pressing off everything to reverse it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have to handle one myself before I can say so.  I'm inclined to say I wouldn't though.  The MOE versions extend the handguard too and don't require any permanent mods.

Now if the Zhukov will install on a Vepr I would definely go for it over the MOE version, since it wouldn't require cutting anything.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#2]
you know you're gonna do it............
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Pressing ,"everything" off really isn't all that hard
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#4]
No. It looks like a Saiga handguard.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope...Especially since all my mods turn back to stock config eventually.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:18:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you know you're gonna do it............
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Could always slap a bolt on handguard retainer on
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Cheap wasr? Sure. Arsenal probably not. Maybe if I owned a press but still probably not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Cut it... Commit ... Worth it every time...I have cut three for extended rails.. Never looked back.. just my $0.02
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 12:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pressing ,"everything" off really isn't all that hard
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:07:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't cut my retainer off if Magpul gave me a truckload of handguards.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:22:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd have to handle one myself before I can say so.  I'm inclined to say I wouldn't though.  The MOE versions extend the handguard too and don't require any permanent mods.

Now if the Zhukov will install on a Vepr I would definely go for it over the MOE version, since it wouldn't require cutting anything.
View Quote

Actually, keep in mind that if you want to install MOE AK handguard, you'll need to cut off sling loop off your retainer. Magpul also sells MOE AKM version if you don't want to cut off the sling loop.

Personally, I decided on AK version so I'll have to cut off the sling loop. I've found a perfect device to replace my sling loop per my product review: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_56/158320_Product_Review__Razorsix_s_QD_Mount_AK_WIKQD.html

Yeah, I agree it's hard decision to make if you aren't really sure if you'll like Zhukov handguard or not.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Do what you want. Its just an AK.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

One worth more on the market than most AR's.

If it was a wasr I'd care less - must contemplate this. I did like the HG
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#16]
No.  I don't cut things off AK's to accommodate whatever the current tacticool fad is, ever.

But in the case of my Vepr since there isn't a handguard retainer to start with........
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're not going to sell it who cares what it's worth? Maybe if you plan to use it as an investment I would understand. In this case I would just modify it as I see fit. If you're doing a mod you want that adds value, to you. You don't even void the warranty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#19]
someone here already chopped up a brand new 107 for it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
As a designer, I am not a fan of parts that require permanent or semipermanent modes to the gun.

Not to hijack and pimp my own stuff, but If you can wait a few more weeks the Manticore Extended AK forend will be out, and it drops onto the AK with no mods needed.   I designed it from the outset from "drop on, drop off with no mods" installation in mind.  I freaking hate having to chop on a gun to make something fit.

The price of the Extended AK Forend will be higher than the Extended Zhukov  (machining costs are pretty high to knock all four components out of solid aluminum billet), but the weight will be the same as the Zhukov and you can Keymod that bitch up all you like once the Extended AK forend is mounted up, plus picainnty on top for optics and any other goodies you desire.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

im in no hurry
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I wouldn't
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. This is a good excuse to get a new wasr
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I would remove it by removing the GB and FSB, but not cut off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As a designer, I am not a fan of parts that require permanent or semipermanent modes to the gun.

Not to hijack and pimp my own stuff, but If you can wait a few more weeks the Manticore Extended AK forend will be out, and it drops onto the AK with no mods needed.   I designed it from the outset from "drop on, drop off with no mods" installation in mind.  I freaking hate having to chop on a gun to make something fit.

The price of the Extended AK Forend will be higher than the Extended Zhukov  (machining costs are pretty high to knock all four components out of solid aluminum billet), but the weight will be the same as the Zhukov and you can Keymod that bitch up all you like once the Extended AK forend is mounted up, plus picainnty on top for optics and any other goodies you desire.  

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

F***ing A dude!  MUCH smarter design, i'll wait on this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If you're not going to sell it who cares what it's worth? Maybe if you plan to use it as an investment I would understand. In this case I would just modify it as I see fit. If you're doing a mod you want that adds value, to you. You don't even void the warranty.
View Quote

This.

I've never sold a firearm and probably never will.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
someone here already chopped up a brand new 107 for it.
View Quote

That was me.. ;) Now just waiting on the "mid-April release".. oh wait... SMH Magpul
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#28]
If I really liked it and felt it was wasn't missing anything, and I could buy another SLR rifle in 5 minutes of cutting the retainer and not blink an eye then yeah, but I can't soooo yeah I wouldn't.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote

My favorite part was when he said "keymod that bitch up"
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#30]
no, would not cut up a bulgarian arsenal
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#31]
No, I would not.  I don't have an issue with the stock handguards though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#32]
How are you going to play dress up if you can't throw some laminant on there every now and then? Or maybe plum next week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I wonder how many people are not going to read into the hand guards, buy them and then return them because they realize they need to cut off the retainer
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How are you going to play dress up if you can't throw some laminant on there every now and then? Or maybe plum next week.
View Quote

shes painted

DSC_5160 by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr

I play dress up with the draco
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top