Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2015 5:49:14 PM EDT
Had a buddy hit me up over facebook and offer me this package for a really good deal, couldnt pass it up. Always wanted to do a full on conversion and when I seen this I almost vomited and knew it needed saving. Brace yourself-

After saying a dozen hail Mikhails, I got all that tapco shit off his ak. I also had some miscellaneous parts that id been sitting on, including a Romy handguard with gas tube set another guy discarded after putting an ultimak on his wasr.

So now i'm just in need of some information if you more knowledgeable converters could help me out, namely with needed parts, and where i can buy them. credit card in hand, i'm ready to do this.

Parts I know I need are, Tapco fcg, handguard retainer, rear site, gas block, front site base and 4 pins for them both. I would like to use an ak74 style so that i can avoid having to thread the barrel. Also a bullet guide.  I know I will need to decide on what im going to do about the two receiver holes, I'm leaning towards welding them up.

Lets get this ball rolling, fairly excited to have a fresh iron in the fire

UPDATE:

I stripped her down and degreased. Used a high heat engine paint with rust preventative as the primer, then went back over with a coat of flat black enamel. Turned out pretty good and is a very flat non glossy look I was going for.

So all in all I'm pretty stoked. It was a fun project to do and if I can pick up another saiga in 545 or 762 I'd definitely do it again. Pitchers:

Family pic

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
After recovering from the initial shock, I decided to assist you with your quest.

Bullet guides-best ones I found are from dinzagarms.com, but you can get cheaper ones from carolinashootersupply.com

Carolina has a lot of other parts too

aK-builder.com will have the majority of remaining parts you need, with robertrtg.com, cncwarrior.com or armsofAmerica.com supplying an occasional missing piece.

If really desperate you may have to pay the K-var.com tax, but depends on your luck.

Stocks are obtainable from ironwooddesigns.com if you are looking to restore a traditional wood look, which that poor saiga deserves after being tapco raped.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, heres what I have enroute:

From Apex
Bulgarian AK47 Front Sight and Gas Block Retaining Pins
Bulgarian AK47 Gas Block
Bulgarian AK47 Lower Handguard Retainer Plate

From Carolina SS

1 of : -BASIC KIT #2-CSS all Saiga Rifles, 410 & 20GA. - ROUNDED
1 of : 7.62X39 ROUND TRUNNION BULLET GUIDE
1 of : 7.62X39-ROUND TRUNNION BULLET GUIDE - INCLUDE DRILL & TAP SET
1 of : DRILL AND TAP SET 6-32
1 of : GRIP NUT FOR ALL AK GRIPS "T-NUT"
1 of : GRIP SCREW AK, VEPR & SAIGA
1 of : TRIGGER GROUP HOLE PLUGS FOR SAIGA CONVERSIONS
1 of : TRIGGER GROUP-SAIGA RIFLES, 410 & 20 GA. MODIFIED FIRE CONTROL GROUP
1 of : TRIGGER GUARD-BOLT ON "ROUNDED"

Rifle Dynamics

1x Bulgarian AK Front Sight Base Assembly - 24mm thread - Bulgarian AK Front Sight Base Assembly

Krebs

K-VAR AK-74 Style Muzzle Brake 7.62mm

The only thing I forgot to grab were some buttstock screws I think. Let me know if you see anything i may be missing. I cant wait to get this project going.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Carolina SS works great.

Mine started life as this and then I took a hammer to it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow that looks great! I dig the two tone look. I actually have a rifle dynamics stock adapter if i want to run that set up. How did you remove the gas block? mine appears to have a pin through the back of it that is really on there.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:14:25 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/152759_SAIGA_full_conversion_tutorial.html

Here's a tutorial I did. I look forward to seeing your resurrection!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Me personally I'd use an AKM FSB and have a 45 degree gas block installed, you just don't see Rusky AKMs.

Then again I like the AKM mo' betta.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow that looks great! I dig the two tone look. I actually have a rifle dynamics stock adapter if i want to run that set up. How did you remove the gas block? mine appears to have a pin through the back of it that is really on there.
View Quote
Thanks. I punched out the pins and drilled any dimples. I then literally (Carefully used a hammer) to get it off. I would have like to have had it pressed off, but it worked. It is a great shooter as it prints about 1.5" at 50 yards with irons. I love it. Good luck with yours.

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/152759_SAIGA_full_conversion_tutorial.html

Here's a tutorial I did. I look forward to seeing your resurrection!
View Quote
That's awesome! I wish I had that when I was doing mine!

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Me personally I'd use an AKM FSB and have a 45 degree gas block installed, you just don't see Rusky AKMs.

View Quote

I actually did order a 45 degree to make a rusky akm. But, I was doing some research and a few members on another forum said that it may not work with the location of the gas port? I shot apex an email, going to see if they can change it to the bulgy 90 they have for a few dollars more.

And I scratched that akm itch long ago

Nictra,  thanks for the link to your build, that should be tacked in the saiga forum for sure. Lots of good info there much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I actually did order a 45 degree to make a rusky akm. But, I was doing some research and a few members on another forum said that it may not work with the location of the gas port? I shot apex an email, going to see if they can change it to the bulgy 90 they have for a few dollars more.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r574/skinnedjagon/Mobile%20Uploads/20150418_223508_zpsjsz6xx3c.jpg
Nictra,  thanks for the link to your build, that should be tacked in the saiga forum for sure. Lots of good info there much appreciated.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r574/skinnedjagon/Mobile%20Uploads/20150418_223508_zpsjsz6xx3c.jpg

The holes aren't in the same place, you would have to have it relocated.

I've considered doing this to my SLR107 but I'm afraid it will kill the value.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Pretty sure that the Bulgarian AK47 gas block is also for the larger diameter milled receiver profile barrel. If you want a 45-deg gas block you need an AKM gas block. It can and has been done, but I don't know if those who use an AKM gas block on a Saiga have redrilled the gas port or not.

You would be better off to get an AK-74 gas block.

THE for the amount of parts you just bought you could just sell the whole thing and get a used SGL21,  but I get it. I did a whole AK-101 conversion  on a S223 when I should be just bought an SLR106
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Just buy a 74 kit, it has everything you need.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have about 650 bucks into this. No way I'm stepping into a banned Russian arsenal for anything near that.

And if I buy a ak 74 kit you darn well know what would happen haha. One project at a time!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:06:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Had a buddy hit me up over facebook and offer me this package for a really good deal, couldnt pass it up. Always wanted to do a full on conversion and when I seen this I almost vomited and knew it needed saving. Brace yourself-

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r574/skinnedjagon/20150416_181151_zpsxosek3an.jpg

After saying a dozen hail Mikhails, I got all that tapco shit off his ak. I also had some miscellaneous parts that id been sitting on, including a Romy handguard with gas tube set another guy discarded after putting an ultimak on his wasr.

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r574/skinnedjagon/20150418_161100_zps391man33.jpg

So now i'm just in need of some information if you more knowledgeable converters could help me out, namely with needed parts, and where i can buy them. credit card in hand, i'm ready to do this.

Parts I know I need are, Tapco fcg, handguard retainer, rear site, gas block, front site base and 4 pins for them both. I would like to use an ak74 style so that i can avoid having to thread the barrel. Also a bullet guide.  I know I will need to decide on what im going to do about the two receiver holes, I'm leaning towards welding them up.

Lets get this ball rolling, fairly excited to have a fresh iron in the fire

View Quote

Good job!

Move forward in your quest to successfully liberate your rifle from the sludge that once engulfed it!
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Still waiting on parts. Did most of of what I could to the rear end, used jb weld to fill in the rivet holes as well as the bolt hold open slot. Managed to pop off my front site, barrel was threaded after all. Completely covered in this white bonding agent though. Gas block will not budge, pissing me off good. Might have to buy a press for this as I can't rent one locally.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
tried drilling the dimples on mine and just ended up cutting the whole GB off with a slice down the side. Ivan really did not mean for us to drill those dimples out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

tried drilling the dimples on mine and just ended up cutting the whole GB off with a slice down the side. Ivan really did not mean for us to drill those dimples out.
View Quote
use bigger drill bit

Link Posted: 4/23/2015 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thank you OP for saving a Tapcoxxed AK and bringing it back.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I got her all converted. Broke down and purchased a twelve ton press from harbor freight and it made quick work of the gas block and front site. I've got everything real straight. I'm going to shoot it tomorrow to ensure my front site is not canted, then I will pin it.

After I pin it I will be disassembling the entire rifle and painting it with some flat black high heat rattle can. Once I get that ak taken care of I will post pics, she's just ugly as heck right now lol.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Got to shoot the rifle today. Function was perfect. Not only were my sites on straight, I managed to make it perfect point of aim point of impact lol. Mostly luck on that I guess. I ran about 75 rounds or so just for giggles. I'm really pleased with the 74 front site muzzle break combo, really mitigates recoil.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to paint it and post up some finished pictures. I'm so glad I did this, I love this thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Got to shoot the rifle today. Function was perfect. Not only were my sites on straight, I managed to make it perfect point of aim point of impact lol. Mostly luck on that I guess. I ran about 75 rounds or so just for giggles. I'm really pleased with the 74 front site muzzle break combo, really mitigates recoil.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to paint it and post up some finished pictures. I'm so glad I did this, I love this thing.
View Quote
awesome. Post before and after finish pics

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok one ugly pic

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#24]
looks good. Maybe it's the angle, but is the FSB on all the way? Seems a bit long between the GB and FSB
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Honestly I'm not sure. I pressed the front site down until it was even with the barrel at the end, figured I didn't want exposed threads poking out? The brake functions great so I'm thinking it's on right. New pics in op
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Amazing work OP congrats!
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks guys. Super nice trigger from css. Feels like a very light single stage that breaks very crisply, I was going to upgrade it but I think it's perfect. One thing I forgot about shooting aks is how much the rear site sucks. What are my options, I'm trying to keep this an irons plinker.

Krebs or other peep? Anything I should look into? I liked the peep site and am familiar with there use with the ar platform. I have a primary arms 1-6 for the x39 but need a better optics mount.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like you want a TWS rail.  There are a couple iron sights that will work with the TWS as well,  including the Tech sights model for the SU16. You can have your optic mounted and have a decent A1 type peep sight as backup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't think I want to alter it all that much
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#31]
would opening up the notch a tad help?
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't think I want to alter it all that much
View Quote

understood, it just sounds like it solves both of your sighting problems in one solution.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
would opening up the notch a tad help?
View Quote

I may, I really want to try out a krebs peep.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top