Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/12/2015 11:15:59 PM EDT
For the cheap shooting I am in the market for an AK. I am an Ar guy through and through but do like the Kalashnikov as well. What is out there these days that is quality and 1,000 bucks or under?
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Arsenal SLR 107/104
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya I am in CA. Moving soon though to Oregon. Those rifles you listed are on the Fienstien ban list. Shes a C U N ext Tuesday. I saw a one of the N-PAP's in a shop recently and I like it but it just seems to have too many proprietary parts.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#3]
palmetto state armory is coming out with an ak47 in around 2 months, I think it will be worth waiting on. The price is supposed to be around $600 depending on the configuration
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I love America but we can't make an AK worth a crap with the exception for a few out there. I want an ak that has a commy barrel and commy receiver so I know that it will be somewhat decent quality.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya I am in CA. Moving soon though to Oregon. Those rifles you listed are on the Fienstien ban list. Shes a C U N ext Tuesday. I saw a one of the N-PAP's in a shop recently and I like it but it just seems to have too many proprietary parts.
View Quote

I don't even know what's approved in CA anymore.  Personally I'd buy whatever semiauto rifle I could get that didn't require the bullet button (Mini 14 maybe?).
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I love America but we can't make an AK worth a crap with the exception for a few out there. I want an ak that has a commy barrel and commy receiver so I know that it will be somewhat decent quality.
View Quote

things aren't the same as they were 5+ years ago. as long as you avoid builders like IO,  US made AKs are coming out high quality nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

things aren't the same as they were 5+ years ago. as long as you avoid builders like IO,  US made AKs are coming out high quality nowadays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's debatable with CAI's RAS-47 having issues and the Centurions with higher round counts are starting to see trouble too

get a WASR, fun to modify, reliable as any AK
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My m70ab2 and npap have been fine shooters. Great buys at around $500 ea.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd wait for the palmetto rifle, solid company with a good rep that isn't going anywhere, just in case there is any issues.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd wait for the palmetto rifle
View Quote

And that's exactly what you will do, you will wait......and wait......and wait.........
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I too would vote Arsenal SLR 104 or 107.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#14]
You can always build one from a parts kit .... or have a US builder build one from a PK if you dont want to deal w gathering all the tools.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Heck as long as its solid and will hold up AND has a commy receiver and barrel I am good with that. I don't know why I like the commy receiver and barrel it is just cool to me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Since the BS ATF barrel ban the "commie barrel" can only be found on the imported variants. Arsenal, WASR, etc. or you could pick up a used MAK-90 and deban it with a few parts and have what you're after. The barrel ban  really screwed the domestic AK production IMHO. Buying a kit built from a reputable builder with an original barrel on the used market might also be an option. Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since the BS ATF barrel ban the "commie barrel" can only be found on the imported variants. Arsenal, WASR, etc. or you could pick up a used MAK-90 and deban it with a few parts and have what you're after. The barrel ban  really screwed the domestic AK production IMHO. Buying a kit built from a reputable builder with an original barrel on the used market might also be an option. Good luck.
View Quote

Childers receivers are based off of Polish manufactured blanks. Kvar has Bulgarian CHF barrels. A domestic AK could use these parts. However builds with both won't be super common so you may have to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Arsenal SLR 104 or 107 is the best choice.  Next would be a converted Vepr Rifle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Need a cheap ,  kinda accurate rifle there Lee Harvey?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And that's exactly what you will do, you will wait......and wait......and wait.........
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd wait for the palmetto rifle

I want one but I don't want to be a beta tester...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Fellas this is an old Lee_Harvey aka JackTheSkipper thread, it probably needs to be locked.

dryflash3 in 3.....2.....1.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Just a suggestion for cheap shooting, build an AR upper in 7.62X39.
I have several AK's but as my eyes age I prefer optics and I just can't seem to find viable/affordable optic mounting solutions for my AK's.
I just built one and so far I am liking it. Going to use CPD mags and an extended firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#24]
System Message
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top