Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/25/2015 12:48:35 PM EDT
Interesting video, nothing ground breaking but just another data point and reference video.

How accurate is the AK?

I took a pistol class with Daniel that I really enjoyed, he is a good instructor and a good guy. His The Most Awesome Gun Video Ever!!! is pretty damn funny too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 1:06:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there any test for reference that has a ak in a fixed rest that would show stuff like this. Surely some lab has used there high tech equipment to find out. Differnt brands and differnt ammo in those brands.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That depends entirely on who made it. With AKs, it can even vary batch to batch. A good quality AK can be as accurate as an M4A1, but good quality AKs are hard to find.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Also the whole 'propaganda sights' on the AK had a specific purpose, it wasn't what many people seem to think. It isn't because their soldiers were trained to be such top-notch marksman to hit point-targets at 1000M. But it also isn't because the rifle is not capable of 'reaching out' and inflicting lethal hits at that same range either.

It was designed as a supplement to help on the battlefield with suppressing enemies at greater distances, 600-700-800, etc. If you had a group of 20 soldiers, 17 with AKM, 1 with an SVD and 2 with PKMs. But the enemy was hunkered down 900m out, you have the ability to lay down pretty effective suppressive fire from not JUST the 3 SVD/PKM guys, but ALSO your 'weaker cal.' AKM troops.

Yes, this is a far less than 'ideal' situation, really if anything. You want armor/tank support for moving towards enemy fortifications, but push comes to shove, it is better to have it than not. More or less today though, this 'tactic' is far, far less common. But it is still an aspect to consider, just like a bayonet can still stab you in the neck/rig-cage/etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#4]
600 yards with an AK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiHsavQNfxs
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
If I get on an 8X10 paper at 50 yards I am happy
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree AK with tula and AR with tula both shoot 2-4 moa. Furthest Ive taken mine is 500, but I can make hits pretty easy with red dots on both AR and AK 47-74
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
. A good quality AK can be as accurate as an M4A1, but good quality AKs are hard to find.
View Quote

They must be hard to find, because I've never seen one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
i seem to remember a 1000 yard AK that had "neva been dun befo".
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:24:42 PM EDT
[#9]
There is really no appreciable difference in accuracy between my SLR106 and SIG516 using the same ammo. If the SIG has a slight edge it is because the AR style sights allow a smaller sight picture than the AK sights.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
The most accurate AK rifles I own are. Maadi ARM, VZ2008 (Green Mountain barrel)  

I can hit a target the size of a human head at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The most accurate AK rifles I own are [...] VZ2008.
View Quote

Not an AK.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
My Saiga Izhmash is outstandingly accurate. Every person that's shot it says it's the most accurate AK they've ever seen. Too bad they are banned
I love my AR but I'll always be an AK guy. I also agree with the poster above that AK's quality varys by batches cause when I bought mine, of the 3 there 2 had canted sights.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#13]
An AK is designed for combat accuracy, not precision shooting.  It goes bang when you pull the trigger and it can hit a man sized target at typical combat distances.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not an AK.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The most accurate AK rifles I own are [...] VZ2008.

Not an AK.

Close enough to be an AK style rifle. Czechs are somewhat independent.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#15]
eh...  closer to compare the VZ action to an FAL or SKS.  Short stroke split piston and tilting bolt.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:54:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I can shoot clay pigeons at 100 yards pretty easily... I think AK are good enough
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:17:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't have any problem keeping them on a paper plate at 100 yards off handed. With wolf or tula steel case it works for me.

On a bench I get from 4" to 6" depending on the ammo. That's with the standard open sights with my SAR 1.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also the whole 'propaganda sights' on the AK had a specific purpose, it wasn't what many people seem to think. It isn't because their soldiers were trained to be such top-notch marksman to hit point-targets at 1000M [1]. But it also isn't because the rifle is not capable of 'reaching out' and inflicting lethal hits at that same range either.

It was designed as a supplement to help on the battlefield with suppressing enemies at greater distances, 600-700-800, etc. If you had a group of 20 soldiers, 17 with AKM, 1 with an SVD and 2 with PKMs. But the enemy was hunkered down 900m out, you have the ability to lay down pretty effective suppressive fire from not JUST the 3 SVD/PKM guys, but ALSO your 'weaker cal.' AKM troops.

Yes, this is a far less than 'ideal' situation....
View Quote

1. And, the US troops are?  The Army is happy if you can hit a man-size target at a 100 meters or less and at man sized target out to 150 meters 81% of the time.  The USMC is happy if you can hit a man-sized target at 300 meters or less and a man-sized target out to 500 yards 50% of the time.

Suppressive fire out to 900 meters?  In a tank crossing 900 meters would take almost 4 minutes, if you're walking to the objective, you'd better plan on at least ten to fifteen minutes to dross that distance.  If the assault element is that far out suppression will be done with artillery.  Small arms suppression is usually less than 100 meters.

The AK sights are the way they are because 1) European designs tend to traditionally favor notch rear sights.  2) Open notch sights offer a better field of view over peep sights. 3) They are simpler to make, 5) Extremely robust, and 6) Training people to use them is slightly easier.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool video, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
The new USA six land barrels are really outstanding shooters in a well made receiver.  One of my club members had made several AK's with the barrels and hitting a man torso steel target at 500 yards is no challenge.
All of his rifles are open sighted. He was using Wolf Gold and Russian Spec ammo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:10:17 AM EDT
[#21]
My square back 16" vepr using wolf 60gr has put 3 holes touching in a perfect triangle shape at 100 yards, with irons. As accurate as the scoped multi-thousand $$ rig that was shooting next to me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:27:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1. And, the US troops are?  The Army is happy if you can hit a man-size target at a 100 meters or less and at man sized target out to 150 meters 81% of the time.  The USMC is happy if you can hit a man-sized target at 300 meters or less and a man-sized target out to 500 yards 50% of the time.

Suppressive fire out to 900 meters?  In a tank crossing 900 meters would take almost 4 minutes, if you're walking to the objective, you'd better plan on at least ten to fifteen minutes to dross that distance.  If the assault element is that far out suppression will be done with artillery.  Small arms suppression is usually less than 100 meters.

The AK sights are the way they are because 1) European designs tend to traditionally favor notch rear sights.  2) Open notch sights offer a better field of view over peep sights. 3) They are simpler to make, 5) Extremely robust, and 6) Training people to use them is slightly easier.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Also the whole 'propaganda sights' on the AK had a specific purpose, it wasn't what many people seem to think. It isn't because their soldiers were trained to be such top-notch marksman to hit point-targets at 1000M [1]. But it also isn't because the rifle is not capable of 'reaching out' and inflicting lethal hits at that same range either.

Yes, this is a far less than 'ideal' situation....

I didn't bring up US military tactics, SOPs, etc. Which I've hit the 300m target on standard Army qual ranges a few times... But really this isn't what I'm talking about. Basically what I'm getting at is volley-fire, that is literally the only real purpose this sight is the way it is (marked out to 1000 meters). Even the US military once-upon a time, applied this same 'logic' to general-issue rifles. Such as the M1903 marked out to something like 2700 yards...

Then you simply state a bunch of inconsequential reasons as to why the sights are the way they are. Point 1) Okay, makes sense, 2) Yep, indeed, 3) Okay... 4) ... 5) Robust, yep.. 6) Sure, I suppose...

Look, I'm bringing up the 'old-school military logic' of volley-fire, even though much of this lost effect especially during WWII. But in some ways this fundamental 'thinking' has stuck around (hence we are talking about 800 or 1000M marked-sights). Just as we still have bayonet lugs on our rifles, yes, even in the US military.

Not trying to stir-poop up here, you just seem to have missed the point I was making.

Yes, of course I agree that 'in all seriousness' using an AK or an AR for that matter for volley-fire out to 1000m is less than ideal. BUT, it is capable of delivering lethal hits out to and beyond that distance. Just like a bayonet can still be lethal even today...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:49:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Have an SLR-101S I finally got around to shooting last weekend. Zero'd a Rakurs-A optic and commenced bouncing an old soda can at the very end of the 100 yard backstop with impunity. Not exactly Underwriters Laboratories, but no complaints from me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My square back 16" vepr using wolf 60gr has put 3 holes touching in a perfect triangle shape at 100 yards, with irons. As accurate as the scoped multi-thousand $$ rig that was shooting next to me.
View Quote

I get those from time to time with my Vepr and my Hungarian.

But surprised some tool hasn't already popped into this thread demanding a dozen 30-round groups for legitimacy and explaining that what we've previously shot is in fact meaningless and that our AK's are only capable of 12 MOA on a good day. This is why I don't bother to post targets anymore or any other meaningful data on accuracy from personal experience, makes the couch snipers cry like little girls.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I was tagging a 8x8 target at 200 plus yards yesterday offhand with 3-4 seconds between shots with my 56s with golden tiger. I was definitely on my game
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But surprised some tool hasn't already popped into this thread demanding a dozen 30-round groups for legitimacy and explaining that what we've previously shot is in fact meaningless and that our AK's are only capable of 12 MOA on a good day. This is why I don't bother to post targets anymore or any other meaningful data on accuracy from personal experience, makes the couch snipers cry like little girls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much.  It's a waste of time.  

Post a good 3 round group.. someone will say its worthless and to do 5 rounds next time.  Post a 5 round group.. out comes the guys who say only 20 round groups matter.  So you finally post a 20 round group... and out come the super studs who say it only matters if you fire a full 30 round magazine in a group.  Eventually you'll get guys saying if you fired the group from a bench its worthless since it isn't a combat shooting position or some shit.

It gets silly.  I don't even bother anymore.  I'm happy with how my AKs shoot.  That's all that matters to me.  I don't care about proving anything to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Post a good 3 round group.. someone will say its worthless and to do 5 rounds next time.  Post a 5 round group.. out comes the guys who say only 20 round groups matter.  So you finally post a 20 round group... and out come the super studs who say it only matters if you fire a full 30 round magazine in a group.  Eventually you'll get guys saying if you fired the group from a bench its worthless since it isn't a combat shooting position or some shit.

It gets silly.  I don't even bother anymore.  I'm happy with how my AKs shoot.  That's all that matters to me.  I don't care about proving anything to anyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

bingo

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Mine's about a 4-5MOA rifle. Some might be better than that, seen plenty that couldn't consistently hit a pie plate at 100y even off a good rest.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think both a 3-4 round group and a 20-30 round group would be useful, especial with an AK. I'd want to know both how it performs for the first few shots from a cold bore as well as how it performs during an extended rapid fire session. Shot from a bench with a good scope/mount so you'd at least know what the rifle is capable of. Then sight in with the iron sights or a red dot at 25 meters, which should have @ same POA / POI at 200 meters.

I mentioned this in another thread, but this guy (338ken) claims some pretty impressive results after fire lapping a Norinco Hunter:

http://68forums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-25972.html?s=784dcf221e778e8a2a91d2f240640946

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad293/338ken/AK-HunterGroup.jpg
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top